Ch-26: The path forward
64 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We waited for Madhuri’s mother to return. I genuinely hoped she would come. However, the longer we waited, the anxious I grew. It was difficult to ignore the voice in my head telling me to just be on the way, I had waited enough. Every time the voice rose I felt myself wavering. It was Greed, and it laughed at my indecisiveness.

I wasn’t the only one growing impatient. Barry and Bella were both done with waiting, too.
How long do we have to wait? One of the two asked. I was too engrossed in my thoughts regarding Greed and the consequence to pay attention.
I looked up and started thinking out loud. I wasn’t answering the question, but it had indeed steered my thoughts. She usually comes back from the hunt around this time to feed her chicks. Doesn’t she Madhuri?
She gave me a meaningless chirp just because I was paying her attention. She was too pure of the world.

Do we really have to do this? I perfectly caught that. Bella was done waiting.
I don’t know. I told her. I really didn’t. Would I leave Madhuri alone on the off chance that her mother was stuck somewhere? It was a difficult thought to process. I could leave her. She had demonstrated intelligence. She knew when I wanted her to stay and she had obeyed multiple times. The problem was that she’d go ahead and wait without moving, much like she was used to waiting in the nest for her mother to return with food. Only her circumstances had changed; inside, she was still the same chick.

We waited till noon, and then threatened by Bella to get moving I decided that we had waited enough.   We climbed onto Madhuri’s back and she flew, all too happy to leave. She seemed aware of her surroundings but didn’t show any care to the nest. Rising higher, she encircled the tree once, and then we were on our way, following Bella’s instructions as she led us deeper into the forest.

Barry insisted on leading. He was enamored by the idea of teaching Madhuri’s to fly. And this time even Bella couldn’t simply stare him down. They fought and then he stopped moving. I know what happened, but I don’t want to think about it. Some things are better left in the dark.

The good news was that Bella knew exactly where she wanted to take us. The bad news was that she wouldn’t tell us what to expect.

Madhuri was already much better at flying. Even Barry admitted it. She was a genius flyer.
For a bird, he commented from where Bella had hidden him underneath the feathers.

His paralysis had worn off a long while ago, but he refused to come out of his hiding space. Bella had apologized already, but he was playing deaf to her. I understood his feelings. The feathery encompass was too warm and cozy to simply leave.

Madhuri still moved like a physical ripple passing through the world, rising and falling as she surpassed her limits over and over again. She had learned to glide and only beat her wings to reach a peak height from where she could glide into a curve. Those were Bella’s thoughts; I had no idea what she said. For me flying meant traveling through the air, unobstructed by the obstacles that littered the shaded land.

Bella brought us to a small mound clear of all grass or greenery. There was but a green pod of fresh leaves pinned to the ground with such force that even playful gusts of wind weren’t able to move it. Someone had purposefully created it, for there was no such creation in nature.

What are we doing here? I asked Bella with all seriousness I could muster and she asked me to wait. This time I was done waiting. I was about to pick up a fight with her when Barry came out of the feathers behind me and pulled me back.
He shook his head. You don’t want to do that. He could see that I wasn’t satisfied. Give her a chance. She’s not the type to scheme against others.

Meanwhile, Bella had jumped off and was fast approaching the pod. We wouldn’t have known had she not blasted her wings to create a short burst of sound to break her speed of descent.
The pod attracted me for various reasons. How nice would it be for one to have that while on the journey to a faraway place? A place of protection, of rest; I could already see its importance on a journey to a far away.

We anxiously waited for her return, and finally, Bella came out of the pod, leading a bunch of small creatures behind —they were ants.

They looked like me but without the red dot that identified me as an ember ant. Their erect antennae were a good enough identification, however. They were smaller than me; their workers barely reaching my chest and soldier only half a head taller.

Bella gestured us to get down, but I hesitated. A bird in the air was already considered a bad omen among many ant colonies, but having one land directly at the doorsteps, even tamed, would be considered the greatest disrespect to the hosts.

The ants might even attack Madhuri out of fear. And I didn’t want that. So I tried to steer her away from the pod, but Madhuri decided against me.
She saw something move in the grass a few ant lengths from the camp and dropped to the ground like lightning. She had squelched a grasshopper and was quick to bite and swallow it down. Did that help? The ants showed disbelief.

I got off and started walking toward the group. I could have told Madhuri to stay, but there was no panic rising or alarm ringing. Actually, they were too bare of pheromones. Even the site seemed to have been meticulously scrubbed of all traces. But why go to such extents? What was the point? If camouflage was their reason, then they had already failed by choosing this bare top of the mound, where everyone and their dead relatives could easily find them.

They were also far too quiet. The soldiers I knew would have been whispering and panicking simply from the sight of a wasp, but they were following Bella as if she represented them no threat! It was all a bit too unnerving. The pod had contained all of their numbers. There were barely thirty of them.

Their small numbers could have been a simple portrayal of weakness. There could be more of them hiding nearby. They were simply too suspicious. A group of mere thirty ants had no work being out in the open.

Bella must know something; she wouldn’t have brought us to them otherwise. They must be special in some way to have caught her attention. I thought and decided to believe in her.

They stopped at a distance and Bella happily returned to our side.

Aren’t they just suspicious? That was the first thing she said after returning. I turned toward Barry and he was just as puzzled as me. Not very confidence-inducing, I should say.
She must have felt like an explanation was needed, for she continued in much the same manner despite the cold response.
There’s most likely something wrong with them. They literally don’t behave like ants, like anything as a matter of fact. What she said was the truth.  They were simply staring at us as if they all could see. But there was only one royal male among them.
But they are pretty useful. They are the ones who told me about the beetle for the price for a price of course.
What did they ask?
They asked me to deposit an egg in one of them.

What? Barry couldn’t believe it.
I couldn’t either.
Even I wasn’t sure I had sensed right. Bella agreed with us. I thought they didn’t want me to do it at first, but no, I had heard the truth. They watched me while I deposited an egg inside one of them and it was a very shameful experience, I’ll admit —much like how it felt exchanging honey with you while he watched.

Oh, OH! That was very, Barry looked between me and the group behind, and his abdomen started quivering in excitement. Do you want to do it again, while everyone watches?

Shading hell, stop you two. Can we get back to the topic, jeez?

You can be a mood blocker sometimes, you know. Anyways, they might know how to get to the 47th city of yours. That got my attention, and much like Barry I also started quivering. Bella continued. Be wary though, they will try to wear you down with their words. Make sure that you keep calm.

 I nodded.

Your is a very fascinating group. The scent rose from the group. Never thought the day would come when we would see an ant, a hornet and a wasp together, and riding a sky predator.

See? I told Barry. I was not joking when I said we call the birds, sky predators!
That’s pretty embarrassing if you ask me. But sure, you have my apologies for only considering you a backwater loony.
What’s that about?
Bella asked and Barry told her about how we met and the back-story.

These two had too much influence over me. I was slowly growing to be become like them, uncaring outwardly and a mess inside. Confidence was a great quality to have, but losing vigilance wasn’t something mere ants like me could afford. Hence, I put my attention back on the group.

What brings you back, Bella-wan-dire? How did you like the beetle? Would you like another recommendation? We promise the price will be fair as last time. One of the campers scented in a plain tone of chemical with no bite or emotion. How was that possible? How could someone control a detail so fine, while I couldn’t even get my thoughts to stay in my head?

A caterpillar for a beetle; I would say it was fair had you caught the beetle for me.

We delve in information, not hunting, Bella-Wan-Dire. Another camper scented in much the same way. She was sleeping until just a few moments ago, made the comment, and went back to sleep again.
Another sired in her place and picked up the conversation where the old one had left. We’ll give you a discount next time since you brought us a customer.

What are they doing? I whispered as softly as I could, which was pointless out of me. Why are they taking turns? How does that even work?
I haven’t the slightest idea.
Bella answered, and then Barry picked up the conversation, mimicking our hosts. Aren’t you all like that? He scented.
Very funny,

Oh, an ember —what are you doing so far from home. How did you even get here?
I’m trying to get home.
And what’s stopping you?
I have to get to the 47th city of the Embers heavenly kingdom, the Door-Darshan-Ji? But I don’t know where it is.
They didn’t give an answer right away, which was a good sign. I couldn’t have accepted it any other way.
Back in my city, only the explorers knew how to get there. The question was, how would we know if they were lying? I believed it would be alright unless they wanted to perform an internal connection in return for the directions. Then we would have a problem. But the system decided otherwise. My line of thoughts bore me a skill.


Yeah, don’t just believe anyone. That’s just going to put you in a very tough spot someday. Be vigilant, always look out for clues, and investigate.
You have acquired a new skill: Investigate.


[Investigate][Lv-1/10][Tier-1][Active]
[Every investigator worth two scents knows that anyone and everyone can and would lie if the situation arises.]
[Effect: Tool: Lie detection is available.]
[Lie detection: sieve truths from lies.]
[Cost: 1 END/second.]


The campers were stirring again. I hurriedly activated the tool before they could make a claim. The system had thrown me a lifeline, and I made it a priority to catch it.

I stood a bit straighter when they made the claim: We know the way.
Lie detections aid it was the truth. I pressed once again.

Do you really know the way, or are you lying?

We don’t lie. It was again the truth. Satisfied with the result, I hurriedly deactivated the skill. That was 5 points of endurance gone into the wind. I only had 15 points in total. The price was too steep. I didn’t know how useful it would get in the future, but for now, this was all the limelight it was getting.

Bella-wan, I dropped it. Bella told me there is a price for the information. Do you want another caterpillar? I was really thinking of salvaging the one that Madhuri had eaten.
No.
Another among the campers stirred and scented. We want to know about you. Someone who is friends with a hornet and a wasp and a sky predator must have a very entertaining story, won’t you agree?

It was really difficult to get used to their way of conversing. Someone needed to have a long talk with them about customer service, because they stank at it like a pile of rotting bodies.

My two giant friends also stirred at the proposal.  I hadn’t told them my story, yet, so they were more than interested in knowing why I was on this mission of mine. So I started retelling my life story, removing the detail about the system. The campers stopped me when I was telling them that my city was now at war with the termites and the soldiers had traveled far west to confront them.

That’s excellent news. One of them announced to my confusion.

How many days ago was that?
Two, no three,  
So are you telling me the direction now?
No, we are taking you thee.
Yes?
I was befuddled. We were far from home. How were they expecting too—
Madhuri chirped behind me. She wanted to fly., Of course, they wanted a ride. Who doesn’t want to fly at least once in their life? I agreed.
We are the merchants. It was nice doing business with you.

I didn’t want to share my passport with them and Madhuri wouldn’t let them onto her back anyways. In the end, we decided to have them enter the leaf pod and Madhuri to carry it. There was no other way.

But Madhuri came through, she picked up the pod and we were flying again. This time we flew higher than the tree level and in the sky where the clouds swell and grew without obstruction and everything was blue.

The merchants, as they called themselves, gave instructions. They tried to lead Madhuri, copying me, but it didn’t work for them and they got back to giving m instruction instead.

We crossed the river. I felt the cold wash over me again. It was enlightening that there was such a large body of water, endlessly cutting through the land.
What lies at the end of the river? I asked and Barry responded.
The same thing that lies at the start of it,
Treasure?
I asked to which he shook his head.
Mystery,

Somewhere on the river bank, the 43rd city lied. I wondered if Star was still fighting the frogs or had the soldiers already dealt with them. And what happened to the band of soldiers that had occupied me on the way? Whether they had returned or where they still in the city.

We rested on the river bank, while the merchants took leave.

Stick to the river and go east until you see a large group of rocks. That’s your destination.
What about a tower?
The 47th has no tower.
I was told. In the wilderness, they needed to act inconspicuous. Towers attract unwanted attention.
It wasn’t a lie.

I was haunted by how cold the air around the river was. Madhuri found earthworms nearby and savored a taste. While something with a shell as hard as rock and pincers as large as its body attacked us, causing us to cut our rest short and make a run for it. Our journey had been tiring, but it was passing uneventfully, causing us to grow laid back. But we were vigilant like a crack of thunder in the sky after we took flight this time.

Our short adventure ended when Bella saw the large group of rocks that the merchant talked about. My companions grew excited, I grew nervous, and Madhuri gave a low warning chirp. Suddenly the sky wasn’t as limitless as before; we had company.  Barry let me know that something was approaching us from far.

It’s fast, blindingly so.

It was happening again. The period of peace was the calm before the storm. And the storm had found us.

Madhuri turned tail and made a frantic escape, but she could barely fly, while her chaser had the sky and its current mapped in the back of his mind. I scented Madhuri to dive, but there was a world of difference between his and her ability. We were far too high in the sky; it was a combined result of Madhuri's enthusiasm and our lacking knowledge of the dangers of the sky.

Compared to the dark and humid shade, the sky was open and free, but it was all a trap.
Whatever the case, our situation grew bleak when our host arrived. In a matter of seconds, it grew from a dark brown point in the sky to an object of absolute terror. This time Madhuri was a bud in front of the wildflower in full blossom. A Piercing gaze, sharp wide beak, and a pair of wings large enough to grab the sky; it opened its yellow talons and pounced at Madhuri.

Come here, little fella! The horrifying creature sounded. Where are hurrying so late in the morning?

Bella froze, Barry bit and steered Madhuri away from the clawed talons of death. Madhuri swayed just enough to escape its clutched as the big brown feathery sky giant swooshed past us, but one of its wings caught her directly on the head. The impact drove her out of flight and tumble down the sky, a helpless target. I don’t know how we held onto her, but we did. However, there was no time to be idling. The predator was coming around, gliding a wind current and rising toward us for another round.

This time the hunter didn’t miss a second time and snatched Madhuri right out of the sky. Its claws dug into Madhuri’s flesh and drew blood, dying her white feathers red and causing her to chirp in pain. We couldn’t do anything to stop it from taking hold of her, but that wasn’t the end. We retaliated and showed the big bad bird what it meant to have friends.

You are not alone. I scented even though Madhuri was unconscious. Bella understood the danger better than us and rose from the feathers to sting the hard talons. Barry followed right behind her.  

It burns. It squealed and let her go. It tried a second time and met with the same result; ultimately giving up on what was most likely an easy prey.

However, Madhuri was unconscious and in a free-fall toward a gruesome death. Sting her. I told Bella. She could control her poison. Don’t poison her or egg her please, but sting her. The sharp pain will wake her up. I knew from experience.

She showed concern, but the land was growing closer, and in the end, followed through. We were out of options.
Madhuri woke up with a start.
She had a delayed response, causing the land to grow infinitely more vivid to my eyes. I almost thought we were dead when she finally pulled through. She didn’t fly, didn’t even try to beat her wings. Instead, she spread her wings out wide with a cry. Drop by drop blood seeped from her wound, falling down as glistening pearls of bright red. Gliding was the one thing she had practiced over and over again, and that’s what saved her life.

She shed most of her momentum gliding toward the land, bur crashed nonetheless, sketching a short trail in her wake.
Somehow we had beat the odds and survived against a bigger predator. However, we could celebrate. Madhuri might not be dead, but she was hurt. 

2