Chapter 29 A Desperate Defense
2.8k 14 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Slavyanka, Russian Empire

June 24th, 1913

8 days after the war began.

[Alyosha Zaytsev's POV] (Captain now promoted Major)

If I keep hearing another banzai charge I'm gonna go insane

I thought, as I was coordinating the civilian evacuation of the small port town of Bezverkhovo. Initially, we were ordered to advance to Slavyanka 3 days ago. But when the order was changed to defending Bezverkhovo since it was a lost cause and that we needed to focus on abandoning these towns and putting all our effort into defending Vladivostok. A vital port that we desperately need.

And the worse news when Slavyanka fell just a day later and the advancing force of the japanese are heading towards this port town and I and my battalion were tasked in requesting, and most often forcing the civilians to leave their homes and requisitioned them for defensive use as we set up machine gun nests, and a lot of fortifications such as sandbags, and anti personnel mines by rigging grenades in every corner, and house we find.

Hearing the constant thump, I was reminded of the battle of port Arthur in 1905 where we held our ground, but lost in the end. It was humiliating to say the least, but I didn't care since we all lived in that god forsaken war.

"Has the entirety of Bezverkhovo been evacuated?" Korolev said, as he approached me along with 3 other offices named Miron Borisov, Agripin Mikhailov, Volya Romanov. 

"So far we have evacuated about 40% of the population. But the 60% wants to stay since they don't want to abandon their homes." Sighing, as I explained to Gerasim and the others.

"We will force them to leave if we have to, they have no choice. The Japanese won't be so merciful to them." Mikhailov said, as he was smoking his cigarette, looking at the horizon where the artillery shells kept raining down on the retreating Russian troops as he grabbed his smoke and threw it on the ground to light another one.

"How long till the reinforcements arrive from Moscow?" Volya inquired, looking at me.

"Another 3 days, the first train will arrive to deliver supplies and troops. And reinforce out position here in Bezverkhovo. The issue is, we are lacking heavy firepower and information on how many are coming here as we speak. It's also risky sending spies deep into Japanese occupied territory." I said, disappointed at the situation right now.

"Did the Germans fool the Japanese into attacking us?" Borisov said, since borisov himself is a bit of a conspiracy guy, I thought.

"No, it's impossible since they weren't that close during the boxer rebellion. Neither right now since Japan is also close with the British and Americans." Mikhailov reasoned with Borisov, who just shrugged as he said his goodbyes to help with setting up the defense of the town.

"How long do we think we can hold them?" Korolev asked us all, to which we stared at him as I answered.

"If all goes to plan, maybe 2 weeks. But if things go to shit, it might be less than 1 week depending on what our remaining navy can do against a Japanese armada ready to bombard this town to smithereens." I morbidly said, as we prepared everything we could, and it's not time for us to face the Japanese head on and survive for as long as possible until reinforcements arrive.

"Let's get ready then, let's give the barbarians a warm welcome to Russian culture, eh?" Volya jokes, as he moved towards his designated position and prepares himself.

"Heh, if we all survive, I'm buying you all a vodka." Mikhailov shouted as he also head to his battalion to prepare.

Borisov looked at me and nodded as he also said his goodbyes to move into position as well. "Goodluck comrade." 

"Goodluck as well." We both Shaked hands tightly as we went our separate ways and prepared for the inevitable assault.

Same day, the Japanese controlled Slavyanka, now heading towards Bezverkhovo.

June 24th, 1913

2 hours before the assault.

[Major Tatsuya Jijumi's POV]

"Major, the general has ordered us to move to the port town in due haste."

I nodded, as I watched Russian soldiers that surrendered were being put into a special camp where they'll be watched and monitored.

For the civilians who didn't leave, they were watched and monitored, and ordered to execute and kill their entire family if one tells the location or snitches them to the Russian army.

"Order the 17 Regiment to advance along with the 21st. We must capture Vladivostok in under a month." I said, since the high command was being pressured by Tojo to finish this as fast as possible with minimal casualties.

For me, I find this order a bit underhanded since they're asking us to kick the Russians out of Vladivostok in under a month and expect it to be given to them just like that? 

At best, just keep the opinion to myself as my adjutant replied "Hai! We will move the regiment as the advance force. May the emperor smile upon us and bring us victory! Banzai!" With that, he left to execute my orders, leaving me to ponder what will the Russians do now since we are sending the full 60,000 strong troops into Bezverkhovo and slaughter our way in if necessary. But first, we are gonna bombard it to hell, then clean up the remains and continue on. The Russians are stupid anyways to abandon their positions once artillery and the battleships give them a warm greeting.

"Indeed, victory smiles upon us…" I muttered as I exited the temporary command HQ and headed for my horse.

My assistants helped me get on my precious horse and trotted away as I ordered my regiment to follow the 2 regiments that were ordered to go ahead.

"Soldiers of the Imperial Japanese Army! You will have your glory and honor to die for the Emperor! Our empire is immortal beyond the boundaries of any country in the world! We will teach the Russians once again that they were not barbarians! But they're the barbarians! Monsters! Humans with no souls that dare rob us of our youth and family and our emperor! So show them no mercy! Even in death, grant them painful death. Let's move!" With my speech ended, I could hear thousands or even hundred of thousands shouting and cheering for the emperor and our victory. I smiled once again, as the Russians think we have only the reported number going here, but we will also shportow them that we can also think 5 steps ahead of them in a manner that will encircle their remaining troops that defend the town and kill half of their force if needed.

Such a shame that the Russian empire is of the same attitude as the Chinese…truly a shame.

June 24th, 1913

Same day, Bezverkhovo, Russian Empire

About to defend the initial assault.

[Major Alyosha Zaytsev's POV] (Now Major)

"Here they come, prepare yourselves. Remember, you're the soldiers of the Russian empire. We will not falter, nor surrender, nor give them any inch of our motherland! So fight! Fight for your families, your homeland! For the Tsar!" I shouted, and my soldiers shouted back as I nodded in approval as artillery has began to she'll the town once again as I hid in the newly made trenches and waited for the artillery bombardment to end as I lighted my cigarette.

It will be a miracle if we hold for a week to give Vladivostok more time to shore up defenses and evacuate the civilians.

I thought as the artillery bombardment ended and I could hear shouts of the Japanese from the distance and grabbed my rifle, poked my head out of the trench and aimed at the general direction that the Japanese were coming from.

And sure enough, he saw the Japanese charging en mass and ordered his troops to open fire, and the trench line roared with gunfire along with the machine gun nests giving the japanese hell.

They've returned fire while charging which makes them a bit of an easier target when standing still, but I already saw one of my comrades get headshot or be shot in the shoulder as I reloaded my rifle and opened fire again.

"We need artillery support! Call it in!" My adjutant nodded as he ran through the trenches to reach HQ and call in an artillery barrage of our own.

And after a few minutes, it came as the japanese were given the taste of a Russian welcome of being bombarded to smithereens.

"So far we are holding, but we are also taking massive casualties as well…this is why conscripts are hard to discipline and train." I muttered under my breath, as emptied my rifle and reloaded another clip and fired once again.

The town is already half destroyed, the Japanese are slowly closing in with albeit moderate casualties but slowly closing the gap which we can escape, and we couldn't let that happen. Hence the order came down to keep the road open as long as possible and give the Japanese hell.

My adjutant arrived, and reported after a few hours while under fire. "Major, HQ has reported that additional reinforcements are on the way, but will be delayed for a few days due to logistical issues."

My eyes twitched, as I heard the excuse and nearly screamed my frustrations, but held it in and just said.

"Tell them, that if they don't hurry the fuck up, we will lose this town, and they have a straight shot in invading Vladivostok from the west." 

"Y-yes Major." My adjutant replied with a stutter as he immediately ran back to HQ once again to report as I grabbed my temples and kept my view on the direction where the japanese are.

So they finally set up a trench line the same as ours huh. They realized they couldn't kick us out anymore and decided to wait for more reinforcements…smart, but it means we have more time…and time is on our side for now. Still, they're giving us hell by constantly bombarding us. Especially on the sea, I hope the submarines can scare them off…but I'm doubtful of it.

And so the 5 day hell defense of Bezverkhovo begins.

2 days later after the initial assault

Vienna, Austria-Hungary

June 26th, 1913

[Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg's POV]

Of all the days to happen, it has to be this day.

I thought outloud after hearing the war between the japanese and the Russians have started up again and has me worried since me and my husband are gonna visit Sarajevo tomorrow, which worries me greatly as my sources, or the society for the matter told me that an assassination attempt will happen to me and my husband specifically and wants to provoke Austria Hungary into attacking Serbia itself, and destabilizing Europe, which cannot happen under her watch.

So I begged my husband to wear proper body armor and at least something to cover his neck, but everytime I begged him, he just kept saying yes but when I saw what will he be wearing, I was solely disappointed as it only covered the body and not the neck itself, nor mine for the matter.

But I'm somewhat relieved that the society has promised me that security will be increased as a precaution for me and my husband when we arrive in Sarajevo, and I hope it's enough to deter the so- called black hand that the society has reported to me.

"I don't believe such a threat could kill me dear, but I will go along with it for now since the Serbians have been aggressive as of late." My husband Franz said, as he was fixing his uniform for the occasion as it was 2 days away.

"I'm happy that you're following my advice Franz, but I fear they will throw bombs at you, or even for the love of god, shoot at me. We will leave our children orphaned…" I said, worried at the fact that my children would be left without our guidance.

My husband looked at me and said with a resolute and angry stare. "I won't let that happen Sophie. I would rather have them kill me, but you, you must live for our children. If the bastards kill you first, I would raze the serbians to hell if needed. That's a promise." He said, before preparing, heading to his office to finish his duties and get much needed rest for the visit.

I for one, was disappointed but I accepted his dedication and determination to root out the threats to the empire and to his family. And as his wife, I must support him unconditionally.

I need to notify the society first of our whereabouts and the visit so our added protection for our children in case they target them as well…

I then headed to our room and secretly wrote a coded telegram, once written, I then gave it to a maid who is a member of the society and waited for a reply.

After a few hours, a reply came back with the maid handing me a short coded telegram letter, and opened it. After reading the contents, I was relieved as the society assured me that everything is in place but warned me that they cannot protect us at all times and there's always risks, which I knew and accepted, but it's always a relief knowing someone is protecting our children and us as well.

After finishing reading the telegram, I moved to the fireplace and tossed the telegram onto it, watching it burn before heading to my husband's office.

Now it's all up to fate whether we live or die.

Berlin, Germany

3 days after the initial assault on the port town of Bezverkhovo

June 27th, 1913

[Erika's POV]

"-reports stated that the Russians have suffered at least 5,000 casualties in the last 3 days after the initial Japanese assault."

I heard, as everyone stood up as I entered the meeting room where there's constant updates every day on the war between the Japanese and the Russians.

"Sit down, we have much to do after my graduation." They all nodded, as they congratulated me finishing the Prussian officer academy early and being promoted to Major as promised, I grabbed the report as I sat down and scanned through it, before opening my mouth.

"Any news on the situation of Bezverkhovo?" I inquired, as I am worried about the overall situation between the Japanese and the Russians, to which Visha reported.

"So far, the Russians have been pushed back as half the town has already been taken. It is only a matter of time before the town is fully occupied."

"And the Russians?"

"So far, they're holding well, but their logistics are taking a toll on how much the Japanese are throwing at them. So far, they're managing to hold since there's a couple of officers with experience that are holding the line."

"How about our third phase?"

"The Russians are still not in position to execute it, but they're getting there. Once they're in position and engaging, we will execute phase 3. We are also baffled on why the Russians are delaying it. We assume they're being cautious since they only have 10 Submarines in total that are combat effective and can pose a threat to the Japanese armada."

I nodded, as I grabbed another report and narrowed my eyes and asked Maurice, who was my other adjutant.

"Is this report accurate?"

"Yes, meine Führerin. The Archduke and Duchess are ready to leave to head for Sarajevo tomorrow."

"Any updates on the black hand?"

"So far we have captured 4, but they all have committed suicide with special means, even if we had removed anything that might cause them to commit suicide."

Maurice was stressed and annoyed by this, since the black hand is extreme and shall be dealt with as soon as possible.

So it's either early cyanide poisoning, or something else…perculiar…

"Keep me updated on the news Maurice, our priority right now is the absolute safety of Sophie. Archduke Franz is secondary. Do you understand?"

"Yes, meine Führerin. Our agents and spies have already entered Sarajevo and are watching any suspicious person wandering the area."

"I hope so Maurice, since if you fail, I'll have your job and your life. I do hope you know what's at stake here." I looked at him with 'i don't tolerate failures' look as I can kill him anytime I want and no one would remember him, not even history.

Maurice gulped as he nodded fearfully, as he left the room to execute my orders as quick as possible while we're back to discussing other reports.

"What are the Americans' stance on this war?" I inquired

Carline stood up, who was the head of managing the American society branch. "So far, they're neutral but want their merchant ship named 'Yorktown' to leave Vladivostok by any means necessary as they don't want any part of this. Additionally, they seem cautious of us having advanced arms and the president has allocated a budget to produce the same weapon technology as us."

So the Americans are beginning to divert from their own path huh. Seems their scared about being left behind. Understandable since after the civil war, they felt Europe was more advanced than them and wanted to create their own weapons that could top every European weapon in the world.

"Lastly, the organization known as the Anti-Saloon League has gained traction in Congress and the ban on alcohol has increased to 28 States. But most conservatives are fighting over this secretly, but Wayne Wheeler is pressuring them. So the policy or the amendment as it's called is expected to pass soon."

Huh. That is early, and at the same time an opportunity for us. I feel pity for the Americans, I truly do, but for they're suffering is our fortune. As one might say.

"What about the British?"

Carline shuffled some papers and grabbed the one she needed and spoke again

"Strangely, they are silent for now but are pushing for the Nordic countries to cut ties with us, as with Netherlands as it is a threat to the peace of Europe as they reasoned."

Mhm, tomorrow will decide the fate of Europe as peace is at the tipping point of being shattered thanks to the black hand and Kaiser Wilhelm rearming like crazy. I just hope when war starts, I just want the treaty of Versailles to be not that harsh since I don't plan for the central powers to win, but to try to achieve a white peace. It might take millions of men and women, but it's necessary to further our goals in controlling Germany in the future.

"And the french?" I inquired more, as I drank my coffee.

"Um, meine Führerin they have developed their secret projects well and have over dozens of tanks by now, especially their troop numbers. We have a rough guess, they have about this much." Carline handed me a statistic and rough numbers of the french army along with their ranks and Airforce.

I'm surprised they can even field this many…I won't be surprised if they defaulted unless their terms are ludicrously higher than the infamous Versailles treaty and demand more compensation from us, and effectively, defaulting our currencer way earlier than in my previous life. Then again, they're the french. They have had the right to be paranoid of us ever since the franco-prussian war.

"This might pose an issue to our plans in the future…." I muttered before speaking out loud.

"Keep me updated on the French government's stance and their army as well since we need to know what they're thinking and what they're moves are. Remember, this is a priority. We need to know they're every move, whether it is political or not. We need to know."

"Yes, meine Führerin. I shall see to it done in the next few weeks."

I nodded, as I looked at my half finished coffee as I finished it and stood up.

"Ladies and gentlemen, prepare for war. And may God have mercy on our souls."

With those words, I looked at everyone, who was surprised, shocked, determined, and resolute, and accepted. I absorbed every emotion and expression as they heard my words and all of them stood up and saluted.

"""Heil, Victoria! May God have mercy on our souls."""

I saluted them back, as our preparations have not yet been completed, but a good chunk of it is as I didn't expect the war to start a year earlier than intended, which pushed back my plans or safe to say, destroyed some of it and I'm forced to accelerate it since I need the Archduchess alive, and preferably Archduke Franz alive as well.

But his death needs to happen in order for these chain of events to unfold. Hence, my agents are tasked in trying to save him as best as they could before he can succumb to death due to the loss of blood. And simultaneously, arrest every black hand member and execute them for their assasstination attempt on the Archduchess and killing the Archduke.

Once these events play out, Europe will experience its first great war since the 30 year wars and the hundred year wars. Safe to say, my plans in saving as many civilians as possible are gonna be changing even for me. I just hope I'm gonna be deployed to the eastern front since even though I know geography in the west, I pretty much prefer the east since I was deployed there for almost 10 years due to me being stationed in Lithuania in my previous life and knowing Ukraine, Poland, and the 3 Slavic nations above Lithuania. 

Once all the members left except Visha and Maurice, I stood up and inquired on the progress on the bunker project, to which they replied that it's going smoothly but might be delayed since they wholeheartedly believed that a great war will happen since my predictions have been right so far.

I sighed as I dismissed after a brief talk and exited the meeting room and headed to the barracks I'm stationed at and fully introduce myself to my future comrade in arms and to the other officers who also graduated that were also stationed in the barracks as well.

All of the preparations are done…all we need to do now is wait. And hopefully all goes to plan, if not, then we are either more fucked, or less fucked. I think I'll go with the latter…

June 27th, 1913

Just 2 hours after this meeting.

An attack order has been given to the Russian Submariner Commander who is commanding 10 submarines to finally order an attack on the Japanese flotilla.

What he doesn't know is that this attack will set off a chain of events that will drag America and the British into this war earlier than intended before the assassination of Archduke Franz.

[Russian Submariner Commander Maksim Kiselev's POV]

I have been a submariner for only 5 years, and ever since I took this position, I've always been proud of it, happy even. But now 5 years passed, I have grown accustomed to my fellow navy men hating fellow submariners like me who think submarines are weak and that battleships are the future of every navy, which is true but I can prove them wrong, I can prove them wrong since I have studied in half of my life of what a submarine can do and what they can't do in a actual war.

"Prepare to depart. We will crush the Japanese, and show them the might of the Russian navy! We as submariners will show them that the motherland still fights! Our navy still bites back! And our will that never wavers in the face of the enemy! ura!"

"""UURAA"""

With that, all 10 submarines departed at 1:30 pm to head to the designated destination to set up an attack formation for the Japanese armada. 

After a tense few hours, they finally arrived and the commander spoke to the radio.

"Get ready to sink these bastards to the bottom of the ocean. Prepare to fire the torpedoes." Commander Maksim said to his CO, who quickly executed my order.

"Yes, commander."

"On my mark, we will fire all of our torpedoes in rapid succession. We will give them no time to react, nor time to escape."

As I waited for the other submarines to be in position, I looked down to my watch that showed 2:10 PM and waited with baited breath as he knew that this was their only shot at sinking these ships that were bombarding their comrades which in all honesty, angered him since the last war reduced their naval power in the Pacific to near non existence and frankly it humiliated them since the japanese barbarians outsmarted them.

"Commander, all the submarines are in position and are ready to fire on your order."

I nodded my head as I announced "we will begin our attack in 10 minutes. Be fully prepared for anti mines that are gonna be dropped by destroyers, and spotters that will hunt you down."

"Yes, commander."

Now we need to wait for the perfect moment to strike the japanese and make them pay for ever attacking our motherland.

What Commander Maksim didn't knew, is that another submarine along with the hasty departure of the British and American merchant ship is in the crossfire, and with the right timing, Erika can put all the blame on both sides along with their own German merchant ship sinking as well. A perfect alibi if you will, along with explosives set on the keel of the German merchant ship named Wunder.

Meanwhile, on Spirit and Siberia's POVs 

Same time and date.

Near the supposed attack point, three merchant ships are lining up perfectly in order for a disguised Russian torpedo attack on 3 vessels.

It's surprising that the Russians are falling for this blatant provocation due to the Japanese bombarding Vladivostok and the port towns which angered them. Heh, can't say how good their discipline is after this when all of this shit goes through.

"Siberia, is our submarine in position?"

"Yes, we just got confirmation from Captain Koenig. He will fire when the Russians release their torpedoes."

Spirit nodded, as phase 3 is still currently in progress as it all relies on the Russians to start it. And to be frank, he is a bit nervous since in his mind, what if the Russians didn't fire or fired late? But all of those negative thoughts went out the window as he has received an update that he wanted to hear

"The Russians have released their torpedoes! I repeat the Russians have released their torpedoes!"

"Music to my ears…Siberia signal Captain Koenig now."

Siberia nodded as he sent the order to Captain Koenig, who fired 4 torpedoes  in succession.

2 is aimed at the British and American merchant ships, the 3rd one is for our own merchant ship, and the last one is aimed at the Russian commander's submarine.

"Look at them go…" Siberia commented as he saw the torpedo tail heading towards their designated targets and moments later watched the explosions going off in rapid succession as the film crew secretly filmed the disaster unfolding before their eyes as Spirit ordered the captain for them to move immediately since they're task was already done as multiple explosions still rocked the merchant ship along with some of the japanese ship that's exploding like fireworks.

It must've hit the magazine room… Spirit thought, as the Russians were shocked as well and went full on retaliation to try and sink the entire Japanese armada only to suffer 9 submarines being sunk along with the commander's submarine as only 1 escaped.

For the merchant ships, only a few survived with some being captured by the Japanese and some swam to the shores of Russia.

One thing that's echoing in the Russian and Japanese high command is that, this is way above their pay grade and the political battlefield is only just starting for the entire world.

Apologies for the super delayed chapter. Was busy doing school and helping my family. And life happens and I tend to forget to update this. But here you go!

Another chapter nearing the great war, 2 chapters away that is since I'm escalating it at a fast pace now with each nations reaction to this incident and to the future assassination of Archduke Franz.

Anyways I'm open to suggestions and recommendations to further spice things up and I think I'll make the chapters shorter now since I feel people don't like to read long chapters but we'll see in the far future.

I can't promise a stable update but I promise you all I won't abandon this. Thank you for all the support and love!

This is Erika now signing off! (And hopefully updating this as soon as possible when I have time)

60