49. The care and feeding of vampire Ninjas
31 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Paul stood extremely still, well aware that the blade pressed against his throat could probably slice him open down to the bone without much effort. He raised an eyebrow, directing a sardonic look at Nōnēmu. She backed the blade off from his neck, although didn’t go so far as to sheath it.

“Really? What happened to protect and obey?”

“Sorry… you could’ve been a hunter.”

“And what part of ‘It’s me.’ did you not understand? Also, since when do hunters knock?”

Nōnēmu sighed, and hung her head.

“I apologise. I..I’m having a bad day...”

Paul nodded, putting the shopping bags down on the hotel room bed, and turned back to the shame-faced woman.

“Yeah… I can see that. I don’t know if aloe will help but I got some. Let me see your face.”

Nōnēmu silently obliged, tilting her head slightly to allow Paul to unwrap the bandages covering the upper right quarter of her face. From her cheek-bones up to her hairline it looked like someone had lightly run a blow-torch over her. Her eye on that side was milky-white and filmed over and weeping… which was an improvement over last night when the flesh had been blackened and bone showing through in places around an empty socket.

Paul tsk’ed and shook his head.

“You know, mentioning that your kind of vampire reacts badly to sunlight might have been a good idea at some point.”

“Well, I didn’t know we were going to end up time travelling to the middle of the day after tomorrow, otherwise I would’ve. I thought there was plenty of time to explain since it wasn’t even midnight when we left...”

“Never mind, water under the bridge I suppose. How’s Inari? Any change while I was shopping?”

“No, still asleep. Any idea how long she’ll be out?”

Paul shook his head, as he carefully applied aloe gel to what was basically the world’s worst sun-burn.

“No… she implied it could be awhile, so I guess we shouldn’t plan on moving anytime soon. Hopefully I’ve covered our tracks enough that we won’t show up on whatever the hunters are using to look for us.”

When the trio had stepped out through the torii gate at the Arayayama shrine at Okumiya, which was the third ‘station’ on the path to Mt Fuji, it had been late afternoon, an hour before sunset, two days after the concert... thanks to a wrinkle in the flow of time while on the Gods’ Road.

Paul had to convince a tourist party that they hadn’t seen three people materialise out of nowhere, one of whom promptly screamed in pain and started smoking, while the other dropped unconscious.

While Paul was applying a fresh gauze bandage over the burns Nōnēmu asked quietly.

“How did you do it?”

“Mm, how’d I do what?”

“How did you get those people to believe they didn’t see what they saw?”

“Oh, that. It’s not that hard actually. They didn’t want to believe what they saw was true.”

“But.. they saw it.. how could they not?”

“Ok, I guess you’re different. I’d imagine your training involves observational skills and so on, right?”

“Of course.”

“So, you’re trained to see what’s really there and act accordingly. However, most people try to make sense of the world by having an internal narrative, a model of how the world works. When faced with something that flatly contradicts that, most people will reject what they see in favour of their internal narrative. So, hand them an explanation that fits that, and they’ll believe you. Like, telling them we’d hiked up the mountain trail, rather than took the bus with them… and the fact your face was blistering and smoking was the result of an accident with bug spray and a lit cigarette.”

“You lie very well.”

“I’m an author, I tell stories professionally. It’s kind of the same thing.”

“And the fact you habitually travel with a medical kit, a change of clothing, money and a fake passport is also because you’re an author?”

“You forgot the burner phone and survival kit… and no. That’s because I wasn’t always an author. Some parts of the world, being able to scram at a moments notice is just plain good common sense.”

“Japan isn’t one of those places.”

“Earthquakes. Tsunami’s.”

“Alright, isn’t usually one of those places. But I suppose it’s a habit, yes?”

“Yeah, and as I think I just proved, you can’t tell when you’ll need it, so it’s better to be prepared even if you don’t think you need to be.”

Nōnēmu hrumphed as Paul pinned the last bandage in place.

“I would wish all the people I was protecting were like you. It would make my life easier.”

“I dare say… Nōnēmu, how long is this going to take to heal?”

“Two or three more nights, the scars will fade in a week or two.”

“I see… umm… forgive me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t that go quicker if you fed?”

Nonemu nodded but didn’t say anything. Paul sighed… physically, she looked to be around twenty five maybe at most thirty.. but for all he knew she could be four hundred or more. He was beginning to be a bit tired of being out of his depth.

“Hey, Nonemu, you’re going to have to explain things to me. I mean, it’s not like you come with a user manual. I can’t just look up a ‘care and feeding of your ninja vampire’ on the internet, I mean, imagine what I’d find… actually, no don’t.”

Nonemu snorted a bit, like she was trying to hold in a laugh, even though her stoic expression didn’t change.

“Oh c’mon, that was funny. Do I have to try and find your ticklish spot or something?”

“Don’t have one.”

“Bet you do.”

“Don’t… please...”

“Don’t what, tickle you?”

“That too, but... don’t treat me like I’m just... normal. I’m not. I am Shinobi. I am the Crimson Way, I am the Emperor’s left hand. I don’t.. can’t.. do normal.”

“Would it be so terrible if you just.. unclenched. Just for a minute?”

Nonemu nodded.

“Yes, yes it would. I am alone, without my handler. I dare not relax my self-control or the hunger will consume me and I would paint the walls red with innocent blood.”

Paul studied her for a moment, then sighed.

“Ok.. I get it. Although it would’ve been easier if you’d just told me rather than needing to trick the answers out of you.”

“Huh? What??”

“You don’t want to feed, because normally you have a handler, I presume someone human, to control your vampiric nature. Without them you are worried that you will loose control and be overcome by blood-thirst. Am I right?”

“Ah.. yes..”

“Hm, also.. you’ve been told repeatedly that you are NOT human any more and that your life is now one of duty and strict adherence to The Way, that you are alive... sorry, undead, so you can serve the Emperor and that you can have no other life outside of duty.”

“Ehhhh!!! How can you know that?! It’s like you’ve been listening into the commander’s lectures! You seem human… but… are you a seer?”

Paul sighed.

“Remember what I said about internal narratives? Well, I’m just really good at working out what people’s are. That, and yours isn’t very original. It’s like.. how to install fanatical blind loyalty for dummies. I’ve seen it before in a dozen different hellholes around the world. The words change, the method doesn’t.”

“Oh…. so.. but it’s true. Without our handlers, we’re dangerous.”

“Well, yeah. If you’ve never had to control yourselves, how are you ever going to learn self-control? It’s a self-re-enforcing cycle.”

“But… how can we learn to control the hunger, when the slightest slip will get people killed?”

“How can you learn, if you never try?”

“The Way doesn’t get people killed.”

“True, doesn’t mean they get to live either.”

“I’m undead, not alive...you know.”

“Also means, not dead. As in, has a life. Which you’re currently doing a piss-poor job of living by the way. Even the samurai of old took the day off now and again, you know.”

Nonemu growled under her breath, saying something unintelligible, but probably not complimentary.

“Why...are.. you... goading me!”

Paul grinned slightly lopsided.

“Ah, you noticed that. Two reasons, I want to see if I can actually provoke you into attacking.”

“Are you crazy?!”

“Maybe, just a little… second reason, I want to see if you can actually control yourself.”

“Isn’t that the same thing?”

“Not quite… but since you’ve answered my questions, I now have a theory to test.”

Paul swept his right leg in a semi-circle, knocking Nonemu’s legs out from under her, so she toppled backwards on the bed. Before she could move he placed his hand on her chest, over her sternum. And just.. stopped.

She tried to rise… and failed. He could feel her struggling, but there was no strength to her movements. Paul pinned her for moment, then took a step back. Carefully she sat up on the edge of the bed, her back bent, slumped, with her face hidden by her short bangs.

“So… now you know. But you knew I was weak already, didn’t you?”

“Suspected. Your hand was trembling very faintly when you held your tanto blade against my neck, and if you truly thought I was a hunter then there was no tactical reason not to strike at full strength and behead me. Thus, the logical conclusion was either you doubted your conclusion at some level.. or you lacked the strength.”

Nonemu flopped backward across the bed.

“You’re too good. So, now you know the depth of my failure. I can’t protect you or Inari Okami. Being in the sun has weakened me.”

“Ah. so... would night time mean you’re stronger?.”

“A little, we’re always stronger at night, but not enough to make a difference at present.”

“Hm… I presume feeding would restore your vigour?”

“Yes, definitely. But I can’t.”

Paul shook his head.

“Not true. You’ve been told you can’t until you believe it, but answer me this. Suppose I over-powered you, cut myself, and forced you to drink my blood. Could you stop me?”

“Whaa… why would you even do that?! I could hurt you..”

“Oh for pete’s sake! Look, a kitten could beat you up right now! So how the hell are you a threat?!”

Judging by her thunderstruck expression, Paul had finally managed to drive the point home. He sighed.

“I mean, yes, you would get stronger as you fed, right? But that doesn’t happen immediately does it? And if you did, that’s what restraints are for… and one of the things in the bottom of those bags is some tow rope with a five ton breaking strain.”

“You planning on tying me up!?”

“If I have to. I’m only an amateur at Shibari, but I do know how to make sure someone can’t get free.”

“I..I…. I’m not doing that!”

Paul was surprised to learn that apparently vampires can blush.

“Not that sort of vampire then? Strictly a blood drinker and not anything else.”

Nonemu’s cheeks were going a faint rose petal pink… which he suspected was probably the equivalent of a flaming traffic light red in anyone else.

“Holmes-san! I’m not a pervert!!”

“Oh relax, I’m not one either.”

“Then why are you talking about tying me up and.. and.. forcing me..too..”

“Drink my blood? Because as you pointed out, as you are, you’re unable to perform your duties. So looking at it logically, you have to. And since you won’t, or can’t, explain, I’m trying to figure out how to do it safely. That’s all.”

“But.. you… what were you suggesting?”

“I assume the blood is to form a connection so you can drain living energy. So, I wondered if it could be done without the blood… why, what did you think I was suggesting?”

“I’d rather not say!”

“Huh.. Ohhhh…. I see. You thought I was wondering if you were one of those sorts of vampires.”

Paul waggled his eyebrows suggestively, grinning at her.

Nonemu grabbed a pillow and pulled it over her head.

“Stop it! Stop reading my mind!”

Paul threw his head back and laughed.

“You know I can’t do that, right?”

Nonemu emerged from under the pillow, curling up cat like, glaring at Paul balefully out of her one good eye.

“It certainly seems like you can.”

“You know you’re not acting very stoic and dignified now? The aloe working?”

There was longish pause, then in a much quieter, although still somewhat sulky, voice Nonemu replied.

“Yes…. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. So… feeding. I would understand if the idea of being tied up, when you’re already hurt and feeling vulnerable, would be more than you can stand. Frankly, it kind of squicks me out a bit too. Not really into those games myself, and if you’d seen some of the things I have, you’d know why.”

Nonemu raised her head, frowning at him.

“Things you’ve seen?”

“Ah.. yes. I’ve been around a bit. I have a knack for getting into and out of places, travelling. So… I’ve occasionally made a living as a smuggler. People out, food and medicine in, as I said before. Also people talk to me, and I figure stuff out so.. well, you know that. But very bad things happen in war zones and the like, which I’ve seen the results of... rather more than I wanted to actually.”

Nonemu stared at him for a moment, then sighed and buried her head in the blanket.

“I… I’ve never left Japan before. This is the closest I’ve been to being in combat. I can’t even imagine...”

“Oh? Huh. I suppose that figures. Imperial protection duty would mean that you, and the Emperor, are probably as far away as it’s possible to get from wherever the action is.”

“Mhm… all of the others have fought before, when they were alive. All except me. I.. I’m the youngest. I’ve been a vampire barely thirty years. I don’t know why the commander chose me. It doesn’t make sense.”

“Doesn’t it? Ok, think of the oldest one of your group. Now, how well do you think they’d do in modern life? Could they fake being normal? Would they even know how to use a cell phone for example.”

“Oh! Oh… I see… he chose me, because I could blend in! Ohhhh.. the commander is truly wise!”

“He’s a smart one, yes. Which must mean, he also trusts you to work out how to survive and carry out your mission. You’re the youngest, least bound by habit. I presume he selected you for that reason. After all, it’s a novel situation, requiring novel solutions. Not rigid adherence to the rules.”

“Oh… Alright! Let’s do this!”

Paul smiled slightly.

“Ok, that’s the spirit. Question, do you want to try this with, or without the rope?”

Nonemu bit her lip, uncertainty making her look a lot younger.

“Um.. with. To be safe. After a meal I should regain my full strength inside of an hour. If… if prior experience is a guide. I should regain my sanity before than.”

“Wait... prior experience?”

“Um...yes. Part of our training, we have to know what it feels like.. to be starved, injured and out of control. So we know the signs of it...also so our handlers know how to control us.”

Paul closed his eyes, massaging the centre of his forehead.

“You do know that sounds a lot like systematic abuse, right? Both physical and psychological, as in the sort of thing they do to people in order to brain-wash them...”

“Um..when you put it that way it sounds bad. It’s part of the traditional training, handed down and honed over centuries...and it works.”

“Yeah, so does brain-washing, and some religions have been doing that for centuries too. Doesn’t mean it’s right.”

“Uhh… can we.. just get this over with, before you dismantle everything I believe in?”

Paul shook his head.

“Yeah, sorry. You’re right. One thing at a time. Although when we have some time, there are some things you really need to read.”

“I volunteered to become what I am. It was an honour just to be selected as a candidate.”

“And that’s the only reason we’re not turning round right now and storming the Palace so I can have words with the Emperor.”

“You can’t do that!”

“That’s a very dangerous thing to say to me. I have a habit of saying or doing exactly what people say I can’t. And right now, I am very, very pissed off with someone I thought was a bit more enlightened.”

Paul turned, and found Nonemu sitting up on the bed, her worried looking face quite close to his.

“Promise you won’t do that!”

“Nonemu..”

“No, promise! Otherwise I am honour bound to stop you!”

“What? Oh.. no.. I literally meant having words with him… not...whatever you thought I meant. He is a friend, I think.. he’s a useful ally anyway. And for all I know, he doesn’t even know how you’re trained.”

Nonemu blinked, then looked thoughtful.

“Ohh.. you know… you might be right. I’m not sure he does. It is a closely guarded secret.”

“Ok then. Now, shall we proceed?”

“Ok, yes..”

A short while later Paul took a step back and looked at Nonemu, considering.

“I think that’ll do… how is it?”

“Not too bad, unless I try to move.”

“Yeah… I really hope no-one comes in right now. I mean, I’ve got a girl passed out cold on one bed, and another trussed up like a Christmas turkey on the other… I’m not sure even I could adequately explain all this.”

Nonemu laughed, and then winced.

“Ow.. ow.. please don’t make me laugh, my whole face hurts.”

“Sorry… ok, how much blood do you need?”

“Not much, a mouthful, no more. It’s really only to establish a connection. Or so I’m told. You’ll be tired after this, like you’ve been awake all night and all day.”

“Right, so untie you as soon as you’ve fed. Then you can guard Inari and me as I sleep, right?”

“Yes, but only if I remain in control… if not then… then you will have to bring me out of it.”

Paul paused, frowning.

“Okayyy…. As much as I hate this I suppose I have to acknowledge the possibility. How do I do that?”

“Normally, by feeding me until my blood thirst is sated...but that would kill you.”

“Oh… what about animal blood?”

“Wouldn’t work, nor does bottled.”

Paul considered… then looked at the bags.

“I’ve an idea, but I’m not sure if it would work… blood is basically just the carrier medium for ‘living energy’ which I think is another term for what I’ve been calling mana. I know water with iron suspended in it means it will take a mana charge. So… if I charge up some of my blood, say about 10cc of that and give it to you as a straight shot to the heart, it should act like an adrenaline injection, I think...”

“Straight shot to the heart?”

“Syringe, big needle, inject it directly into your heart.”

“Ow! Where would get something like that.. and why?”

Paul shrugged.

“Farm supply store, got some funny looks though. Not the same place I bought the rope, because then I really would get some odd looks and maybe an interview with the local police. And because I’d already figured out you had a problem, so my contingency plan in case you flat refused to feed was a transfusion. Anyway, will that work do you think?”

Nonemu went to nod, and stop as she remembered that she was tied up.

“Yes, that should work I think. I’m not sure what it would do to me… but the shock alone might make me snap out of it. At the very least, it won’t kill me.”

Paul nodded, and rolling up his sleeve got out the first aid kit, some sterile wipes and a scalpel. Nonemu’s eyes widened slightly as she saw the scar running up the inside of Paul’s wrist, over where the veins were.

“Is.. is that…?”

“Yeah, I have a matching one on the other wrist. I was in pretty bad shape mentally speaking when I was younger. I almost didn’t make it out alive. Ok.. you ready?”

“No… but do it anyway.”

Paul swabbed an area of the web of skin between finger and thumb, near the base of his thumb and the big vein there. The taking the scalpel, made a short, deep, cut. Immediately blood began to well up, but Paul dropped the scalpel on the bedside table and gripped his hand, cutting off the flow.

“Ok, open wide...”

Nonemu glared at him, but opened her mouth. Paul held his hand a scant few fractions of an inch above, and let go. Blood flowed freely, trickling down into her open mouth. Nonemu swallowed.. and tried to raise her head towards him. Paul, mindful of her fangs, used his free hand to lift her head, and Nonemu latched on. The pupil of her good eye expanded until it seemed to be a bottomless pool of blood, the reflective layer at the back of her retina throwing the light in the curtained room back at him.

She strained against her bonds, fighting to be free. Paul talked to her, uncertain if she could hear him.

“C’mon girl… fight it. Hold on to who you are, your sense of duty, of honour. You are more than just your nature, more than a bundle of instincts and reflexes. You can do it.”

He tried to lift his hand away, and found that he couldn’t. Nonemu’s fangs had punctured his skin, embedding in the muscles of his hand, and he hadn’t even felt it. Just for a second he almost panicked...then took a deep breath, and lowering her head, freed his other hand. With that, he pressed his middle finger against his thumb momentarily… and flicked her nose, hard.

Startled more than hurt, Nonemu opened her mouth, and Paul jerked his hand free, gripping his wrist. Nonemu hissed at him, her expression mindless and feral. Paul sighed.

Ok, she’d fed, now he had to bring her out of it before she regained her strength. The ropes would probably hold but why risk it?

It took a bit of juggling, but he got the bleeding from his hand staunched, and managed to catch about a cupful of it. Digging out one of the spare small mana batteries, he used the file on his pocket knife to shave a small pile of iron fillings off that into the blood. Dropping the penny sized pendant into the big horse syringe, he drew up about twenty cc of fresh blood which he hoped was now charged with mana, and attached the sterile 8 gauge needle to it.

Standing over Nonemu, Paul realised he’d made a mistake… her clothing was in the way. The med-kit included a set of paramedic’s scissors, which he used to cut away enough to make an opening, although he had to sever the webbing holding the ballistic vest under her top, and then shove that around to move it out of the way.

Finally, he cleared a patch of skin above her heart, and not before time as she was being to strain against the ropes, and move around despite the restraints. Paul wasn’t sure if the ropes or the metal bed frame would give first.

Trying to hold her still, he plunged the big needle into her chest, to the distance from the tip of his forefinger to the base of his thumb. He could feel the sudden jerk of resistance as it hit the heart wall, and then penetrated.

Nonemu tried to scream, drawing in a breath as the needle plunged though her flesh… and then froze as it slid into her heart…

Paul used his free hand to press down the syringe, filling her heart with super-charged blood, and as soon as it bottomed out, he pulled the needle out.

For a moment, Nonemu lay there.. apparently lifeless.. just long enough for Paul to wonder if he hadn’t seriously screwed up.

Then she gasped, coughing...her face flushing with colour… and she swore...

1