Chapter Thirty Nine. The Dark Lord Strikes.
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The time passed slowly as they waited. The Dark Lord sat in what had become the Ladies lounge, closed His eyes and seemed to mediate. All three of the Ladies retired to another room and talked quietly. With one period to go to midday, the Ladies returned, somber looks on their faces. They all walked to General Dennus office who was already awake, having been alerted by the imperial guard.

“General, we need to go to the bridge.” The Dark Lord spoke.

 Dennus turned to Lieutenant Colonel Gunnly. “Advise Captain Thompson that we are on our way.” The colonel pulled out his comm unit and spoke quietly.

A fraction later, the Dark Lord addressed Captain Thompson. “Captain, I wish to speak to Admiral De Johnston.” This was quickly done.

“Sire, the force is at your command.” Admiral De Johnston addressed the Dark Lord.

“Thank you, Admiral. However, most will not be needed.” The Dark Lord drew a breath. “First, under no circumstances, should any craft launch any missiles or engage any target on the planet’s surface. If attacked, use defensive means only. Understand?”

The Admiral looked surprised, but acknowledged, “Yes, sire.”

“Secondly, any craft that leaves the planet surface is to be contacted once it is out of the planet’s atmosphere. Ascertain who is on board. If it is refugees seeking asylum, then they are to be escorted to an appropriate ship. Any other craft is to be destroyed.” He paused, then continued, “There will not be any hyper-capable craft to worry about. Following recent events, Leves has ordered all these to be rendered incapable of flight. In their arrogance, the military complied. Further, the transfer station has been evacuated.” Looking into the Admirals eyes, He continued. “Understand?” There was an answering nod, and “Yes, sire.”

“Thirdly, withdraw all craft beyond the hyper threshold. Do this at once. In addition, have the Empire’s space station evacuated and withdrawn as well. The station is to be programed to automatically redirect all calls to this vessel.”

“Off course, sire.” The Admiral turned to his staff, spoke for a fraction and then turned back. “Are there any further orders, sire?”

“No, I shall take care of the rest.”

The Admiral looked both confused and surprised, but saluted. “I shall promulgate your orders at once, sire.”

The connection vanished and Captain Thompson turned to the second in command.

“Execute orders on receipt of instructions from Vice Admiral Hojo.” It was necessary to await for formal instructions on where they were to park the battleship.

“We will wait out the time to midday with you, Captain.”

Captain Thompson did not look pleased. This was a spacious ship with a large and well equipped bridge, but the presence of the Dark Lord, along with His three Ladies, General Major Dennus and his three staff members, meant that the bridge was somewhat crowded. However, she felt that she could not really object.

A couple of fractions later, the communication officer spoke, “Orders received from Vice Admiral Hojo’s craft, sir. We are to proceed to thirty degrees above the ecliptic directly back from our current position. We will be well clear of all other craft sir.”

“Very good, carry on.” Captain Thompson replied, after a glance at the Dark Lord.

Tension grew as the maneuver was carried out. All the crew onboard was conscious of the approaching deadline.

*********

On the planet, Chief Councillor Leves exulted when informed of the movement of the Empire’s fleet. “See, they are running!” He laughed.

Turning to his Chief Administrative officer, he ordered a planet wide broadcast.

“I will speak to the people! How they will laugh when they hear this!”

“What about what the custodians of the treaty told you about the clauses in the treaty?” The Chief Administrative officer frowned, as he waved to a technician.

“Ha, just posturing on the part of this so-called master!” Leves was clapping his hands in glee. “I knew he wouldn’t stand up to us!”

“They may have another reason for their withdrawal.” Was pointed out by another staff member.

“What could that be? They need to be closer to launch a successful assault and they know that we have no real defence against them! So the only reason that they are withdrawing is because that are giving up!” Leves stalked off to give his speech.

********

On the Command Battleship Maiden Constance, tension was high and getting higher as the deadline approached. Only the Dark Lord seemed unaffected. Sitting in a chair He had appropriated, He had closed His eyes and appeared to be totally relaxed. In contrast, the three Ladies that remained were silently clustered behind the chair. Occasionally they shared a glance, but made no effort to speak.

General Dennus, with his three staff members also stood in silence and waited. On his ship, Admiral De Johnston and Vice Admiral Hojo also waited. The tension was high throughout the task forces. All waited for the expiry of the deadline.

*********

Leves was euphoric, the auto feedback from the personal chips implanted at age seven indicated virtual unanimity of the planets population with Leves viewpoint. This strengthened his resolve.

In his country cottage on his estate, Councillor de Markus, opened the bottle of alcohol that the Dark Lord had given him. It was indeed the same brand that he had sampled the evening that he had met with Rentap Dressiler. Taking a sip, he lounged back in his chair and looked out over the land he had loved so much. His wife was laying on their bed with his mistress, both were already dead from poison they had taken, rather than leave the planet.

*********

The Dark Lord’s eyes opened. “Already, so soon,” He whispered.

The others stared at Him. The slender brown haired Lady took a tentative step forward, then stopped. No one else moved.

“Point one period to time, sir,” the navigator reported.

“Noted,” Captain Thompson replied. She glanced at the Dark Lord then looked away.

*********

In his office, Chief Councillor Leves still laughed, but could not completely disabuse himself of all tension. He turned to his senior military officer.

“Any reaction from the Empire’s forces?”

“Nothing, sir. No raising of shields, at least not by the closest ones. These are the only ones we can read remotely from the transfer station.”

“Good, they will do nothing!”

His military advisors unconvinced, looked at each other but said nothing.

*********

“Time, sir,” the Navigator reported. All eyes flicked to the Dark Lord. General Major Dennus stepped to the Dark Lord. “Sire, do you have any orders?”

The Dark Lord stood. “I confirm the orders I gave previously, with one more. If Leves wishes to contact me, inform me at once. I will decide what to do then.” He turned away, glancing at the Ladies. “It is done. There is nothing left.”

“Sire?” Dennus was getting somewhat weary of the Dark Lord’s enigmatic ways, but kept himself under control.

Dennus received a glance, then the Dark Lord turned to Captain Thompson. “Monitor the planet, Captain. That will give you your answer.”

“You didn’t?” whispered Lady Dana while a look of horror grew on Lady Andrea’s face. The third Lady’s face remained mask like. Everyone on the Bridge stared.

“It is done,” the Dark Lord repeated. He stalked off the bridge, His cloak billowing. Exchanging looks, the three Ladies followed. No one spoke or moved.

*********

“Midday has passed, Chief Councillor.” The head of Ti Lepus military turned to Leves and continued, “There is still no reaction from the Empire’s forces.”

Leves smiled.

*********

Jean ne Pator, the Dressiler’s housekeeper sat at the large picture window. The family member who had inherited the dwelling had advised her that the position she held would be retained. Looking out the window and remembering when the Dressilers had told her about the Dark Lord and described his powers in a casual conversation, she knew that the family would never move in. Picking up the remote controller, she waited. When it started, she intended to open the window.

*********

Tension was, if possible, even higher on the bridge of the Maiden Constance. Captain Thompson glanced at General Major Dennus as he called for an update.

“Sir, point zero five past deadline.” The Navigator paused. “There is a slight irregularity in the planet’s orbit, but it is within error limits.”

Dennus opened his mouth, but Captain Thompson was quicker. “Recalculate and confirm.”

Recovering, the Navigator ran the scans again. There was a look of awe and fear on his face. “Confirmed, sir. Definite change in orbit. Orbit is decaying and the decay is increasing.”

“Get the flagship,” Captain Thompson ordered.

*********

In his office in the Council’s building at Lepus Mal, Leves was sitting behind his desk when the first bout of shaking occurred. Quakes were rare on Ti Lepus, but they did occur. This one was strong enough to shake buildings apart, causing extensive damage and casualties.

Looking from his building, Leves gaped at the damage in the street. Cracks had appeared in the street and fountains of water and sewerage were spouting in several places. Vehicles were strewn here and there while bodies were flung in ghastly poses. Patrol officers were helping and calling for assistance. Looking out his window, Leves grabbed at his senior assistant. “Contact the Science Bureau, I want to know what is going on!”

The man just stood there. “The sun, the sun,” he gibbered.

“What about the sun?” Leves shouted.

“It’s in the wrong place!”  He pointed. The sun, to Leves’s shock, was in the north. He grabbed at his assistant again. “The Science Bureau, get them now!”

*********

The window open, Jean ne Pator stood for a fraction savoring the open air. The shaking intensified and she closed her eyes and stepped out. Her eyes remained closed all the way down.

*********

Captain Thompson stepped away from the comm station. She walked to where Dennus was staring at the holo schematic. The planet was now a full planet width out of orbit in less than a half of a period and the rate of decay was still increasing.

“I don’t know how He did it and I am quite certain I don’t want to know.” Captain Thompson looked at her superior officer, “No sign of anyone trying to escape as yet.”

Dennus spoke heavily. “I doubt that we will see any shuttle craft trying to escape.” He turned away. “Any information as to what is going on down there?” He stabbed a finger at the display.

“Lots. Earthquakes, surge waves, even some volcanism, sir.” The Captain gave a wave at the display. “They will be busy, but not for long.”

“What do you mean?” Dennus asked.

“It’s already started, sir. At the rate the decay is increasing, they will be heading directly towards the sun and be halfway there in about eleven periods. I am no expert, but the planet’s surface will probably be intolerable by then and most of the atmosphere may be gone. The way it is facing, the North Pole is pointed directly towards the sun. So, unless the planet continues to flip, there will possibly be some survivors in the south. If they can find some air to breath.”

“It will flip.” Dennus was emphatic.

“You sure?” The stress felt by the Captain was clear in both her speech and lapses in proper etiquette.

“I am certain that our Master has planned well.” Dennus had not forgotten his conversation with the Dark Lord by the window in the palace. They stood for a fraction in silence.

“Captain.” Dennus turned to face Captain Thompson. “If you need me, I will be in my office. Gentleman.” With a wave to his staff, he left. His staff followed, subdued.

*********

On the planet’s surface, the temperature was steadily increasing. Not a hot planet, the heat was already reaching undesirable levels and the rivers, lakes and seas were on their way to boiling. At the same time, due to the unstable rotation, the planet was suffering from increases in both volcanic activity and ground tremors. The seas were also surging back and forth with resultant giant waves.

In both the cities and countryside, people were dying. Some by their own hand, but most by the effects of the planets agonies. At his estate, Councillor Markus measured the volcano activity that he could see and calculated his chances of survival. He gave the partly empty bottle a regretful look. Reaching down beside his lounger chair, he found and picked up the weapon that lay there. It was a pulse gun. Looking out over the ravaged land, he gave a sigh, put the weapon to his head and pulled the trigger.

*********

Rakhman ra Tyrrel, and his wife Sirian, hugged and cowered in their room. Warned by Nic ra Ptocto, they too had declined the chance to seek sanctuary. With Ptocto’s help they had obtained poison in order to make certain their children did not suffer. When the earthquakes started and the sun moved across the sky, they took their final step. With the children taken care of first, they looked at each other, swallowed the drink they held and closed their eyes.

*********

Leves had painfully made his way to the Emergency Command Center in Lepus Mal with those of his staff who survived. This was not a well fitted out back up to the government’s main offices. It was just a set of offices with some communication links.

“Get me in touch with the Empire, now!” Leves was gasping. He wondered why he was so short of breath.

“Sir, we will try.” The senior officer, a member of the militia sat at a console and desperately punched keys. After trying for a fraction, he turned to the Chief Councillor. “Sorry sir, it is hopeless. I can’t get a signal to the next block, let alone through the atmosphere, what is left of it.”

Leves took a closer look at the colonel. He saw that the colonel was wearing a breathing mask. Were things getting that bad?

There was a banging at the door, the science adviser staggered in. Leves stood up, but stopped as a medical attendant stepped in front of him. A mask was slapped on the man’s face and he inhaled desperately.

“What’s happening, tell me?” Leves grabbed at the man but was pulled off by another.

“We are dying, that’s what happening,” the man who pulled him off said. Leves didn’t recognise him. “Look around,” he continued. “You pissed off the most powerful man in the Empire and this is what he does.” A hand was waved at the door, the man coughing at the same time.

The science advisor pulled the mask off his face. He gasped and reached to Leves, dropping his hand as he did so. “We are about ten percent closer to that sun, maybe twenty. We can’t be sure.” The words came in short bursts. “The atmosphere will start to go. The volcanoes will make it worse.”

“Volcanoes?” Leves stuttered.

“Yes, breaking out all over.”

There was a roar and a scream. The building shook. Leves barely had a chance to scream as the building collapsed while magma rolled over it.

*********

On the Command Battleship Maiden Constance the Dark Lord opened his eyes. They shifted towards the three Ladies who were watching him.

“Leves is dead, as is Markus and the Tyrrels, Ti Lepus will be a sea of fire soon.” He closed His eyes again.

“Can you not stop it?” Lady Dana leaned forward.

“It is too late for that.” Silence fell.

*********

As the planet drew closer to the sun with increasing demonic velocity, all surface water began to boil. The atmosphere eroded, but was replaced with steam mixed with the fumes of the volcanoes and fires from both the forests and cities that had raged across the planet. The few people who had survived up till now, were mostly huddled in small groups. They didn’t have long to wait before death came to relieve them from their agonies.

As the planet gyrated and the protective atmosphere eroded under the searing blast of radiation from the sun, the people were increasingly exposed to lethal radiation. This would not kill them. What would was the poisonous fumes that grew and choked the life out of the remaining few alive, along with the increasingly lethal heat from the growing sun.

Before the planet reached halfway to the sun, there was no one left alive on it. Not one shuttle had left the ground. No one had tried to seek sanctuary with the Empire.

The doomed plant hurtled on, seemingly eager to reach its fiery destiny. The crews on the Empire’s craft watched in fascinated horror as Ti Lepus reached its sun. Barely ten periods had passed since the last spark of life was extinguished on the planet. The crews were unsure about what was more terrifying, the stark display of the Dark Lord’s power or the fact that not one person had even tried to escape the doomed planet.

Reaching the sun, just over twenty periods after the deadline had passed, Ti Lepus was welcomed by the outer fringes of the corona. These slid over the planet’s surface, lapping the planet with a lover’s caress, enveloping it as the planet seemed to hesitate before being drawn deep into the sun, deep inside where it would be slowly adsorbed, adding its insignificant mass to the suns metallic content.

*********

 On the Maiden Constance, Captain Thompson rose to her feet. “Present location of our Ladies?”

“In the area of the Ambassador’s suites, sir.” The first officer replied.

“Thank you. First Officer, you have the bridge.”

“Yes, sir.”

The suites she needed were reasonably close, so Captain Thompson arrived faster than she really wanted. Coming to the suite that was the last known location of the Dark Lord, she took a breath and reached for the annunciator. The door slid open before she could announce her presence. Shaken, she quickly recovered having been warned by General Dennus, and spoke to the Lady she recognised as Dana.

“My Lady, if he is present, may I speak with our Master?”

For a fraction, Lady Dana stood unsmiling then moved aside. Advancing into the room, she moved to stand before the seat now occupied by the Dark Lord with Captain Thompson following. The Captain saluted as His head slowly raised.

“Captain Thompson, I distinctly remember designating General Major Dennus as my contact with the Legion.”

The tone was mild, but Captain Thompson heard the undercurrent of rebuke.

Standing stiffly before her sovereign, she met His graze squarely. “You did, sire, but I am Captain of this vessel.”

A slight smile flickered on the sovereign’s lips and disappeared.

“You have a request for me from Admiral De Johnston?”

“I do, sire. He requests orders.”

“And?”

“And nothing, sire. He simply needs to know what your intentions are as regards the task force.”

“I see.” There was silence for a fraction. “I will consider this. Send General Dennus to me and advise the good Admiral that orders will be forthcoming soon.”

“Yes, sire.” Again Captain Thompson saluted, turned on her heel and departed.

Outside, she removed her cap and ran her hand through her hair.

At the General’s office, she passed the message on, giving a précis of her discussion with both Admiral De Johnston and the Dark Lord. Dennus’s only comment was to the effect that it was better her then him. With a smile, he affirmed that he was not upset and, yes, this was the Captain’s ship.

On the bridge, Captain Thompson contacted Admiral De Johnston.

“Our Master is considering His options. General Dennus is now with Him and I expect that we will be getting orders soon sir.”

“Thank you Captain Thompson. We appreciate your effort. Out.” The holo disappeared.

Turning to her officers, Captain Thompson issued orders getting the ship ready for departure. Not sure where they would be going, she instructed the Navigator to prepare three possible routes. The first to the Rim Station providing the most direct route to Tihab. Another to the Administrative Planet of Marker’s Star galaxy and a third to travel in the opposite direction, in case the Dark Lord wanted an excursion. The planning was to prove redundant.

The Maiden Constance was in excellent condition, so was quickly made ready for flight. As the crew had been stood down from defensive stations, there was also plenty of talk. As with all such events, some of the crew in their bull sessions began the usual exaggerations and embellishments, none of which were corrected.

Barely a half period after Captain Thompson’s visit, the Dark Lord along with the Ladies, General Dennus and his staff, stepped onto the bridge.

“Attention.” The Ships Master had been loitering on the bridge. The crew jumped to their feet.

“Back to your tasks.” The Dark Lord quietly commanded.

“Sire.” Captain Thompson was standing at her command post.

“I have instructions for the task force, Captain.” To all appearances the Dark Lord appeared to be quite composed. Captain Thompson kept her thoughts to herself and waited for the instructions to be given. “Kindly contact both Admiral De Johnston and Vice Admiral Hojo. There are separate orders to be given to each of them.”

“At once, sire.” A nod was given to her third officer who hurried to complete the order. The connections were quickly made.

“Sire, you have orders for us?” Admiral De Johnston spoke first being the senior officer.

“I do. First, Admiral Hojo, you will escort us to Tihab. Please make ready to do so. We will depart on your ready signal.” The Admiral gave a bow and saluted. “Do not leave us just yet, Admiral, I wish for you to hear the rest of my instructions.”

“As you wish, sire.” The Admiral was not concerned, this was a commonplace measure to keep all commanders in the loop.

“Admiral De Johnston, I wish you to prepare your task force to advance to the Rim Transfer station in preparation for transit to the Triangulum group. But before you make the transit, I wish to discuss this and other matters with Marshal of the Legion Nikki Du Massi. So you will need to await further orders there.” He paused and smiled. “The Marshall will have her own ideas.”

The Triangulum group had been recently colonised in the Empire’s last expansion phase just several hundred years ago. While most of the galaxies in the group had been sparsely populated, there were several small but growing political groups of various kinds. Most had happily agreed to being absorbed into the Empire; however, some had resisted. Only a couple had tried to use force and had received retaliation in kind. None had fought to the death, although this had been threatened. Internal dissension, encouraged by the Empire’s agents, had been sufficient to bring down governments that opposed joining the Empire.

Promises of full citizenship in the empire, along with freedoms such as of travel, association and other benefits had been sufficient in most cases. When more alien races whose whole being were largely incompatible with the dominant hominoid character of the empire were encountered, the Empire proceeded even more carefully. Often they were brought into association with the Empire. Usually there were only a few points in which there were conflicts as the planets in which each were interested were very different, so the two tended to tolerate each other well.

However, piracy was rampant in the Triangulum group and posed a significant problem. So Admiral De Johnston knew that if he went there, he would be very busy.

“By your command, sire. However, I have one point that I would like to raise.” The Admiral paused.

“Please continue, Admiral.”

“Admiral Hojo’s command. It is a potent, well balanced, and well-disciplined force. Could this be returned to me? It would be of great assistance in dealing with the pirate problem should we be forwarded, as you suggest.” Admiral Hojo looked pleased at the implied commendation.

The Dark Lord smiled. “An excellent point, I will raise it with the Marshal, but as force distribution is her responsibility, the final word must lie with her.”

“Thank you, my Lord.” At a nod from the Dark Lord, the connection was cut.

“Captain, I will be with the General for a while. Please advise when we reach Tihab.” He turned to General Dennus. “Your office, General.”

The group left the bridge. As they did, the First officer turned to the Captain. “We are ready to jump and have received instructions from the Admiral’s ship to proceed on his mark.”

“Destination?”

“Rim Transfer Station sir, the one we came in on.” He paused. “What did He mean, that remark about Tihab?”

The Captain gave her First officer, the sort of look a senior officer gives a usually competent junior officer who had just made a foolish remark. “We’ll see,” was all she said.

 “Jump sequence engaged.” When a number of craft were jumping to the same point, they had to go in proper order. No one wanted to arrive in the same space as another craft. That would be loud, messy and final. “Closing view shields.” The Navigator was now controlling the ship.

“Countdown commencing, automatic jump coming up … now!” The ship board announcement was for those who had a reaction to hyper jumps. The battleship gathered itself and jumped.

“Time for transit?” the Captain asked.

“Eleven point six two standard period’s sir.” The Navigator replied.

Captain Thompson keyed her ship wide comm mode. “To all hands. We are now in hyper. Estimated transit time eleven point six periods. There will be an officer mandated ship-wide inspection in two standard periods. That is all.” As she closed her comm, a small smile played on her lips, such inspections were never popular. An officer mandated inspection meant that each officer inspected a different part of the ship and not one for which they were normally responsible. No part was exempt, so Captain Thompson took the precaution of speaking to both General Dennus and the Dark Lord.

Finding both, along with the three Ladies and the general’s staff, in Dennus’s office she explained what was to happen. General Dennus agreed immediately. The Dark Lord smiled and raised an eyebrow, then gave a glance at the three Ladies. They all were wearing a cat’s smile that caused Captain Thompsons heart to sink. Out of the corner of her eye, she noted that a smile was playing on Dennus’s lips as well.

“We will be cooperative, Captain. We understand that such inspections are necessary for the efficient running of the ship.” The Dark Lord threw another look at the Ladies.

“Thank you, sire.” Captain Thompson withdrew, thinking that it was possible for the Dark Lord to exercise control over the Ladies. At least, she hoped He did.

*********

Transit time passed normally. The inspection went off well, much to the Captain’s relief. The inspection of the quarters occupied by the Dark Lord and the Ladies was also carried out without any difficulties or games played by the Ladies.

“Coming up on hyper shutdown sir.” The First officer informed the Captain

“Acknowledged.” To Captain Thompson’s mild surprise, neither the Dark Lord nor the Ladies were present.

“Shutdown, sir. Coming out now.” The shields covering the main windows were raised and the Navigator bent over his console. “Rest of Task force also arriving.”

“Position?” There was a pause.

“Sir, we are at Tihab.” The astonishment was clear in the Navigator’s voice. “Along with the whole escort force.”

The Captain sat back in her chair. “It seems that our sovereign did not want to delay his return.”

 

0