Beginning 1.3
67 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Whaddya mean we can't run this [Zone]?" Victoria indignantly cried out.

The receptionist just gave a weak laugh and replied, "I'm really sorry Miss but the rules are the rules. This [Zone] level is too high for your Rank."

"Tsk," Victoria clicked her tongue and glared at the request board. A few moments later and she turned back and faced me. "I was eyeing that [Zone] because my gut wants us to go there. Anyways, since we can't run that [Zone], choose one for us. Something tells me we'll have an opportunity to enter it later."

"Sure," I replied.

I moved closer to the request board where the notices for the clearing of [Zones] were posted. [Zones] are typically named after the place they're found in and are ranked based on the mana it emits. The higher the mana emission, the more [Unknowns] there are inside. The more [Unknowns], the perilous it becomes.

The [Zone] my partner was eyeing, the [Jericho Highway Zone], was the one that popped up somewhere on the outskirts of the City. It was deemed as a D-rank [Zone].

Meanwhile, my partner and I were just an E-rank [Pair]. Those who just joined, regardless of their personal rank, starts at E-rank and can advance their rank based on their experience on clearing [Zones]. A [Pair] can only enter a [Zone] that is equal or lower to their rank. If they team up with another [Pair], they can enter a higher rank [Zone].

I skimmed through the requests. There were many low ranked [Zones] but they were too far from the City. The nearest one was three days worth of travel.

The reward for clearing Low ranked [Zones] are cheap.

Not worth the effort.

As I was mulling through what to do, someone tapped my shoulder. I turned back and was met with a familiar face. A man in his late twenties with blonde hair and golden eyes, his skin was tanned and full of scars. He was wearing a sleeved shirt and pants with a sword - a cutlass, hung on his waist.

"Hey, so youve finally decided to do something for once, huh?" He said.

"Yeah, I thought that if a hobo like you, can do it, then why can't i?" I shot back as I let out a smirk.

"Hah! Yer tongue's sharp as always!" He said as he hung his arm around my neck and pulled me down to ruffle my hair with his other hand.

"Anyways," I said as I escaped from his hold. "Need something, Alexei?"

Alexei Frostpine, one of my close acquaintance. We actually started off as enemies but later became friends. He was living in the same building as me.

"Ya," He said. "Can't help but hear what lil' missy there said. Speaking of which, she's yer partner?"

I nodded in affirmation.

"Anyways, I know missy's been eyeing the [Zone] at Jericho Highway and me and my partner were planning to actually enter that tomorrow. Since I am a magnanimous friend, I thought ' why not bring my friend since they wanna enter it too?', so here I am." He spread out his arms and shrugged.

"Sure," I reply. "I'll go tell my partner."

"That's the spirit!" Alexei grinned. "Meet us here tomorrow at ten."

"Okay, by lunch then." I cheekily reply.

Alexei just laughed at my response and walked away. It was an old habit of his to be late for any appointments he sets. I don't know whether he does it on purpose or not and it's not like I really care to know why. He does come on time, however, if another person sets the meeting time.

Tearing away my gaze from my senior, I scanned the crowd for my partner.

The Agency was kind of an office-slash-bar. The request board was located beside the teller and in front of the bar.

Locating Victoria was not hard. A split second glance and I immediately found a familiar mop of red hair.

She was sitting at one of the tables, talking to two other girls. One was a black haired girl wearing a Kimono or Yukata, I dunno which is which. The other one was a blue haired girl with a scythe strapped at her back.

"Hey Victoria," I say as I approach them. "Got one."

Victoria glanced at me and sent a smug look at my direction.

"Anyways, girls," She said to her companions as she gestured to me. "This is my partner, Elric. Elric, these are my friends, Aiko Sakakibara and her [Pair] Cyan Leistle."

"Pleased to meet you." I said to the two and took a seat beside Victoria. "Anyways, my friend just invited me to enter that [Zone] with them since they're planning to have a go at it."

"Told ya we'd enter it~" Victoria singsonged.

"You and your hunches." Aiko shook her head and let out a small giggle. "Anyways, Cyan and me really have to go now. See you later!"

"Un. Nice to meet you Elric," Cyan said and then she stood up along with Aiko. "See you two later."

"Bye bye~" Victoria waved them goodbye as they leave us.

"So, what time tomorrow?" Victoria asked as she lowers her hand.

"Lunch, around twelve." I reply. "See you tomorrow?"

"Sure." She said. "But before you go, let's eat first!"

Sure enough, a waitress came and placed a few dishes and drinks at our table and two plates with utensils.

"Sure, why not?" I said.


A/N: A little chapter full of character interaction and not much action. And that ends our first chapter! Next chapter focuses on the first [Zone] clearing by or MCs and friends!

If you see any errors, please tell me over the comments so I can fix it.

That's all! Happy reading~

3