Realization
1.9k 6 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

DC LINK: https://discord.gg/zyvJwMM

‘’Its morning, your Highness’’

An all too familiar voice that I dreaded to hear this morning waked me up. I feared that this can happen and I’m still in disbelieve, that this is apparently real.

‘’Are you feeling okay, your Highness?’’

Aldric asked me, probably noticing my downcast expression.

‘’Can I have my breakfast here, please?’’

I replied to him in a sad voice and without a word he left.

When I heard that the door was closed I sat up.

Then I started punching the bed furiously, I wanted to shout, I wanted to scream, but I knew that this would bring unwanted attention so instead, I opted to release my anger and sadness on the innocent bed. I wanted someone to wake me up, someone to tell me that this is just a weird dream, that all of this is just an illusion.

Then I started crying and whimpering as quiet as I can to not alert the guards behind the doors or the passing servants.

All those pent up emotions now were running wild and I didn’t even try to stop them.

After some time I managed to calm down my raging emotional hurricane and just in time, as I cleaned the last trails of tears out of my face, my door opened and Aldric came in pulling a cart with some food.

I ate in complete silence.

I saw that Aldric looked a bit concerned as he watched me, but I was glad that he didn’t say anything about it.

‘’Hey, Aldric, can you answer my question?’’

‘’Whatever you want, my Prince’’

He said with a slight bow.

I took a deep breath.

‘’What do you know about a book titled ’Sworn Book Of Honorius’ ?“

I saw him visibly tense up; this gave me bad signs about the book under my pillow.

‘’Y-Your Highness, where did you hear about that book?’’

He asked almost in a whisper and immediately red flags began rising in my head that I shouldn’t tell him that I have it in my possession.

‘’I just heard about it, is it that bad to even make you only whisper about it?’’

I asked him, I was curious about this book.

‘’With all due respect, your Highness, I don’t know where you have heard of it, but forget about it, this book has been forbidden by the Church! Anyone who is in possession of it is committing heresy against the God and humanity and should be executed!’’

He told me in sotto voce and now I sat in disbelief.

How did the previous host of this body didn’t know that?

I wracked my brain through countless memories and couldn’t find the answer. He had no idea that this book is forbidden… Just wonderful.

‘’Thank you for breakfast Aldric’’

I thanked the man as he put the empty plates on the cart.

I threw the blanket off and got out of bed. I really want to read that book now, maybe there’s a way back for me to return to my home.

‘’What do I have on the agenda today?’’

I asked him if nothing too much important I really want to be left alone and just read the book, the longer I have it in possession the likelihood of it being found out rises and I don’t want to be here when that happens because I know how fanatical religious folks can be. Witch hunt is a great example of this and I don’t feel like being burned at the stake, hanged, drowned, quartered, having my head chopped off or being condemned to other executions that are possible.

‘’Well as always after breakfast you have lessons with Sir Duc de La Vauguyon, after dinner, you are free as you don’t have any appointments, then once again after supper, you are free until bedtime, your Highness’’

The elderly gentleman informed me.

This is good, maybe I could move the lessons with Duc de La Vauguyon after dinner and in the meantime, I could read that damned book and maybe figure out a way to return.

‘’Inform Sir Duc de La Vauguyon that I want to move my lectures after dinner.’’

I asked Aldric, this would give me enough time to read about the ‘Soul Transfer’ and figure everything out.

‘’Of course my prince, what will you do in the meantime?’’

He replied to me, well I would be cautious too when suddenly someone who followed their day to the letter now is altering it.

‘’I will stay in my room and read a book that I found.’’

I replied and I can see him eyeing me carefully he probably suspects that I have the ‘Sworn Book of Honorius’ and he would be right.

‘’What book if I may ask, your Highness?’’

‘’The Song of Ronald that is in desk’s drawer’’

The French poem that was later recognized as France’s national epic, that should clear him all off his doubts.

‘’Then I’ll inform Sir Duc de La Vauguyon.’’

He said as he left with the cart and closed the door.

I gently stood up and walked towards the door and opened it.

‘’Hey you two, don’t let anyone in my room even if the King asks you, do you understand?’’

I ordered the two Swiss Guards that stood beside my door.

‘’Yes, your Highness!’’

They saluted to me, good now I can go read, hopefully without any distractions.

‘’Excellent.’’

I said to them and Closed the door then walked towards my bed and pulled the book out that was under my pillow.

Then I opened the page with the red cloth in it and began reading the Latin magic book or grimoire.

I read everything from the start, which ingredients I need, what are the conditions, how to make the seal, what words to tell, I tried to memorize it all.

But then I came to the end of the spell.

‘The transfer of souls is only one way, the transferred soul nor the caster can’t go back to their original body, use this spell with caution’

‘’HAHAHA!’’

I started laughing maniacally; of course, it will be one way! Of course, I will have no way to return home! There’s nothing easy in life.

I hold the tears that tried to escape my eyes as I clenched my fist.

To think my all life would be taken from me, all of my hard work, everything that I created with my own hands and means… You are probably laughing right now aren’t you Louis-Auguste? Thinking that you can leave all the responsibilities behind and enjoy an easy life, that I CREATED?! Do you think that I will end just like you with my head separated from my body in the eyes of a cheering crowd? No, you spineless coward, my end won’t be like yours! I will change it even if I have to get my hands dirty that I swear. I will become the greatest of greatest Kings and then we will see who is laughing then!

First things first I need to heed Aldric’s words and destroy this book; I will not have it in my sight any longer or it can trample my plans, but for now, I will hide it.

I stood up wanting to dress myself up, but instead, I figured that I don’t know where my clothes are…

‘’Sir you can’t!’’

I heard shouting behind the door and then someone hitting someone.

The door opened and in came Duc de La Vauguyon with his red costume, his head held high as he stared at me.

‘’Sit.’’

He simply told me and sat down on my bed immediately. He sounded really pissed.

I watched as he went around me towards my table and picked up the chair, in the meantime I hid the book under the sheets as stealthy as I can, hopefully, he didn’t see it.

He then came and placed the chair and sat down with his legs slightly crossed as he stared into my eyes as if searching for something.

‘’Speak.’’

He simply said and I stared at him confused as to what he means.

‘’I thought I beat that thing out of you… Boy, you can’t hide anything from me, now speak what is troubling you.’’

Still silence.

‘’I stared death in the eyes, even a soldier that is about to die lies better than you, my Prince and I already know because Aldric told me that you are acting strange today so get on with it.’’

‘’I don’t know…’’

I replied to him and by the looks of it, he didn’t believe me instead he just hold his gaze and stared at me.

‘’You don’t know what?’’

He asked simply.

‘’I feel like...I don’t belong here, I just don’t know what to do…’’

I said to him and I feel my emotions rising up, but I held them down, I will not be weak again, I need to accept how is given to me, even how bizarre it sounds.

‘’You don’t know what to do? I stepped into the politics by the age of twelve, I even fought in a war that you now call Seven Years War and I too didn’t know what to do and nobody dared to tell me what am I doing wrong, Instead I was surrounded by pretty words and pretty faces that told me I was doing everything alright, that was until I stepped into war and everything that I thought I was doing right was instead wrong, since then I started not to listen to lies and made my own decisions, nobody was born a genius, only by trial and error can you achieve greatness, people will use you, people will lie to you, but you are the next King and you must be above that, that is your duty, just like I was to follow my father’s steps so is yours is to take over your grandfather. I will not sugarcoat anything and I will say this upfront: Life is hard, it will especially be for you, everyone will want to control you like a puppet, everyone will lie just to get your favor, such are the rules of ruling, you either win or you lose, there’s no middle ground.’’

He said to me and I have to agree to him, life is like a ball, one day you are at the highest and the second at the lowest, I need to change myself and only then can I change my fate.

‘’But if you said is true aren’t you trying to use me?’’

I said to him in a joking tone and he just scoffed.

‘’If I wanted to control you I wouldn’t try to undo what those ‘teachers’ of yours have done. And let me tell you this, there are always signs that a reign is ending, and they are usually spotted not in the king himself, but in his court. In the inner circle, latent jealousies between advisers spill into open conflict, as they angrily debate who is to blame for the calamity, chewing over each other's past errors and pointing the finger at old or nascent enemies. And now that’s is happening in France, our once proud nation is just but a shadow of its former glory, when you become the next King you will have a lot of problems on your hand and It will be up to you to resolve them or you can find your reign ending quickly. I suggest for you in the upcoming ball to look for future allies from a simple merchant to a famed general as a wise man once said ‘The enemies cannot destroy the king who has at his service the respect and friendship of the wise men who can find fault, disagree, and correct him.’’

His words have a lot of wisdom in them and I just found all-new respect for that man, he is truly a great teacher I’m happy that I got to know a man like him and I will take his words to the heart.

‘’What’s that about the ball?’’

I asked him because I knew no such info about a ball.

‘’Huh? You don’t know?’’

He asked me and I shake my head, he sighs.

‘’The ball will be held in four days, that’s why the King asked me to teach you ball etiquette and manners, there will be a lot of people, dear, and I heard that a group of royals will be present, so don’t miss out on this chance to get allies.’’

He said and I nodded my head in agreement, looks I have all the weak planned out for me.

‘’Now then, I heard from Aldric that today you don’t have anything to do apart from my lessons, so as a good sign of fate you will spend your entire day with me.’’

He said with a sadistic smirk and I felt as a shiver ran down my spine.

‘’I will call Aldric so get dressed up and I will be waiting for you in my office.’’

He said as he stood up and walked out, just as he grabbed the door he turned around.

‘’Oh and before I forget, try changing the guards, because those two I wouldn’t trust to guard my chamber pot let alone a Prince and the next King.’’

He then opened the door and walked out and I quickly ran to the door seeing my two guards on the floor knocked out cold. Damn, I should have him teach me how to fight.

Then, as Duc de La Vauguyon said, Aldric came in and started to dress me up.

Aldric, I know that he is loyal as he nursed me from my childhood; I wonder if he knows anything about politics or economics…Probably not, but maybe I could employ Duc de La Vauguyon to teach him.

But on a second thought, I don’t want to push Aldric into jaws of a beast, plus a loyal servant is always welcome because I will know for sure that I won’t get killed at my own house.

Once again Aldric brought me a mirror and I looked at myself, this is me now, this is now my life and I will make the most out of it.

It’s time to be the best I can be, but first I need to burn that damned book!

A/N: 2nd chapter done, now we saw a bit of emotion and thought about being in the body of Louis XVI, next chapter will be the ball scene and a meeting with someone special *wink* *wink*, for those who know history it will be easy guess, but don't spoil it! As always if you see any mistakes please point them out!

I even created a discord so we can interact more with each other and there will be info on the upcoming chapters, so feel free to join! And hopefully I can get some artist to do some art for this little novel of mine, but we will see in the future!

 

DC LINK: https://discord.gg/zyvJwMM

 

40