Ch.33: Fix-Or-Repair-Daily
39 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Imagine going to bed in a two-floor house and waking up to find you’ve now got a basement. Its length stretched from the front door to the backyard house. As wide as the house itself.

It’s filled from wall to wall with video game memorabilia. Sci-fi movie posters, all autographed and framed. A clear display of your wife’s figurine collection along one wall.

The popcorn and soda machine in the corner were way too large to have fit down the stairs. Stairs that have a star pattern matching your wife’s tattoos. Along with planet shaped beads in the doorway.

“You need to chill on the wishes,” Dante said.

Tatiana was enjoying her new movie projector with Jiji at her side. Dressed up like a particular captain and their chief engineer exploring the final frontier.

Tatiana asked Jiji, “Lieutenant, how many wishes do I have left?”

Jiji saluted, “Captain Tatiana, you have 30 wishes left!”

Dante stepped in front of the projector, “You made 17 wishes in 3 days?!”

“What? No! I made 12. Jiji, what were my last 5 wishes?”

“That’s still too many!” Dante argued.

Jiji pulled a tiny circular device out of her utility belt. It projected a hologram. She read the list out loud.

“35: Every video game console ever made.
34: An infinite popcorn machine.
33: An infinite soda fountain machine with multiple selections.
32: Any and all cars my wife drives or is in to never get into an accident.
31: An indestructible sword that shoots lasers.”

Dante really wanted to thank Tatiana for #32. Truly, she did. If it weren’t for the other 4, Jiji would have been asked to leave the house for romantic reasons.

“Jiji,” Dante informed, “I’ve decided to let you off of punishment early.”

Jiji hopped off the couch, “Really?!”

“You still have to call if you’re out after 10.”

Jiji bear hugged Dante goodbye. She shouted, “Thank you, professor!” Then vanished on the final word. Hitting her watch to beam up and out of the house.

Tatiana sat on her new couch looking at her wife. Her now upset wife.

Captain Barrett shrugged, “I’m not apologizing.”

-Starlight University-

Waiting for her girlfriends to get out of class, Jiji took photos of the Halloween decorations. All of the fake bats and ghosts on doors. Spiderwebs that stretched from lampposts to the benches.

Posters advertised the Halloween dance in the coming weeks. All parodying classic monster movie films. Marilyn & Jiji had the same favorite. A man in horror that he missed out on the dance.

At sunset, she made the empty football field her subject. Playing with angles and far away shots. From standing in the already decorated bleachers to laying on the shadowed field.

“Jiji, isn’t it?”

Jiji turned over and by her feet was Ford. Digital camera on his sling this time. His footsteps left barely an imprint. She hadn’t even heard him approach.

“That’s right!” Jiji kipped up, “What’re you up to, Ford?”

Ford wasn’t too much taller than most of the men she’d seen. 5’6 with loafers. He took a step back instead of cranking his neck to look at her.

“Wanted some shots before football practice started,” he said.

Jiji shared her photos, “Beat you to it.”

Ford wasn’t too impressed. As he pointed out.

“This one would be better from the other side.”

Now questioning his abilities, “The side where the sun would ruin the shot?”

Ford was happy to explain, “Not if you got the right lens or catch it right. You can get the shadow on the field and a lens flare. Uh, you know what? Here.”

Ford led Jiji to the east side of the field. Eager to show his expertise. Like a kid showing off a skill.

Just as he said, his camera got the field, the bleachers, its shadow, and the setting sun’s flare. A much more dynamic shot.

Jiji took her own photo with hopes of the same result. She received an overexposed shot.

“Is the sun playing favorites?” Jiji said in disbelief.

“Looks like you’re using a,” Ford paused. Eyes squinting at the device, “I don’t…know what model that is.”

Jiji stood up with him. Putting her little golden camera away on her sling.

“It’s a foreign model. Non-American.”

Eyes still on her camera, “Yeah, most are.” He moved up to eye contact, “Anyway, a 50 millimeter lens should do the trick.”

“Would you recommend that for, say, modeling?”

Ford put his camera away, “I mean, for a distant shot, yeah. What kind of modeling?”

Jiji had prints at the ready. From her purse to Ford’s hand.

This time Jiji was the eager one. She rocked on her toes. As he scanned through each print, she hoped for a kind word on her craft. A compliment on her clothes. An appraisal of the camerawork.

“You’re beautiful,” was Ford’s blushing accolade.

And then a football hit Ford in the head. It knocked him right to the ground.

The first player had arrived at the field. Gear already on. Another ball in hand.

“Sorry bro! Hope I didn’t hurt ya! Ha-ha!” Waller ridiculed.

Jiji immediately helped Ford up. She got to see his enraged eyes open. His blue left eye flickered like a star.

She blinked a few times. Muddled, or rather, fascinated. But there wasn’t time to investigate.

Nick didn’t give her any time. Throwing his second ball right to her.

Jiji caught it. Easily. And she threw it right back. Aiming right at Nick’s smug face.

The ball missed him. By multiple feet. They all watched it bounce into the parking lot. Hitting and setting off a car alarm.

Nick dug in his ear. As if the alarm hurt to hear.

“You throw like a girl,” Waller jeered.

Jiji almost shouted something back. But Ford had a better insult. Lending it to Jiji.

“Be a good dog and go fetch your ball!” Jiji called.

Nick raised a brow. He got the joke. He didn’t get why Ford gave it to Jiji.

Stepping towards Ford, “You got something to say, ya little piss stain? Say it to my face.”

Jiji didn’t need much magic to meet Nick before he reached Ford. She didn’t need to touch him. She barely had to say anything.

The entire 12-inch height difference meant nothing. All Jiji had to do was stare him down. And offer a handshake.

“Good luck Friday,” Jiji said.

Nick didn’t bite. He just snarled between his sharp teeth.

Jiji poked his abs, “Come on, don’t leave me hanging. Or is there something wrong with your hand?”

Nick went to get his ball. Tail between his legs.

Turning back briefly to swear, “This ain’t over.”

Jiji stuck her tongue out. Middle finger up high. She didn’t notice Ford come up behind her.

“Did you just scare him off with a handshake?” He asked.

“Yep. Like you said, he’s a puppy. All he needs to know is you’re not scared, and he’ll back off.”

Ford pointed to the squad of players coming in from the far gate. All of them larger than Ford. Each one being bigger than the last.

“Does that go for the entire pack?” he asked.

“I don’t care about them right now.” Jiji checked Ford’s head, "Are you sure you’re ok?”

She brushed his scruffy hair out of the way. No knots or bruises there. Just a light skinned boy turning red.

His eyes were to the sky, “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“How’s your eye?” Jiji checked that next. Guiding his head down to hers. “Why’d it flicker earlier?”

Ford’s cheeks were squished in Jiji’s hands. He had to hunch down to keep balance. Add the headache, the jocks now looking at them, and Jiji’s invasion of personal space. Ford wasn’t exactly keen on answering her question.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he lied.

Jiji let him go, “Your blue eye. It flickered like a candle. Eyes don’t do that. Is it like a glass eye?”

“I’d rather not talk about this here.”

Finally, Jiji became aware of the other players. Getting close enough to hear them. And Nick, now back from the parking lot.

“Do you like coffee?” She asked.

Happily, “I’d love some.”

End

2