Chapter 1: A New Eagle
1.1k 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Berlin, German Empire

March 12, 1897

It was a cold night.

He felt comfortable on this cold night by sipping a hot tea while watching the city out his window.

“It is seventeen years already” he sighed.

He had been reborn and lived in this world for seventeen years as Karl Franz Justinian von Habsburg or Justinian I of Austria, an Archduke of the Austrian Empire and the Crown Prince of the Austrian crown in an alternate world with a different timeline from his previous life.

He is the grandson of Franz Joseph I of Austria, the current emperor of the Austrian Empire. He is the only son of Archduke Charles, Archduke of Austria, and Princess Stephanie of Belgium. He was born with a twin girl Archduchess Elisabeth Marie.

**Note: Born on September 2, 1880,**

Even with such a prominent position in this new world, Justinian is not happy with his situation because this alternate world is based on a novel that has a strategic life simulation game in his past life.

In this world, Napoleon surrendered immediately after his defeat in Leipzig and was able to keep his throne but France is forced to give large concessions to the victorious coalitions. But still, he was officially accepted by other nations as the ruler of the French Empire.

The one who benefitted the most is the Kingdom of Prussia, for after the war it was able to gain large swathes of land, benefits, and spoils of the conflict and become a major European power on the world stage.

Then in the year 1832, the war occurred between Prussia and Russia, and almost all countries in Europe and its colonies are involved in this war. The war ended with the victory of Prussia which absorbs almost all lands in northern central Europe and become the German Empire, making the German Empire the most powerful state on the European continent.

The Austrian Empire was on the Russian side and both of them lost the war and it becomes a second-rate power, while the Russian Empire lost its influence in the European region. Even without ceding any lands after the treaty, the Austrian empire lands are ravaged and ruined, and its influence outside the empire’s border has become almost nonexistent. There are no major revolutions other than two Hungarian noble revolts against the monarchy after the war, for the war totally destroyed mostly the empire but the loyalty of most of the people is still to the Habsburgs even though they lose in the Russo-Prussian war of 1832, the Habsburg forces are able to win some of the battles but only lost during the final decisive battle, but the seeds of chaos are already brewing.

As he recalled the events in the novel and the game, he shuddered at the thought of what will happen in the future. A huge series of revolutions would occur throughout entire Europe in 1899 and would spread throughout the world in the following years, the Austrian Empire would be one of them.

Knowing what soon happens, he already had a lot of contingencies and plans for the empire and added a lot more before 1899. He will gather followers and allies and save the Empire from the incoming destruction and chaos.

He knows that he could just abandon everything, the empire and all, and choose to be a happy rich man away from all the future chaos and conflicts, get married, raise children and live a simple life which is what he plans when he is still young six years ago. But after living as a noble all these seventeen years, the embers of ambition and glory found their way into his heart.

** ** **

“The world is ….” The professor continues to discuss this in front of Justinian’s class. His monotonous voice bored Justinian to death, educational classes and discussions are still boring whatever era it is.

Justinian I was currently in his History class in his Military and Political Science course at the Berlin International University in the German Empire. He is currently studying in Berlin together with other important nobles and personas of the Austrian Empire in Germany.

After the war of 1832-1839 known as the Russo-Prussian war of 1832, the Kingdom of Prussia become the German Empire and it became the center of European affairs like education. After the war, the German Empire promoted its culture and traditions by having all students from other nations, especially those from losing nations, even their royal families, enroll and study in the academies and universities of the German Empire. The foreign royal students served as political hostages and to promote friendly ties for the future the time when these students become leaders in their own countries.

For the past two years, Justinian stayed and studied in Berlin. At the Berlin International University, he studied the German language, world history, royal etiquette, military science, strategy, and many more. The school is one of the best and world-class academies in the whole world, only those from the United Kingdom or the French Empire can compare to its prestige and grandeur.

After a few hours of lessons in the class, the day’s class is over and Justinian immediately went out of the classroom. He walked slowly along the hallway of the building and reached the huge courtyard of the academy.

In one of the courtyards of the university, a huge group of students waiting for him. There are Austrians who are also studying in Berlin, these students followed and obeyed Justinian I’s orders. Most of them are studying in fields related to military arts and sciences while others are in economics and politics.

They are waiting for Justinian I for their weekly meeting and information gathering so that everyone can be informed about any activities within and outside the university.

“I have good news, Your Highness.” greet Count Karl Alexander of Wurttemberg, son of Duke of Wurttemberg, a prominent noble in the Austrian Empire.

“What is it Count Karl?” replied Justinian with expectant but calm eyes. He ordered a lot of important orders for his plans for the benefit of the empire’s future. Justinian hoped that it will be one of his plans.

“Well, it is regarding Your Highness’ secret investments in different industries in the German Empire, we have gained a large dividend from it about 5 million mark and after selling our stocks in the market about 131 million mark,” Karl responded with happiness for the large earning they earned.

**Note: In this world, 1 British pound = 3 German marks**

After hearing the good news that the young Count brings, Justinian contemplates what and how to use the money that they earned. The money that is now in his hand is huge and to add the money they earned also last year it would be almost 200 million mark.

Such an amount would make other people drool and the success in just earning this amount within two years is staggering and overwhelming, but for his plans in the future, this amount is only a drop of a bucket and he would need more funds and resources. Even still, the people around him are amazed by his expertise in this field and decisiveness in decision-making but the people didn’t know that this knowledge is due to the fact of Justinian’s memories of the game and the novel in his past life. But to others like Count, it seems that the Crown Prince is a genius in business and economics.

“Karl, use 50 million mark purchasing modern weaponry and artillery from the German Empire. Then secretly bring it to the Austrian empire and let the Austrian Imperial Guard and 2nd Austrian Army in Bohemia equipped and trained with the weapons.”

**Note: The German Empire has needle guns while other major world powers like the Austrian Empire are still using muzzle-loading rifles**

After the Russo-Prussian War of 1832, there are no major wars occurred so muzzle-loading rifles are still prevalent in most countries around the world. But the German Empire is starting to replace these guns with needle guns after realizing their effectiveness in their colonization of Africa and some islands in Asia.

Justinian knowing its effectiveness started to purchase such weapons in the German Empire. Justinian understand that in order for the Austrian Empire to survive, the loyal soldiers of the Austrian Empire needed to be equipped and trained with better weapons to defeat the enemy within and outside.

Especially the Hungarian region in the Empire, where according to the novel, during the revolutions in 1899, the third Hungarian revolt would occur against the Empire. Their aim would be a separate government body and autonomy from the Empire but still be part of it, and in the process renaming the empire into Austro-Hungarian Empire. It may seem fine for it only asks for autonomy and not secession, but for Justinian, it is the worst. After realizing that the Empire is in a very weak state they pursued independence from the empire.

It started the downfall of the Austrian Empire, the empire would not be able to revitalize and in the year 1910, the German Empire, Sardinia, and Ottoman Empire would divide and dismember the empire and Hungary would become a buffer and puppet state between the neighboring powers, erasing the empire from history in this world timeline.

Defeating the third Hungarian revolt is necessary for the first phase of revitalizing the Empire and bringing it to greatness, and Justinian understands this.

“I understand Your Highness. How about the rest?” Count Karl was shocked by arming the army but still has expectant eyes, hoping to hear more orders of genius investments and decisions for the next year.

“Use some of the money to lobby and promote infrastructure construction in the Austrian region, especially the railway system. Also, continue to invest in steel and weapon production. Buy large stocks, especially in the weapon industries.” Justinian responded. “And lastly, create three newspaper companies in Austria.” The two men continue to talk and finalize some details of the plans and actions they would commit in the future.

After this, they continue to interact with each other and included the other people present. They talked about minor issues and share information until the sun started to set, ending their gathering and they slowly dispersed and returned to each of their rooms and dormitories.

** ** **

Reichskanzlei, Berlin, German Empire

May 17, 1897

In the office of the man who is considered one of the most powerful men or officials in the German Empire, an old man in a suit is reading a confidential report regarding a massive purchase and movement of weapons and ammunitions across the empire. Such activities can’t escape the prying eyes of the German Empire's intelligence department and organizations, and now the information and movements are all been submitted to German Chancellor Wilhelm Hart, the Chancellor of the German Empire.

After reading the reports, the Chancellor lights a cigar and admired Berlin outside his office’s windows, he contemplates what the Austrians are planning to do and whether it can benefit Germany or not. After a few minutes and a few cigarettes, he stood up and walked towards the door, approaching an old man sitting on the couch who is also smoking a cigar.

“Do you know why I called you right?” Chancellor Wilhelm says, lighting another cigar and smoking it, filling the entire place with the smoke of the cigars both persons smoking.

“Yes, your men told me what is happening. I’m also observing him now after I know what is happening.” The old man said after puffing the smoke of the cigar, “He is a good lad and I think we can trust him, Austria needs those weapons also. There is a lot of movement in Hungary and surrounding regions especially the border, the Ottomans are secretly supplying them weapons even those Hungarians are unaware.”

“I know, but the Ottomans are our allies. If there will be conflict then we should side with them, and the Austrians are also against us in our plan to unify the entire German region excluding Austria. The South German Confederation is basically under the protection of the Austrians and the French.” Says the Chancellor.

“But…” the old man responds, “if we can make a secret agreement with the Crown Prince Franz Justinian even before he becomes the emperor. Maybe we can make this situation in our favor and we can deal with the French in a war. Russians and the British would not dare to go to war against us, both are busy in Asia and it may last until four to five years, also the northern union and Sardinia are both our allies and may even join us.”

“Maybe it is possible,” Chancellor Wilhelm replied. “But how can the young Austrian crown prince have enough influence and power to negotiate on behalf of Austria? He is still very young and we don’t even need to negotiate with them. We can just divide Austria together with Sardinia and the Ottomans, we can just continue the plan.”

“The British and the French would never allow that to happen. Spain and the Kingdom of Sicily may even be pushed to join their side also. I’m also sure the Americans would also join to their side, they’re still bitter on our support to the Confederates during the American civil war,” the old man explained. The German Empire has a lot of enemies around the world and the old man was very concerned about being encircled in an event of a war.

They both know that the German Empire’s power is rising exponentially. For most Germans, this progress and development are very good but for some people like the Chancellor and the old man observed that their growth become a threat to other powers, especially to the French and British.

In Africa, the entire central Africa is already the colony of the Germans, the South and East are under the British, the West and North are under the French, and other regions are under the Spanish. The holdings of the Germans in the African continent become a threat to the British and French. Germans controlling the heart of Africa means it becomes a threat to other powers holding in Africa.

In the Americas, some islands are under of the German Empire and the Panama region. The Kingdom of Mexico is also allied with the Germans, causing a rift in the United States doctrine – removing European colonies and influence in the Americas. South America is divided between those who are on the side of the Germans and the Americans. The Americans are also thirsting for revenge for the German support of the Confederates during the American civil war.

In Asia, the entire island of Borneo is the colony of the German Empire. The Qing Empire also leased the land around Kiautschou Bay and the entire Manchuria to the Germans. Some islands in the Pacific are also under the Germans' banner.

With a global-wide empire and powerful allies and industries, many countries are starting to consider the German Empire as the strongest empire in the world. This fact alarmed the British and the French of the very fast growth of the Germans and if the Germans would really destroy the Austrian Empire and annex the South German Confederations and also absorb the German Austria after, it would destroy the equilibrium of power. The other powers would prevent the Germans to achieve it this even if the cost is war.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll continue observing the Archduke and negotiate with him privately if I deem it advantageous to our plans,” the old man added, finishing his cigar in his right hand. “We would achieve our dreams of creating a powerful German state in our generation no matter the cost.”

  This is my first novel. I hope you will enjoy it. I'm sorry if there are any mistakes in the grammar and spelling. I'm not really good in the English language. But I'll try my best to give my best shot.

21