Chapter 30 The inevitability
2.4k 18 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Winter Palace, St.Petersburg, Russian Empire

Just an hour after the Merchant ships were sunk.

June 28th, 1913 9:13 PM

[Tsar Nicholas's POV]

"Can you repeat that again Sergei…" I said, ready to explode and destroy everything around me as I heard Sergei announced that the submarine flotilla that was stationed in Vladivostok sunk a British and American merchant ship that was exiting the docks.

Sergei was wiping his forehead as it was covered with sweat and frustration as the matter at hand as he repeated the report.

"Th-the reports are accurate your majesty, both 'The Curator' and the 'Yorktown' sank just a few hours ago… I myself couldn't believe it. It was also reported that a German merchant ship named 'Forkshire' was also sunk."

"Was there anything suspicious and please tell me why is a German merchant ship also in the line of fire…"

I rubbed my temples, getting ready to explode as I clenched my fists in anger.

"The reports say that the 'Forkshire docked a week ago prior to the war. And they wanted to leave along with the American and British merchants, thinking it would be safe, your majesty…"

From there on, I just stood up and threw the ashtray to the side of my office, shattering it as I tried to contain my rage as best as I could.

"HAVE THIS INVESTIGATED IMMEDIATELY. I DON'T CARE HOW, JUST DO IT."

"Bu-but your majesty, the British, Americans, and German embassy demand why their ships were sunk and if they don't receive an answer, they'll impose sanctions or worse…" Sergei, thinking that if another nation joined the war, they would be doomed. 

I cursed the British mentally as even though we're allies on paper, it tends to be muddy when involving trade and diplomatic issues.

I sat down and grabbed my pipe and lighted it, exhaling as I deeply pondered on where to go from here. I looked at my picture of my family as slowly but surely, the Russian empire is crumbling and he can't stop it. He puffed a smoke again and looked at Sergei and gave an order.

"Try to find a way to compensate the Americans and British. For the Germans, just say it was an accident and we're deeply sorry for any losses that incur in this tragedy. But they shouldn't be in the warzone to begin with. And yes Sergei I know, our reputation in Europe will be down for this, but it's a risk I'm willing to take since the Japanese have already occupied Bezverkhovo. And I can't risk them occupying an important port."

"Yes, your majesty. And shall…I arrange a safe passage for your family?" Sergei also knew that my reign isn't gonna be long, but he an I trust each other since we've been through thick and thin as we both understand what's at stake as I said.

"Take care of my family Sergei. Please bring them to safety, as you can see, our empire isn't exactly stable due to other elements wanting to take power from me, even killing me and my family. So I beseech you as my long time friend and advisor. Please guide my family along with the remaining loyalists we have."

"Even the Kremlin is not safe, your majesty?"

"No. They're too deeply rooted to be removed, and it'll start an internal civil war if I remove them from power. Thank god some of the army is still loyal to me."

Sergei nodded as he replied. "I will protect them with my life, your majesty. We will start the process and arrange an unmarked route and escort for your family. But your majesty, you're family won't take it well when they realize you would stay behind."

I stood up as I set down my pipe on my desk and looked outside my window for a moment before speaking. "I know Sergei. I know. But I hope my children will understand, and so will my wife. I can die happy knowing that my family is safe and not fates to die and be butchered here.

"I understand, your majesty." Sergei bowed deeply one last time as he headed for the door and stopped for a moment to glance at me as I stared back at him and genuinely smiled as Sergei, my longtime friend also smiled and left my office.

This will be probably the last time I see him. Now, once my families safe, I can do what I do to ensure the survival of our empire and my legacy. I won't let some upstart nor some other country ruin it.

I sat down and grabbed the phone and called someone who's loyal to me to a fault, and willing to die for the empire, and for me as well. After a few dial tones, someone picked up on the underside.

A rough, but recognizable accent answered my call "Your majesty, what do you need from me."

I smiled, knowing that even if I die, I would leave the so called communists and my future enemies flabbergasted and shocked

"Prepare your troops to standby and be ready on my order."

"Is it time then, your majesty?"

"Close, but it will be soon."

"Then I'll go ahead and prepare. God bless our empire and to our tsar." He said, before hanging up as I did my daily duties as if nothing happened, but inside, I was grinning like a madman who has nothing to lose now once my families safe.

Buckingham Palace, London, British Empire

June 29th, 1913 2:10 AM

[3rd Person POV]

"Have the Russians responded to our demands of an investigation?" King George demanded, as he was rudely woken up by his butler along with several officers who came rushing to his office after King George sobered himself a bit and read the report.

"So far, they'll look into it and told us that the family members that were on the merchant ship will be compensated and also told us that the investigation will be done as soon as possible."

"Mhm. And what was the American reaction to this?" King George inquired.

"Mixed, your majesty, as their people wanted justice for what happened on their merchant ship and its crew."

"It has all become a shit show huh…" King George muttered, as he set down the reports and grabbed his temple for a bit and glanced back at the Prime Minister Asquith who was also frustrated at this incident, not just because of the deaths of British civilians and sailors, it was just because that Russia doesn't respect the authority nor power that the British empire has.

"Your majesty, we must show to the Russians that we must be respected, and not a pushover since this incident happened on their territory."

"Yet it is war, accidents happen, Prime Minister Asquith."

"Regardless of the accident, your majesty. They must know not to mess with us."

"I understand that Prime Minister Asquith, but our priority right now is to give the people who died in the sinking some reprieve and compensation."

King George continued on

"Now, let's move onto the next issue at hand, any new news with the Triple alliance?" He inquired, since he was more worried about them than the Russians' plight, of course he cares for his cousin, but his country and his people come first more than anything else.

"The latest news we have right now is the Archduke's and Duchess' visit to Sarajevo that is scheduled at 9 AM today and we confirmed that they'll be tensions and a possibility of an ambush and attempt on the Archduke's life. Should we tell them, your majesty?"

"No, they already knew the risks. But Europe right now is on the brink of war, and I fear Serbia will spark it. I just hope that I'm wrong, but send observers just in case."

"Yes, your majesty."

With that, Asquith left and ordered the army to further observe the battle between the Russians and the Japanese as Asquith doesbt like the empire taking side for now as his majesty's words were right, the triple alliance is the priority right now.

"I just hope that the fucking serbians doesn't do anything stupid…war is the last thing we need." Muttered King George before grabbing a cup of tea and sipping it as he couldn't sleep now with this looming over his head.

Schönbrunn Palace, Hietzing Vienna, Austro-Hungarian Empire.

June 29th, 1913 8:40 AM

[Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, Wife of Archduke Franz's POV]

"Honey, are you sure it's safe?" I said, after looking at the car we were riding in, which was open with no cover. Which worried me to death as the latest reports from the society has given me that an attempt on our lives is 100% accurate, which terrified me.

"Of course it is. Look at our escort even. No one would dare mess with us."

Referring to the 6 other cars along with 2 military trucks escorting us, which made me calm down somewhat but I knew something would go wrong and just held on.

An agent nicknamed 'Hollow' who was our luggage manager pass beside me and handed me a small paper, to which I held it tightly within my hands and looked around to make sure no one sees it, even my husband didn't saw it, which relieved me somewhat as I got on the car and quickly read the note as I waited for my husband.

After reading it quickly, I quickly folded the paper and buried it deep inside the seat beside me as the letter re-assured me somewhat that our trip would be safe and nothing would happen.

After my husband finished talking to someone who I assumed was the one in charge of escorting us, he got on and closed the door and held my hand gently.

"Don't worry my dear Sophie, I will not let anything happen to you. I have asked the one in charge of our escort to be extra vigilant and careful of our surroundings."

I nodded as I smiled at Franz, god I love this man and I myself can't imagine losing him and leaving our children fatherless as we finally departed at 9:00 AM and expected to arrive at Sarajevo in 20 minutes or so as the trip would be fairly long.

As we continued on, I glanced at everything around me and our surroundings and hoped it would stay beautiful even if me and my husband passed on, is what I thought.

"Franz, will war happen if someone does try to assassinate us?" I asked Franz directly, who went silent as he glanced at the countryside thinking.

After a moment, he replied with a simple word that put a pit on my stomach.

"Yes Sophie. If our conspirators, and our would be killers successfully killed us. It would be war. A war that cannot be stopped. It could only continue on and escalate, and I hope to God it won't come to that…" Franz was also terrified since he knew how war is and how ugly it is, and he's doing everything he can to see to the serbians and their problems as best as he can. But it was pointless as they're past the point of reconciling with us and I fear what Franz said will come true.

"We will survive this Franz. We will, for our children, and for our country…"

"Yes, yes we will…" as my husband said, we finally arrived at Sarajevo. And what greeted us was Serbian people rioting and throwing slurs and whatnot at us, as we could only watch with a resolute expression as we were trained to not show weaknesses in front of the people.

But what I didn't knew is that this would be the last time I would see my husband alive, and that I would grew to hate the serbians to the core to demand war itself to descend upon them for what they did to me and my husband.

Meanwhile, in one of the black hand meeting rooms 

20 Minutes before the arrival of the Archduke and Duchess.

"Remember men, the Archduke must die, but let the Duchess live for he has not done us wrong."

"Why not kill them both?" One argued.

"Because she is not our target, and nor a political pawn or use to the Austrians. Hence avoid her if you can, if I see you shoot her, I will kill you myself." Dragutin threatened his subordinates who nodded.

But the few members only nodded, but decided to not follow Dragutins orders as in their kind, they needed to both die as even though the duchess was innocent, she was still accountable and an obstacle to Serbian independence.

"Let's move Gentlemen. Let god judge us in the future for our actions are just, and our independence is riding on this. For the black hand." Dragutin said.

"""For the Black Hand"""

Dragutin and the others then moved to positions and waited for the convoy to arrive, as they would only have one shot at this and if they were to die, they would die knowing that they fought for ser is and for it's independance.

Not knowing that, with the Archduke's Death would spark the great war that would vilify and shun the black hand for even starting it in the future.

One more chapter or two I think before the great war fully kicks off...

And it's me again! Your friendly author here.

Sorry for the late update once again and I have shortened the chapters to only 2000-2500 words each so it's easy to read since some people complained about my long chapters being like an essay (when I suck at sentencing haha)

But here it is! War is on the horizon, and with this assassination, things will change in Europe forever since Sophie will lead the empire with a vengeance once she has awoken.

Once again, I'm open to suggestions and recommendations in the comments! So see you soon when I update again. 

Can't say how long I'll update this again but I promise you all, I won't abandon this and still countinue to update it.

And this is Erika now Signing off!

57