10. How can you become a bandit?
99 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You're 16? Then you still have a year before you can enter a school. That's good. If you manage to get into any mage school, it will be of great help," Thomas remarked.

"But wait, the scarred leader just said he wants to take me into his group," Kiryin said.

"Scarred leader? Hahahah... I like that name. Just don't call him that to his face, or his two loyal followers will try to harm you. But I'm glad you're paying attention. That's good. Ignorance isn't the obstacle to survival; arrogance is. However, you've misunderstood it. If you didn't have any magical abilities, you'd be training under the knights order with him. Alternatively, if you were a swordsmanship prodigy, you'd be sent to one of the few knight schools around. But you are special. You're destined for a mage school, and I'll earn a lot if I recommend you," Thomas explained.

"I just want to go home," Kiryin replied, trying to act as normal as possible and not raise any suspicions.

"Hahahaha... From what I can see, you're not sure where you came from or how you were kidnapped. Once you're in a mage school, you'll have access to vast libraries containing knowledge on every possible field. I'm sure you'll find a way back home," Thomas reassured him, pleased that Kiryin grasped the situation and wasn't naive.

"Really? I can learn magic at the mage school? What types of magic are there?" Kiryin's curiosity led him to ask.

"Technically, mages or wizards can perform magic based on the traditional elements like air, water, earth, and fire. There are also special ones like lightning, darkness, and light. Typically, one's magical affinity is determined at birth. For instance, take me; I was born with an affinity for fire. However, it's not set in stone. If you reach a high level, you can also perform magic related to other elements. Then there are those who aren't born with any specific element, like a blank slate. They are rare, occurring once in thousands, and they can be taught any kind of magic. If they are brilliant enough, they might even learn all forms of magic and become a prodigy," Thomas said, his eyes filled with longing as he spoke about the blank slate mages.

"Are there other kinds of magic?" Kiryin inquired, eager to learn more.

"Well, yes, there are other forms of magic. There's beast-taming magic, sealing magic, combining magic, curse magic, and a few others. You'll get to learn about them once you go to school," Thomas replied, leaving Kiryin eager for the learning that lay ahead.

"Uhh.. Uncle, do you know what kind of magic I have?" Kiryin asked. Since he was told that he had magic reserves, his affinity must have been set. He didn't wish for anything specific and would be content with any kind of element. Kiryin didn't mind addressing Thomas as uncle.

"I'm sorry, kid. I can't tell you as those examinations are conducted by the gatekeepers who come to recruit students for their school. In a year or so, I'll take you there, and only then will we find out what kind of magic element you possess. Of course, all of this depends on the fact that you aren't a bandit. I would hate to have to kill you if you turned out to be one," Thomas warned, the warmth in his tone fading as he spoke the last sentence.

This made Kiryin shiver slightly, but he maintained a brave smile. He knew mere words wouldn't suffice to prove his innocence. Thomas seemed to understand and pulled out some worn-out pages from a small cloth pouch.

Kiryin's eyes widened in surprise as Thomas extracted such a large piece of paper from such a small bag. Thomas seemed to sense Kiryin's astonishment and appeared proud of it.

"Kid, this is a magical cloth bag which has more space inside. Mages use them to store his necessities. One needs to be either a mage or Edge Apprentices to be able to use them."

"What is Edge Apprentices?" Kiryin noticed a new term popping up so he couldn't help but ask.

"Sigh! Kid. If you are really a bandit, they have either not taught you anything of the world or your acting skills are perfect. There are different levels of being a wizard or a knight. Mages are divided into Arcane Novices, Mystic Adepts, Sorcerous Acolytes, Enigmatic Magi/Maguses, Supreme Warlocks/Witches and so on. While knights are divided into Blade Initiates, Edge Apprentices, Steel Adept, Form Masters, Blademasters and so on. Don't ask me about the above levels. I am neither educated nor strong enough to touch that knowledge. Our leader is a Steel Adept and once he could become a Form Master, he would be invited to a knight school to become a professor there. I am a Mystic Adept and actively trying to reach Sorcerous Acolyte. You will learn more about them once you go to school."

"For now, learn this spell," Thomas said, handing Kiryin a worn-out paper.

Curiously, Kiryin examined the paper and saw intricate designs drawn in the form of various intersecting lines. Beneath each design, there were labels indicating the spell's purpose: magic hiding spell, detection spell, silence spell, and invisibility spell.

"These are some spells you need to learn. Your magic might attract creatures from the depths of the forest. While monsters may not sense your presence from afar, you'll be in danger once they get close. Monsters are drawn to people like you," Thomas explained.

Kiryin shivered at the thought. It seemed that the bunny attack was not merely due to his flesh but because of his magical aura.

"So, I'm like food for them because my magic gives them power?" This made Kiryin shiver again. It was no wonder that the bunny attacked that time. He was a food for them not because of flesh but because of magic.  Fuck. I am a food for them because it will give them power?

"How can I learn these spells?" Kiryin's excitement about learning magic began to overpower his fear.

1