Ch.39: Marilyn Needs A Hug
36 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gateway theaters was packed. Bumper to bumper for the latest horror film. ‘It Has Arrived 4: The Return’. Sequel to ‘It has Arrived 3: The Finale’.

Like previous shifts, Star Hornet was a no-show. Which was Marilyn’s problem. For some reason.

The manager made sure Kamkin knew, “I told Star, ‘if she’s not in tomorrow, she’s fired’.”

“Kevin, I can’t, like, make her come in,” Marilyn stated. Even though she shouldn’t have to.

Her main focus was cleaning up some puke. Puke that her coworker was supposed to clean but clocked out early when asked. Puke that was on soggy ground thanks to Saturday’s rain.

Her manager wasn’t helping either. In either sense of the word.

“You two live together, and you can’t tell me why she’s skipping work?” Kevin asked.

“I don’t know,” Marilyn had said for the 4th time that week. “Would you mind helping with this? Please?”

Kevin walked away. It wasn't even worth coming up with an excuse. He just sauntered off towards the concession stand.

All the different job-searching apps hit Marilyn’s mind. Perhaps a part-time job at the mall. After Halloween would be the holidays. She & Jiji could be Santa’s elves at the mall. Well, Jiji & Alice could pass for elves.

The thought of Jiji as a sexy Santa helped keep Marilyn from beating her boss with the pumpkin by the counter. Or her coworker who was supposed to be back from break 10 minutes ago. Or the car pulling into the lot Marilyn was still cleaning.

Blaring their horn was their way asking Marilyn to move. The other patrons telling them to stop was irrelevant. Even her coworker got off his phone.

“Ma’am, either stop with the horn or I’m going to ask you to…Oh hey, Nick! What’s up brah!”

In the preview was a character cocking a shotgun. A loud crack of thunder as he did. His macho line was Marilyn’s distressing thought.

“Why’s this bastard here?”

It was a drive-in on a Sunday. So that mystery was solved. But, who did the worker call ‘ma’am’?

“Ugh!” Lana complained, “So annoying! God, why did you want to come here?!”

Nick slunk into his passenger seat, “I told you, the regular movies are too loud.”

Lana’s eye roll had more effort than her response, “Whatever.”

Marilyn had finally finished cleaning. She tried to shuffle out of sight. Back to the headlights. Face away from their eyes.

Too bad Nick recognized her from the back. For reasons he wasn’t going to admit to Lana.

“Isn’t that?” He pointed out.

Lana honked, “Hey Mary!”

“Marilyn,” Kamkin corrected.

“Whatever.” Lana pulled in and pulled out a $20, “Go get us one large popcorn and two medium sodas.”

“You have to get it yourself,” Marilyn said. “Also, that’s, like, not enough.”

Lana stayed put. She kicked her feet on the dash.

Smugly, “These shoes are $400 and my hubby is still sore from the game. And whatever your slutty friend did. So, be a good bitch, and go fetch mommy’s order.”

Now was a very good time to go on a 15. Otherwise, Marilyn’s coworkers would be cleaning up Lana. And ‘fired for breaking a customer’s neck’ was never something you want showing up in a background check.

Marilyn went to wash her arms and sit on the break room couch. Comfy cushions laid just behind the door. Even if it was brief. It would be a welcome moment of zen.

Kevin intercepted her, “Marilyn, I’m being told you walked away from a guest.”

“Not exactly. I told her she needed to,”

“Don’t make excuses. That sort of behavior isn’t acceptable here, and it’s sad that I have to tell you that.”

“Kevin,” Marilyn breathed deeply, “Are you willing to listen to my side of the story?”

“No, I’m not. Now get back out there and do whatever our guests say. Or you’re fired.”

The last straw had been pulled.

Marilyn took off her worn cap. Her scratched-up name badge. Her popcorn-stained polo shirt. And when Kevin refused to take the uniform, she set it on the nearby counter. Only keeping her trans pride pin.

Everyone moved out of Marilyn’s way. Everyone who heard what Kevin couldn’t be bothered saying in private. Every employee questioning if they should keep working. Every customer who decided this was their last time attending Gateway.

Lana & Nick excluded.

“Hey, Mary! I’m still waiting for my soda!”

Marilyn kept walking to her car. Middle finger up. Russian accent out.

“<Suck my dick!>”

-Later-

The drive home was quiet. Marilyn could hear everything. Like her radio. The tires braking. Her engine started to sputter as she pulled in.

She just didn’t take in any of it. They were blocked out.

What was going to be her new job? Could she find one fast enough? How was the next cheer practice going to go? Why did Star get so many second chances, but she got less than 1? Why did Lana get away with everything?

Why was life being so unfair?

“Miss Kamkin!” Miss Burns called from downstairs.

“Not now,” Marilyn begged. “<For the love of God, just give me a break.>”

Burns climbed the steps after Marilyn, “I told you I don’t speak ‘communist’! Who are you smuggling into my building?! You better have those loud lesbians out before you’re out yourself!”

Marilyn entered her hall. No energy to even acknowledge Burns’ threat. Just enough to unlock her door and drag her feet in.

Her apartment was a planetarium. Stars and distant planets projected all around her. A spaceship rocketed out of the kitchen. Pursued through the galaxy by a giant bear made of fire.

Alice laid on the couch. Eyes up watching the show.

Jiji held the sci-fi epic in her palm. She stood on the table. Hand waving about with her narration.

“The crew aboard the ‘Othello’ dodged another attack! But they were far from the nearest union planet. And far from safe. The mighty Ursa Major, prepared another fiery blast when,” Jiji closed the book. Turning the story off, literally. “Hi, Marilyn! Welcome home! Oh! Oh! Check out Alice’s new look!”

Jiji stepped down. Alice was flung straight up. Teleporting from the couch to the center of the living room.

Same shoulder-length dark hair. Same white and gray shoes. Same brow line glasses.

Dark rose patterned leggings under a purple-on-black box pleat skirt. A studded belt to match her silver earrings and the shiny skirt buttons. A cold shoulder top just as dark as her hair. Lavender eyeshadow and lipstick tied everything together. Her fingernails showed her pride as an ace.

“You’re home early?” Alice immediately asked.

Marilyn waved it off, “Oh yeah. I uh, kinda…well,”

All the strain. The weeks of stress. The unclear future. It all hit Marilyn in her attempt to lie. And she just couldn’t do it.

“Can I get a hug please?” Marilyn asked through tears.

Jiji was comforting her in a heartbeat. Alice was right behind her.

It was a long night of conversations. Much needed comfort. Long overdue venting.

End

2