Chapter Thirty Seven. Cami makes a request of the Dark Lord.
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Carli was beyond surprise, the last thing she expected was that Cami sis Nep wanted to approach the Dark Lord.

“I must speak to him!” Cami pleaded with Nurse Carli Janist. “I must!”

“Why do you want to see him?” Carli asked. “What do you expect Him to do?”

“There is something I have to ask him.” Cami replied.

“What.” Carli frowned; this was not the Cami she had gotten to know. This Cami was scared but also determined, the planets inherent stubbornness showing.

A sound at the door of Camis room in the palace caught their attention as Lady Sydney stepped in from the corridor. Standing behind her was Lady Sofia, both with concerned looks on their faces.

“He will see you Cami, but be warned, his mood is … uncertain.” When Carli moved to go with them, she stopped at Lady Sydney’s upheld hand. “I am sorry,” Sydney said, “but we were told to bring Cami only.” The three left.

For a fraction, Carli considered following them, but the warning about the Dark Lords mood held her back. She had only seen him twice, once on the space station and second, when they had arrived. That had been quite enough to convince her not to risk his wrath, even as she wondered; How did he know? The import of her conversation with Usher Heidi was now clear in her mind.

*********

It took less than a fraction for Cami and her escort to descend the two flights of stairs and so reach the room where the Dark Lord was waiting for them. At the entrance to the room, Cami looked at the two Ladies, squared her shoulders, lifted her chin and walked in the room, stopped with her hands on her hips and opened her mouth to speak. Nothing came out as she was shocked to silence. The Dark Lord was asleep in His chair. Sydney and Sofia had exchanged smiles at first at Camis determination, but now gave each other startled looks.

Giving a soft laugh, the blue-eyed companion that they both had heard about but never had seen before, was sitting in her accustomed chair just reached out and touched His knee. The Dark Lord slowly opened His eyes and turned His head.

“Ah, you are here.” He said, looking the trio over, “Step closer Cami, I see that you wish to make a request of me.”

With uncertain steps, the young woman moved closer to the chair. She looked around, seeing that only the five of them were in the room reassured her.

“I was told back home that you can do anything, grant any wish, nothing can be hidden from you, nothing can stop you.” She stopped talking. Silence reigned,

The Dark Lord remained expressionless. After a fraction He replied. “People say lots of things. Most are untrue.”

“What I have said, is that true?” Cami persisted, stepping further into the study.

Again the Dark Lord delayed his reply. “In part.” He stopped and looked away, then looked back. “There are things I cannot do and things that I will not do.”

Cami stepped closer. “I want to ask you something. Will you do it for me?”

There was silence again. The Dark Lord seemed to be struggling with his answer. The three Ladies watched, caught by the drama of the moment.

“I will consider what you ask, but you must tell me what it is.” He finally replied, arms folded across his chest. “Choose your words carefully and speak the truth.”

“Will you save my family and my friends?” Cami had reached the Dark Lords chair, and was gripping one chair arm with both hands. The two stared at each other. One in need, the other expressionless, but moving to a decision.

“I will try,” He replied after a fraction. “But if they say no, I cannot force them. They must make their own choice.”

“Even the young ones?” Cami spoke with urgency, reaching out as if to take His hand.

“I repeat, I will do what I can.” He suddenly smiled and took Camis hand, holding it for a fraction. Releasing the hand but continuing to smile, He told Cami to go back to her room. Cami gave a tentative smile and left the room.

The three Ladies exchanged surprised glances then stared at the Dark Lord who was now standing.

“Well I have to go there some time anyway.” He said somewhat defensively. “And I may not be able to persuade them. They are a stubborn lot! Also, Cami, though she doesn’t know it has one more task to fulfill before this is over.” The Ladies just looked at him in silence. “Say nothing of this, not to anyone.” He added, then, with a sigh, left.

 

0