Chapter 34 Life is so Fickle and Fragile
5.4k 30 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lviv, Ukraine, Russian Empire (German Occupied)

November 16th, 1913 

9:20 AM

[Major Erika's POV]

Sometimes I wonder how this era of soldiers handles stress and boredom. And I often wonder if I'm also suffering from early signs of PTSD since we lost many good men and women while advancing towards Russian lands. Even with all the precautions I've made, we still suffered casualties. Which pisses me off a bit, but it's no use crying over spilled milk.

I just have to be vigilant and keep my battalion alive as I ordered them to dig trenches as we successfully occupied Lviv after 2 weeks of grueling exchange between the Russians and Ukrainians.

A bit more east is where we established the trench lines that will be 8-10 feet deep and I also ordered some of the battalions to have makeshift rooms to act as an insulator in some areas of the trenchline.

I stopped for a moment to take a look at what's in front of me, just heavy snow, and black craters from heavy artillery and a haze of white. But I know the enemy is only 300-500 meters away and will not hesitate to kill us all as I ordered shifts to take place in order to cover this side of the trench.

"These fucking Russians" one of the soldiers said, as I bitterly smiled at the comment since I know he isn't wrong, but in the next few decades, it would be way worse if the reds take over.

Even worse is that I can't kill Lenin since it would cause a power vacuum within Russia and even if I successfully assassinated him, and installed a puppet monarchy, the Russian people won't listen and will just devolve into communist ideas. On the other hand, they will also see Lenin as a martyr who died for their cause and start a revolution anyways.

I don't know which is scarier, a broken Russia hell-bent on annihilating us, or a communist Russia, where they're still hell-bent on annihilating us but it's contained somewhat.

I know my logic is somewhat flawed, but that's how I think about it as I was thanking my adjutant who handed me coffee as I heard the constant heavy exchange of artillery between us and the Russians.

"Major, when will this war end?" One of the soldiers, a young man, I presume about 17 years old, feared for his life as I looked at him with a sad expression as I replied with a somber voice.

"Not anything soon Corporal. Not anytime soon, our enemy won't let any of us have their lands, nor give up, and most importantly lay down their arms. If we were them, we would also make the same decision. So our advance will not end for a long while. Same with the western front."

Everyone stopped to listen to my words as I continued on.

"And I'm pretty sure you all heard that the western front is more brutal than here. We are just fighting to survive and live another day so we can go home to our families, or just fight for what's right. Especially for our Fatherland. Our home."

I sipped my coffee and ended my words with this.

"So fight on my comrades. We must survive this ordeal, and when we do, I'll get you all a beer and some food to enjoy ja?"

They all cheered at my words as I've risen the morale a bit, after my endearing speech, and was about to head to the temporary command post deep inside the trenches, I received news that the Russians will attempt a new offensive by breaking through our lines.

I quickly organized every men and women and ordered bayonets to be attached in case of close quarters combat, since our defenses aren't exactly tight and strong as we only just got here just a few days ago.

Me and my battalion and the others waited with baited breath as we looked in front of us.

A snowy field as snow started to fall in October, which doubled our labor in making trenches as the ground hardened with ice and snow. Especially on cold nights, where we experienced what it's like to be in the harsh Russian winter.

Thankfully, I prepared winter clothes for my battalion and myself along with other battalions as I anticipated it and so far, the uniforms are quite good and well insulated along with my strict regulations on getting at least 3 pairs of socks to avoid getting trench foot.

By then, trench foot was very unpopular in all sides, especially in the western front as I've heard from my spies that trench foot has started to be a problem and my suggestions or advice wasn't reaching there yet since they all believed it was the bodies of the soldiers surrounding that place along with rats and other small creatures that feast on the dead.

Although in my opinion that it contributed to the problems, it wasn't the main cause as I know how plagues start along with the worst kind of disease to offer on all fronts.

"Here they come…" one of the soldiers on top of the ladders muttered as our surroundings were eerily quiet. All I could hear was the sound of everyone's breath, the howl of the wind blowing, the snow falling on the ground, and the screams and heavy footsteps of our enemies as they were given an order to charge on our defenses.

I looked around me, and they looked at me as well. I calmed myself down for a bit as I started my speech for the soldiers and to raise morale.

"men and women of the Fatherland! It is our sacred duty to be the protectors and fangs of the Reich! You still stand as the forebears and proud soldiers of the Reich! Our will and tenacity will never shake against the Russian tide! For it is their will and pride that will be broken this day! Give no mercy to your enemy, for your enemy will not grant you mercy! They will kill you, no matter what you believe in, hope, nor love! For this is war!"

As the sound of the Russian soldiers closing in along with the start of heavy artillery exchange, I intensified my speech by raising my voice.

"SO SHOW THEM OUR FANGS! SHOW THEM THAT WE ARE NOT WEAK! THAT WE CAN FACE THEM HEAD ON AND NEVER COWER IN FRONT OF AN ENEMY! FOR THE EMPEROR! FOR THE REICH!"

all of the soldiers shouted, as morale was high and their will hardened as i and the other officers gave an order to open fire.

And suddenly, in all my years and my previous life, I have never seen such intense gunfire in my life as our side unleashed hell for the Russians who were charging in. Knowing their deaths wouldn't matter as long as they can get close to our trench line.

"Keep firing, don't let them get close! Do not falter!" I shouted as multiple soldiers in my peripheral vision were shot. Some in the shoulders, hands, and even in the ears. But some soldiers who were shot in the head fell down like a sack of potatoes as the soldier next to the dead, didn't think twice and manned the now empty spot and resumed firing with a vengeance in their hearts.

"Clear the bodies! Move them! You! Keep the ammunition supplies fresh!"

I kept shouting as I climbed up to a empty ladder spot to look  what's happening in front, and what I saw was carnage and destruction as multiple Russian soldiers were still charging in as they hopped their dead comrades, while some tried to zigzag to avoid our machine guns.

While some successfully threw grenades and successfully killed some of the soldiers as the gap was quickly filled to avoid the Russians from entering our trench line.

This is not looking good since if I recall, the 4th army of the Russian empire should be ordered to advance through here at all costs. And that's about 600-700 thousand soldiers. And half of them will be used as cannon fodder, which is a problem.

While they're not fully trained, they can be annoying at times, and sometimes scared and I can understand why since the system within the Russian empire is quickly collapsing. And the Tsar, along with 2 wars, has already accelerated it to a point that a defeat in the eastern front would spell disaster for him.

Not that I care since my priority right now is my survival and the survival of the men and women under me.

"Tell the artillery to intensify their bombardment!"

"B-but major, it's danger close" one of my adjutants hesitantly said.

I grabbed his uniform and pulled him in front of me as I repeated my order. 

"order them now. I'll take responsibility. If we don't, we will be overrun and we will lose this position. Do you understand Leutnant Grantz?"

"Ye-yes Major!" He saluted, then ran off to the nearest Radio man to order a close artillery bombardment near our position.

As I was waiting for the bombardment to drop, I looked at the front and grimaced as the Russians were charging up a new wave again as I shouted.

"Do not falter! Survive! Endure! Think of your families! Your Fatherland! So fight! Fight to the last man and woman!" I shouted, as one of the Russians got on our trenchline and opened fired, killing one of our comrades in the crossfire, he was killed immediately, but the ongoing wave of Russians is making it hard to mount a counter offensive as of the moment as from a birds eyes view, our trench line was in a zigzag pattern spanning over 100 km.

Although not connected, some of the newer trench lines have bad coverage and are not yet set up as the old ones that are linked from the rest of the trench lines that were built.

And from the sky, the wave of Russians looks like ants rushing on the trenchline like it wants to get out.

I cursed under my breath as I grabbed my shovel and pistol as rifles were useless at the moment since the Russians were invading our trench lines.

"Ahh help me!!! Fck!!"

"goddammit!! Die die!!"

"DIE YOU FUCKER!"

"Fucking Russians just die!"

"I wanna go home mommy!!"

"Fuck this is hell on earth why am I here…"

"I miss my children god…"

All the shouts I've heard from the soldiers as I killed another Russian that was on top of a soldier under my command.

"Th-thank you major…"

I cut him off by shouting "STOP DAZING AND FIGHT! DON'T STOP! AVENGE YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS! AVENGE YOUR COMRADES! LIVE ANOTHER DAY! GIVE THE RUSSIAN BASTARDS HELL!"

He snapped out of it as he grabbed his rifle and continued to lend help whenever he can

"Corporal! Cover that side!" I shouted as I head further east into the trenchline as I reloaded my pistol, and readied my bloodied shovel and moved to another sector of the trench line that was under siege by the Russians.

I knew our side of the trench wasn't secured yet, but it's not as hard to defend as of now. Hence I decided to move to the other trench line that required my help as I ignored the shouts, curses and gunshots as I ran, firing my pistol on the unsuspecting Russians as they tried to point their rifles at me.

But at that moment, the German soldiers that were on that trench line immediately grabbed their rifles and fired back at the Russians who were distracted and killed them.

I shouted "how many are left on your side!" I inquired, reloading my pistol yet again, and holstering it along with my shovel to grab my rifle and cocking it before focusing my attention on the still charging Russians and gunning them down.

"Only 12 out of 30 Major…"

"Damn it…man the lines and keep your focus on the enemy." I ordered, as I heard a loud thud, signaling the artillery from our side has started to bombard in front of us, which relieved me somewhat but I kept my vigilance as I ran past the soldiers and headed to the other trench line.

As I was passing soldiers and dead bodies in the trenches, a Russian soldier suddenly jumps in the trench in front of me and tried to point the rifle at my direction in order to shoot me, but I immediately responded by docking to a nearby concrete slab that is used for protection in case of trench invaders and the shot pinged against the concrete, nearly missing me by a few seconds.

My adrenaline pumped into my body as my mind went into overdrive as I try to calm myself down for just a few seconds before grabbing my rifle and firing blindly at the direction the Russian soldier was in, all I heard was a scream and a thud as I took a peek to see him trying to breathe through his punchered neck.

I quickly moved up to him and pointed the rifle at his head, and for a split second he looked at me and looked as if he wanted to live and tried to scream. But I immediately ended his life and moved on as there was no time to mourn for the dead nor the enemies.

How many fucking soldiers are they committing to this side. I cursed as it was already an hour has passed, and the Russians are still continuing to hammer down our position. And by my adjutants report, we already have lost 1,390 soldiers due to the sheer mass the Russians were charging in. 

"Major, high command states that reinforcements will arrive in an hour." 

"AN HOUR?!" I tried not to scream, but my emotions got to me and I was half tired at that point as it was a miracle that we are still holding the line in the first place as I estimate that over 4 Russian divisions are adamant in kicking us out of Lviv.

Looking at our situation, it isn't good as the lines we have are stretched as it is. I'll have to make do and hold the line and keep my men alive…

Another thud of enemy artillery shook the temporary HQ that we have as dirt and sand rained down on us as I looked at the other officer named Henry who was a 1st Leutnant.

"Leutnant Henry, secure as many ammunition boxes as possible along with keeping our medic alive."

"Yes, Kommandant. But what about the other lines that are currently under attack?"

I looked down for a moment as my surroundings were a bit chaotic as the screams of my comrades and the enemies echoed in the air as I tried to calm down again as I focused on what I needed to say since while we were speaking loudly due to the ongoing artillery exchange and heavy machine gun fire.

"Notify the other officers to also hold the line. We can't afford to retreat since lviv is very important for us." I said, as another artillery shook the ground above us. It was quite near I thought, as I continued speaking.

"Also, once reinforcements arrive, tell them to reinforce our side first since the Russians are halfway succeeding in punching through our lines."

"Yes, Kommandant!" With that, Leutnant Henry left the temporary HQ as he ran as fast as he could or ride a motorcycle or bike to the Real HQ 15 KM behind us.

"Can we hold Major?" I looked at Visha, who was worried, as she knew how dire our situation is. Since the Russians are pouring out men and women into the slaughterhouse, we have to contribute to their inevitable deaths. I answered half spiritedly since I was mentally tired.

"With our casualties, it depends. And it also depends on how many men and women that have to be sacrificed for retaking Lviv…what's our latest Intel on the enemy?" I asked another officer who was in charge of reconnaissance.

"As of now the 4th and 7th Russian army are currently planning to encircle our position from the north and south. So far, the 17th and 24th Army divisions are holding the north and south, but we assume that the 24th army would face a major offensive since the Russians are gonna use cavalry to punch through."

"Can they hold?" I said, looking at the officer, which in turn replied. 

"It is a high chance that they'll hold but there's no guarantee since the 7th Russian division will be reinforced relatively soon by the 12th Russian division."

"Does the kommandant of the 24th realize this?"

"Yes, Major. Although, high command is relatively pressured as of now since they're pulling some of the reserves to the north, and I'm sure you've heard about the border incident between Norway and Sweden."

"Yes, I've heard. Clearly it was the British and they want to clearly weaken us more. Thankfully, the Swedish king is reasonable at least, but we can't say for sure…" I said, goraning at the prospect of another front opening in the north.

Meanwhile, on the other side, the Russian command is stationed just 20 KM to Lviv.

"Comrade General, we already lost around 100,000 men and we still haven't broken through the German lines." one of the officers under General Mikhail Alekseyev said.

"Has our artillery been pounding them for a while now? How come they haven't broken through?" Mikhail said, angry and disappointed since his orders were to retake Lviv, which wasn't going so well as they had planned it would be. With the war in the east, they already have enough logistical problems and now with this war happening on our doorstep, we enacted a conscription, which wasn't a good idea overall, but it was for the defense of the motherland as the officer replied to General Mikhail's question.

"No, Comrade General. But we will ensure that we will kick out the Germans from Lviv. But another issue has arisen, General."

"What is it?"

"Our logistical lines are starting to get strained and some of the conscripts have deserted. There's even rumora of a rebellion in Kiev and in Moscow proper."

Mikhail grimaced at he glanced to his fellow friend Aleksei Brusilov and asked him

"My friend Aleksei, any ideas on how to weaken the Germans?"

Aleksei glanced at the map in front of him, and to Mikhail and said after thinking.

"We need to surround Lviv with the South and North. A two pronged attack. Our Cavalry may be useless, but it can be used for Scouting purposes and intelligence gathering. Furthermore, we can use heavy artillery to soften up the Germans for our soldiers to break through the south of Lviv" 

"What about the north?" Mikhail asked

"We need to use the terrain to our advantage and punch through the 17th German Army Division with quick precision. It would take a lot of men…but I think it's a sacrifice worth taking risk in order for the Germans to retreat to the Polish borders and retake Lviv. The problem is the 8th Army stationed at the outskirts of Lviv in the center.

We already lost from the reports say, around 110,000 men by now and they're holding strong. We need to further pressure them in order to keep the 8th army from being reinforced." Aleksei said.

"Then I'll order the 31st and 29th Division to reinforce the 15th and 16th that's assaulting the 8th German division." Mikhail said, after thinking about the pros and cons of such an offensive.

"I guess that'll do for now. How are the other fronts?" Aleksei asked Lavr Kornilov who was an intelligence officer and a general at that to which Lavr replied with a grim tone.

"So far, they're holding for now. But we are slowly being pushed back. On top of that, morale is slow, logistics are being strained as it is, and desertion is a problem."

Leave stated some of the most important issues at hand and on top of that he continued to speak out his thoughts. 

"With another round of conscription, I fear the people will rebel and refuse. Adding to that problem is that the French and British are facing the exact same problem but are not willing to help us." Lavr grimaced, as he thought joining the entente was a good idea generally to isolate the alliance between Germany and Austria-Hungary.

"How many reserves do we have left?" Mikhail asked Lavr. Which he replied with

"About 2 million. And they're only half trained at that. The issue is the supplies and ammunition. We are quickly running out. We didn't anticipate the timing of it. Right now, the factories are on full time working around the clock to make due. But right now, it is not enough."

"Double the conscription." Mikhail said, which surprised everyone in the room. 

"Doubling it…are you sure Mikhail?" Lavr asked one more time to be sure.

"Yes, we need all the manpower to push the enemies of the motherland back. Just double it. The longer we survive the chances of us winning this war will increase. This meeting is adjourned." With that, Mikhail stood up and saluted, as well as his fellow generals and colleagues before leaving the meeting room.

Mikhail was the last to leave as he knew in his mind that all they can do now is to bleed the enemy and push them back as long as possible.

God help us all. Mikhail thought, as he was heading to the Frontline to the north to visit the one commanding the 42nd Division that reportedly suffered around half the casualties in the early months of the war.

Back to Erika's POV and the ongoing Offensive of the Russian Army

2 hours in

I'm surprised we're still holding at this point. But thanks to high command, the reinforcements arrived on time and we were able to evacuate some of the injured to the rear and remove the dead bodies that accumulated near our trenches including our enemies. I'm not sure how long this offensive will be, but I'm already feeling the fatigue and frustration. I need to quicken the design of the new winter coats along with new regulations for uniforms when I get back to Berlin.

"Major, high command has ordered us to reinforce the defenses here and hold out for a bit more until they can send additional troops."

"And how many are they sending?" I rubbed my face as I was tired mentally and physically but I kept my stoic face as I waited for one of my officers to reply.

"3 Divisions Major. That's all they can spare with an additional 2 artillery battalions."

"That's good news I've heard in awhile." I chuckled as another round of artillery exchange was ongoing as I felt the ground shake, I held on to the side of the table for a bit as I felt like an earthquake was happening all around me as I asked for an hourly report from the other fronts from Visha 

"We have lost around 82,000 Major. High Command wasn't happy about it from what I've heard as they wanted to push further into Russia."

For fucksake, I'm already getting pissed at this near impossible orders, but we have to make do since I'm temporarily in command of 3 battalions and I'm already fucking facing my line nearly collapsing multiple lines. Thankfully, we've held on but that miracle won't last. Should I call in my tanks and bring our new equipment here…? No..no that would be dumb. My plan would be scrapped if that were to happen.

"This is why I hate the old ways…" I muttered before ordering some of the officers who are still active.

"Keep the morale high, and don't forget to treat every soldier with enough food and clothes to warm up. I'll handle the equipment shortage and supplies. Right now the order of winter equipment is on its way and we will use that to our advantage."

I said, since my troops having these equipment has already shown its usefulness and the other battalions also wanted it. And if we need to survive this hellhole, I need to give them the edge that they can get.

"Jawohl, Kommandant. Although kommandant what should I tell command that we aren't advancing?"

"Tell them if we advance, more of us will die in the process without proper equipment. I'm saving the lives of my soldiers under my command and others. But if they insist on it, the casualty rate would reach in the thousands. And we have already lost 83,000 by now repelling the offensive of the Russians. So we are hunkering down and waiting for winter to pass. Tell them that and my name as well. They'll know who suggested it. You're dismissed."

The Communications officer saluted before relaying my words to high command via radio

"Fucking Russians…don't they ever learn to value human resources…" I muttered before getting back to work and organizing the trench lines we've established along the Lviv outskirts.

Let's just hope no more problems pop up back home….I just jinxed myself didn't I. I sighed before getting back to work.


First of I apologize if I've been on hiatus for almost weeks of no update. 


Just something happened that made me stop for awhile and I kinda lost passion for a bit countinuing but right now I've regain my passion and started to write again. I will do my best to make this at least a decent novel that everyone will love to read and although it's cringy all that matters is that you my readers will enjoy it. And I as well enjoy writing and making this world alive through my writing.


I'm open to suggestions and recommendations once again and hope to see you relatively soon in the endt chapter as I'm finding hard to structure the pacing well. So forgive me if it's fragmented or bad in this chapter.


Once again, this is Erika now signing off!


60