22. Telling Stories
750 5 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My tail continued to wag happily after my parents and I finished all the hugs and initial greetings. The fact that they'd both accepted me had my cheeks almost sore from how wide I was smiling.

On the other hand I was still getting used to how much taller my mom and dad seemed to be, compared to my new smaller body. Not that I was complaining, I absolutely loved everything about the new me.

After another couple seconds I finally noticed my parents' eyes had shifted past me. They were now staring at my friends, or more specifically they were both looking at Lia. And they obviously noticed how alike the two of us were.

"Tori," dad asked slowly, "Maybe you should introduce us to your friends?"

My wagging tail slowed down as my smile faltered. I wasn't dreading this, but I was definitely concerned about how my parents would handle me 'adopting' Lia as my little sister.

I nodded but suggested, "Let's do that inside ok? I'm sure the introductions are going to segue into some long stories, and I'd rather not do that while we're all standing in the doorway."

"Good idea," mom agreed.

In fact rather than just step into the front hall for introductions, mom got us all comfortable in the family room. Then she got us all drinks and settled into a seat as well, before we were finally ready to tackle the next big challenge.

My friends and I were all sitting on the big comfy sofa that sat against the side wall, with me in the middle this time. Soneya was on my left and Lia on my right. Dad was opposite us in his big leather recliner as usual, and mom was to the left of him in her favourite drum chair. My friends and I all had bottles of spring water, dad had a glass of beer and mom a glass of red wine.

I had a gulp of water then took a deep breath and began, "Soneya, Lia, these are my parents. My mom, Andrea Chapman, and my dad Trevor Chapman."

After another breath I continued, "Mom and dad, this is Soneya Amarïs, and this is um, Lia Chapman. They're my new friends... Except calling them 'friends' doesn't feel adequate enough. I wouldn't be here now if not for the two of them, it honestly feels like the three of us are practically family after all we've been through."

Soneya nodded her head slightly and in a polite tone stated, "Hello Mr. and Mrs. Chapman. It's an honour to meet you both."

Meanwhile Lia just grinned and waved, "Hi!"

"Hello Soneya, Lia," mom replied, "It's nice to meet you both as well."

My dad agreed, "Same. I'm sure Andrea is as curious as I am to hear how you girls all met up, and how you gained your er, ears and tails?"

His voice trailed off a bit at the end and he grimaced, "That sounds so damned peculiar to say, but I'm sure it's going to be a heck of a story."

"Indeed," mom added with an awkward smile. "It's an interesting coincidence, that Lia shares the same surname and bears a strong resemblance to you Tori."

I grimaced, "Yeah. It's um... Maybe it's best if I just spit it out, then we can fill in the details later. I've basically adopted Lia as my little sister. She had nowhere to go, no home or anything, and even before she looked like me we'd taken to calling each other sister. I was big sister, she was small sister. And like I said, after everything we've been through we really do feel like family by now. All three of us, I mean. Anyways after all that, when Lia ended up looking like me it just seemed natural to give her our last name, since she didn't have one of her own."

It took my parents a few moments to process everything I'd just said, and obviously that left them with even more questions than answers. Which both mom and dad started asking, talking over each other as they voiced all the things they were curious about.

After a couple seconds I cut them both off and suggested, "Why don't I just start at the beginning, ok?"

"Ok kiddo," dad replied. "Begin at the beginning, and we'll try and hold our questions until the end."

That basically kicked off what amounted to me giving my parents a two-hour lecture, without the benefit of slides or handouts. Soneya chimed in now and then with additional details or corrections, when I forgot something or got things in the wrong order. Lia mostly stayed quiet, which was probably for the best. Although I'd honestly be interested in hearing her version of the story myself, since I knew it would probably be unique and entertaining.

I started the story on Tuesday afternoon with the malaise or depression I felt, how I was torn between giving up on my dream vacation and heading home early or trying to make the most of a hiking trip after being abandoned by my friends. I told them about the small fox who visited my camp a few times, then I told them about the earthquake and how the ground bucked and heaved while trees were falling down all around me.

Then I covered Tuesday night, seeing that strange mountain and the lights in the sky, the way Lac Côté had drained, and how I decided to head back to the car. I told them about stopping at the edge of what was formerly Lac Thibault where I experienced my miraculous transformation. I told them about the fox accompanying me back to my car, but I didn't mention how she and I were already communicating.

Next I covered how Soneya and I met, but I didn't say anything about her appearance or that she was trans. I did tell them about her trail name, I actually made a big deal out of how she was so experienced at hiking in the mountans that she got the name Alpine. That left the tall strong wolfgirl blushing, which may have been what I was aiming for.

After that I glossed over quite a few details, like I mentioned we saw a hiker get killed but I didn't tell them how exactly. I did tell them how hard it was travelling that first day, with the shattered landscape and how we had to go up and over mountains and stuff. I told them about the three helicopters we saw crash, and about the guy who threatened to shoot us. I got Soneya to blush again as I talked about her bravery and quick-thinking, how she saved all three of us from that incident. I didn't mention her magic though.

From there I skipped about as many details as I shared, like I didn't say we stole that guy's pick-up but I did say we caught a lucky break and got a lift to Amqui. And while I talked about Lia being with us I never mentioned how or when that happened, but I did stop talking about our small fox friend. I was positive those were some of the questions my parents were planning to ask about, like did we leave the fox behind in the park and where did we find Lia. Fortunately they didn't interrupt, like dad said they appeared to be holding back until I finished my story.

I continued the story with our time in Amqui, shopping and checking in at the hotel, then finally getting a proper shower. And a proper look at my new self in the bathroom mirror. Then I braced myself and got to the part I'd been dreading.

"It was right around that point that something happened to Lia," I explained. "She'd been our small fox friend all along, but suddenly she found herself transformed into the young foxgirl sitting next to me. Which is why she needed a last name, and considering how much she and I look like family it just seemed natural to share our family name with her."

By that point my folks were both staring at my small sister, but if Lia felt any discomfort or awkwardness it sure didn't show. She just smiled and asked, "After the story's over can we get food?"

Despite my anxiety about the situation I couldn't help smiling. I'd already noticed Lia was very food-oriented, it was almost becoming a theme with her. Although after introducing her to cartoons and streaming I couldn't help wondering if that would become her other big focus.

I gave her a side-hug and told her, "I'm sure we'll get to the food in a bit, small sister. Let me finish my story first, ok?"

"Ok Tori," she replied with another smile.

There were a few quiet seconds after that, but neither of my parents spoke up so I decided to push through and get to the end of the story. I told them of our early start yesterday morning and the long drive home. I didn't mention the thing with all our senses getting enhanced, and so far I hadn't mentioned any magic at all, not even my own. Then I finally wrapped up the story with the three of us getting to my place last night.

I told my parents how I broke down after getting back to my apartment, how all the fear and stress and uncertainty of the previous five or six days hit me at once, but Soneya and Lia helped me through it. And finally I told them how the three of us still had a lot of challenges ahead, because of how we'd all changed and everything.

"So um, that's pretty much it?" I sighed. "I got a miracle transition Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning. I absolutely love my new body, even the ears and tail? Except now I look and sound completely different. I've been terrified you two wouldn't believe I was really your daughter. And I still don't know what's going to happen with work."

With another sigh I added, "Soneya's got similar problems, with her wolf ears and tail. She wasn't sure she could cross the border back into the USA so I invited her to stay with me for as long as she wants. And I've basically adopted Lia. Until two days ago she was a fox, now she's my little sister."

By the time I was done my parents had both finished their drinks, Soneya and Lia were part-way through their water. I had a few gulps of my drink as well, but everyone was pretty much quiet for a little while. My friends and I were waiting to see what was going to happen, while my parents were probably still processing everything they'd just learned.

In the end it was mom who broke the silence. And I was both surprised and a little worried when she addressed my little sister instead of me.

"Lia," mom said slowly as she seemed to be almost studying the cute foxgirl next to me, "Is this true? Were you really a fox before you became...Tori's sister?"

Our small sister nodded, "Yeah! I don't know how or why but something happened to me the night that the earth shook and the ground ate my den. I guess I became smarter? I could talk and communicate with my big sister Tori, even before she knew she was my big sister. Then she changed too and got a proper tail and ears and everything. And she promised to bring me home to her den, since I lost mine."

"Oh..." My mom didn't seem to know quite how to respond to that at first. Then she asked, "And um, are you happy to be a person now, instead of a fox?"

Lia nodded again, "Yeah! Now I can go into the human places where they give you food. I couldn't go into those places before because they don't like foxes or other animals. Or if I did go into those places, I had to hide so nobody could see me."

Mom gave her a tentative smile, "All right Lia. I'm glad you're happy about that."

Then mom turned her attention to my other friend, "And Soneya, how do you feel about all this? Are you all right with how you've changed, the lupine ears and tail?"

"Yes ma'am," our tall strong wolfgirl replied. She had a relaxed smile on her face as she elaborated, "I'll be honest it took some getting used to at first, and things were kind of confusing at times? But all things considered, it really didn't take much before I was comfortable and happy with how everything turned out."

"Good," mom smiled back. "I'm glad all three of you are happy with things. Have you spoken with your own family yet? And I hope this isn't a sensitive subject, but were you planning to stay with Tori or are you going to be heading back home at some point?"

The wolfgirl sighed, "I talked with my folks a little while ago. Things are a bit strained with them, but I'd rather not discuss that. As for getting home, I don't want to risk trying to cross the border, not with how I've changed. Uh, these ears and the tail would make me stand out too much and I don't know that I'd be safe."

She added, "On the other hand I've got a lot of the same concerns as Tori, about the future? I'm worried about finances, how we're going to pay for food and everything. Tori's place is cosy but I know it might feel cramped in time, with three of us living there. And most of all I'm worried what might happen to us as more people realize there's a couple real live foxgirls and a wolfgirl living here."

My dad finally spoke up, "Those are all very valid concerns Soneya, that last one especially."

He hesitated a moment, then asked "Do any of you know how you changed? Or why? What caused it, what happened to you?"

I glanced left and right at my two friends, then looked back at dad and replied, "I know I called it my miracle transition, but honestly dad? I think it's magic. I think something bigger and more profound than any of us can understand did this, for reasons none of us can comprehend. Not yet at least. But magic is the word I'm using to explain it."

"What makes you so sure it's magic? Or what makes you want to use that word, instead of any other explanation?" mom asked.

I hesitated again, then replied "Because a couple days after it happened, I discovered I could do some magic of my own."

Then while the two of them were watching I held up my half-full bottle of spring water, and slowly turned it over so the water poured out. It never reached the floor though, I caught it mid-air with my magic, and held it until there was a fist-sized ball of water floating in the air in front of me.

Mom and dad were both staring, wide-eyed and slack-jawed. Neither of them said a word, they just stared silent and speechless.

"I can't explain it," I stated quietly, "I can't tell you how it works, but I can feel the water with my mind, and I can control it."

Then I added with a smile, "Honestly it's incredibly convenient when it comes to drying off my big floofy tail after a shower. I probably save a few hours by just forcing the water out with magic."

This is a commissioned story, so updates only happen when patrons commission a new chapter. Patrons always get chapters one or two weeks before anyone else, so if you're eager to get caught-up join are Patreon and you'll get all the latest chapters and new stories! And if you'd like to help move this story along, think about sponsoring a chapter!
Today's chapter was courtesy of Jess who commissioned it!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

59