Chapter 5: A new study buddy
1.3k 0 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alice was sitting in front of a mirror while Mia, her personal maid, was brushing her hair.
After days of boredom in the mansion, Alice’s mother requested to see her.

(At last, something interesting might happen. I’m so bored without my studies. I almost miss astrology classes, even.)

Even though she meant that as a joke to herself, she had actually recently sneaked out of her room to read study books in the library, and the astrology one was among them.

Her schedule was pretty much empty since she had awakened her magic. After all, she didn’t need to know as much about every subject anymore. Or rather, her parents could not afford lessons that would not be useful in any way for two and a half years. It was sad, but she would have to wait three years to follow the lessons along with her little brother. She would be an adult by then.

Upon seeing her daughter, Leila de Ravendall broke into a bright smile and they greeted each other like true nobles. Ever since the head of the family became a count, they felt like they had to adapt the way they spoke to each other. However, even though they were more polite and distant when addressing one another, it was obvious Alice and her mother loved each other as much as before.

“I have amazing news for you, Ally!"
"What is it, Mother?"
"I am sure you remember the Marquis Isaac de Vallmont, his wife, and his children, right? They came twice to this mansion when your father had business with the Marquis some years ago."
"I do remember. It was rare to see such powerful people who would bother going to a baron family’s house. Along with their children on top of that."
"You are right. The Marquis was kind to our family even when your father was only a baron. It was because he respected your father’s skills and also because Marchioness Elaina and I used to get along well during tea parties. I seem to remember that Rachel, the oldest daughter of the Marquis, considered you a good friend at the time too, even though she is older than you."
"Did she? I guess it is a good thing to be on good terms with such a powerful family. So, are they coming to this mansion soon?"
"It is quite the opposite. This time, we are the ones going to their manor. Now that we are a count family, it is appropriate to visit them more frequently. And this is exactly what we will both do."
"Um… the both of us? Why would we go? Rather, why would you take me with you?"
"You are actually the one being invited, Ally. I am just accompanying you as your guardian."
"Eh? Me? To be honest, I do not even remember Rachel’s face…"
"You will not go there as Rachel’s friend. You will help Maximilian with his studies."
"... Who is that?"
"Do you really not remember? He is Rachel’s little brother. He is the same age as you."
"Ah, now I think I do. But if I am being honest, Mother, I still do not understand why I have to teach him…"
"It is more about assisting him than teaching him… Mia told me you were so bored that you sneaked out of your room to read a book about astrology, a subject you said you hated. I cannot possibly leave you like this when you are so eager to learn, Ally."
"S-she saw me do that?!"
"Anyway, when I told this to Marchioness Elaina in a letter, she said that Maximilian was struggling with his studies, and then she made this proposal to me. As you help him understand his least favorite subjects, you will be able to attend all the lessons from now until he has his coming-of-age ceremony and his awakening."
"This sounds like a good suggestion, but would I not be slowed down by him?"
"Since you are already awakened, you would no longer attend any lesson in the first place. Is it not better than nothing? Also, as you said just before, getting along with a marquis family is a good thing. Help Maximilian, get along with him and you will not regret it!"
"... Are you not just excited to go with me in order to visit the Marchioness?"
"Well, there is that too. However, it is not like I accepted all of this just for me or anything, okay?”

(Good grief, she already accepted this proposal without consulting me…)

Thus, at the start of the following week, Alice et Leila de Ravendall took off by carriage in the direction of Marquis Vallmont’s manor.

***

The journey towards the Marquis’ manor could not be described as peaceful. The Ravendalls’ carriage was quite old since it was built around the time the former baron Edgar de Ravendall married his wife Leila. Even though the carriage had undergone many modifications such that a count’s family could use it, it still lacked a proper suspension system. Apparently, the richer noble families had hydraulic or even air-assisted suspension, while the Ravendalls’ carriage had only old springs to dampen all the bumping. With this rough terrain, it was not enough to avoid pain and soreness.

(If this becomes a regular trip, I probably should think of some way to alleviate the pain with my magic. After all, the kinetic energy from the bumping is responsible for the pain in the first place.)

Inside the carriage were Countess Leila de Ravendall, her daughter Alice de Ravendall, and their respective maids. Leila’s maid, Kathrynn, was probably twice as old as her. Yet, even with her gray hair, she couldn’t be described as anything other than beautiful or elegant. Her posture was so perfect despite all the rattle from the carriage that Mia wanted to cry.
Indeed, the young maid was desperately clinging to her seat so that she would not fall onto her master. Kathrynn saw through Mia immediately and seemed quite amused.

Although this trip lasted only about two hours, everyone in the carriage was exhausted and their butts were hurting.

 

“Are you even human, Kathy? How come you look perfectly good after this?!”

At some distance from their masters, Mia asked this to Kathrynn while lowering her voice. Little did she know that Leila and Alice could still perfectly hear her, even though they acted like they didn’t. In reality, Kathrynn was especially in pain, probably because of her age, but nonetheless considered that a master should not have to worry about an attendant. She was simply trained to act like there was nothing wrong.
Fortunately, Marchioness Elaina promised in her letter that she would lend them their personal healing mage to ease their pain because she predicted they would use this particular carriage.

Upon walking towards the manor, the Marchioness came out and walked some distance to meet them on their way, and then greeted the Countess and her daughter. She was a gorgeous woman with light pink hair. Alice thought Elaina’s blue eyes were beautiful, almost as much as her mother’s.

“Even though Maximilian and you are the same age, you are so much shorter. You are so adorable!”

(Gaaaah! Why would you humiliate me from the get-go?! Here I was thinking how beautiful you are!)

“Oh, but do not worry, I do think it is better this way. I was worried about leaving a big girl with my precious son alone in his room."
"Mother, please stop saying such embarrassing things!”

As they were all walking towards the manor, a boy with pitch-black hair opened the door and complained to his mother. He had apparently been listening to their conversation through the door but he decided at some point to intervene before things got too weird between Alice and him.
They hardly knew each other, after all. They had met only twice and, on both occasions, Alice talked only to his older sister Rachel while Maximilian had to play in a corner of the room with Alice’s little brother who could barely talk at the time. Needless to say, Alice did not leave a good impression on him.
Anyway, now that he made everyone aware of the fact that he was here the whole time, he felt like he had to get outside to greet them too.

“Good morning to you two. Please treat me well."
"Good morning Maximilian. It has been quite some time, and you grew up so much. You are handsome."
"I… am looking forward to helping you with your studies.”

Even though they were both 12 years old, he was more than two heads taller than Alice, who felt she had lost the battle. It was as if she was a young child Maximilian had to play with.
By the look of it, he must have inherited this height from his father since Marchioness Elaina was actually a rather short woman herself.
Still, it was clear they were mother and son, as they had the same dazzling blue eyes. Actually, the Marchioness looked so incredibly young that it was hard to believe she was over thirty years of age. She could totally pass as Maximilian’s older sister.

“Your mother told me where your lessons were approximately stopped, so I am sure you will be able to catch up with Max soon enough. From then on, I ask that you attend his lessons along with him. I hope that you will help him if there is something he does not understand. He attends three lessons per week.”

(Only three? I personally had four, but they were probably shorter than his.)

Alice nodded to the Marchioness. She was really looking forward to attending classes once again, this time with really good teachers hired by this rich family.

“Maximilian, please show your room to your new study partner. You two can talk about your studies while I explain the specifics to the Countess."
"Alright Mother, I will do it.”

With an impassive face, Maximilian waited for Alice to start walking. He was seriously planning to guide her to his room.

(What?! I don’t want to be in a room alone with him though?!)

The introverted girl was screaming in her head, but she still managed to maintain her façade and her regular stoic face. She then proceeded to obediently follow Maximilian.

46