Chapter 151: Trail
2.6k 13 78
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The incessant beeping of my alarm brought me to consciousness. Although I still didn’t feel quite at 100%, I decided eight hours was enough and tore off my covers. 

Although the building was temperature controlled, my room specifically didn’t have much in the way of active heating. Because of that, the small window I had was a rude source of frosty air. 

I shivered a bit. My blankets were toasty cozy. The cold air around the room made me want to shrink back under them and go to sleep for another four hours. 

Unfortunately, this was not the day I wanted to be late. Thankfully I had my Warm Socks on, so I had no issue stepping onto the otherwise icy floor and dressing myself. 

I threw on my thermal pants from Colonel Kotts, a shirt and my coat, plus some normal boots, before rubbing my hands together and leaving the room. 

The bathrooms were communal here. Thankfully, the residential complex I was in was higher quality than the barracks. There were only two people in a relatively clean bathroom, one of whom was Commander Pollux. 

I gave him a silent salute, getting a nod in response before we went about our business. After that I headed to the chow hall. 

There, I found some piping hot beverages and morning snacks. There were two cooks on duty at this hour, no doubt there for people like us who had to be up at the asscrack of dawn. 

I grabbed a few snacks before lighting a cigar, taking a few puffs and feeling a pleasant wave of rejuvenation and cleansing. These things were the best for washing out morning fatigue. 

It was soon after I sat down that Commander Pollux, along with nearly all of Beta Platoon, arrived. They filed in relatively quietly, grabbing plates of food and tables.

I glanced at them momentarily, the knight Eric catching my eye for a split second before I turned away. 

Their gazes collectively landed on me for a moment before other things occupied their attention and they made their way to their tables, but a group did split off and make their way toward me. 

“Mind if we sit, Cooper?”

“... Please.”

I motioned while taking a better look. 

Three girls and two guys. Two were warlocks, three were knights. None were Eric, so they were so far alright to me. 

“Commander Pollux talked to me last night. It looks like I’m going to be your babysitter from now.”

The female knight who sat down across from me spoke first. Beneath her overcoat was a shirt with the name tag A. Weber. She was a fit girl with jet black hair, pale skin, and above average looks, though most knights were pretty good looking. She also seemed rather energetic. 

I nodded to her. 

“I’ll do my best to stay out of trouble.”

“I don’t know… all those scars tell a different story. I don’t mind, but it would help if we took extra care. The rest of the frontline strongholds don’t prepare you for the shit you can encounter here.”

“I heard it was plenty hostile. I’ll defer to you then.”

“Appreciated. First Sergeant Amary Weber. Pleased to meet you.”

“Officer John Cooper.”

I shook her hand, smiling at her rank. Seemed I would be getting an Authority 6 bodyguard, though it would remain to be seen how reliable she was compared to Feiden or Vetsmon. 

I really wished I had Feiden with me, but it seemed he was shipped off somewhere else. The last time I asked about it, he said he was given a pretty good opportunity, though didn’t want to share details until he had some time to establish himself. I had yet to hear back. 

Either way, I was pretty sure that he was better than this Amary. She was definitely an Authority 6, but my squad could fight well above their power levels. 

Not that I’d make her an enemy. I just couldn’t help but compare. 

I’d make sure to learn as much as I could from her. This was a different place with different dangers. I didn’t want my Aura to be my only safety net. 

The male warlock spoke from the side, sticking out his hand. 

“Gabe Trent.”

“Nice to meet you, Gabe.”

“You’re an Authority Five?”

“Yes.”

“But you’re a summoner? I saw your little stunt in the rec room. What was that thing you used?”

“My weapon.”

I lifted my hand and squeezed in the approximate shape of a gun. The 1911 popped into my hand. 

“You can think of it like a bow. It shoots projectiles.”

“That little thing?”

“Mm.”

“...”

He scrutinized it, probably trying to find something about its features that would justify any reasonable power. It certainly didn’t look like a bow. 

I chuckled.

“You’ll just have to trust me. The only downside to my weapons is the noise. It’s an explosion every time I use them.”

“Yes, my ears were ringing yesterday when you used that thing. That could be a problem when we’re trying to stay low.”

“Mm. I’m thinking about some strategies to mitigate the issue, but I’ll need some field testing.”

“Indeed.”

He nodded in agreement. 

Suddenly, the rest of the table twitched to attention. I followed a moment later as I heard Commander Pollux draw a breath.

“Start heading over to the briefing room.”

With that order, people started to finish off their foodstuffs before heading out. Those at my table were among the group, all of us making our way to Briefing Room Two. 

A few people were already there, including Colonel Polly, who was fiddling with a map displayed on the front wall of the room. 

We all sat down. Once everyone seemed to be inside, I did a quick headcount. 

Beta Platoon was composed of 48 people, including me. 

“Alright, listen up. Today, you’ve all got sensor maintenance and recon.”

Polly spoke, pointing at the map. In one corner I could see Stronghold Charlie, and in the other, I saw our objective area, outlined with a big red circle. 

“Alpha Platoon had a moderate battle yesterday after intercepting a small detachment of Royals. Those Royals were going around and destroying our sensors and traps. You are responsible for replacing 18 sensors at the marked points. At the same time, we need to find out why the Royals were destroying our sensors. Recon has been requested on Hare’s Pass and Scythe’s Peak. Check for Scourge activity, report back, get those sensors deployed, and come home. Since you all are deploying past the Black Forest, prepare for an overnight stay.”

Polly then started speaking to individual squads, assigning them specific instructions on what to do with the sensors. I learned that I was actually to break off from my squad and perform a separate duty, but wasn’t given any details then on. 

As she finished, she looked around the room.”

“Any questions?”

Eric’s hand shot up. 

“Yeah, uh, do we have to?”

“I don’t answer stupid questions. Any others?”

“...”

A few people snickered, but nobody asked anything else. So, Polly snapped the folder in her hands shut. 

“You deploy at 0630 hours. Dismissed.”

“Alright people, grab your camp gear and stash two trucks. I also want four Steeds running hot. Anybody not packed and ready by 0610 gets the night watch.”

Commander Pollux ordered us out and we made our way to the garage with purpose.

“Cooper. A minute.”

I heard Polly call me, so I stopped in my steps and approached. 

Commander Pollux stayed behind as well. 

“Today, we’re going to see how you handle. You’re the new Communications Liaison for Beta Platoon. That means you’ll have me in your ear. Besides Pollux, you’re the only one with a line back to base. Now, let me give you a small rundown of what happens when you arrive at the operation site.”

Polly pulled out the map, pointing to the circled area where we needed to deploy sensors and recon. I simply listened. 

“After arrival, so long as you don’t get ambushed by the Scourge, Pollux will divide the platoon into four squads. They will usually be divided from there based on the workload. Those details are up to him. However, we need to maintain active command over all groups. Since there are only two people with a line back to base, what do you think we need to do?”

“Have Commander Pollux and I in contact with two squads each.”

“Correct. Each of the squads will have one or two short range Aerials that they can use to contact you. Normally, so long as they aren’t that far away or aren’t divided by mountains, they can also contact other squads and Pollux. But that doesn’t always happen, and it’s your responsibility to make sure that your squads are capable of receiving orders, whether that’s from me or Pollux. You’ll also need to relay information from them to us. Now Aerials normally have a relatively short range and I’d have to give you one to use. But I was given a message regarding you and your Aerial. I was told that it was much more effective than normal.”

“Yes ma’am.”

I nodded, recalling the details.

“My Aerial has a much longer range, as well as its own Node. If we set it up, I could be a link between Pollux and all the squads, as well as the base.”

“Its own Node? We’ll figure that out later. You’ll use the Repeater Nodes that we’ve placed out there for today. The map I gave you has them marked, so remember where they are and stay in range. You’ll probably have to move independently of the other squads. Pollux will figure out the details with you.”

“Understood.”

“Good. Use those summoner smarts and we won’t have any issues. For the most part, squads can take care of themselves, but I still need to file objective completion and recon reports. That’s stuff you’ll need to receive from the squads and relay back to me and Pollux. I’ll walk you through as you go. Just remember to pay attention to the details.”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Alright, dismissed. Go pack.”

She waved me and Pollux off. 

He spoke as we left headquarters. 

“Occasionally, we need to set up camp out there in the wild. Go to Josh and receive the standard camp kit. Don’t worry about food beyond what’s in your kit. Pack anything else you think you might need, including a blanket or two, and then meet me at the garage. You might be taking a bike.”

“Yes sir.”

I gave a quick salute and then split off. 

At the armory, I received the camp kit. It was a simple tent with a sleeping bag, some emergency rations, a water canteen, a tiny lighter thing that could be both a heat source and light source, and a big bag to pack stuff into. 

I just threw it in my storage band. I also went to my room and grabbed a blanket and pillow. 

With all that, I was more than prepared to survive a night in the woods. 

I also decided to put on my armored pants and boots. I kept my coat over my shirt, but also I threw on the fur lined coat that had the white camo. 

With that, I made my way to the garage. The rest of the Platoon was packing trucks with supplies like sensors and food while readying the Steeds for deployment. 

I found Pollux with a hand on a heavily modified, probably personal, bike. A generic model was also parked beside it. 

“Alright Cooper. How well can you ride one of these bikes?”

“Very well, sir. So long as they have wheels made for snow, I’ll have no issues.”

“Good. The bikes are already prepared for our terrain. And since you’ve apparently got your own spatial storage, you’re more than light enough for a bike. Weber will be riding with you. She knows how to drive too, so you two can figure out between yourselves who makes the trips.”

“Yes sir.”

I nodded and looked around. The sun was gradually starting to peek over some mountains, and Amary was hauling supplies into the trucks. 

I sat on the bike, occasionally taking a package or chest of supplies, until she was done. I basically had everything I owned inside my storages, so there was no way I was forgetting anything, even if I didn’t feel prepared for this mission. 

At some point, Amary walked over with a smile on her face. She wore a snow coat over plate armor. She seemed to have a spatial storage as well since I didn’t see her helmet. 

“Alright Cooper. I was thinking I could drive there, and you can drive back. Sound good?”

“No objections here.”

“I hope you have some kind of face protection too. Those winds can be hard on the face.”

“Yes, I’ve got that covered.”

I thought about my mask, which was probably better for this environment than the aviator goggles. I could also wear my hood for insulation against the cold. 

I was interrupted from my thoughts by a shout.

“Deployment in 15 minutes! Get those Crystals hot!”

Pollux’s voice echoed through the Garage. I then saw the trucks and Steeds light up with enchantments and magic power.

Before long, people started lingering. Everyone was ready. 

Pollux boarded his bike and walked it out of the Garage. Amary waved me over when she saw that, prompting me to jump on the bike behind her. We rolled up beside him. 

Pollux put on a special pair of goggles, a thin construction with a slit through the middle. They were snow goggles, meant to prevent snow blindness, but apparently also served just as well protecting from the wind while riding. 

The sun cast an orange glow on the snowy mountain peaks in the distance as the rest of the vehicles rolled out behind us. 

We waited for a minute or so until I got a ping on my Aerial from Polly. 

I answered. 

“Handler to Liaison. Comm check.”

“Liaison to Handler, I hear you loud and clear.”

“Copy Liaison. I’m connecting the Commander. Stand by.”

There was silence for a second before I got another ping. Commander Pollux was dropped into the line.

“Handler to Commander. Comm check.”

“Copy Handler. Hello Liaison. Ready to get this show on the road?”

“Headcount first, Commander.”

“Copy.”

The line shifted as I got four more pings. Those were the short range Aerials of the squads.

“Come in Pathfinders. I need a headcount.”

“Squad 1, all accounted for.”

“Squad 2, present.”

“Squad 3, we’re here.”

“Squad 4, I’m missing the new guy.”

“The new guy is in front, Squad 4. If that’s everything, we’re good to go. Go ahead, Handler.”

Pollux passed control back to Polly, her voice ringing through. 

“All checks complete. You are clear to deploy.”

“Alright then. Let’s ride, Pathfinders!”

At his word, the vehicles surged forward. Amary punched the bike after Pollux flew off. I wrapped my arms around her and activated my hood, all the Steeds and trucks behind us following almost soundlessly. 

It was weird, not hearing the roars of engines. A bit depressing, actually. How much cooler it would be to hear the sweet purr of gas-guzzling diesels revving into the distance. The only benefit was stealth and subtlety, but I wasn’t sure whether the tradeoff was worth it or not. 

The platoon flew through the gates and off onto a road. However, that road only continued as far as the base could monitor. So, once we disappeared over a hill, the road ended and we made our way onto impromptu trails.

With the snow underneath the wheels, the ride was actually somewhat smooth despite the speed we were going offroad. I made sure my hood and mask were secured over my face. 

Then, I just relaxed while taking in the chillingly beautiful scenery of the morning mountains. 

It was snowy, but this wasn’t the arctic circle. I still saw some greenery poking through. Trees covered the sides of mountains where they could, and jagged cliffs dominated the rest of the space. They called them the Crags, and it was obvious why, given the features. 

The path we rode on was pretty normal and frequently treaded. From the base we moved across relatively flat land, until we got to some geological formations that forced us to slow down. One of them was a hill that we went over instead of around, while the other was a skinny passage between two mountains. 

Along the way, I recalled the map in my memory, trying to reference it with what I was seeing around me. Thankfully there were several landmarks that I could use, ones that were almost always topped with a Repeater Node. Those things were similar to antennas, just more subtle so they didn’t get destroyed all the time. 

Then, after we were about 20 miles from base, we hit the Black Forest. 

Its namesake was pretty obvious in an ominous way. Even from afar I was able to notice how different it was from a normal forest. 

All the trunks, or perhaps stems, were black, for starters. Then there were the canopies that almost completely blotted out the sun with what looked like massive interlocking flowers. That was the only reason I didn’t immediately call them trees. They looked like gargantuan black lotuses. 

Those lotuses were still in bloom too, because I could see them continuing to expand as morning passed and the sun traveled toward the horizon. Soon, they would plunge everything underneath them into total darkness. Or at least, that’s what I thought. 

The convoy shot straight into the forest as the canopy closed up any remaining gaps. There was an obvious trail lined with magic lights that the convoy followed. 

Then, once everything around us went dark, the canopy lit up. 

The bottoms of those huge flowers turned fluorescent, gradually getting brighter as the sun fed them. Each flower had designs within and along the edges of the petals facing us, casting a gentle violet light on everything below. 

Then, all the black flora on the forest floor began to respond to the light, feeding off it and blooming themselves. Those plants had similar fluorescence of a lesser intensity, glowing dark red, closer to infrared than anything else. 

And because of that, as we continued rolling along the brightened trail, I felt it get warm. 

All the air in the covered forest started heating up as all the flora released energy. That caused the snow, which had accumulated on the ground after bypassing the initially folded canopy, to melt. The water then seeped into the ground to be absorbed by the entire forest. 

“How beautiful…”

I muttered, amazed at the symbiosis at play. It was an incredible system, a marvel of nature. 

I lifted my Aerial and started snapping a bunch of pictures before sending them to Umara. Taking pictures was oddly something I didn’t do much of recently, but I couldn’t help it. This was too amazing not to share. 

The trail through the Black Forest went on for quite a distance too, around 15 miles based on the map and my guesstimations on our speed. And we were only cutting through a portion of it. 

Sometime later, we could once again see sunlight. The residual warmth from the depths of the forest faded and we sped out from under the canopy, the bitter cold hitting our skin with a bite. 

My eyes adjusted almost instantly to the light change, finding massive mountains in the distance and much rougher geological formations. Now we were in deep. 

I heard a ping on my Aerial. 

“Commander to Liaison.”

“Copy Commander, go ahead.”

“That mountain over there with the curved tip is Scythe’s Peak. At its base, about 10 miles northeast is Hare’s Pass. Those two sites are major contention areas. We won’t go past them. Only the Snow Doves do. Today, we’re doing recon in those areas and replacing any sensors around the battle sites. We expect enemies, so keep those golden eyes of yours open and let your partner position you. She knows what needs to be done.”

“Roger.”

Pollux went silent as I continued to look around. It wasn’t snowing at the moment, so I had crystal clear sightlines of everything in front of us, including the base of Scythe’s Peak. Hare’s Pass seemed to still be out of view, probably at a lower elevation behind a hill. 

I waited as we approached. Then, as we arrived at the first sensor point, Pollux pinged in again. 

“Alright Pathfinders. Three minutes to sensor point. Squad Four, you’re up first.”

“Copy, Commander.”

“You know your assignments. Direct replacement. Report any anomalies.”

“Copy. Going off trail in two minutes.”

One of the Steeds behind us shifted on the trail. Then, when the two minute mark came, they drove off. Nearby was a large clearing at the base of the mountain, probably where some sensors were placed.

Pollux spoke again. 

“Squad Three, you’re up at the turn. I’m changing your instructions. Replace what sensors are broken and shift the other ones outward more. We need better coverage.”

“Copy. Going off trail.”

Another Steed diverted as we hit the turn. While we continued on, they rolled up and over a hill before coming to a stop at the top. 

I faced forward. After a few more turns, we entered another clearing. That’s when I saw Hare’s Pass. 

Hare’s Pass was actually a natural bridge that crossed over a massive canyon. The canyon ran perpendicular in front of us and carried a river at its floor which was located at least a few thousand feet down. 

It was difficult to estimate how far it was from one wall of the canyon to the other. Perhaps the distance across was a third of the depth. Whatever it was, the Pass, which was an obscenely large natural bridge, was shorter than the canyon was deep. 

I had hardly seen natural formations as tremendous as this. I gazed around in awe at the winding canyon stretching off into the distance and the lazy river slowly flowing below. 

Quite strangely, the natural majesty soothed the nerves I had coming out here. I took off my mask and hood, letting the cold wash over my face and filling my lungs with crisp, boreal air. 

 

78