Threat Levels for Tentacle Monsters (Astoria Scale)
729 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Threat Levels for Tentacle Monsters (Astoria Scale)

  • 0 - No Threat. No presence of Tentacle Monsters in a radius of one hundred fathoms. No activity leading to an appearance has been registered for one year or more. No signs that might point to a Tentacle being present have been recorded for six months or more. This rating applies to the majority of hot and dry environments (exceptions may apply).
    Your average street in your average town has a rating of 0.

  • 1 - Environmental. This rating only means that the current area allows for development of Tentacle Monsters, but there has been no recorded activity for at least one year. This rating applies to every location that presents a chance of an encounter. Your damp and dark basement has usually a rating of 1.
    Every dungeon in the world possesses a rating of 1 or higher.

  • 2 - Very Low. This represents a typical encounter with a minor specimen, typically one that’s only interested in sexual juices and feeding, bereft of any intelligence, agency or goals. Most Tentacles gain this rating simply by existing, but they possess no particular quality, resistance or attack form that may cause them to be more dangerous than usual. A typical party composed of a fighter, a ranger, an explorer and a dungeon delver should have no troubles dispatching a monster with this rating. Lasting consequences are mostly limited in temporarily heightened sexual arousal.
    Example: Black Coil.

  • 3 - Low. A step higher, this represents an encounter that has at least some chance to end badly. Caution is advised. The monster may possess some mutation, ability or resistance that makes it a span stronger than the usual, or it may just found in a more hazardous environment. A typical party should be able to deal with it with relative ease and no lasting consequences.
    Example: Crowned Crawler.

  • 4 - Moderate. This represents either an exceptionally-pernicious subspecies of a known specimen or species that are able to pose an actual threat. An average party should be evenly-matched. The use of magic is advised. Please remember that miracles provided by Corona and Samash are mostly useless against Tentacles, as their origin is natural or magic, not Demonic. The shallowest levels of The Hollow usually hover around this rating.
    Example: Hooded Black Coil.

  • 5 - Serious. The exceptional specimen of a normally common species, or a specimen from a species that has adapted to a specific environment can rise to this rating. Named Tentacles usually possess this rating or higher. The Howling Ruins can harbour up to this rating. An average party could be overwhelmed.
    Example: Scaled Lurker.

  • 6 - Severe. This is reserved to the actual threats, monsters that usually dominate their immediate environment in a dungeon. The oldest and most powerful members of an uncommon species that has developed experience or worse, hunting tactics, belong here. The tentacle may be actively confrontational and even possess a degree of agency or a glimpse of wit. It may lay traps. An average party should apply extreme caution. It is advised to engage with proper preparation.
    Example: Purple Whisperknot.

  • 7 - Regional. This applies to Tentacles that have grown beyond the level of simple monsters or animals and possess agency and intent. They may be old, strong and aware enough to influence their environment on a large scale, usually deeply influencing the ecology of the dungeon. One specimen infamously haunted the lower levels of the Blinsdisght Caverns and gave them their infamous rating as a result. An average party would be easily overwhelmed: leave this rank and higher to Knights.
    Example: Old Groper
    .

  • 8 - Legendary. This has only been applied a couple times in history, mostly to individual Tentacles that are capable of using magic, coming into symbiosis with their victims and influence or even dominate a vast area. This requires the intervention of the highest Order: the Knights of Ember. No mere party of adventurers is able to deal with this threat. If they pretend to, it’s only because they are already under its influence.
    The deepest levels of the Hollow possess this rating.
    Example: Maulgrim the Evermold.

  • 9 - Mythological. As of yet this covers only one individual, due to her actions and their consequences in shaping the Kingdom of Ostrea. She has managed to fight The Herald of Corona to a standstill, so this threat may just as well be applied to other existential threats of our worlds, such as a Core Dragon, the Black Mage of Masnadia, or possibly the Morningstar.

    As it was considered to be fitting and the author has the chance to meet her in person, this scale bears her name: Astoria Ordalia da Ostrea, whom you should know as The Tentacle Knight.
I always enjoyed this kind of rating scales. Felt nice working on one. Hope you liked it!

10