Chapter 55: The Furious Flower of Versailles
253 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Versailles Palace, Paris, French Empire

The atmosphere in the Palace of Versailles is gloomy and heavy. A young woman is walking angrily across the large hallways in the Versailles Palace. The guards and maids avoid looking at her so that they won’t be caught sight by that woman. Her heavy footsteps make the hearts around her beat in fear to be in her presence.

The angry young woman walking is no other than the only Princess of the French Empire, Princess Charlotte Bonaparte. She is very furious after hearing the news of her marriage proposal to Crown Prince Justinian without her knowledge and permission. She didn’t expect that her father, the current French Emperor, would allow his older brother Prince Louis to decide for her future. It would disrupt her plan as she is still planning to use her status as not engaged to anyone to be flexible to all sides and powers. She didn’t want to be currently tied to anyone as this would lessen her options for alliances and deals.

She walks angrily toward where her father is working right now to ask why did this happen. She trusts her father that she would be informed first if there is anything related to her only to be betrayed and left in the dark. The marriage proposal by Prince Louis to the Austrians would ruin the trust and reliability that she was able to cultivate with the Austrian Crown Prince.

“Tell His Majesty that I’m here.”

Princess Charlotte ordered the soldier guarding the entrance to the room where Emperor Napoleon III is currently present working. The soldier immediately obeyed the command of the Princess as the soldier knows that the Princess is someone fearsome and powerful. She is not just a normal princess that is just like a wallflower that is kept as an ornament or bargaining chip to others.

After being permitted by the Emperor to enter, Princess Charlotte immediately entered the Emperor’s office and sees the Emperor working by signing some documents and paperwork that needed to be checked and reviewed.

“I greet the Sun of the French Empire, His Majesty the Emperor.”

“My dear daughter, welcome… is there anything you want from me? Just ask my daughter.”

“Father, why you didn’t tell me about the engagement?”

“Ohhh… about that.”

Emperor Napoleon III stops what he is doing and looks towards her only daughter. He is unable to speak to the question that the Princess had just said to him. He knows that whatever reason he would tell her, she would not find it amusing and good enough to her. But there is nothing he could do but tell her.

“This is decided by the entire Consulate and ministers that you would be engaged with the Austrian Crown Prince. Even Charles supported Louis to make this thing happen. I don’t know how but they were able to win the support of the entire Consulate and the Marshalls and send the message in one day,” Emperor Napoleon III added. “Even I, the Emperor, can’t challenge what they have decided that day. I just didn’t expect that they would be swift enough to catch you off-guard, it seems they are hatching this plan for a long time.”

The Emperor can only sigh after saying the reason behind this news. Even if he is the Emperor of the French Empire he can’t stop what is decided by the Consulate and his two sons. If he had done anything, it would be an action that can be seen as favoritism toward the Princess and it would be unfair to the others.

“Even Charles?”

“Yes, even Charles…”

Princess Charlotte is shocked by the revelation of his father. She didn’t expect that her two brothers would work together in plotting against her. Ever since they were young, both her brothers are already fighting for the throne secretly and hated each other more as time passes.

But she didn’t expect that they would join hands in this plot, especially her brother Charles who always acts aloof and crazy. Every cell in her body was alarmed that both her brothers are planning more things in the future and she must prepare for it, she can’t let her brothers ruin her plans and goals in the future.

“When did the Consulate meeting convene that I was not able to know about it? Even those who are part of my faction didn’t even inform me.”

“They might have been able to convince your people that this would be beneficial for your reputation and status while others are threatened. After the dissolution of your engagement with Prince Wilhelm of Prussia, the people under your faction are troubled and are secretly trying to wash that disgrace from you so that you would regain your reputation.”

“Are these people fools?”

“You can’t blame them for their decisions. You are away when everything is happening my daughter.”

Princess Charlotte knows that the people under her can’t be blamed for such a fiasco. They are just trying to help her to save her reputation after the disastrous engagement with the German Crown Prince with an engagement with the Austrian Crown Prince. Even if she were able to transfer the shame and problem to the German Crown Prince, she is still affected by what happened and her reputation is damaged. Her people think that the Austrians would readily accept the proposal for the Princess and the Austrian Crown Prince have a good and amicable relationship with each other.

“Did the Austrians reply to the proposal?”

“Not yet my daughter.”

“Then how did the public know about this even if there is still no response from the Austrians? Did those two idiots know what this would entail if these would fail? Those fools!”

Emperor Napoleon III can only sigh at what happening between his children. He thinks this is because of his incompetence as a father and that he was not able to raise them properly. All his children are power-hungry and want to become his successor, even his daughter is craving the throne. And now his children are fighting against each other even to the expense of the empire.

He knows that the two are in the wrong but everything they have done is legal and based on the rule of law of the empire. He also knows that his daughter has done things secretly but he only turned a blind eye to those so it is just fair that he would do the same in this situation. The French public has also deemed the decision acceptable and good. As the Emperor, he couldn’t just oppose the want of the people.

“You should not say such harsh language about your brother in my presence. Even if I am your father, I am the Emperor, and what your brothers have done followed the rule and order of the Empire. Even if the Austrians would feel wrong to what we are doing, they can only cower for we are stronger than them.”

“But father!..”

“Charlotte! Leave… before I would force you to get out.”

Princess Charlotte can only bite her lips and her head looking down. She knows that Crown Prince Justinian doesn’t want to be engaged and tied down to someone right now so he could also be flexible in dealings with other countries the same as she is doing. If the future ruler of Austria is tied down in a closer relationship with France, then it would lessen the chance of Austria to navigate the murky world of politics in European affairs and force it to join the side of France and its interest.

That is the last thing Austria needs right now as it would only make other countries who are hostile to the French also hostile to them. This world still values the political marriage of the monarchs and it would dictate the foreign affairs of the nation for decades. Finding a good marriage partner is essential especially for major powers as it would tie down their nation to one side from the others.

“I will take my leave, Your Majesty.”

Princess Charlotte can only leave the office and reorganize her thoughts on this problem. She also needs to find a way to contact Crown Prince Justinian on what actions should they do right now so that the relationship between the two nations would not deteriorate. She likely thinks the Austrians would reject the proposal indirectly or try to bid more time for a better opportunity.

The Austrians can’t also afford to ruin the good relationship between their nation and the French so they would also try to give a proper and polite response. She must also think to get back against her brothers and divert the attention of the public to a different issue or thing. She can’t afford to be complacent as her brothers have joined together and are trying to destroy her chances of achieving her goals. She must show them what would happen if they disturbed a sleeping tiger and the wrath it would entail.

 

9