16. When in Doubt, Dig Your Way Out
156 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zero backed away from the mound of rubble, coughing and waving away the rising dust. The rocks and debris were too packed together to budge. Not that he wanted to force his way through the barrier anyway. Zero knew that the Skin Snatchers were probably waiting on the other side for them, with many more coming. He wouldn't have been able to protect the group if they began fighting, so he had to take such a risk.

Nobody else made a noise, all staring at Zero, awaiting his next action.

"Look around," Zero told them. "Tell me if you find anything."

Everyone stumbled off, desperate to find any way to escape. Zero sighed and began looking around, knowing there was a low possibility that anything would be useful. They returned to the area where the group was trapped earlier, all searching for a slim chance that they would be able to discover a miracle.

The man Zero had freed first earlier walked up to him with a bitter smile.

"We have no chance of escape, do we?" the man laughed deprecatingly. "We've been freed just to die."

Zero glanced at him before looking away.

"I didn't rescue all of you just to die a meaningless death," Zero said. "I'm not going to die here, wallowing in self-pity."

The man looked shocked at Zero's words, expecting Zero to mirror his negative attitude.

"I wish I had your courage," the man shook his head. "I have a wife and daughter awaiting my return. After the first week here, I had already lost all strength and hope."

"I've seen the people that were trapped here alongside me have their flesh and bones dug out while alive, with only their skins perfectly preserved. No matter how I struggled, everything was for naught."

Zero said nothing, allowing the man to keep talking.

"Those monsters won't even allow you to die! They keep you just alive enough so they can harvest your skin when the time comes. Do you understand how painful it is to wait, not knowing if the next minute could be your last?"

"You can tell all of this to your wife and daughter when we get out of here," Zero interrupted. "Like I said earlier, I'm not going to die here."

The man was once again stunned by Zero's optimistic outlook on the situation.

"You're right," the man laughed. "I was lucky enough to survive, yet I still whine when I have the chance that others didn't."

"That's more like it," Zero nodded. "What's your name?"

"Anton Vigursa," the man answered. "I'm a traveling merchant from Sunset City."

"How did you get captured?"

Anton frowned as if remembering a bad memory.

"I usually stop by Woodland Village once in a while to pick up their spices. I didn't realize they all were already replaced by those... those things. By the time I realized something was wrong, it was too late."

Anton spread his arms wide.

"Everyone I was traveling with has already died. I am the sole survivor. They continuously mock me, parading around with my comrades' faces."

"Even after death, they cannot rest," Anton said sadly.

"Then keep looking for a way out." Zero placed a hand on the man's shoulder to console him. "Live for their sakes."

With that, Zero ended the conversation, continuing his search.

The group spent around fifteen minutes exploring the area, only to come up with nothing. It was to be expected, as the Skin Snatchers wouldn't leave a way out in an area where the humans were being kept captive.

Everyone's faces sunk in despair as they realized that they were going to die in the cave. They again looked at Zero, seeking his help, but they noticed that he was walking toward the wall.

"We've already checked that spot," Anton called out. "There's nothing there."

"If we can't find a way out, I'll just make one."

Zero cast {Iron Skin} and {Enhance Sharpness} onto his fingers, replicating what he did earlier to reach the eggs. He began climbing nimbly, soon reaching the ceiling of the cave. The others gathered around, watching, unsure of what he was doing.

Zero clung to the ceiling with one hand, and with the other, he began digging. The rocks fell from the ceiling, crashing down onto the ground. Soon, a small hole had formed in the ceiling as Zero continued to dig. He made sure to grip tightly with his other hand because even with {Iron Skin}, he wasn't sure if he would survive if he fell from such a height.

When the hole had grown too large for Zero to reach, he climbed into the hole and continued his work. Beads of sweat rolled down his face as he continued to carefully dig. The others, unable to help, sat down and watched. As time went on, Zero could feel fatigue and sleepiness weighing down on him.

The enclosed space was beginning to run out of oxygen. The hole was already extremely deep, but still had no exit in sight. Zero forced himself to stay awake, fingers still digging into the rock. He let out jagged breaths, his entire body tensed from the extreme stress.

Zero grit his teeth and continued on.

After another half an hour, the oxygen in the area had become so depleted that it was hard to breathe. Zero's heart rapidly pounded from the lack of oxygen in his bloodstream. His body began to numb and loosen as he slowly drifted into unconsciousness.

[Host. Wake up.]

Zero's eyes snapped open. If he had gone unconscious and fallen, it would've really been over.

Zero grabbed another chunk of rocks and ripped them off, sending a beam of moonlight to shine down into the cave. The light was akin to an oasis for a dehydrated man in a desert. He quickly punched his way through the rest of the rocks and climbed out of the cavern, feet finally back on the grass.

Zero took in a deep breath of fresh air, never realizing that the air smelled so good. He then climbed back into the cavern, intent on rescuing the rest of the trapped people. They had already all gone unconscious, so Zero shook Anton awake.

Anton slowly stirred from his sleep, eyes muddy.

"So, I'm finally dead, huh?"

"Yeah, welcome to Hell."

Anton instantly came to, seeing Zero standing over him. Zero merely pointed at the ceiling, the hole allowing the moonlight to shine onto the ground. Anton laughed in happiness, climbing up from the ground and trying to hug Zero.

Zero deftly avoided him and said, "Wake the rest of them up. I'll take you out of here one by one."

Everyone was eventually woken up, all cheering in happiness as they realized that they would survive. They felt as if there was no greater joy in the world than the one they were currently feeling.

"Hold on to me as I bring you out," Zero announced. "I'll take you out of here individually."

They all nodded in agreement as Zero started. He began slowly transporting each one of them out; them hanging onto his shoulders and waist as he climbed up to the ceiling and out of the cavern.

"Be quiet," Zero warned. "The monsters might still be nearby."

Eventually, Zero had taken them all out of the cave, their faces bright with happiness.

"Follow me," said Zero, facing them. "And don't make any noise."

Zero suddenly felt someone shoving him, him staggering to the side.

It was Anton. A sword was where Zero had been moments before, the blade dripping red with blood. Anton had pushed Zero out of the way to save him from the surprise attack of a Skin Snatcher, causing himself to be stabbed.

Zero, seeing this, reacted instantly, fist flying toward the Skin Snatcher's face. The Skin Snatcher dropped its weapon, raising its hands to block the attack. Zero's arm, however, was enhanced by his skills.

His punch directly tore through the Skin Snatcher's arms, shattering its head. Zero grabbed the fleshy creature attempting to escape and crushed it to bits.

[You have slain a Skin Snatcher. +20 EXP]

He then walked over to Anton, who collapsed on the floor breathing heavily with a huge wound on his stomach.

"Looks like I won't make it, after all," Anton smiled dejectedly. "And to think that I was so close to freedom."

He gasped, spitting out blood.

"Please, tell my fam-GAH!"

Zero had directly removed the blade from Anton's body, causing blood to spill.

"{Major Heal}."

The light from Zero's hands covered the wound on Anton's body, closing it up and causing the color to return to his pale face. After a short while, it was as if the wound had never been there. Anton felt his body in amazement, looking up at Zero.

"Stop being dramatic and get up," Zero said. "Many more of them are going to be coming soon."

Anton laughed in embarrassment as he got to his feet.

"Also, thanks."

"It's not a problem," Anton replied. "You saved all of us. I owe you my life."

"Then let's get going."

14