Chapter 20
180 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The battle seemed to be nothing more than a large grinder. Both sides continued to push into each other, causing as much havoc as possible before they were killed. The elite zerg warriors still proved to hold the advantage.

Eric watched angrily as his battleships were slowly torn apart by the disastrous creatures. He didn't expect there to be such a monstrous force here. He could only grit his teeth and continue in this stalemate, watching helplessly as both sides continued to incur losses.

At least that's what he thought would happen, until one of his attendants reported energy signatures from behind them. He quickly asked

"Are they friendly, or not?"

This could be reinforcements that had just come through the warp point, or it could be another group of zerg warriors that circled around and wanted to attack them from both sides.

"Neither" the attendant said puzzled. 

"What do you mean, neither?" Eric asked in confusion. 

"The energy signatures don't match the output from the empire's battleships, nor does it show any signs of life. So it is not a fleet from the empire, and it isn't part of the zerg" the attendant explained. 

Eric could only watch helplessly as whatever was approaching, grew closer. In the distance he saw that the shapes seemed to have arms and legs, and his heart dropped. 

"Could it be a new species of zerg that's able to cover up their own life signs?" he thought absent-mindedly. 

But as the force became clearer, he didn't know how to express anything but shock. These were clearly designed like mecha. The faces had no discernible features, weapons and armour proved that they were built by humans at least. However he had never heard from his family that the empire had created such a force, and the mecha had no markings which made him a little wary. 

Fortunately for Eric, it seemed this group paid no attention to his side, they had already locked onto to the zerg warriors that were in the midst of combat. The zerg never used formations, which they always made up for by sheer number, but this time it seems they were destined to be defeated by this strategy. 

The colossal mechas stood much taller than even the zerg that were capable of destroying battleships. The arms worked in tandem as an array of advanced laser cannons were fired without restraint. Hundreds of the same imposing mechas firing off at once is truly a sight to behold. 

The soldiers on the planets and the battleships watched in awe as these terrifying creatures were blasted apart by these cannons. However there is a limit to how much ammunition Arel and Sile could provide the mechas on such a short term decision. All the space they had was used to store energy crystals, so as to keep them operating for as long as possible. 

The elite zerg seemed to have understood that these "great enemies" were out of ammunition, so they relentlessly charged towards the things that made them feel the greatest threat. 

The colossal mechas began to space themselves out, allowing a considerable distance between each, and their arms lined with cannons, soon switched into long sharpened azandium blades. This was the ultimate goal of Arel building them, the arms could only show their true potential in melee combat. 

At the beginning, the arms simply chopped and slashed, gathering speed bit by bit, until enough time had passed, and the arms on each side began to latch themselves together, causing the blades to spin as quickly as a propeller. The colossal mechas then began to reduce the space between each other, slowly pushing forward in a steady formation. 

The propeller like blades tore through the armoured carapaces of the elite zerg, as if they were made of mud. Blood and guts stained the cold, black mechas, but there was never a pause in their actions. 

This group of elite zerg finally came to its end, under the terrifying operation of the colossal mechas. When they scanned the area and found no more signs of zerg life, they shut down their combat mode and just as uniformly as they had arrived, they left back in the same direction. 

Arel and Sile saw that the colossal mechas had completed their task, and happily ordered them to return. The two of them knew that the zerg that were killed could only be said to be a decent portion of all the ones that came, but they had no intention of letting their mechas do all the work. 

If they stepped in and eradicated all of the zerg, than the empire would still hold the advantage over the federation, which is not what they wanted to see. Although the two sides wouldn't fight for a while, but when the aftermath was settled, the empire would still hold the initiative, and before that even happened, the empire would almost definitely focus most of their immediate attention on the two of them, not only for the actions they've done, but also because Arel and Sile have shown far too many benefits. The livable planet, the azandium mine, and now these indomitable self operating mechas. 

They can't allow the empire to come out of this in one piece. So the two of them ruthlessly chose to only intervene when they were certain the empire would not be able to win otherwise. 

They could also send the mechas out to aid the federation, but they have yet to contact Salessa, and the only reason they're willing to give it a try, is because she like them, is an Omega. But they won't just blindly trust her because she is the same gender. They are fully aware of the benefits they can bring the federation, and they know very well that people are more grateful for the coal given in the winter, rather than the icing on the cake. 

When the federation is at its most desperate, is the perfect chance to negotiate. They'll definitely not come out of their side of the battle unscathed either. So when they fight the empire, having the support of their "force" would be incredibly important. So for now, Arel and Sile chose to simply bide their time. 

5