87: Break
305 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The decision to take it relatively slow proved to be a boon. I can just barely keep moving all through the night. This will probably cut the weeks off to week. Think of that. This world is huge, and there is a long distance between cities, there are no horses or cars, but I can get from one place to another relatively quickly, even if I have to transport others.

However, my passengers are less enthused.

“I hurt all over my bum, can we take a break?” Yorgar says.

“Me too, and I am feeling anxious from not being able to move” Derby concurs.

Amina doesn’t say anything, but it is clear she is relieved when we come to a stop and she gets to talk around a little.

Yorgar exclaims praise though. “I was kind of skeptical, when you first revealed our relation. However, if you’re this good, I am proud to call you my brother” He says with a big fat smile. There’s a feeling of pride and strength that eminates from my guts as I hear the words.

“You’re more of a monster than a human” Derby says, while doing some stretches. Ouch, that hurt a little.

“How about you Amina? What’s your take?”

“Sir is strong, brutal and inconsiderate.” Huh? When have I ever been inconsiderate? I want to protest the answer, but Yorgar starts a new topic.

“By the way, we should have a cover story?”

“Cover story?” I ask

“Yeah, my clan does not know that I am not human. They think I am an 18-year old man. I am thinking we make our relationship a little official and we can introduce you as, say… My 20-year old brother?” I nod, sounds fine. One thing irks me though. We don’t look alike. In addition, while Yorgar looks much younger than me, I have the feeling he is far more mature.

It makes sense I guess. He has interacted with this world for 300 years, I only for some 16 years… more like 40 if you count my life before the angel kidnapping. Shit, I was relatively okay acting like I kid, but I am already a middle-aged man, aren’t I? Point is, I don’t think I can count the centuries in isolation encased in metal as life experience.

“Derby, we can switch our roles. You can be my mentor, that reunited and joined up, tired of the paper-pushing life”

“Well, it is only half a lie…” Derby mutters.

“And Amina, you can be Yos’ wife!”

“No!” An immediate sound is heard. Ouch, I am taking a lot of damage during this break.

“I will be an unfortunate girl with no parents, whom sir saved. That is pretty close to the truth anyways.”

“Right…” Yorgar also seems to have found the adamant refusal a little awkward.

“By the way, is your clan going to accept us just like that?”

“Ah, don’t worry about that. Before this break was decided, we lost a lot of our guys in a gruesome fight, trying to set a record.”

“Record?” I ask

“Yeah, the hero has pushed for us to get deeper into the dungeons. Some kind of task from god or something. We have only made it to the 26th floor so far, but he keeps pushing us to break it.”

“The hero?” I had heard that term before, but is it related to god? “What is the hero?”

“Where have you been?” He asks inquisitively. Right, I haven’t told him about that. “Ah, not important. Apparently 500 years ago, God started sending these heroes. They are special in that only one exists at a time, and they have like, a super-gift.”

“Super-gift?”

“Yeah, like the one we have now. He calls his gift “Soul Smasher”. His physical attacks can, in addition to being regular attacks, damage the souls with his strikes, which there are no defense from.” Sounds impressive. Wait. Could that kill me? That may be a way to kill me, since gifts should be related to souls in some way, but to find it just after getting the courage to go out into life once more is a little… Ironic? I never know if that term is used correctly.

“He’s also from a different world. Apparently God gifts them a new body and the ability to speak any language, as they descend here” What? From another world? My world, perhaps? I can’t wait to meet him now.

“Anyway, apparently God also gives them a mission, though completing it is optional, apparently. The mission is to reach the bottom of a dungeon, something no one has ever seen, and many even thought didn’t exist. He will apparently receive a reward if he completes the task, though he doesn’t say what it is”

Interesting. What would even motivate one to risk life and limb like that, when they sound as though they are both powerful and revered and could probably life as they please. And he won’t say, is it something immoral?

Wait, doesn’t this actually also qualify me as a hero? Maybe the difference is that I refused to get another chance, and he accepted? I wonder.

“Yos, Yos, come back to us.” I hear Yorgar’s voice.

“Huh?”

“You were completely absorbed in your own thought for a little there. I said, I think we can continue going now.”

“Right.” They board the cart and we aim to continue the trip.

 

4