111: Icy Road
250 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After some time, one of the men return not with water per se, but a whole team drawing a weird cart. It is not open, but essentially a large, flat barrel on wheels. It has a long lever off each end and a large spigot at the middle. They come to a stop, one of the men jumps up to the spigot, 4 others, two for each lever, start pulling and pushing it. A magnificent water beam starts pouring forth.

It reminds one of a primitive fire-truck.

The mob has calmed down and is watching the fire. I better get out of here, I already caused enough trouble. I can easily fade out, since everyone’s attention is on the fire. I think the fire will be contained, but the brothel probably won’t be saved.

I quickly move towards the exit that should lead to Rachimov along the Icy Road. I am not sure whether to feel bad. I protected innocent people today, but I did kill a man because he was besting me with words and manipulating a crowd.

I do think I did the right thing, and the nagging feeling in me is nowhere near killing the innocent guards in that mansion so long ago. This guy was actively trying to cause harm to others. I did the right thing…

As I move along the road, the sides go from the rugged white stone fields to grass, though the color stays mostly the same. The grass is covered in frost. I wonder how it is possible, I always thought it was some water in the air, that froze, but since there is no evaporation in this world, I don’t think water can be in the air. It’s strange, but a beautiful sight. Too bad it is ruined by me freezing my butt off.

It isn’t called the icy road for nothing. I am not one hour out from the city and the cold is biting me, even more so when I run and I can feel the air pressing against me. It robs me off my body heat fast.

I try to compensate with the “heat” basic emission spell, but it takes quite a lot of mana to feel comfortable.

After only three hours, I think I am about to run out, though it really is hard to tell. Luckily I spot something appearing from the fog. A house? I wonder if they will let me stay.

As I come closer, I can tell it is more of an inn than a house. A few carts are parked outside. I open the door.

“Welcome, welcome” A large, rotund man greets me as I enter. His face is cleanly shaven, and almost gives off a shine.

“Are you alone?” He asks, while giving me a confusing look.

“Ah, yes I am”

“A lone traveler along the Icy Road? With no coat or jacket? Hah, how curious. I guess you will want a room and a bite to eat?”

“Ah yes” But I am more curious. “But, excuse me, this is the first time I see an inn outside a city, any special reason for that?”

“Haha, yes of course. A lot of the harder trade routes around have posts like ours, so that trade can easier flow between the large cities, that are otherwise hard to reach. Though that does mean I only have larger bunk rooms to rent out, it will be more expensive for you, haha”

Well, as long as I get warm. As he serves me up some food, he asks for a whole 40 asti for the whole thing, a standard charge apparently, and I inquire a little more about his business.

“I get most things I need to run this place heavily subsidized, to counteract the fact it takes a lot to transport it out here. Of every 3 asti I spend on supplies, I basically get 2 of them covered by sending invoices to the lord of White Flats” Sounds like quite the lucrative deal he has going on.

“The downside is that it gets mighty lonely sometimes. We have times, where we see caravans every day, but right now, we have been seeing one a week at most for some time. It’s not good for the family to have so little contact with others, but in return, I can make a good profit with little work, haha”

“How many of these stations are there alongside Icy road?”

“Erhm, I can never remember if it is six or seven, all I know is that there are only two of us, who operate under the lord of White Flats. The other guy will be another two days down the road”

We chat on like that for some time, while I enjoy his soup. It is thick, hot and very satisfying. In addition, I am drinking some kind of hot alcohol I have never tried it before, but it feels perfect for this kind of weather.

I go to bed feeling quite warm and content.

6