Chapter 14: Finally on the right path again
304 11 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

A week has passed already since I sent the first message home. My parents, Violet and I have been exchanging messages on a daily basis, so visiting the guild first thing in the morning has become a daily activity for me. Rose so far has always faithfully accompanied me. This morning we heard that the rescue team should be here in a week or two, if all goes according to their plans.

And today, after arriving back at the Elven village, we decided that it was time to have some fun.
Sure, healing trees and such was fun...in the beginning....but now it's just plain boring. 

We don't mind doing that...no no no, but it's just....boring, you know? So we have decided to spruce things up by exploring the forest around the Elven village. Every day we go somewhere else and see where we end up. And at night we will be with the Elves and sleep in Meira's room as usual. We're not worried about hunger as a single berry is more than enough food for a fairy and lucky for us, the forest provides enough of those.

Did you know that some Elves can play the flute pretty amazingly well? They make it sound so mesmerizing, so mysterious. They play it every night while sitting near a fire, watching the stars. Stars that have finally reappeared after healing this area for the past week or so. During the day many sun beams reach their village now, and at night we're treated to a starry sky. But time is still limited, mostly an hour or so and then the skies get clouded again. But every day we seem to be able to improve the weather around this place, just a tiny bit. And our negative stats have been improving  pretty quickly thanks to our handy work.

And now, after lunch, we're heading into yet another unexplored area of the forest. Rose and I are healing trees just by touching them, or sitting on branches. Playing tag seemed to be a logical way to pass the time and heal nature at the same time. We have to find each other by looking at changes in the forest, helping us become more aware of our surroundings as well.

Then, just after Rose had found me, we rested on a branch, discussing what we would do when we finally returned home. But before we could start exploring this very interesting topic, we were distracted by a strange sound...coming from deeper inside the forest. It sounded ..... ominous ....primeval...some kind of moaning .... painful....dangerous.

"What the heck was that? Rose, come, let's check it out!"

"Huh, are you crazy? Those could be demons or something even worse. Who knows what evil dwells in these woods."

"My god, that's the single most depressing thing I have ever heard. We're invisible, Rose. And besides, if it really is dangerous, the Elves have the right to know about it. And more importantly....it's exciting!"

"Okay, okay....that's true, I guess. But be careful. I don't want to send back a message home that their thrill seeking daughter died by the hands of walking trees."

"Walking trees? You have those here?"

"What? Nooo! Of course not, you dumb dumb. It's from a story for kids."

I simply shake my head. But her remark about fairy tales reminded me of one. I try to memorize the way we came from and suggest that we heal the trees on our way towards that sound. Just like using breadcrumbs, we can always find our way back to the Elves by retracing the path of healed trees.

 

 

The deeper we enter the forest, the louder the moaning gets. Louder and louder....creepier and creepier...we are slowly approaching whatever lurks in these woods.

We must have flown for about fifteen minutes, and I'm reluctant to continue flying. This creature might be too far away and I don't want to fly in darkness. So let's give it a few more minutes.

The part of the forest near the Elves had been quiet since we had first entered it a week ago. But after healing that area for a few days, birds returned and seem to be repopulating the area. More and more birdsong can be heard there. Even crickets. But this area....is so utterly quiet. No sounds at all....except for the miserably moaning sounds that are coming from something very near us now.

I think it's really close. I motion Rose to be quiet and she nods, carefully flying next to me.

"Oooooooo.......Awooooooo.......Ooooooooo." 

It almost sounds like a wolf howling, but it would have to be a wolf in pain. Serious pain.
The area grows darker and darker, not due to something mysterious, but due to the dense leaves that prevent any daylight from entering this area. This is one place where I would NOT want to spend my holiday, let me tell you that!

 

Then, finally, we see what's causing the sound. A deer stands in a glade, a grassy area surrounded by dark trees. This location seems to be the only place where at least some light reaches the forest floor.

The deer suddenly spots us and tilts its head, then kneels and sits down on its belly, showing us that it's not a danger to us. Wait...weren't we supposed to be invisible?

I fly towards it, but Rose wants me to stop, pulling at my arm. I tell her that I'll be careful and that she should wait here, keeping a safe distance from the deer.

I hover before its nose and wave carefully, trying to determine if it really can see me. And indeed, it nods and keeps following me wherever I go. To the left...to the right...then back in front. It definitely can see me....but it shouldn't. Or perhaps the pigeon from a while ago simply wasn't intelligent enough to see me? Whatever the reason....this deer CAN see me. That's a fact.

"Hello there. I'm Daisy. Do you need help?"

The deer nods, so it can even understand my words. And it apparently really wants my help.

"Are you perhaps in pain? Do you want healing?"

Again the deer nods. 

"Okay then. Please don't be afraid. I will gently touch you and ask for healing. My friend will stay over there and I promise no one will harm you. Do you understand?"

And yet again, it nods.

I smile and try to reassure it by gently petting its head. Then I prepare to ask for healing. Sure, I can just use the "healing" skill, but I know from the Elves that healing is given to us. So I feel I have to properly ask for healing support.

"May our goddess smile on you and heal you. May you return to perfect health and happiness. So be it.

I see a beautiful glowing golden aura around the deer and both of my hands as well, but it only lasts for a few seconds. I fly back in front of it and want to ask how it feels, but it starts glowing again. A bright, blinding white light radiates through this area. It's as if the sun decided to step down from her place in the sky and pay us a visit.

I quickly retreat to Rose, but instead hit a branch. I feel Rose's hands guide me and she embraces me. 
After a few moments, I can see again.

"Are you alright, Daisy?"

"Yeah, what was that?"  

But Rose doesn't reply, she simply points behind my back. I turn around and see....

 

...that we are no longer in the same forest. There's now a meadow in front of us, all covered in snow. We're still sitting in a tree, but the forest now seems to be behind us. Mountains with snowy peaks are barely visible in the distance. The sun is setting in this winter wonderland and dark clouds above us release fresh snow. The forest is quiet, just like I remember from Earth when it snows. And the smell....it's so....peaceful, I guess? A sparrow lands near us and then flies away again. Is this...Earth?

A gentle breeze blows a bit of the top layer of snow away, making it seem like dust. A ray of sunlight makes the frosty area sparkle with billions of little lights. This place is....I don't know...it feels like home to me! It almost calls out to me.

I see Rose staring at me, and I understand why. I'm now somehow wearing a very comfortable, warm, white winter coat. White, furry snow boots and warm mittens as well. What's going on here?

Now it's my turn to stare at Rose. She's wearing a beautiful green summer dress and brown sandals, but she's not impacted by the cold. "Rose, are you okay? Aren't you freezing?"

"I know what you mean, but no, I actually feel very comfortable. Not too warm, not too cold, just....right I guess?"

"Where do you think we are? It looks like Earth, but I'm not really sure."

"I don't know. But it seems we are all alone here. It's peaceful at least. Do you think....hey! Where are you going?" Rose follows me when I suddenly take off.

I don't reply and simply land on some snow, which is gently resting on the meadow's grass. I jump and run through the snow, not being able to stop. I'm having so much fun, nobody could stop me. 
And at one point I let myself fall over backwards and start making a snow angel by moving my limbs until I'm satisfied.

Rose lands next to me and carefully asks "Daisy? Are...you....alright?"

"Yes, I'm happy, Rose! This feels sooooo good! Like a holiday. I can't explain it! It's like this is my....true home. I don't know how else to explain this. This place is so beautiful!"

But before she can reply to anything, I fly to an area where lots of snow is ready to be molded into something...fun. I thought about sending a snowball to her, but nah...she's my best friend. 
She might have misunderstood, so I started making a snowman instead. "Hey, Rose! Come and help me!"

Rose tilts her head and probably thinks that I have lost it all together now. She simply doesn't understand, so instead of a big snowman, I make a little one. It's the thought that counts, right?

"Eh...Daisy...what's that supposed to be?"

"That's Frosty! He's a snowman!" I sing a few lines from the well known Christmas song "Frosty the Snowman...." until Rose interrupts me.

"Hey! How can you abuse our National Anthem just like that?"

That made me stop dead in my tracks, no longer smiling. "Huh? I'm not? I just remember this as an innocent Christmas song!"

"No....that's our National Anthem. My goddess, what have they done to you?"

She then embraces me until I say "it's alright, Rose. I'll be fine. As long as you'll be my friend to guide me."

"Awwww.....would you look at that? True friendship is a rare gift best shared."

 

We both release the embrace and are stunned to see a beautiful lady, dressed in a white winter coat, similar to mine. She's not much taller than us and is wearing blue flowers in her golden hair. She smiles at us like a mother at her newborn child...so...angelic. So peaceful...I instinctively know that this woman is not even remotely connected to anything demonic. Quite the opposite, it's hard to see against the snow around us, but she has a gentle golden aura all around her.

She walks over to me but stops when she sees me ready to make a run for it....just in case. Somehow I felt the need to be prepared. Even though I trust her, the need to survive is getting stronger in me since we were attacked by that demon.

"Do not fear, my little ones. I am Ahena, a goddess. Let me return the favor."
She points at us, and my little headache from the collision a few moments ago vanishes instantly.

"Thank you....eh...goddess." I bow to her, just like Rose did a second ago. I guess politeness is in order.

"No, my little one. It is I who should thank you. For you have set me free. Come to me, please, don't fear me."

I look at Rose who nods and she decides to follow me.

"Thank you for showing such respect, Daisy and Rose."

"You....you know of us?" Rose asks, still cautious being near this goddess.

"Of course my loved ones. I am the goddess who watched over your ancestors, so long ago."

"So......are you a goddess of the fairies then? Sorry if that sounds...inappropriate." I just had to ask.

"Don't worry, dear, and yes you are right. I am the Guardian of the Fairies. Or goddess as your kind calls us these days. And I see you have already met my sister. How wonderful."

"Eh...okay...? May I ask why you were.....looking like a deer?" Rose asks.

"But of course. You see...your ancestors were forced to follow the Demon Lord or they would have been wiped out by him. Considering how small you are, compared to other races, they didn't have much of a choice. But still, they should have asked for my guidance, but alas they didn't.
And for that....both your people and I were punished.

My punishment would be over until a blessed demonic fairy would take pity on me. There were days when I thought that there could never be a blessed demonic fairy. Ever. But here I am, healed and reinstated as a goddess. For that I'm most grateful.

Now, as a little reward for your kindness, Daisy,...let me tell you that I know of your memories. You still believe you are from Earth, but let me tell you the truth, and nothing but the truth. This world really exists. Earth however only existed in false memories, created to break your mind in order to prepare it for captivity. But you have prevailed.

You, my beloved Daisy, are of this world. You truly are Daisy. Your friend is truly your best friend.
You truly are a Princess. But your prior memories of this world...are gone forever. It would break your soul, your mind, if I were to restore them. You simply wouldn't be able to survive.

For this, my little one, I ask your forgiveness. But your suffering has led to my salvation."

I can't stop a tear from falling, her words touched me...deep. "There is nothing to forgive. You did nothing harmful to me."

"Thank you. Both of you. Know this...you both may contact me at any time. This and the blessing you shall receive are my rewards for your kindness. Come visit me whenever you like, just...think of me before you go to sleep."

 

FLASH

 

We are again blinded by a bright light, and after blinking a few times we see what's going on. The Elven goddess is standing next to her sister.

"Ahena, finally you are free!"

"Yes, Tholena, my sister, I have missed you soo much!" 

Then, something happened that you'll probably never see again...we saw two goddesses embrace each other like long lost sisters reunited once more.

Goddess Tholena then looks at us. "My friends, it is good to see you. Glad to see you're doing so well, and thank you for freeing my sister. And...Daisy?...Do you like this place? Just think about it....this is your natural environment as a snow fairy. Anyway, it is now time for you both to leave this place and enjoy your blessing. Until we meet again, my friends!"

 

FLASH

 

We blink a few times and then realize that we're back in the forest where we healed the deer. Was that simply a dream? Our clothes are back to normal too.

"Daisy? Is that you?" A surprised Rose exclaimed.

"Yeah....and....oh? Just look at you....what....how?"

Rose touches her new fluffy tail for a moment, trying to determine if it was real or not. 
"I think this is the blessing the goddess spoke of! Check your status! We're not demonic anymore!"

And she was very right. According to our status screens, we are now Northern Fairies (blessed).
There really is not a single demonic reference anywhere! Not even a "dark skill." I guess we are now really true faires, the way we were supposed to be. Like before our people were cursed for following the Demon Lord.

Rose now has fluffy ears on top of her head and a long, fluffy tail as well. She appears to be related to the wolf-kin.

I immediately touch my head and feel the same! And I have a fluffy tail as well! But according to Rose, my hair, tail and ears are all furry or fluffy and as white as snow. I'm related to the fox-kin, an arctic fox. This reminds me of kitsune in those Earth stories!

 

Rose and I excitedly discuss what has happened and compare our new skills while retracing our path back to the Elven village. I can't wait to see their faces when we say that we have met yet another goddess!

16