Volume 2 Chapter 15: The Meeting with the German Chancellor (3)
375 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume 2 Chapter 15 

The Meeting with the German Chancellor (3)

Berlin City, German Empire

“I know what you are saying is true Your Excellency. But for the love of God, the Ottomans have started its march towards the heart of Europe. You can’t understand us Austrians as for centuries we are the shield that keep the Ottomans away from the heart of Europe.”

Crown Prince Justinian replies also in calm demeanor to the German Chancellor. The Habsburgs always viewed the Ottomans as a thorn in their eyes. The centuries that they fought against the Ottomans had drained the resources and wealth of the Habsburg, furthering the enmity of the two most powerful states in the Balkans.

“Also, how can you assure that the Ottomans would only stop to the Montenegrins? The possibility of an Ottoman Army marching to the gates of Vienna is high again.”

The Chancellor is having a hard time to reply what the Austrian Crown Prince had just said. It is already a public knowledge for centuries that the Ottomans always want to occupy and rule Vienna, it become the new Constantinople for the Ottoman Turks – something they want to have, and they had tried a lot of times to occupy the great city but had always end in failure.

But amidst such disaster and defeats, the Ottomans have never given up on their dreams to reach and capture Vienna. Especially now that the Sultan is a strong supporter of the military and conquest policies that it is hard to know what is running in the head of the Sultan. Even the Ottoman’s close allies are having a hard time understanding the Ottoman Sultan.

“As we are not speaking in an official negotiation Your Imperial Highness, I would tell you the truth in respect of the old man...”

“Old man? Who?”

Crown Prince Justinian is baffled by what the Chancellor said. He can’t remember anyone he met in Berlin or even in Vienna who had a close relationship with Chancellor Hart.

“You have already met him Your Imperial Highness. But I would not disclose his identity for I think it is not time yet for you to know.”

Chancellor Hart, closing both his eyes, only calmly replied to the question of the Crown Prince. He knows that the old man doesn’t want to disclose his identity to the Crown Prince as of now.

“...”

Crown Prince Justinian can only stare and sigh at the Chancellor. Even if he wants to ask what he is talking about, he can just let it pass as they need to talk about the more pressing matters.

“Sorry for the small outburst that I had Your Excellency.”

“It is fine Your Imperial Highness. To continue my statement before, I can’t really give you an assurance for the actions that the Ottomans are doing. But I can tell you that we would never allow an Ottoman expansion deeper into Europe, that I can assure you.”

“I know that you are telling the truth Your Excellency. There are no one in their right mind to allow a Muslim-majority state to expand towards Europe. That would only cause more chaos and confusion in an already tense Europe.”

Crown Prince Justinian drinks the tea prepared before their meeting. His throat is already parched from the talks he and the Chancellor are having right now. Following what the Crown Prince is doing, the Chancellor also drinks the tea that is prepared for him on the table, after all he is also tired after travelling and talking with the Crown Prince.

Even the other two people in the parlor, Count Karl Alexander and Chancellor Hart’s assistant also drink their teas prepared for them. Even if they have remained silent in the entire discussion, they are also parched from all the discussion. They know that even if the discussion is not official and the two talking would not participate in the official one, both the Crown Prince and the Chancellor have enough authority and influence on the future negotiations.

“But I know that Germany would still ask us to not directly involved in the conflict... then I would like to ask Your Excellency what Germany can give to us Austria in exchange for not intervening. You must know that your offer would be hard as they are also a lot of people in our court who support intervening with the Russians backing them.”

Crown prince Justinian added that the Russians are already sending them an enticing offer for the Austrians. The Chancellor should give them an offer better than the Russians would give to the Austrians for them to accept not intervening the conflict.

Chancellor Hart knows that the offer is very hard to beat. Austria had always wished to push the Ottomans outside of Europe for its security and the Russian offer is something enticing for the Austrians.

Germany doesn’t fear Austria expands into the Balkans in the expense of their allies Ottomans. They would even support Austria expanding into the Balkans and Danube so that it would divert its attention and give them enough space and time for an opportunity to possibly invade the South German Confederation.

What they fear is the Russia securing a waterway into the Mediterranean Sea, giving the Russian Navy access in the high seas near Europe. Russia is always known a military juggernaut with their large number of forces it can conscript and mobilize in case of a war.

Currently, the Russian fleet in Europe are trapped in the Baltic Sea and Black Sea. Germany and the Nordic Union can black the Russian Baltic fleet while the Ottomans the Black Sea fleet, but losing one of them would be a big problem for the Germans who are trying their hardest to stop or slow Russian growth and industrialization.

A Russian Empire with a develop industry and economy would be the biggest obstacle not only to Germany but for the entire European continent. Even France and Great Britain can’t hold a powerful Russian Army that can roll into the heart of Europe, that’s why the continent has always remain on alert regarding to the Russians.

The Russo-Prussian war of 1832 was even the war that becomes the result of the fear of a powerful Russian Empire. The known cause of war is due to the border conflict between the Russians and the Prussians, German Empire now. But it is a war to check the Russians and prevent them from becoming too much powerful in the European affairs.

After the victory of the coalition against Napoleonic France, Russia’s influence in Europe has skyrocketed to its peak. They even stationed a lot of Russian troops across Italy, France and Germany in the name of security and friendship, but it is just flexing its strength and influence towards the small European nations and states.

France, Prussia and Great Britain realizes the need to stop Russia and it led to the armed conflict with the Russians. Austria was forced to join in Russia’s side in order for them to honor their pledge and alliance with the Russians who had always came to their aid during the Napoleonic wars. The rest after that is history, Russia lost and both Russia and Austria are forced to limit their military sizes and demilitarize a lot of their forces.

Thanks to that conflict, the Kingdom of Prussia was able to absorb all Northern German states becoming the German Empire. That’s why the German Empire always feel threatened towards the Russians, as the German Empire only come to being in the expense of the Russian Empire and the grudge and enmity has never died out.

“Then what do you want Your Imperial Highness?”

-- -- -- -- --

Announcement

Hi guys, I just had return from the province this holy week. I had a short vacation and there is no internet, so I have not written new chapters for the week. I'll try to write more chapters this week. Volume 2 is already halfway with 31 chapters plus its prologue is written and I hope that I can finish this somewhere the second week of May. Both volume 1 and volume 2 are more of preparatory arcs for the incoming large war with the Ottomans, I'm really that happy that this novel has already a lot of chapters and I hope that I could still continue to write it until the Austrian Empire becomes *SPOILERS* a world superpower and after it.

There are already six transmigrators/reincarnates in the novel (five are clearly stated while one is still not revealed) that would play a huge role in the future, there would be last one to complete the seven and I am still thinking what country or nationality it will be, I am thinking maybe from the British Raj or Japanese Meiji as these two countries would play a big role in the future.

Also, I am planning to apply to a contract to Web Novel so that Justinian of Austria can become a contracted novel and I can earn some small stipends in locking the future chapters, but I am still thinking if I would apply or not, because I really don't want to sign any contract that would bind the story to something, but times are not great here in my country and prices are rising and I am still studying for my licensure exam.

Lastly, I also would like you to support my other works - The White Wolf of Aquintaine. Thank you!

 

6