Chapter 26 Inevitable Changes.
2.3k 16 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Utah, USA

September 18th, 1912

[Society Spy 1 Star Member Codename "Beaver" POV]

God I hate summer. I thought you myself as living in Utah, one of the states of America, was entirely new to me at first. But overtime, I got used to the environment and weather for the past year and safe to say, I somewhat adapted and became a known resident in Minersville since the target that the Führerin wanted to acquire as soon as possible was a certain family called the 'Farnsworth.' 

It was an odd mission I thought you myself, but nevertheless did my duty and bought a ticket to head to America.

It took me a couple of weeks before finally arriving in New York harbor as my ship had to do stops every so often because of the severely bad weather.

After that, I had to head to the nearest railway station and buy a ticket as close to Utah as possible and board it.

As for why my codename was 'Beaver' I was also born in Beaver, Utah albeit in a different town.

My father was half German and I often reminisce about the times that me and my father would often have fun building our very own farm and raising horses and other types of farm animals. But when my mother died, he changed and honestly, I couldn't bear to see him depressed and so I arranged a trip thanks to a friend of mine to head for Germany in order for my father to stay with his relatives and Grandfather and Grandmother.

I explained our circumstances to them and they agreed to help out while at that time, I was young and had to do multiple jobs to feed for myself and my father.

But as luck would have it, a certain Group that's growing in popularity was spreading throughout the academy I was schooling in.

And to my fault, I got curious and tried to find the group to see if it was fake or real, and after a few weeks of digging, I found it to be real as I pondered my choices right now.

Should I stay normal like this? Or have an adventure of a lifetime and so I decided after a few months to finally apply to become a member of the society.

At first, they were hesitant because of my accent and me being half American, but I showed my dedication as at that time, we were poor and my relatives could only.give me a small amount of money to survive.

As for me, I was struggling to do multiple jobs at once and helping my father recover from his depression and helping him reduce his intake of alcohol everyday.

We argue about it, but it's part of the daily routine. Hence why maybe I was so desperate to have the society help me… I thought to myself as I had to go through background checks and an initiation process to which I passed a few weeks prior to me applying.

And honestly, after 8 years later, my life was changed for the better and my father has found a job that brought happiness to him and that is enough for me.

As for the job the society gave me, was to be a spy. Of course being a spy sounded…adventurous to me. Kinda like those Sherlock novels I read when I was a teenager. Nevertheless,I agreed to be one and the training was hell to say the least.

I even had to go through a loyalty and interrogation test. Which tested my sanity and mental will to go on and fortunately, I did survive all that. But subconsciously, I resented the one who interrogated me since he kept slapping me in the face for 2 hours. 

I chuckled at that thought as I saw the countryside pass by my window and glanced at my watch. 

Mhm, it's still early. Once I arrive there, I'll have to buy a house and start my plans to befriend the Farnsmouth family

Honestly, one might think, this job is easy. But it's not since I have to befriend a family and manipulate them into moving into Germany. I honestly thought in my naive teenager brain back then, these scenarios were sick and not honorable.

But at this present day, I realized how naive I was and just accepted my role as a spy and followed the Führerin's will and hope for a better and brighter future for Germany.

Honestly, when my mother was alive, I used to think American politics had a chance to change for the better.

But now I see it won't change even for decades to come. So I started hating the system for not helping my mother for healthcare, and my father for medicines.

But that's not his problem anymore as he has better things to think about.

As he heard the whistle of the train and the conductor shouting that they've arrived near Utah, I disembarked and found another train station that heads directly to Utah.

After searching for an hour, I found one and bought a ticket. I repeated this until I had to buy a car and drive my way into Minersville, a place where the Farnsmouth family live according to the Führerin's information.

She might as well be a prophet since she can predict pretty much everything I thought as I talked to a real estate broker and him and I negotiated on a price for a house 

"How much for this house?" I pointed to the magazine that sells houses in this very town as the Real estate Broker looked at it and calculated in his mind and pitched the price to me.

"Around $8,000 give or take."

"That's not including A/C Heating, Bathroom, Plumbing, a Telephone line?"

"Err..but it's brand new, and it's only been up for sale for 2 years at best."

"2 years? Bullshit. I can tell that the house is already 6 years old. And the pipes below it are not brand new, nor does the environment inside the house look clean."

The Real Estate Broker grumbled as he tried to do a sale bargain once again. Since he can't lower the price of a 5,000 sqft of a house that's built for a family of 6.

It even had a backyard and basement goddammit!

"How about $7,000? Surely that's a fair price. And given that you want all the necessary installments added to your new home, it will cost you $6,000 more." He smiled like an evil salesman would.

I twitched my eyes at this outrageous pricing since while yes, the price does sound reasonable, it's totally ridiculous even for me to pay that absurd amount. So I tried to haggle by pointing out flaws.

The Real Estate Broker heard my points and grudgingly offered the last price along with the installments that I needed.

"$12,000 that's the last offer I can give you. I can even give you a 6 month cleaning service for free as a gift from us "

I smiled since I won the haggle match and shook his hand

"It's a deal. I want it ready as soon as possible. Preferably  a month from now since I need to buy furniture and prepare some stuff that I need."

"We can arrange that sir. Is the payment gonna be upfront or bank check?" He inquired.

"Upfront. I'll head to your office right now."

Hearing those words, his previous grudge attitude was all smiles as he even offered to use his car to drive to their office.

I obliged since I'll be busy in the coming months.

After paying the money upfront with my suitcase full of money, they immediately started their work and refurbished, cleaned, and remodeled the house and replaced old pipes and wallpaper with new ones.

While I was waiting, I headed to a department store and bought the necessary things needed for a long term stay as I'll also be setting up a headquarters in my general location as I'll use this town as a full on HQ hub or a extension of the Society into monitoring the American people and how the information flows. I'm pretty sure, most states have at least one spy member like me who's also setting up. But I doubt we can set up in Washington D.C yet and New York due to the outrageous price that we need to prepare relatively soon.

2-3 Months Later

December 19th, 1912

Beaver, Utah, USA

[Society Spy "Beaver" POV]

I finally managed to buy all the furniture and hardware I need to fully establish myself as a Utah citizen. But not gonna lie, I love the peaceful atmosphere for once, but I know that my job is to entice the family of Farnsworth and hopefully guide them to the correct path on moving to Germany.

I'll have to also plan some accidents and scenarios in order for it to happen. Make it seem natural to everyone's eyes. 

One thing I hate though is the fucking electricity bill is ridiculous in my end. Then again I'm using a lot of hardware. But with my bill $200 per month…isn't that a bit too much for me?

Nevertheless, time to send a coded telegram home that I finished establishing a hub in Utah state.

And moving to my next long assignment is to befriend the Farnsworth family and tempt them to move to Germany. It would take a few months to a few years but I'm patient. And my patience will be rewarded in the future.

St.Petersburg, Russian Empire

December 25th, 1912

[Society Spy Member Codenamed "Falcon" POV]

I often wondered how and why Russia is always at the center of every revolution in history as far as I know in my entire life.

Arriving here in 1907 changed my perspective for the Russians at least in my biased view, that the Tsar is incompetent in many ways, but I can commend him for trying as the 5th DUMA is working somewhat. 

But I can already feel the political atmosphere and tension brewing even here in my 'Semi-decent' apartment which cost me twice as much when I was living in germany. Like Jesus Christ, a sack of rice here costs twice as much than in Germany. I assume that they're either artificially jacking up the price, or the economy of Russia is so bad that everything here is doubled.

And living here is somewhat uncomfortable but I managed to live with it for the past 5 years. I made some Russian friends and known some Russian soldiers that pass by my place often than not as they tell me everything is going to shit and that the nobles are planning something big soon.

According to them, the nobles are planning a coup which is interesting as I put in my report that even the peasants are somewhat revolting in some provinces of the Russian empire.

I even asked them how bad it is and told me and stated that half of the Russian army is mobilized to counter the partisans and peasants that we're slowly growing in number.

I was amazed, and terrified at the same time. Like half the army of the Russian empire is almost a million, and I feel it doesn't bode well with their logistics as well. And so I realized back in 1910, they somewhat lied that they're army was fully equipped and fully trained.

I wrote this in my usual report as I realized something that I can gather more information by paying the people and even the soldiers money in exchange for more information or be my extended eyes within the Russian populace and in the military as well.

Hence I requested an additional budget and stated my reasons on why I need them, and a few weeks later, it got approved and I received the package another week later as it needed to be smuggled on the port.

As I acquired the money, I began to plan this accordingly as I went home and calculated how much would I need to spend per week as the Russian people are in demand of such money and maybe even trade for food as from I've seen, Russia is slowly getting unstable as of right now and I can exploit that.

So when I planned this in 1910, I originally wanted to expand as quickly as possible to get information and control the populace through word of mouth.

But I realized it would fail, hence I went back to the drawing board and eventually started slow and grew from there. And sure enough, I got my first my first Russian informants.

They were civilians of course but they knew the land more than I did so I hired them to at least notify me of the government projects that are ongoing and how is the general populace on their likes and dislikes, their desires and whatnot.

And overtime, locals started to flock to me for extra money or food in exchange for them to spy or even monitor what I ordered.

And and as the years passed, even I got some low ranking soldiers to be my informant since money was already hard to come by and the prices of food, and daily necessities were skyrocketing. 

At present, I hired over 200 people, 20 of them were in the military. And 5 of them were officers.

My hard work and patience paid off somewhat, but I was having a hard time planning routes for the royal family of Romanovs to fully escape since in the event of a coup or anything close to it, the royal family would've fled elsewhere.

So we need to know they're route or reveal ourselves to them and tell them we can support them or not.

But at this point, I doubt they'll trust us with how paranoid they must be.

So another plan was hatched into guarding the routes that the Romanov family will take and make sure they get to Germany as safe as possible.

I will drag them if I have to and since our elite troops safeguard their safety.

Another issue is Vladimir Lenin's arrival at the Führerin predicted will come if the German empire is desperate to get a win or hasten Russia's defeat.

Still, I myself, along with 8 other members that are still hidden in leningrad. We vowed to help the family, even the cause of our lives. That's just how dedicated we are.

I glanced at my watch and frowned for a moment as 3 members "Gulag" "Yak" "Pistol" were somewhat late as the meeting should've started 5 minutes ago.

Where are they? I wondered as I heard a knock on my door. I stood up and took a look at the peephole and sure enough, it's them. I opened the door and let them in.

"What took you so long?"

"We have a problem." Yak said.

I stared at Yak, as I saw in his eyes and tone that it was a serious problem.

"What is the problem Yak?" I asked.

Gulag looked at Yak and then at Pistol before telling me.

"We lost contact with "Dog" and "Cold" and we assumed that it was only temporary. But almost a week passed and still no contact. So I asked Pistol" Yak pointed at Pistol. "To see if they're still there."

"But when Pistol got there, Dog was dead. Along with Cold, who's hanged up to the tree as apparently, according to the locals, they were accused of being traitors to the Russian people. And that the new regime punished them for their transgressions."

"Pistol even asked the locals how the new regime knew they were spies without evidence?"

"They didn't." (One local replied) "they just gathered up men and women who refused to recognize the new regime and executed them without trial. It's like this in some villages, even the army is helpless to stop every activity of the new regime."

I realized what has now happened and cursed myself "it seems they're already winning the hearts of the people am I right?" I said.

"Pretty much. Although a stupid and odd way to do it, it's working." Gulag replied.

"We need to devise a plan to safely escort or help the secret police of the tsar to escort the royal family." I gestured them to follow me into my office where I hastily grabbed the map of St.Petersburg, along with the entire western Russia as I pointed out the locations we needed to guard.

"Ok, here is our situation for now. 2 of our members just died which means the civil war is slowly starting to affect Russia in itself. Which leads us to the first problem, how to escort the royal family."

"It's rather easy if you think about it, but executing is an entirely different plan altogether."

Yak pitched in "How about using the St.Petersburg Port? We could safely escort him there to Germany."

"It isn't a bad idea. I replied. "But the Russian navy isn't exactly reliable. I grimaced at the thought of it, as well as Yak and Pistol.

Gulag proposed another idea. "The only idea plausible is to escort them via roads and keep using decoys to fool the communists. But most likely the roads would be guarded as hell. Even though some loyalists will support it, I think almost most of Russia is siding with communist ideas. Gulag sighed with a heavy heart as he is also a Russian and seeing his homeland being torn apart like this, he can't help but feel emotional.

"We have no choice. Either choice we make, will have risks. Call in support from the society and…send a telegram message to the Führerin."

They all nodded as they began to prepare the great evacuation of the royal family in due haste. They just all hope it's not too late.

I sat down and contemplated as I looked at the map. I'll not be surprised if the communists will have already secured a lot of money thanks to their connections around the world…

It's even Christmas back in Germany…maybe I should write a letter to my parents greeting them heh. I laughed for a bit as I resumed writing a coded telegram letter and then sent it to the telegram office that's thankfully near me and along with my personal letter to my family. After that I left the building and headed to the port and arranged something that will hopefully be useful in the future by inspecting the port to see if it's viable for a future landing operations or not.

A few days later, the coded telegram arrives at Erika's Office.

Berlin, Germany

December 28th, 1912

[Erika's POV]

After taking a small break, I took break from my office and wiped my sweat as Grace handed me a cold water.

"Thank you Grace." I smiled as I greedily drinked it before letting out a satisfying sigh.

"You shouldn't overwork yourself Erika, we all know how this is important for you and the future of Germany so please…don't push yourself." Grace said, still worried. Which I understand why. 

"I understand grace, but you cannot deny that the people who saw me work were motivated at least." I pointed out.

"Of course Erika, a noble working alongside them and the future leader at that, would surprise everyone to be fair." Grace laughed at that.

As they were talking, a knock can be heard and Grace answered it and let the man in as he was going to do a daily report on the massive bunker project that we are doing.

"Meine, Führerin. The Berlin Bunker is almost completed with just a few finishing touches but the extensions to the other bunkers around major cities will take awhile. Also for the concealment of bunkers, we incorporated your ideas to have a hidden passageway or use the works of the Kiel canal project to overshadow our grand project."

"Also, the secret entrances will be only known to a few people such as you Mein Führerin and the builders themselves. They all have sworn an oath that they will rather die than show the hidden entrances. I swear to you "

I nodded as I gestured to him to go on.

"We have also built a ferry system along with lorries and the first ever underground port. Which can only be spotted if someone looked hard enough."

"What about in the air?" I inquired.

"In the air, it would take someone with a very very good vision to see the underground port. And even then, if they were to bomb it, it would take the strain."

I nodded, as I trust the people who worked on this grand project. But I'll have to fortify it as time goes on since the British and even the Russians have dangerous big bombs that could even break a dam. So I'm not taking any chances on that one and keeping my project going.

"Additionally, Electricity, and coal power plants will also have an underground bunker system along with the water power plants in strategic positions in order."

"We have also provided near top quality coverage as the people still have no idea what's going on and  it is a grand project that will help the people of Germany which also increased your popularity indirectly."

"That's good to hear. You're not dismissed. And you're now promoted to chief engineer. Be proud." I smiled as the newly promoted chief engineer was all smiles as he saluted "Heil Victoria!" And left.

I shaked my head as Grace said

"I always find it weird that you have a cult following."

"Well…I can't stop it, so I might as well embrace it."

Another knock came to my door and Grace answered, but a man didn't bother greeting me, not Grace as he panted, clearly taking in breath as he just ran 20 minutes straight and just handed grace the telegram and collapsed on the floor for a brief moment to rest.

We just stared at him for a good 30 seconds before Grace handed me the telegram letter and wondered what was all fuss about.

I opened it and quickly decoded it as I scanned through it.

I stood up midway reading it as I narrowed my eyes even further at the report and looked at the exhausted man.

"Is this report accurate?"

The exhausted man nodded 

"Y-y-yes. It was validated twi-twice."

This is way too early. The communists are in the process of starting a civil war? How? What changed? Did I do something to make it change?" My mind was a mess as I went through different scenarios in my mind.

"Where is Vladimir Lenin right now?"

"Still in house arrest as per the Kaiser's orders to near Potsdam." Grace answered for me.

If he's in house arrest…it might be Trotsky or Bukharin who's pulling the strings. Stalin is still in hibernation…fuck!

"You, what's your name?" I pointed at the exhausted man.

"My name is Rigord, Mein Führerin."

"I have a new task for you, Rigord. Send this coded telegram to the Königsburg branch. You can send someone to drive you there. Hurry, time is of the essence here."

Rigord nodded as he picked himself back up and ran again, this time a driver was waiting outside as Grace called one. Always reliable as ever I thought.

"Is there trouble brewing, Meine, Führerin?" Grace inquired

"Yes. A lot of trouble…"

I sat down and hastily wrote another coded telegram to be sent to the Japanese and Chinese branch Society that was just recently established and hoped to get some news from there and gave it to the secretary whom I just called in and stated that this is a priority and to be sent without any obstruction.

The secretary nodded quickly as she grabbed the coded telegrams and rushed towards the vehicle and exited the bunker premises and rushed to the telegram office in order to send it via ship to the east.

It takes two weeks for my coded telegram to arrive…I hope I'm not too late. If I am, this might be the early signs of the war happening…

"Grace, I feel like next year is gonna be hectic."

"How so Meine Führerin?"

I looked at her with a grim expression as I said

"War is coming. And it will come hard. I just hope our preparations are enough. But this is too early in my calculations."

"I see…do you want me to send the Shadow Order to notify the rest of the society's high members?"

I pondered for a bit before replying "Notify them and tell them to be prepared to go to a war time economy relatively soon because I feel whatever's happening in Russia will soon spread to either Europe or in Asia."

"It will be done, Meine Führerin."

I nodded as I stood up and headed to the academy once again to finish my last year and hope that the war won't start until after I graduate. I thought as I headed to the firing range of the academy to practice my gun handling and marksmanship skills to see if I have gotten rusty ever since I reincarnated. And so far, I still haven't lost it. But I have to get used to the weapons of this era until I can make more modern weapons that will help the German army.

On the border between Vladivostok and Korea.

December 30th, 1912

4:30 AM 

[A Japanese General POV]

"Is the plan in motion?" I stated as I drank my tea.

"Yes, General. All the pieces have been in place and soon, we will teach the Russians how Japan is not some barbaric nation to be trifled with! We may have defeated them back in 1905. But our emperor demands more. Our emperor demands the occupation of Vladivostok!"

The officers cheered as Korean and Japanese women kept dancing naked in front of the Japanese officers as if they're lives were on the line. 

Even some of the officers in some areas of the building were busy fucking their women of choice as the women had no choice but to accept their fate as if they defied the japanese, they would face either execution or worse.

"And how many soldiers have assembled Officer Takashita." I inquired.

"Around 450,000 General. All have given enough ammunition and are ready to attack on your order general."

"Good. And how long will we be fully prepared and conditioned to mount an invasion?"

"Right now it's winter, General. So most likely in June, General."

"Mhm, so another 6 months…plenty of time to prepare, don't let the Russians know what we're planning. We need to take them by surprise.

"""Yes, General!"""

After everyone was dismissed, I sat down and continued drinking my tea, thinking if we did the right thing. We know the Russians are weak, as our intelligence from Europe says so. I'm somewhat glad someone from the kempeitai has volunteered to send their own spies inside Europe to monitor the overall situation and what's happening.

So far, tensions are high in Europe, as Germany is preparing for a full scale war along with its allies. I suppose they should thnks us for distracting and killing some of the Russian soldiers since they're allied to the entente.

I am excited for what's to come for the future of our Japanese Empire.

I smiled, albeit widely as I kept drinking my tea as I saw my men executing some Korean traitors by beheading them and raping their wives and children. 

"Such is war. don't you think My Emperor?" I muttered silently in my office as I hear the beautiful sounds of music coming through the radio of a distant japanese folk song and listened throughout the ongoing massacre and genocide that's happening in Korea proper.


Spoiler

span>

Glossary for people mentioned and Organizations.


Philo Taylor Farnsworth

(inventor of the first ever TV)

The Kempeitai

Thats all for now

[collapse]

Hello! You're friendly author herewar is brewing and my god the japanese might start the great war? Shocking right? Or maybe not since it's only in Asia. 


But who knows...I can somewhat promise that I can show you some perspective if you like for the japanese government or just continue to focus on Europe for now.


But when the great war hits, I'll be doing some weird transitions that I'll have to work out in the future and doing some civilians to a. Ormal soldier pov on how the war is going. It might be short, but I hope it gives you the feel of the everyday life under the war economy or like buying war bonds etc etc.


Anyways next update will be probably about the reaction of the world after I do the end of the year update soon for 1912. 


And after the reaction, maybe the focus on the view of each normal civilians pov for every nation if you all guys like that.


Just hit me up with suggestions and advice in the comments and I'll consider adding them in the future :)


Also please vote on the poll since I have trouble deciding on who's gonna take over, thank you!

This is Erika now signing off!

Who do you like to take over as the Leader of a new Russia or Soviet Union after the Great War.
  • Joseph Stalin Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Nikolai Ivanovich Bukharin Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vyacheslav Molotov Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leon Trotsky Votes: 26 49.1%
  • Alexander Fyodorovich Kerensky Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Alexei Ivanovich Rykov Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Lev Kamenev Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grigory Yevseyevich Zinoviev Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vladimir Lenin Votes: 7 13.2%
  • The Russian Provisional Committee (the remaining DUMA) Votes: 6 11.3%
Total voters: 53 · This poll was closed on Jan 19, 2023 03:11 PM.
52