Chapter 24 Britannia Rule Everything
2.4k 18 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Buckingham Palace, London, Great Britain

May 13th, 1912

In the Office of now King George V 

[King George V POV]

"Once again I need results. I have enough excuses that our army doesn't have enough troops to counter the Germans. I WANT RESULTS!"

"Do you understand me, General Haig?"

"Yes, your Majesty. They'll be no delays as the target of 800,000 will be reached within next year at best." Haig replied with confidence.

"It better be, I'd had enough delays since our army strength is still at 500,000. The Germans already have double or tripled that amount. And I don't want us to be left behind and be bested by the Germans. I'll give you a year at best or I'll demote you on the spot, do you understand?"

Yes, your majesty..I'll recruit as many as possible." Haig sweatdropped a bit as he bowed and left the room while I light my pipe and exhaled a puff of smoke, slowly feeling my stress leaving my body as I heard a knock and saw my personal butler and my private secretary whom I greeted as Arthurt, who was my private secretary waited for my butler to prepare my special tea and finally left the room and greeted my old friend.

"How was the trip in Africa?" I inquired.

"Hot, Sandy, and a bit of a sunburn. But nothing that I can't handle. I have guaranteed the colonies support in exchange for a bit of autonomy. Which  I granted with your authority. It's the best I could do, since I want to prevent another rebellion from rising up once again in Africa."

"I see…it is expected after all. Good job."

"Thank you, your majesty."

"Any other news I should be aware of?"

"The Germans are increasing their number of ships again. It's expected that there's gonna be another dreadnought and 6 more light class cruisers."

"Mhmm" I nodded as I took another puff of smoke before ordering Arthur another set of orders. "Gather more intelligence on the rumored Society in Germany. I've recently picked up a certain word that's been spreading in Germany and in Ireland as well, which is suspicious that it may be another spy network of the Germans."

"Of course, your majesty. It will be done within a week. Anything else, your majesty?" Arthur inquired.

"Have Lord of the Admiralty Churchill, Admiral Jellicoe to my office."

"At once, your majesty." Arthur bowed as he left the office and to the Admiralty office to inquire about Churchill and Jellicoe's schedule and that the King had called for them.

While Arthur was calling them, I was busy preparing documents in order to prepare for the new First Labour of Ministry to be established as soon as possible as it is important as in order to control the capitalists and the commoners alike by appointing someone to manage it.

I also have to reject more autonomy pleas from Canada and India as they're the most important part of the Empire with trade and manpower.

I'll have to think of something to simmer the rise of nationalism within India and Canada. Thank god Africa is still under our control as we can continue to exploit the people and siphon more wealth from their lands. 

As I was busy planning on how to further preserve the empire, a knock came to my door and set aside the documents that I was holding for now.

"You may enter."

After I answered, 3 men entered as I immediately noticed the familiar faces.

Churchill went in first and greeted me as usual as stood in front of my desk and waited.

Next to enter was Admiral Jellicoe, who was showing a stoic but respectful face towards me as he greeted me and stood next to Churchill.

And the last to arrive was Asquith who was rather tired by the looks of it but kept it to himself, which didn't bother me as I told the maid to hand out tea and started to open a topic about the Admiralty as we waited for the tea to arrive.

"Status of the navy Admiral?" I inquired from Admiral Jellicoe.

"So far it is in full operational status your majesty, although the newly added 2 dreadnoughts and 6 cruisers. The navy is also planning to build 2 more dreadnoughts and an additional 26 destroyers."

"Mhm. And how does the naval budget handle such costs?" I asked Churchill since he is the Lord of the Admiralty.

"It is within range, your majesty. Although we might have delays to build the destroyers since we are prioritizing the dreadnoughts. They're expected to be finished within a few years along with final inspections and testing."

"Good. And Asquith, how goes the soy network that I asked you to build up in the Central powers?"

Asquith answered with a tired voice  "so far we only have a spy network in the ottoman empire, we also have one in Austria Hungary although it's only the right part that's been on the easier side to infiltrate and gather Intel."

"For Germany…only the rural areas. It's impossible to place a spy in the main cities, as well as towns near the cities. And we will lose contact with our spies who are having trouble infiltrating Germany itself as they have a good counter Intel agency in the works.

"How good is Germany's counterintelligence in the cities?"

Asquith answered, wiping his scalp with a clean towel. "Yes. We have lost 23 people so far trying to penetrate it. But we have one albeit we have spies only at certain places…"

"It's better than nothing. But I want results. Is that understood?" 

"Yes, your majesty."

"I also need to know, does the French know about our 'Tank' project?"

"I believe so, your majesty. Because I had someone visit the secret facility for me and he had confirmed it to be a factory that manufactures tanks. Although different from us, it looks more reliable than the one we built, it won't match up to us. Ours is better with the speed and firepower since theirs is used for intimidation since it's big and bulky." Asquith arrogantly said, as he dismissed the reports stating that the french tanks are more reliable somewhat than theirs.

Churchill glanced at Asquith as those words and didn't speak up on it as he knew Asquith was lying in front of George V but he couldn't care less about it since asquiths position was already under fire due to a incident he was involved in and the forming of a coalition which upsetted the House of Lords and House of Commons.

"That's reassuring to hear." I took a pause to whiff of my pipe and exhaled a smoke after. "What about our RFC? Do we have enough warplanes to counter the Germans?" I said, referring to the warplanes that were introduced to us a year ago and I ordered for our new Royal Flying Corps along with its Officers to build a plane that is combat capable and they delivered but some bad news struck me.

"The RFC…has encountered problems as of late and only has built reconnaissance planes for now to help monitor the overall battlefield if needed." Asquith answered me with no confidence in our air force being dominant in an event of the war.

"Tell the RFC, if I don't see a warplane by the end of 1914, I will personally head over there and remove the one in charge and replace him." I angrily said, since The Germans must have a decent air force by now along with the french. "We must not fall behind with technology that is granted to us by god. We need to stay ahead. And be always ahead." I said, as British dominance over Europe was inevitable and he didn't care if the Germans cried over it nor the french.

"Y-yes, your majesty." 

"How is our weapons development going since I've heard that the Germans have developed a new infantry rifle."

"So far it's going well, your majesty. We can beat the Germans if they dare invade Belgium."

"Are you absolutely sure the Germans will violate the treaty by going through Belgium? It seems impossible and I know my cousin isn't that stupid."

"There's a high possibility, your majesty. Since Belgium is the key to access north of France unopposed."

"And how are our Belgian allies taking it?"

"So far they're taking it seriously, your majesty, since they have amped up their recruitment drive and are building more defenses in the eastern part of their land."

"I see. Will the Nordic countries support us?"

"They're staying neutral, your majesty. They're King however has agreed to a new trade alliance with the Germans though a few years back."

"What about the Russians?" I inquired more.

"They're struggling, your majesty. But they can put up a good fight against the Germans and Austrians. Although I doubt it since I've heard talks of a revolution stirring within Russia. Which worries me since if a revolution starts in Russia, we may lose another ally to block the Germans."

"And the Italians?" I inquired further.

"They're willing to ally with us as long they get South Tyrol back from the Austrians."

"Tell them we agree for now, but once the wars over, we will only give them a portion of it." I said, not giving too much land to the Italians.

"Of course, your majesty."

"Anything else that needs my undivided attention?" 

Churchill stepped up. "Your majesty, I've set up a plan to take the ottomans by surprise."

"Continue." I gestured with my hand.

"You see, we can forcefully occupy the Dodecanese islands that were taken by the Germans and use them as a staging point to land here." He opened up a map and placed it on the desk and pointed to the location of where the landing site was going to be.

"Gallipoli?"

"Yes your majesty."

"Why not further to the north?"

"Because it is a good staging point to force the ottomans on two fronts. And if we occupy it, we will have a clear shot to their capital. And force them to capitulate and the Austrians would have to send troops to the southern front because we will use this to our advantage and flank them from both sides."

"Assuming we take Gallipoli." I pointed out.

"Yes, your majesty."

"And how many ships and men are to be involved in this…grand endeavor of an operation of this size?" 

"The Dreadnoughts will be escorting the transport ships that will be used to land troops on the beach. Furthermore, we will gather volunteers and conscripting Australians, New zealanders, Canadians, and Indians to fight."

"We will be controlling this entire operation without them interfering, correct?"

"Yes, your majesty. They would follow our orders to the letter and cannot disobey them. We will have to put out a white lie though that they'll be fighting for their own country and for their King."

"How long will this operation last be your estimate?"

"Around 5 months at best, your majesty."

"And how many will force the Turks to surrender Gallipoli?"

"Around 600,000, your majesty."

"And it's gonna be supported with our dreadnoughts covering the advance?"

"Yes, your majesty.

I knew once the war starts, we would need to kick the Turks out of the war as soon as possible. But this operation carries risks as I think about the consequences if this operation fails on us. I looked at Churchill and Admiral Jellicoe and made a decision.

"I approve of this operation. But I want daily reports once this operation commences. I don't want to be left in the dark as our situation with our colonies is fragile right now." I said, knowing full well the consequences but the temptation to kick the Turks out early was too great to ignore as I approved the operation.

"I won't let you down, your majesty." Churchill said, as he folded the map back and tucked it in his coat pocket. 

"Gentlemen, if that's all, you may leave now as I need to talk with my family."

They all nodded as one by one they left the office to do their tasks and plan for the inevitable war that's on the horizon.

I sighed as I sat down and looked at the picture of my family on my desk and looked at Edward, my oldest son whom I hoped has changed for the better and has not that bastard woman who seemed to have Edward lovesick for.

Of all the women he had to pick, it has to be the Simpsons. Blasted son of mine. You'll be the ruin of us all and our reputation will take a hit.

As I was pondering what to do with Simpson a knock was heard at my door and I answered "Enter."

My son Edward entered and closed the door behind him as he walked in front of my desk and looked at me for a brief second.

I looked back as I knew he was angry at what I did. But I couldn't care as the risks were too much for the family.

"Father, why did you do that to the Simpson family?"

"Because, my son, it is time to change your ways. If you can't change it. Then it is my job to change it for you."

"but you ruined my chances to be with her!"

"It's for your own good son. One day, you have to lead this empire once I'm gone, and I don't want an incompetent son taking the throne with lovesick tendencies!"

"And if you dare say you'll abdicate, I'll remove your titles and exile you to Scotland for your punishment!"

Edward was shocked at my proclamation and looked down for a moment as he tightened his fists and gave up hoping to be with simpson.

"I understand, father. I will renounce my relationship with Simpson and continue the legacy and reputation and duty our family has to the empire…" he gritted his teeth in frustration.

"That is good to hear, Edward. Now I hope in the coming years, you'll change and make the Empire a better place. And keep Europe in check. one day, you'll understand why I did it."

"I understand that you're disappointed in me and angry. But it is for the future of the empire and your future as well. I will have it not ruined by an upstart woman who claims to love you more as anyone else."

"I understand…father. I'll take my leave." He said as he just walked out of the office without even acknowledging my words.

 Which was disappointing but I was happy with one thing, is that Edward can marry a woman we solely chose for him and our reputation won't be ruined. I just hope that Edward has changed for the better. But knowing my son, he won't listen. And likely still keeping minimum contact with her. Which I'll allow for now but any more than that, and I'll have Edward be busy with other things to keep him occupied and be far away from her as long as possible.

And goodness gracious the scandal of this Cale that Wallis Simpson is cheating with Edward will be a disaster in the making. No…it will stain our reputation…what in god's name did Simpson do to bewitch Edward like this… I deeply groaned as I coughed a bit as my smoking habits still haven't left me as I lighted another pipe as I filled my lungs with smoke yet again.

Meanwhile, in the Estate of Wallis Warfield Simpson 

(Who finally divorced her second husband after her first marriage ended in a disaster, as well as her second marriage in the span of ten years.)

 [I changed her birth year to 1876 to fit the timeline]

[Multiple POVs]

Wallis waited for the news of Edward in her estate given to her but Edward during their first years seeing each other as she knew Edward was definitely the one for her. She didn't recognized her first and second marriage nor counted them as she wanted to marry Edward and be together with him forever and dream of being the Queen of England in a celebratory manner as she was thinking of glamorous thoughts, she heard a car arrive that was most likely Edward and waited for him to arrive at the living room and waited for a good news hopefully. But she was disappointed as Edward had a solemn expression as he explained to me what happened.

To which she showed a 'what the fuck expression' as Edward finally finished and waited for her to speak.

"What are we going to do Edward? I know you marrying me would be a huge scandal, so what is your decision?"

She decided to let Edward think for a moment while Wallis was also reorganizing her thoughts as well.

Edward then said "We will keep our marriage a secret. We will marry in Germany if needed without any of our families knowing."

"Are you sure that's a good plan Edward? What if they find out?" Naturally Wallis was worried as Edwards' family could track him down anywhere and anytime which posed a problem.

But Edward reassured Wallis.

"Don't worry, I have connections in Germany that would be safe. But the downside is, I'll have to marry another woman and keep up the facade of us being apart…will that be fine with you Wallis?"

Hearing it, she was devastated. But she knew it was the only way and hence she agreed. "When will we marry though?"

"Next year as I need to prepare everything and to make it look like a harmless trip to Germany."

"Are you planning something Edward?"

"Yes. And I hope it will work out as all I want is for you and me to be married as soon as possible. With the help of someone I know…" as Edward a few years back met someone that had contacts in Germany about a certain Group called the German Imperial Society. He was curious as to the German he met, examined what it is and what their ultimate goal is and he was intrigued as he was sympathetic to the Germans and asked if he could join.

The German he met said he could but there's a price and an initiation. But if you pass it, you'll be given privileges as the German man said.

And he did join in 1911 and he was enjoying the benefits of it. Although he has to hide the tattoo that was near his upper thigh and groin area to avoid his family and close friends from ever figuring out that he had a tattoo.

He could ask his contacts from the society to set up a marriage certificate and a church for them to get married. Although his family and Wallis's family can't attend or else a rumor would further spread, and further push his reputation down the drain.

"Anyways, prepare everything for next year and I promise you, we will get married."

She nodded, although she looked disappointed, marrying Edward is all that matters as she was prepared to also do anything to make it happen. 

"I wish we could've married in something grander…"

"I know honey. But if we did that, our future would be jeopardized and our lives would be forever hounded by the media."

"You have a point. I'll prepare everything for the trip. I just hope your friends from Germany can cover it." She said, as she went upstairs to pack some things as she knew Edward well as they plan to stay in Germany for a few months.

Edward nodded as she just watched Wallis headed up the stairs, and Edward headed for his office as he was still the crowned prince. He however had an ulterior motive. He didn't quite like George VI, his brother. He thought his brother would support his affair with Wallis but he was surprised that he didn't support him and they further drifted apart thanks to an almost fist exchange that led to a small scandal within the nobility circle.

After that, Edward and his family just drifted apart but still kept in touch since Edward alongside with his family, still loved each other.

Hence he planned to expand his circle of friends that are related to the society and after a year of hard work, safe to say, he can now expand his influence thanks to the society in Britain and never suffer a backlash if his family cuts him off in any way.

But in reality, the society is also using Edward as a branch to enter the nobility circle of Britain. It may be a slow and grueling process, but society can wait and bide its time. For now, it will do all it can to 'help' Edward achieve his goals.

For that he sat down in his chair, and wrote a urgent telegram that was coded and to be sent to Germany as quick as possible to showcase his next plans to the Saintess herself.

Never realizing that Edward was also slowly being changed thanks to society.

Meanwhile, in Dublin, Ireland in one of the Bars housing the founding of new Army

June 2nd, 1912

[Multiple POVs]

Eoin Macneill grew sick and tired of Ireland being a subject of abuse and suffering thanks to the Brits. He knew that something had to be done. And so he founded the Gaelic League as a front in order to establish the Irish Volunteer Army (IVA) and invite his good friend Joseph Kettle who immediately agreed to join and help expand the IVA.

Later on 2 more people who would be honorary treasurers would join and formally expanded the IVAs reach into Irish politics and into the peoples heart by making a manifesto with some adjustments and the birth of the IVAs second name in the future the IRA. (Irish Republican Army)

"Can we kick out the British from Northern Ireland is the question I have for all of you" Eoin Macneill spoke on the round table in a secured room on the second floor of the bar.

The round table was filled with prominent people and the surroundings with at least 30 people as they listened to Eoin.

"The answer is yes. We can kick out the British. But it will take time and effort to make that dream a reality.

"What do you propose?" O'Rahilly said, as he was interested in the plan of Eoin.

"First we need to acquire weapons that will arm our volunteers and train them on how to use and fire a weapon."

"Where would we get them? The British authorities and the Dublin Metropolitan Police (DMP) would arrest us and have us tried." One volunteer member said and the others agreed.

But Joseph Kettle suggested another option.

"Why not buy the weapons that we need from the German Empire? Surely they have some surplus of old weapons, as well as ammunition that we need."

"That can work. Although we would have to smuggle it under the DMP and the  King's Own Scottish Borderers." (KOSBs)

"We can smuggle it if we buy it in small numbers. Let's say…1,000 rifles and 20 ammo boxes as a start?" A volunteer suggested

"I hope we don't get caught." Another one muttered

"We won't." Joseph Kettle reassured the volunteers and to the men and women on the table "we will free Ireland and be an independent state just as our ancestors dream of. We will never bow down to our conquerors. They never cared about us. They never even give twoshits if we have the right to live in our land. They just come in and take our young boys and girls to join their fycking wars and for what? To die or go home penniless?" Kettle shouted as everyone went quiet since after the Boer Wars and the. Boxer Rebellion, and especially the Indian Revolts. The Irish people had enough. But Britain didn't care as they kept recruiting for another war that's coming in the future as even Eoin and Joseph can see it.

Europe will gripped in war once again and this time, Eoin, Kettle, and the others would take advantage of this and will free Ireland.

"So I ask you all this." Kettle gave a pause for a moment to take a breath and continue. "Will you bow down and submit to your oppressors? Or reclaim our lost ancestral land with us and free Ireland?"

Everyone felt it. The chills that went inside their bodies as they heard Kettles words. It inspired them to take a stand and make a future where Ireland is free and scream to the world that IRELAND WAS FREE! And that made all of their blood boil as they silently acknowledged Kettle and Eoin as the future leader of a Free Irish Nation.

With this, we can slowly start from scratch and work our way to regain more power within the Irish government that is still bound to follow the King to slowly lose its influence and overall power towards the Irish people. And then, if the time is right, we strike and we can gain more followers. For that, we need the support of the Germans and I hope that they will agree to our cause and help free our nation from British rule. I just hope John Gore has better luck than any of us, now that he is in Germany right now gathering support and money. 

And true to his prediction, John Gore met someone that would help Ireland in its dark days a few years later. John Gore encountered a strange group called the society and further investigated the true origins of this said group only to be captured by them and interrogated. And after explaining what he was doing and what he wanted, the society agreed to a deal that would seal the fate of the civil war that would happen a few years later. 

In exchange for a large amount of funds and weapons. John Gore will join the society and to provide intelligence and possibly a future alliance between Ireland and Germany.

The Society even provided John Gore with a large amount of smuggled weapons to ensure that the Irish will give hell to the British and hopefully worsen the relations for both sides.

Safe to say, Erika is gambling to see if the Irish this time will prevail in their future civil war or not. If it does, then Erika can open up a whole new avenue of plans to further strangle the British in the future.

Spoiler

Glossaries for the People, groups and other weapons that aren't mentioned that the British are making.

Edward VIII

Wallis Simpson

(I made adjustments that they're born 10 years earlier to fit my storyline. So apologies if I cause some confusions.)

George V

Herbert Henry Asquith, 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith

Field Marshal Douglas Haig, 1st Earl Haig

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill

Admiral of the Fleet John Rushworth Jellicoe, 1st Earl Jellicoe

Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur John Bigge, 1st Baron Stamfordham

Eoin MacNeill

Laurence Joseph Kettle

Michael Joseph O'Rahilly

(For the Character John Gore, I tried to find him to no avail. If you any have information about him pls do notify me since he is a member of the IVA. But for now I don't have a pic nor info about him I apologize.)

The Irish Volunteers

The Dublin Metropolitan Police (DMP)

The King's Own Scottish Borderers (KOSBs)

Pattern 1914 Enfield

(planning to produce once trials end)

Grenade, Hand No. 6

(No pictures [producing])

(A variant called the Grenade, Hand No. 7 was also produced the same as 6 but it's a fragmentation grenade. Also still in production as of now.)

Mk II (Mills Grenade / Mills Bomb)

(Still undergoing trials. But will be produced in mid 1914.)

No. 15 Ball Grenade

(Will be produced in late 1915 as it's still a concept)

No 16 Oval Grenade

(Another variant)

No. 34 Egg Grenade

(Will be available in late 1914)

British heavy tanks

[collapse]

Hello! You're friendly author here with another update. Took me awhile but here it is!

Next update will be on the American perspective and I'm thinking of doing the Italian and Russian side.. let me know in the comments if you want that as well. Or more of it. Or just more of Erika's business plans to expand to a business empire sort of thing.

Once again the next chapter will be delayed for a few days at least or maybe more (Depends with irl things to do and research) but I promise you'll see another chapter! 

Anyways I'm open to suggestions and changes so do leave a comment and leave some hearts 💕 I love you all and take care!

This is Erika Signing Off!

62