117: Audience
208 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After that Porar shows me various facilities. The barracks are a number of bunk beds, a training hall with dolls and a few outlined circles used for sparring. Lastly, he directs me to the dining hall.

While guiding me through how meals are taken, he speaks about the training “We’ll get you started proper tomorrow. The first step is always to give and receive shallow hits with confidence” The food in the bowl is just a mass of boiled, chopped up meat in a bland, thin soup. Not exactly haute cuisine, but if tastes decently enough.

The large man from earlier today suddenly sits down opposite of us. Porar sighs. “What now, Spetus?”

“Oh, I am simply interested in the boy, wanting to chat a little. How does one so young get so strong? Everyone that has ever stepped up to match me has been far older” A wide grin is plastered on his face as he speaks. The sentence is followed by a sigh from Porar.

“What about you? It is the same for me. It’s the first time I meet someone who took a hit from me without keeling over.” I retort. It’s not exactly true, but if I only consider since I broke free from the seal and had this massive power, it is.

He laughs. “You ain’t ever fought a proper warrior then! Don’t get me wrong, that thing smarts, but most of those who have tempered their bodies will need at least a couple of those!”

“So what kind of gift have you got? A strength-one? An activated one? Or one that promotes growth?” He is guessing fiercely. I don’t think he is expecting an answer, but might as well.

“A sel-“ As I was about to name it, an elbow strikes my side from Porar.

“What did I tell you just a little while ago. Don’t go blabbing about it like this.”

“Hey Po-man, can I train this one? I promise to be thorough!” Spetus suggests, but is denied.

“No way. You will only end up fighting each other, I can tell from that wild nature of yours.”

Spetus simply laughs. “What’s so bad about that? Y’know, a friendly spar, test each other as men?”

“The last guy you had your eye on ran away in the middle of the night.”

Huh, just how menacing is Spetus?

After dinner, I really have nothing else to do. I wonder if I should hang around that fancy palace, see if Ahorn comes out randomly and try to get his attention. But then I think if it is like the White House, a random person hanging around, waiting for someone important to show themselves is very suspicious.

Instead I end up wandering around the compound. Various people are training in various ways. People swordplaying with each other. Others hacking at stuffed dolls, some running with weights attached to their waist. I spot Spetus, passionately lifting a metal pole with two bags around the end, while another person is beating his stomach with a third bag. It almost gives off a sense of a track and field club.

The next day is my first proper day here. It is started by being asked to strip, and don the chain covering and loin-cloth ensemble the rest of the people here wear. Apparently it is to spill more blood by exposing a lot of skin, and to prolong fights by protecting the most vulnerable area; the neck.

I am quickly introduced to the various forms of training over the next couple of days. First is strike at a doll, only removing the outermost layer of cloth covering it, in preparation for performing shallow wounds.

It is followed by training simply standing still, taking a shallow wound with a sword. Then proceeding to maneuver into that position, so that it looks more dynamic and natural. Then practicing reactions, showing off pain and a will to work through it, that simply isn’t there.

I have already spent a month here, before my first scheduled fight. We have been practicing the opening together for a week. A few cuts here and there, swords brandishing against each other, both of us with multiple wound across chest and legs, before we are allowed to fight for real.

“Remember” Porar speaks to us before my first show battle. “Don’t kill each other, if you can help it.  That goes for both the one winning and the one losing. Surrender if you are too much out of your league” I feel that comment is for my opponent. I have far proved my superiority to this other greenhorn in our training sessions together.

We are separated from each other right after. Porar leads me through a long hallway, that twists and turns beneath the massive stone structure, before I stand by a closed portcullis.

“Next! Two new fighters, ready to test their mettle! Welcome Yos and Pikar!” A man sounds out from the arena. The portcullis opens and we both step out onto the sand.

There isn’t much noise from the audience, considering how many they are, but there a few cheers.

Pikar, my opponent stands opposite me. We both approach calmly and steadily till we reach the agreed upon distance to each other. Both mostly naked. Both holding only a sword.

Then our dance begins. We wave our swords around, and on cue, I step in and take a thin slice across the chest.

Next, I swing in a certain way for signal, then to scratch his arm. Back and forth, six wounds are drawn upon each body, before we both withdraw to keep a distance from each other. From here on out it should be improvisation.

The cheers geared up a little during our dance number, but now I go serious. Full throttle sprint, alongside… What else? A gut punch. Pikar flies back and lands on his back, before turning over and puking. Huh, he is nowhere near as durable as Spetus.

And then, the jeers starts. Boos and heckling can be heard all across the stadium and a few cups of drink and pieces of meat start flying in over the arena. What the hell?

Porar appears quickly from my corner. “What the hell where you thinking, get back here now.”

What did I do wrong?

 

 

3