Chapter Thirty Four. Captain Dule, to Tihab and back!
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Major Dule had searched out glasses and laid them out in front of the General who filled each glass. Accepting his drink, Dule took the storyteller’s place in front of the group. Taking a sip from the glass, he looked at the General. “That is different sir, do you think you could get more?”

There was a general laugh. Lieutenant Colonel Etic Gunnly and Captain Feli Duaris had taken seats that they had pulled over from the casual area, while Major Van Houser and Commissioner Flores were sitting in front of the desk. Captain Thompson had taken the last vacant chair there. General Major Dennis kept his seat.

Smiling, Dule continued. “Well, to begin, I arrived on the station along with our Master, what, Major about three week’s standard ago?” Major Houser nodded. He remembered the time well.

“Yes, it was 22nd of Dolmas. After taking all steps He considered necessary, which included healing a very serious wound on the young girl, Cami sis Nep, He told us that He was going to call on the local task force commander.” Dule quickly described the events on the space station. There were nods and exclamations from the group at each event. He added, “The others who went on ahead, I never saw them again. I was told later that they had been sent to a center for those needing assistance and were undergoing assessment and getting counselling for their adjustment to their new life.

“Getting back to Cami, I kept a close eye on her. She was, I found, delightful. Only fourteen years old when she became contracted to a salon of some kind; I still don’t know what the means. Anyway, the family that was killed, it was the wife that got her out of that salon. She says that they were very good people and treated her well.

“Anyway, at my request, I managed to get a light cruiser to take me to the rim. The commander of the Galactic Rim Base had received orders to give me priority on the next intergalactic vessel leaving, but we still had to wait.”

“Did the nurse, what was her name?” Major Houser shook his head at not being able to recall it. “Anyway, did she get over her anger? I recall that both her and Doctor Roska, were pretty upset about her being ordered to look after Cami like that.”

“Nurse Carli Janist.” Dule supplied. “She did, especially when she saw how we were treated at every turn! She was a great help with Cami.” Dule smiled in memory. “She is a smart girl, and had a million questions about everything. She talked a lot about her home world as well.” His voice turned sober. “The real fun began when we reached Tihab.”

*********

As he walked in, Captain Dule watched Cami perform her recovery exercises in the rather small but well-appointed exercise room, one of three on the space station. The lack of privacy on the station had bothered Cami from the first but right now she was concentrating on what she was doing so completely she didn’t notice at first that she wasn’t alone. Dule noted with amusement that she was listening to some music being broadcast from the comm unit that she had been issued for her stay.

“Looks like you are fully healed, Cami.” The Captain commented. “In fact you have been released by Doctor Roska as fit to travel.” Camis head snapped around at the unexpected voice.

The rather stormy meeting in which Doctor Karina La Roska agreed to release Cami, went unspoken. The doctor had wanted to examine the area where the bullet had injured Cami, in great detail. This was opposed by the Captain as both unnecessarily intrusive and unwarranted. When the doctor fell back on her powers as the medical authority on the space station, Captain Dule fell back on his own authority as guardian appointed by the Dark Lord. When pressed as to whether Cami was fit to travel, Doctor Roska reluctantly agreed that she was.

“I am ready to travel?” Cami bounced up from the bench where she had been performing one of the routines the therapist had shown her, leg exercises, a big smile on her face. She was wearing the one-piece body suit that she had been given on the first day she woke up. The more revealing exercise clothes she had been given were, in her mind too revealing to wear in public. The smile disappeared in a heartbeat. “But that means I won’t be able to see my family.”

“Not for a while I am afraid.” Rickard Dule replied. “I’m sorry but we will have to leave within the period.”

“I can’t wait to see what happens, down there?” Cami made a gesture to the floor but Captain Dule understood.

“Sorry, no. You have to go where Sessi Dark gen Wattar and the others who came with you went.” He stopped, deciding what to say next. “The empire is sending people to talk with your new government and it might take a long time to fix things up.” He compromised on.

“Oh, but everyone her has been so nice to me here. What should I say to them?” Worry lines creased her face.

“They will know that you will be leaving, it will be announced for me as well.” He added casually, “Nurse Carli Janist is getting ready as well.”

Cami nodded, “Yes, she is coming with us, isn’t she?” While speaking Cami picked up the comm unit and switched it off.

“I’ll walk with you to your room.” The Captain knew that just assuming acceptance in such times was best. While Camis somewhat unnatural calm was worrying, he was going to leave any such problems to the medical experts. They left the rehab area and turning to the left walked down the brightly painted corridor to the transit tubes. In the elevator Dule turned to his charge. “Do you need help packing?” He asked casually, just as they arrived at the level for living accommodation.

Making a face as they left the elevator and moving in the direction of her living quarters, Cami shook her head. “I got used to packing my own things when I got a contract. The bag I was given by the nice people here will take all I have.” A sideways glance and a slight smile accompanied her next words. “Do you need help packing?”

Captain Dule didn’t laugh but a smile twitched his lips.

“I am already packed. A soldier in the legion is used to packing.” He wondered again at the contract that she mentioned, not for the first time. There were so many aspects to Cami sis Nep that he didn’t understand.

Arriving at the door to Camis room, he watched as Cami opened it, a sound alerted them both to the arrival of Carli Janist. “Be quick now Cami, we leave in less than a period.” Turning to look at the nurse, he remembered her objection at first as well as her reluctant acceptance of the Dark Lords order.

“I will meet you at the door to Lower Bay 4.” At Carli’s’ nod, Captain Dule left to collect his own luggage.

*********

Floating down from the orbital passenger transfer station, Cami craned her neck for the best view that she could get of the metropolis of Tihab, which was also rather conveniently, the name of the planet.

“It’s beautiful,” she gushed in her strong yet understandable accent. Both Dule and Carli Janist smiled, although Dule noted that Carli also had her eyes glued to the view.

“What is that big area of trees and open areas, with the large building in the middle?” Cami asked.

“That’s the palace, Cami.” Carli replied. “I have never visited Tihab, but I have seen holo views many times before.”

“Oh, can I go and see it? I have never seen a palace before.” Cami asked eagerly, then pointed. “And that place to the side of it, that open place which seems empty?”

Carli gave a swift glance at Captain Dule.

Dule smiled, readjusted his sword and replied. “I think that we can manage a visit. That other area, people aren’t allowed to go there. It’s private.” He flicked his eyes around them. Even with the priority they had been given each stage of the trip, he still was anxious to maintain a low profile. While he liked Cami, with her fourteen year olds enthusiasm, she could be exhausting at times. In some ways, she was childlike, in others mature beyond her years. He had given thanks on a number of occasions for the Dark Lords forethought in naming Carli Janist as a companion.

A few years older than Dule, solid and somewhat matronly, over the two week journey, she had become a surrogate mother to Cami as the young woman sought some security after being ripped out of her previous existence. So, the three travelling together attracted little notice. Dule quietly spoke to the transit officer at each of the rim transfer basses they arrived at. Showing the documents supplied by the Dark Lord got them through with little obvious fanfare.

This changed when they arrived at Tihab and disembarked at Tihab Central Ground Station.

“Captain Dule, good to see you again,” the tall blocky officer greeted them.

“Colonel Horris, Sir.” Dule gave a smart salute. He smiled as his eyes shifted to the trim young woman standing beside the colonel but made no comment. Alert, he also noted members of the Black Guard in close attendance.

The younger woman smiled. “This must be Cami.” Nita De Posse greeted the young woman. Cami looked uncertain. “And this must be Nurse Carli Janist. Welcome to Tihab.” Carli Janist looked surprised, which rapidly turned to fear. “How…” She could not complete the sentence.

Dule turned from quietly speaking to the senior member of the Black Guard and stepped into the breach. “Nurse Carli Janist, and Cami sis Nep, I would like to introduce Nita De Posse, Administrative Assistant to the Head Steward of the Palace, and Colonel Horris, Aide to the High Commander of the Empire’s Legion.”

Carli, recovering her poise, greeted the pair in turn. Cami had reverted to her childhood training and cast her eyes demurely downward. Waiting to be addressed directly, she made no reply. Carli put an arm around Cami and reassured her that it was all right for her to answer.

“Hello sir, madam.” Cami spoke in her soft voice while moving away from the unwanted touching.

“Welcome Cami.” Colonel Horris with a smile.

“I take it that you are to be our escort, Colonel.” Dule spoke briskly.

“Indeed, we are so let’s go.” They started to move when Nita asked about their luggage.

“Nurse Janist has the most, I travelled light and Cami only has what we were able to put together for her.” Captain Dule explained. “I arranged for the Guard to collect what we had.” He pointed to where the guard were waiting with the luggage.

“Oh, you are on the ball.” Nita laughed. Most used the ancient saying, but none knew where it came from.

“Been here before.” Dule replied, deadpan.

They all laughed. This somewhat reassured Cami who was intimidated by the two newcomers and terrified by the Black Guard. Dule observed the fearful looks she threw at the Guard and casually moved to walk beside her. This seemed to relax Cami somewhat.

Arriving at their vehicle, a large ground floater, they stored the luggage and boarded.

“Miss De Posse, perhaps you could sit with Cami and explain all the sights?” Captain Dule asked.

“Of course, and my name is Nita.” She replied with a smile.

Turning to Cami, she waved her hand and guided her to the front where they had the best view.

“That was very good.” Colonel Horris murmured to Captain Dule. Carli quietly agreed. The vehicle began to leave, following the same route the Captain remembered.

Once the vehicle was underway, Captain Dule turned to the Colonel. “Everything get away on time?”

“Yes.” The Colonel paused. “I am sure that you will get a full briefing in due course.” He raised his hands and shrugged his shoulders. While Dule understood, any dealing involving the Dark Lord was uncertain, Carli was confused and the two soldiers threw her a sympathetic look.

With a smile, Dule suggested that Carli tell Colonel Horris some of the stories she had told him about her service. The Colonel was very good at dealing with people and they were soon laughing. The four guardsmen sat in the rear and observed quietly.

Travelling through the city, brought many ‘Oh and ahs’ from the front. Cami was especially fascinated by the many different types of dress the pedestrians wore, such a contrast with her home world. She gasped when they emerged onto the main road leading to the palace.

“That is the palace Ma’am?” Cami turned wide-eyed to Nita.

“Yes, we shall be there soon.” Nita smiled. “And my name is Nita, not Ma’am.”

“Oh, I can’t call you that. It would be disrespectful and cost me status.” Cami’s wide eyes held a touch of fear.

“I asked you to call me Nita, so it can’t be disrespectful and won’t cost you anything.” Nita replied with a smile. “Look, we are getting close.”

The front façade of the Palace was designed to intimidate. With pillars that rose in the front and wide steps leading up to them, it did just that. There were more ‘Ahs’ from Cami as they drove closer. The floater did not go to the front however but slid around to the side and down to the underground parking garage.

Cami, head was on a swivel, taking in all the sights as they drove into the underground parking entrance. Looking concerned at Nita, she asked where they were going.

“Don’t worry, we are just going to avoid the crowds upstairs. This is a private entrance, and only special people use it.”

“Oh.” Cami thought for a fraction, then with a big smile added. “Well I guess that make us special people,” brought a chuckle from the group. Nita with a solemn face answered, “Yes, we are special.” Satisfied, Cami kept looking all around her.

Coming to a stop at an unloading area, they saw two more members of the Black Guard waiting for them. The four guards on board immediately rose and exited from the rear as the rest of the group moved towards the front exit.

On the ground, the guards ushered them to the secure elevator. Not a word was spoken and Captain Dule saw that Cami was getting nervous again. Moving over to stand beside her, he leaned down and spoke in a low voice. “You know, they scare me to!”

Startled, Cami looked up at him, then smiled.

The elevator arrived. The elder of the guards, waved them in and for the first time spoke. “He is waiting for you. We will leave all your luggage in the Generals old office.”

The doors closed and the four adults looked at each other. Nothing was said. Nothing could be said.

Stepping out into the stewards’ office, Dule observed that the Head Steward was not to be seen. Seeing Nita’s wave, Carli and Captain Dule, with Cami between them, followed Nita and Colonel Horris into the private area of the palace. Cami looked around at the panelled walls, decorated with the occasional painting. “It’s not what I expected,” she said. “I thought that it would be more, I don’t know, grand.”

“This is a private area, Cami.” Nita explained.

“Private, what do you mean?” Cami was puzzled, stopped at the remark and turned fearful eyes to Dule.

Nita took a breath, “Our Master lives here and he is waiting to see you.”

“Master?” Cami was puzzled, then a sudden realisation dawned on her face. “The Dark Lord? We are going to the Dark Lord?” She spoke in an increasingly loud voice. Her eyes were wide and fearful again.

“Yes, but it will be fine, I promise you.” Dule responded, soothingly.

“I don’t want to go there. I have heard dreadful things about him.” Cami was backing away as she spoke.

“There is nothing to be scared about Cami, not for you anyway.” Nita walked back to her. Colonel Horris was standing back, his instinct for difficult situations telling him that it was better for Nita and Carli to deal with Cami. Captain Dule had that same idea.

Cami was remembering all the tales from her childhood. The parental admonishment ‘If you don’t be good, the Dark Lord will take you away’ thing. While she had grown out of such threats, she had heard enough to not want to be anywhere near such a person.

“Cami,” Carli reverted to her nurse’s mode. “Remember in the hospital, you were lying on your stomach and someone came in and touched you and you went to sleep?”

“Yes, I think so.” Cami had stopped and was standing still.

“And the next morning, you woke up and you were better?”

“Yes.” She nodded.

“That was the Dark Lord. He healed you.”

“He did?” Cami’s face held a slightly puzzled look. “I remember someone. He was dressed properly and said ‘shush’ to me”

“Yes, I was there. I saw it all.” Carli smiled. “Don’t you think that it would be polite and respectful to thank him?” 

Still uncertain, Cami looked to the two people who had become so important in a short time.

“We’ll go in together.” Captain Dule smiled reassuringly and walked along with both Cami and Carli.

A couple of twists and turns later, they were approaching the familiar room known as the study. As Dule expected, a small group of women stood outside the waiting room, all he recognised as Ladies of the Circle. As the group came around the corner, the women, all broke into smiles when they saw who was in the lead.

“Oh look, its Cami and The Captain.” A tall athletic woman dressed in a one-piece suit said.

“And the Colonel with his love.” Exclaimed the redhead Sydney. They both stepped forward. Nita’s face was flaming. Horris’s was also red. The Ladies were obviously well aware of the pairs growing relationship.

Cami leant into Dule, the fear growing in her again, she had heard about this strange, beautiful and charismatic group of women and considered them only slightly less scary then the Dark Lord. Seeing her fear, Dule held up his hand. “Ladies,” he said firmly, also giving a nod of his head. “A little space please.”

Giving a quick appraisal of Cami, Lady Sydney gave a smile to Dule along with a respectful look. “Of course, she has come a long way and suffered much.” She smiled at Cami. “It is simply that we are pleased to see you.”

There was a tentative smile from Cami, not immune to the Ladies charm, but she said nothing. Lady Sydney pointed into the waiting room. Nita, Carli and Horris also gave Dule looks of respect as they entered the room. Few could talk to the Ladies with such a firm tone.

The Dark Lord was sitting in his usual chair by the empty fireplace. Unusually, the room was otherwise empty.

“Good. You have returned Captain, with all as instructed. You have done well, I will remember.”

Gratified, Captain Dule bowed. “Sire, I present Cami sis Nep, and Nurse Carli Janist.”

The Dark Lord stood, “Come in.” He beckoned them

Slowly Cami moved into the room, staring at the figure of shadowy nighttime stories, still standing close to both Nurse Carli Janist and Captain Dule. Carli remained in nurse mode, watching Cami carefully.

Looking at the Dark Lord, Cami spoke in her soft voice. “Thank you for healing me sir.” She got a smile in return.

“It was nothing Cami.” The smile disappeared. “But now I must finish what I started. Sydney, Sofia.” At the call of their names, the two Ladies both stepped forward, their faces serious. Other Ladies now came into the room.

“You recall why you are here Cami? Do you remember what happened before?”

At the Dark Lord’s questions, Cami shook her head and answered, “Not really. It is all fuzzy. It appears and disappears. Like it was in a dream.”

A twisted smile touched the Dark Lord’s lips. “I wanted you to be able to make the trip without too much difficulty. Your memories have been suppressed, but not completely, so you retained your natural self. I will now allow them to start surfacing, but slowly, over a few days. Captain Dule must return to his duties, but Nurse Janist will stay with you and others will help.” He looked closely at Cami. “Are you ready?”

“I’m scared,” She whispered, glancing at Carli who had gasped at the disclosure.

“Of course you are scared, but you must have your memories in full. That is the only way you can deal with them and heal completely. As I said, others will help.” He gave Lady Sofia a look and she moved behind Cami just as the Dark Lord touched Cami’s forehead. Cami’s eyes widened and she screamed. The tall, athletic Lady caught her as she fell.

“Take her to the room that was prepared for her.” The instruction went to Lady Sydney who nodded and left, followed by Lady Sofia, in her one-piece suit, holding a sobbing Cami in her arms. “Go with them nurse.” Carli stared wide eyed at the Dark Lord, then turned and followed the small group.

Captain Dule, Nita and Colonel Horris remained, standing like statues.

“I do not like tampering with anyone’s mind, Captain.” The Dark Lord spoke quietly. “But, it would have been difficult for her to travel with you otherwise. Her recovery will take time, but she is young and resilient. The indoctrination she has already received on her home planet will help somewhat, also Nurse Janist has had training that will guide her. The Ladies will also help. They all have had experience with such mental trauma. Others will be called if necessary.”

The Dark Lord sighed, putting his hands in his pockets, then continued. “Captain Dule, I will now send you back to General Dennus, as I promised. All will be in order when you arrive, including your kit.”

“Sire, I would like to be able to reassure Major Houser and the others about Cami. Also those who came with her earlier, and went on ahead.”

“Cami is no longer your concern, and neither are those who came before her, but I understand. She has been through a traumatic event and it will leave its mark. However, as I said, she is resilient, more so then you might think. She will survive. As for the others who arrived earlier, they are being taken care of as well.” With a smile he stepped forward and clapped a hand on Dule’s shoulder. “Now you must go.”

*********

“He then dismissed me after telling me where I was going and all the other things I mentioned to you sir, and I walked out of the study and stepped into my new quarters!” With a lift of his hands and a sip of his drink, Dule sat down, the tale ended.

The group had listened fascinated to the story. In particular, Flores and Houser followed the narration with interest. They had nodded at various times during the story and Houser had sat up at the revelation of the Dark Lord’s action in blocking Cami’s memories. Flores simply nodded.

“You knew!” Houser exclaimed, looking at the Commissioner.

“I guessed. She was too calm during her recovery here for my liking.” Flores spoke more soberly than usual. “I too have witnessed many sights.”

The others also nodded, including Major Dule. “I should have guessed,” he said shaking his head.

“Never mind, she is out of our hands now. Thanks Rickard, I am glad that it was you who handled that. Now let’s get back to work, we have to be ready when Leves calls back. Commissioner, what do you see as the possibilities?”

The group settled down to work. Ideas were expressed and different scenarios floated. The exchange of ideas went back and forth with opinions expressed openly and freely. The final conclusion was that there were too many possibilities to consider. Leves attitude was also something impossible to gauge, but all agreed that he was key to getting a meeting.

Dennus stood up and stretched. “I am neither the Dark Lord nor one of the Ladies. That would make it easier.” He checked the ship’s time. “By this repeater, it is getting late. Get to bed everyone. Major Dule, first contact the bridge. If Leves or someone else gets back to us, tell them to wake me straight away.”

“Sir,” Dule saluted and left. The rest followed Dule, while giving Dennis suggestions on ways to get more of the same bottle from the Dark Lord’s stash. Most were humorous and involved various methods of begging or theft. These were all laughed off.

After closing the door and setting the entrance alarm, Dennus wandered to his sleeping quarters. Disrobing and placing his uniform into the automatic cleaner took just a fraction. Naked he stretched out on his bed.

Maybe I will get some sleep, Dennus thought as he closed his eyes.

0