Chapter 40: Summon
449 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You certainly seem pleased to visit her, Lady Alice," said Mia as her master was humming while looking at the moving landscape.
"It is only natural. I finally have a good reason to meet my friend. Still, I wonder why I am being called."
"I wonder as well. Maybe she will once again ask you to be a punching bag for her training."
"... Is that how the relationship I have with Rachel looks like to you? There is no way she would summon me for this reason. Rather, what if she is angry that I abruptly stopped coming to her mansion when I came of age...?"
"I doubt it. Lady Rachel is not like that."
"You are right. It might actually be about Maximilian. Perhaps he is struggling in his classes now that I am no longer around. Did I make him too dependent on me...?"
"I think you are mistaken, my Lady," the maid said as she sighed. "If anything, I am sure Lord Maximilian has now a clearer grasp of the concepts he is taught."
"Eh? What are you implying, Mia?"
"Well, your explanations are often more confusing than helpful. They are counterproductive."
"How about showing a little respect to the person you serve?!" Alice pouted.

Now that Alice was an adult, the presence of a guardian was no longer necessary. As such, she was traveling toward the Vallmonts' estate with only her personal maid sitting in front of her while two guards were driving the carriage.

"You really have become more expressive, Lady Alice."
"W-why bring that up all of a sudden?" Alice bashfully asked. "... Is that true?"
"It is. Just earlier, you seemed really happy. I had never heard your singing voice before."
"O-oh... Was I humming audibly? I am sorry you had to hear that..."
"It was lovely, my Lady. What was this song?"
"It was a traditional song normally shared among beastfolks. A new friend of mine is always humming it."
"So you made friends. In the end, it might not be such a bad thing that you learn about how common people live. This change of life seems to bear its fruits, already."
"You think so?!" Alice beamed as someone was for the first time approving the choice she made.
"You really needed to talk with more people, considering how socially inept you have been. It will surely prove useful for your noble duties."

(T-this little...! So it was all about my duties...)

"... And here I thought you meant it as an opportunity for self-growth and personal fulfillment," Alice coldly said.
"Such things are only secondary for nobles."
Sensing disappointment in her master's expression, Mia softened her expression. "I was only jesting, my Lady."
"Eh?"
"I am sincerely happy to see that you have found something you truly like."
"Mia..." 

An authentic smile from her maid was a rare sight for Alice. For the past year, she had seen Mia genuinely smile only a few times, with each instance being only a brief lapse in her usual composed demeanor. To Alice, in a way, her personal maid had experienced an opposite change.
If she had grown from a recluse, once unable to display her expressions, to someone who could connect with others, then Mia had transformed from an inexperienced teen girl who was an open book to a competent woman capable of maintaining her composure regardless of the situation.

"... I never realized you had a sense of humor."
"Of course I would have..."
"Did you develop that skill because you feel bored and lonely without me?"
"You still need to work on your jokes yourself, my Lady. I have never been so busy. When I am not your personal maid, I become just a regular maid and I have to clean the manor all day."
"Ah. I am sorry about that. Do not overdo it, however. You are tall, so it might be hard on your back... How about you take a few days off, for once? I can ask Mother and Father to give you some."
"I would not know what to do on a day off. I would be more useful by cleaning your room."
"Your existence does not revolve around being a maid, does it? Here is what I suggest: we both go out on your day off and visit Phesiora. You rarely leave the manor, after all. I will show you all the shops I like and you will try the food from my favorite restaurant."
"... Is this an order?"

(This girl...)

"It would not be a day off if I were ordering you around... On this day you would not call me 'Lady Alice' and you would wear something different. Something that blends well in the commoners' districts. How does that sound, Mia?"
"I like the idea. I am curious about the sort of life you are experiencing over there, my Lady," the maid said as she lightly smiled. 

Well, that was until she noticed a thin red line through the collar of her master's dress. 

"Lady Alice. Show me your neck."
"Eh? W-whatever are you talking about...?" Alice asked, dodging her gaze. "S-see? there is nothing!"
"No. Show me the other side."
"I cannot do that..." Alice started, slowly raising her head to take a glimpse at Mia's expression, only to let out a squeal when their eyes met.
"I knew something was off when you insisted on putting on your dress by yourself," Mia sighed. "Plus, choosing a dress with a collar on such a warm day really is unlike you."
"Just from that...? You could be a detective with that skill."
"You are just oblivious, my Lady. It was a given that putting a white collar over a wound that had not fully healed would expose you."
"Ah..." Alice let out as she realized her discrete makeshift bandage hadn't held up.
"I see it has not completely closed," Mia remarked as she examined Alice's neck. "When did this happen?"
"Mmh... About four days ago? I disinfect it every day properly, but it still refuses to close."
"This may in fact be a good thing."
"... How so?"
"You are visiting the Vallmont's mansion, Lady Alice. If the wound is not closed yet, this means Sir Lucius might be able to do something about it with his Healing magic."
"Oh, good thinking!"
"... Was it caused by a knife? Please do not damage your skin like this."
"Well, it was... a sword. I admit that I was a bit careless, but my presence in this fight might very well have saved numerous people. That includes my new friend and even a baroness."
"Even a baroness...? When you put it like this, my Lady, I cannot say anything..." the maid said as she patted her master. "I cannot exactly congratulate you, but risking your life for people regardless of their status shows how kind you are."
"... Thank you."
"However, depending on what Sir Lucius can do, I may have to inform your parents about this wound."
"Anything but that!"

***

"Alice! It is good to see you," exclaimed Elaina de Vallmont. "You must be quite busy now that you are an adult."
"Good morning. I have little to no spare time, but this is a good experience."
"I hope Rachel's invitation was not too inconvenient for you... She only informed me this morning that you were coming."
"Well, Rachel has always been rather spontaneous... I am happy to be back, even for a day."
"Oh my, we are glad to have you as well. Although I am the only one for now... What is taking her so long?" Elaina wondered aloud while looking at her pocket watch.

When a maid whispered the situation to Elaina, she reflexively started massaging her temples. "I apologize, Alice. It appears Rachel has not even started dressing up."
"O-oh. Alright, I do not mind."
"I might need to slightly reschedule what I was planning," the Marchioness said as she turned to the maid. "Please call for Maximilian. Tell him it is urgent."
As she watched the maid promptly walk away, Alice couldn't help but frown. "... Maximilian? You do not need to bother him. I am fine with waiting in the antechamber if you are busy..." 
"He can at least do this much. Besides, I wanted to have a conversation with both of you. Would you rather not see him?"
"I... I am of course glad to see how he is doing. I regret stopping the curriculum so suddenly, so I would like to apologize."
"I see. Then, you are free to do so right now," she said as she looked behind Alice.

"Alice...? What are you doing here?"

As Alice turned to the familiar voice, she saw her study buddy from the last two years.

(There it is! That annoyed look, as if he had just been told to take care of a young cousin. I almost missed that.)

"Max... You could at least greet her. Please show a bit of interest."
"I did ask why she was there. Good morning."
"... Good morning, Maximilian. I am visiting because your sister summoned me."
"I see. Knowing her, she must still be preparing herself, which may be your reason for calling me, Mother."
"That is exactly right~. Go ahead and join us, Max."
"... Alright."

(He does not look too enthusiastic... Sorry for existing, I suppose.)

"So," Alice began, "Are your studies going well?"
"They are. The tutors say I've made more progress during this past month than ever before."

Alice glanced toward Mia, who had predicted something along those lines earlier, but the maid evaded her gaze with what looked like a repressed grin.

(That's... a coincidence.)

"Congratulations, although I am not too surprised since you have always been serious in your studies. When will they stop?"
"I will have my coming-of-age ceremony in less than a month now, so I would expect them to end soon."
"So it is coming up... This will be your second time in the capital, correct?"
"Indeed, I went there for my sister's ceremony back then. She wanted to see more of the city, so I suppose she will drag me everywhere once again," he said with a slight sigh.
"About this," the Marchioness bulged in, "Rachel will not accompany us this time."
Surprised and with a hint of displeasure, Maximilian asked, "Why would she not?"

(Ah. Things are about to get awkward. Why does she have to say that while I'm here?)

Not knowing where to put herself, Alice chose to sip on her tea and observe how the conversation would unfold.

"Rachel will attend a few events in place of your father precisely during our stay in the capital. As his only adult child, Rachel has to represent our family."
"I... was not told about it before."
"I only talked about it with your sister a couple of days ago. That is truly a shame," Elaina said before turning toward Alice. "Leila mentioned your interest in exploring more of the capital. As we just so happen to have a vacant place, Alice, we can take you to the capital with us. What do you think?"
Maximilian frowned. "Quite the timely offer, huh...?"
"... Taking me there? Would that be alright...?"
"Of course! We would be leaving in two weeks. Are you interested?"
"I will gladly accept your offer, then!" Alice exclaimed. "Thank you very much." 

(I know I shouldn't rejoice about Rachel not being able to attend, but this is a good opportunity to look more into the commoner parts of the capital! I'll even be able to look at how things are at the Guild branch of the capital. Maybe I'll meet S-ranks, if they exist!)

"To think Sister would one day represent our family at a noble event... I am a bit anxious, I must say."
"Do not be so harsh on her, Max. She might have been lacking in etiquette before, but she has made tremendous progress as of late. She would not embar-"
"Alice!! Sorry, I'm late!" Rachel de Vallmont, the supposedly transformed lady, yelled as she slammed the door open. "...?! Come on, are you all really having a tea party without me? Unbelievable."

Illustration

[collapse]

As Elaina started to massage her temples once again, Maximilian contented himself with a "See?".

16