18.5 – Bird’s Determination
1.4k 32 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*****

'The child of magic.'

Casting magic with the need of thought only.

'That's what I thought of her.'

A child who has too much power within her hands.

'That's what she has proven.'

Through countless challengers that sought to test their strength on her, or to bring her home with them, treating her as a trophy.

'And that's what she has become to me.'

My child that I overlook, adore, and support. The child that I care for, the same way she cares for me.

At least that is what I would like to think.

The child has avoided speaking of such things whenever I tried to pry into her past.

Which led me to think that she has an unfortunate situation with her family.

But I have discovered something. Something she muttered during her sleep. I do not understand her words but what I understand instead is her intent. The same goes for her, I've been told. But this time, it was a name. I would be a failure if I could not even tell that much.

"Lily…" She sorrowfully muttered in her sleep. When I saw her face at the time, I could tell that she was having a bad dream.

Perhaps this 'Lily' did something to her? Or she did something to 'Lily' that she regrets? Either way, it is my job as her guardian to make certain that she is happy and that she does not fall into depression. That is what a parent does, do they not?

When the morning came, her sorrowful face was heartachingly dejected. It pained me to see such an expression on her adorable face. It just does not fit. Never must such a sad expression fit the face of anyone. Especially my dear child.

So I prepared a gift. That same day, I took her to my favorite spot. At the top of the mountain, where the sea of clouds is the easiest to watch. With the sun setting, the scenery became all the more beautiful.

She was delighted. The entire time until the stars let themselves be known to the world, the upward curve of her lips remained constant. Her eyes shone at the sight as she pointed at the setting sun, at the bright stars.

Indeed. So much better than an expression of misery.

The next day, she slept so soundly and undisturbed, it was relieving. Indeed, it was what fit her best. She woke up with joy as bright as the rising sun. From that day onward, we made it a necessity to visit the top of the mountain at least once a week. How she seemed to never get tired of it even after five years made my old heart happy.

But still, I am worried.

For years, she has not bothered to learn the language that she seemed to not understand. I even offered to help her study, but she made excuses upon excuses just in order not to. It was worrying.

She lacked the social interaction that her species required. How she refused to even consider her challengers as other than bandits made it obvious that she was scared of interacting with her people.

It was heartbreaking. The way she cried because of our argument over the matter, how she seemed so frustrated with herself for so stubbornly refusing to change her flaws was like a stake to the heart.

Now, imagine my surprise when I saw her together with a group of people of the same species she was. What made me frown was how she refused to converse and associate herself with them.

She wants to, it was obvious for the entire time we have lived together, and yet she acts this way, unwilling to leave the comfortable nest she has made for herself, unwilling to leave the solace of her loneliness to improve herself. Her species are complicated, and oftentimes that I find myself frustrated by said complication.

Into the city, all of it seemed to have fallen apart. Her own bottled-up emotions came tumbling over herself. With the small and playful attention that the divine individual presented her, she seemed to have imploded on herself.

After that, I was forced to leave, lest I cause her more trouble than she and I would prefer. My child is in pain, and it hurts me to be unable to provide her with the help she requires and deserves.

I watched from high up in the skies as she was taken away by a person that she seemed to have known. Watching more and with my sharp eyes, I watched as that person took her away, worry sketched deeply onto her seemingly stoic face. I judged that this person meant my child no harm and that she was fit to care for her.

For now, I shall guard her home for when the time of her return comes.

However, I held within me a complicated feeling. On one hand, I wanted her to stay there, where she could receive the help she needed from people who seemed to adore her just as much as I did. On the other hand, I wanted her to come back and continue living with me, to continue watching the sunset and the stars together. It was a complicated feeling, one that I had never experienced, thus my confusion.

I can only hope that whichever she chooses, she does not regret it.

And who is to say that I cannot return to the city? I made it in once, I could do it again if I wanted. Her species lacked the necessary power to reach me from high up in the skies. Even if they did, they would never be able to even dream of catching up to my speed. I ruled over the skies. I am one who is blessed by the God of the sky, I am his honorable vassal.

As such, it is only right that I care for my child the same way my God cares for his. Even if it is only this child, the child of magic, I must and I shall do my utmost to support her. It is only right, after all. I devote myself to her just as much as I devote myself to my patron God.

That's why…

None shall touch my child's beloved property! None shall reap what she has sowed other than herself!

And I shall see to it until all of my might is exhausted.

*****

72