Volume 2 Chapter 14: The Meeting with the German Chancellor (2)
217 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Meeting with the German Chancellor (2)

Berlin City, German Empire

“You can all come in.”

Crown Prince Justinian said when he heard a knock outside the door. He is waiting for hours, as it was scheduled for today that the German Chancellor would arrive in the mansion that he is currently staying in. He is seated currently in the largest and most comfortable seat in the parlor, sipping wine while reading some reports regarding the situation in the city.

The door then opens, and three men had entered the room. One of them is Count Karl Alexander, his trusted right-hand man, and the other two is the German Chancellor Wilhelm Hart and his subordinate.

“We greet Your Imperial Highness of Austria, Archduke Karl Franz Justinian von Habsburg.”

“I greet Your Excellency, Chancellor Wilhelm Hart.”

The Chancellor and Crown Prince Justinian exchange pleasantries with each other as a sign of mutual respect. Both men look to the other as someone who is competent and wise.

Crown Prince Justinian sees Chancellor Hart as the very model of high-ranking government official who was able to control and manage the absolute monarchy, the powerful German military, and the political parties of the German Empire especially the Conservatives, Nationalists and liberals.

Able to successfully navigate and establish the international relations and diplomatic ties even though that is the glaring weakness of the German Empire, establishing colonies and alliances even if both Great Britain and France is blocking them. It can be said that if the one in power is not the current Chancellor, then the German Empire would have been diplomatically and politically isolated in the world stage.

Chancellor Hart also sees Austrian Crown Prince Justinian in high regards as he is able to exert power and influence even at the young age in the Austrian Government and Court. The Chancellor is even envious that Austria has a competent Crown Prince compared to the German Crown Prince who is egotistical, naïve, and a diehard supporter of the German military and conquest expansion policies.

For the Chancellor, a ruler should not lean more on one side or party, he should be the mediator and a moderate to all parties. One that can consider and placate all sides for the betterment of the people he is leading.

But the German Crown Prince is currently a hardline war hawk and shows blatant favoritism to pro-military and pro-war factions in the government. Such a ruler would only bring troubles to his country as it didn’t balance every facet of his rule.

Lot of strong-minded and expansionist rulers have not successful in keeping their empires and states survived for a long time. Like Emperor Qin Shi Huang of the Qin Dynasty and Alexander the Great of Macedonian Empire. They might be successful in their campaigns and expansion but after their death, their empires immediately collapse as it can’t absorb the rapid growth of its border and incompetent successors.

In order for the empire to survive, the ruler should know how to maintain balance and win the support and loyalty of the people and the current German Crown Prince seems unable to have such trait.

“To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit here Your Excellency?”

Crown Prince Justinian initiated the discussion as he signals the three men to sit in their respective chairs. Chancellor Hart on his opposite side together with his assistant and Count Karl Alexander on the chair adjacent to where he is currently sitting.

“I just want to talk with Your Imperial Highness about our offer of marriage of the youngest daughter of His Imperial Majesty to you Your Imperial Highness.”

“You can spare me the thought of such an offer Your Excellency... for I’m still young for such talks Your Excellency, I still want to enjoy my youth. Even more, Her Highness is still four years old.”

Crown Prince Justinian sneers after such an offer is said by the Chancellor. Never in his expectation that the Chancellor would openly offer the youngest daughter of German Emperor Frederick Louie who is still very young. Using the youngest princess in such talks would be a shame and a disgrace.

If anyone outside would know, then the head of the Chancellor would not be spare and have already rolling on the floor as this would be blasphemous and an affront towards the German Imperial Family.

“Okay… okay… Your imperial Highness. I hope you are not offended but I also hope that you would consider our offer. It would bring further unity and friendship between our two German states.”

“We can still discuss that later and let just erase what you had just said in our minds Your Excellency. You don’t want to strain and dampen the mood in our talks.”

Crown Prince Justinian calmly replies to the Chancellor. He feels insulted when the Chancellor talks to him about another political marriage when he knows that the French had also send him a political marriage with the French Princess, Princess Charlotte.

If the French would know that they have talk about a political marriage with the Germans even though they still didn’t send a reply to the French, it would strain the relations between Austria and France. And Crown Prince Justinian would abhor such result, France is a very important ally and partner of Austria for now.

France had served as an ally to prevent any German expansion in the northern borders of Austria. If the Germans would dare to backstab and invade Austria during their future conflict with the Ottomans, the Austrians can trust that the French together with the Russians would come to their aid.

There are also the Austrian officers and soldiers who are been secretly trained and armed by the French under the command of Princess Charlotte with tanks and planes that would become a huge factor to tip the future war in Austria’s favor against the Ottomans.

For Crown Prince Justinian, Austria’s conflict against the Ottomans would be inevitable as Austria can’t survive anymore surrounded by powerful enemies. It needs to knock out at least one of such threats to survive in this power struggle in Central Europe.

“So, Your Excellency, what is really the purpose of your visit here dear sir?”

“... You already know why I’m here Your Imperial Highness...”

“Is it about the war between the Ottomans and the Principality?”

“Yes, Your Imperial Highness.”

“So, what about it Your Excellency? I think Germany have no direct attachment in the conflict aside from your defensive alliance with the Ottomans which is unusable as the Ottomans are the aggressors.”

Crown Prince Justinian, curious of what Chancellor Hart would say, looks directly into the eyes of the Chancellor. Crown Prince Justinian is curious of what would be the stance of the Germans regarding the conflict, if whether they would directly participate or would send any aid to their ally, the Ottomans.

In his eyes, the Chancellor is still calm even if Germany is in the pickle due to riots and protests across the Empire.

“I just want to talk with you and ask of what the stance of Austria of the conflict and to tell you that Austria should not interfere in the conflict.”

“I think that is beyond your power to tell us what to do and issue such threats, Your Excellency. Austria is a sovereign and independent nation that is not controlled by Germany Your Excellency. I think you have no right to tell us what to do especially in our foreign affairs.”

“Don’t misunderstand me Your Imperial Highness for I mean no disrespect. I’m just saying that as an advice from a fellow German nation, I have always value Austria as a brother state of Germany, and I don’t want to see Austria plunge into a conflict that would cause a loss of fellow Germans Your Imperial Highness. I implore you Your Highness to advice His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Franz Joseph, to not take such rash actions.”

Chancellor Hart speaks emotionally and emphatically towards the Crown Prince. But even in such emotional appeal, the eyes of the Chancellor are still calm. He is still sure that the Austrians won’t really dare to fight the Ottomans for the sake of the Montenegrins, but it would be a different story if the Russians would join in the fray.

Austria or Russian alone against the Ottomans would be suicidal as both nations just started to remilitarize and expand their forces. But together, they can fight against the Ottomans with a slight advantage.

And if the Russians would be able somewhat convince the Austrians to join the war, then Germans would be forced to join the Ottoman’s side to save their ally. And such action would probably force the French and British to join the side of the Russians.

It would also be disastrous for them if they would not save their allies Ottomans as it would further isolate them on the world stage and diplomacy. Germany now has barely enough allies and losing the Ottomans would be a huge blow for them.

Only by keeping the conflict between the Montenegrins and the Ottomans would Germany be able to maintain the status quo.

-- -- -- -- --

I am planning to replace the cover page of the Justinian of Austria. I have created two possibly cover pages. I request to you readers to help me chose which of the two would be better or it is better to keep the old cover page.
Here is the link of the cover pages: Cover Page for Justinian of Austria | Wew War on Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/posts/cover-page-for-81023220
Here is the link for the poll: COVER PAGE FOR JUSTINIAN OF AUSTRIA | Wew War on Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/posts/cover-page-for-81023371

Patreon Page: Wew War | creating the novels "Justinian of Austria" and "WWA" | Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/wewwar

Don't worry as the poll and the images can be seen by the public and even those who didn't subscribe can see and vote. Thank you and I hope you would participate so that I could decide which one.

3