Chapter 56: Time Lies
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 56: Time Lies

Albert, a researching historian, is onto something that will get his small-time career out of the shallow waters, and into the big sea. Yet, does he have what it takes, to see his discovery to the end?

In a time when dark lords and demon lords infest Florifel, I must be strong. No way, in Hell, will I let the discovery of the century pass me by. What is this discovery, one might ask?

I think that the Lich Lord, Joe, is back in Florifel. How exactly, seeing as he died centuries ago, I do not know? All I heard are rumors. So, I will begin with writing this journal. Wish me luck, whoever finds it.  

Day 1:

I make it to the Island of the Forsaken. As some historical documents point out, this was once the site of more than one dead Hero of Ultimate Fate. The demon lord, Marius, he…

[This part has been left blank, and later, the journal has been found wet.]

Albert, now without a journal, tries to go home. Only to be met by two mermen, with matching frowns.

"What are you doing on our island?" The more handsome one asks me, and I blink at my sinking journal. Does he not know that this is a special order, and it costed an arm and a leg?

"I just want to meet with the Lich Lord," I just hope that I am convincing… and that the two don't know about my bottle with holy water. I lunge at my bag, and take out the water. I uncork it, and then throw it in with the two. They don't look amused.

"Look here, you, we don't litter around here," the plainer of the two says, arms crossed on his chest.

Oh, now this is awkward.

"So sorry, I thought that one of you is the Lich Lord," I know that this is no excuse for my poor behavior, so I take out a bottle with scotch. "Let me make it up to you."

"We don't drink," the plainer one says, and then dives into the water. The handsome one scoffs at me for one last time, and then smirks.

"Beware of the squirrel," he dives as well, and then I am left alone.

Huh? Beware of the squirrel? Just what did they…

I feel something crash at the back of my head, and fall down. Darkness welcomes me in its warm embrace.

12 hours later…

I wake up, and see a snow-white squirrel tending to a small fire. I blink at that. Just from where did it show up?

"You are asking the wrong questions, of the wrong people," ok, there is just one talking squirrel in the world. This must be sir Reginald the Fluffy.

"Sir knight, I meant no offense, when I asked the locals about the Lich Lord. I know now, that I should have asked you, directly. Except, I had no idea that you were on the island. If you don't mind me asking, why are you here?" A little bluntness is appreciated by almost every knight. After all, they are all war hounds. The squirrel scrunches up his nose at me.

"People like you should stop snooping around Joe. He made mistakes, but is now happy. You are to leave, tomorrow. I will make sure a ship comes to pick you up," with that, the squirrel throws another log into the fire.

I luxuriate in the warmth. Even on this tropical island, the winters can get unpleasant. Yet, one thing still bothers me.

"Yeah, but is he back?" Sir Reginald glares at me, and then picks up a stick. With one swift jump, the squirrel is next to me, his stick pointing at my left eye. I stand up, as if burned.

"You will stop asking questions, and go wait at the beach for the ship," the squirrel commands. I nod, not wanting to piss off something that killed a dark lord. Even if that happened centuries ago.

On shaky legs, I make it back to the beach. I see the two men wrapped around each other, trading kisses. They must have not seen me because they don't stop.

With a heated face, I hide behind a rock. The last thing I want, is for them to notice me here, and accuse me of spying during their private moment.

I spent the night behind the rock, while listening to the sound of the most ancient sport of all. Man, those two really have some stamina. When I finally hear them swim away, I get from behind the rock.

The horn of a ship makes me look at the horizon. There it is, no bigger than a yacht. It will do.

Now, I might have not gotten the story I came in here for, but I bet, I will be able to sell another one to the yellow press:

Sir Reginald and the two Gay Mermen.

What is the harm, anyway? They still have to pay me for the journal. I feel something light, as if a tap on my leg, and I see the squirrel down by my feet. He is holding a crystal.

"One more thing," the squirrel holds up the crystal, so it can be better visible. "You were never here."

The crystal shines, and I black out.

When Albert, a researching historian, and a constant informant for the yellow press, wakes up, he is in his bed. He doesn't remember anything about a sir Reginald the Fluffy, or two mermen, who made love the entire night.

His journal is lost on the Island of the Forsaken. Sir Reginald managed to fix it, using one of Joe's wishes for the day. These days, instead of it being used to pry into people's personal lives, it is used for finger paintings. Something sir Reginald was taught by Shannon.

And so, the return of the Lich Lord remains a mystery. Protected by sir Reginald, Joe lives the easy life of a merman. Fishing until noon, sleeping in the coral reefs in the afternoon, getting down and dirty with Marius at night.

A life, which both Shannon and Reginald wanted for him. A life, during which he is happy, and content.

From now on, I will update only one chapter per day. 

Also, leave hearts. 

1