Chapter 37
1.6k 26 70
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"Aaaaaaahhhhh!"

 

Not all of the adventurers were close to me.
Some of the others, who I didn't know their names yet, were still working at a distance.
At least they did so until now.
But now one of them suddenly started to scream.
The next moment, he takes his axe and rushes at his co-worker.
This one can barely evade the obvious strike and block the next unaimed attack with a club.

 

"Wait! What is wrong with you?"

 

I think I know the reason!
On the man who’s gone mad, I perceive a spider.
She has a bulky body in yellow and very thin legs.

The man continues his attacks and the other one blocks, but before anyone can intervene another spider jumps the distracted fighter from a tree and bites.

 

"Aagghhchrrou!"

 

He lets his weapon fall and starts to make foreign sounds.
He shakes and white foam comes out of his eyes and mouth, while he seems to be in deepest agony.
Who would come up with something this sinister?
Right.
Why am I playing dumb?
It's obviously Kyroki.

The others started moving to help at first, but are taken aback at that gruesome sight.
The madman soon breaks down too.

 

"Aaaahhhh!"

 

Another scream!
This time one of the other adventurers is completely enveloped by countless small spiders.
Eritu made her move!

I don't look directly at it, as my fear takes over and I kneel on the ground.
However, as I'm aware of all the entities it is not hard to know what they are doing.

 

"Fall back!" (R)

 

The rest of the group gathers behind the wall of wooden sticks.
Connor and John both take out a bottle and empty them in a line.
Then they set it on fire.
It must have been some kind of oil!
But that should only divert them for a short amount of time.
I'm now detecting bigger spiders closing in on us.
There are many different colors of spiders in the swarm.

John is nocking an arrow and proceeds to aim at one of the larger ones.
It shouldn't be hard, as nearly every bit of space outside the camp is now covered with spiders.
He shoots, but the target takes the hit and keeps moving.
Before he can release another one, some of them line up.
They are colored in variants of blue and green.
They all shoot some liquid in the direction of the burning line and the defenders.
John and Edward get hit!

 

"Zcchhhh"

"Aagghhhh"

 

It was acid!
John is visibly disintegrating and Edward who could evade the most is at least severely injured.

Then some other spiders come.
They are large, in colors of beige, brown, and yellow.
They have thick legs and look muscular.
I am sure of it; those are Masiabi's!
They rush to the remaining defenders and jump over the burning obstacle without any effort.

 

"Defend, defend!" (R)

 

There are only four of them remaining and just three that can fight.
The hunter spiders bring terror to them.
This is so frightening.
I don't know what to do and simply quiver.
But then I perceive something move just ahead of me.

 

"Don't worry, Neri! I am here!" (L)

 

I look up and see Liana who’s standing directly in front of me.
Her hand cramps around her staff and she shivers with tears in her eyes.

Of course!
She must be scared too!
But she wants to protect me.
A spider draws close to us.
Wait, that's one of mine!
I don't want her to die, but if she attacks, her life will be forfeit.
What can I do?

 

  • "Don't attack her, please!"

 

This all is too much for me!
But Liana isn't faring any better.
She's clearly not used to violence.
And now she will die while protecting me, even if it is absolutely pointless.
I'm not even in any danger, but she will die because of me.
I need to do something!
I don’t want her to die!

I muster all my will and stand up.
I move my shaking legs and manage to close the short distance between us.
And then it happens almost by itself.
My fangs extend out of my mouth and I sink them into her arm.

 

"Ow, N-Neri!?" (L)

 

Liana just manages a surprised look before her eyes close and she drops down.
I put her to sleep.
At least I think I did.
If she can't participate in this fight anymore there should be no reason to attack her.
And maybe I can do something now.

It sounds so great if I say this, but in reality, my legs give out from terror and I fall on top of her.
Between the brief sight of large fangs so close to me and the fight around me, I can’t move at all anymore.
Yet, this is in fact protecting her.
The reason is the same as why I cannot stand, my fear.
My fear of spiders is like a standing order to all not to come close to me.
As long as the spiders have no superior orders from their own Arachne, they shouldn't come close.
So the fact that I'm lying on her is creating something like a barrier.

I also perceive how my spiders are assembling around us.
It seems like they want to enforce my wish to not let anything come close.
I am nearly completely disconnected and don't pay attention to anything around me anymore.

Soon everything seems to settle down and the screams dim.
And I hear voices!

 

"You can't leave humans alone. That they could establish such a position on our territory is unacceptable!" (E)

"Dealing with that other group took us far too long." (T)

"But they had priority! I mean, they systematically took our fence apart! That's just rude!" (M)

"Hmm, the hallucinogen worked, but I am not completely satisfied. The movements of the affected where too crude and sluggish. I want something more aimed. Maybe I should not go for the visual input but rather aim for the memories. If I exchange thoughts about acquaintances with those of hostility. Yes, that could work! So I might turn them much better against each other! Besides, the pain induction in the other was not overwhelming enough. There is too much of a risk that they stay operational till the venom wears them down. I'm contemplating abandoning this project." (K)

 

I am getting goosebumps!

 

"I think I've adjusted the acid wrong! It was too strong, there is not much left of this one." (A)

"Monster!" (E)

 

Did Eritu just kick a corpse?
And are you really the one to talk?

 

"You shouldn't be so mad Eritu! They killed some of ours, we kill them. This is how it works! All in all, this was a fine hunt!" (M)

"I know you are all excited sisters, but please focus here, we need to take care of this mess! The bodies have to be gathered and this... structure. I would like to remove it as soon as possible." (T)

"Hey, why are lil’ sis’ spiders gathering there?" (M)

 

 

I hear steps.

 

"Nerysi!?! You were here?! And that..." (M)

 

No!
What shall I do? How do I explain this?

 

"Hey everyone, come look at this! It's unbelievable!" (M)

"Hmm?" (A)

"What?" (T)

 

No, no, no!
They're coming closer!
What will they do to Liana if they notice her?

 

"Nerysi had her first hunt! Look how she embraces her prey! So cute! Just like me after my first time!" (M)

 

You've got it all wrong!!!

 

"No! This is a misunderstanding!" (N)

"I’m sure it was you! I can see the bite marks on her arm!" (M)

"I know this must have been much for you to take in, so you can hand her over to me now. (T)

"NO!" (N)

"Just like my first prey!" (M)

"I think you two have it wrong. This one is still alive, just unconscious." (K)

"Then let's finish her off!" (E)

 

She's still bloodthirsty!?
She is really angry about them killing her brood.
I slowly look back up again.
There aren't any spiders directly around me except for mine and the training has helped, so I can manage.

 

"Can't we just let her go? More than enough died here! She doesn't need to die too! Please!" (N)

"Nerysi, I am sorry, but they were far too close to us. It wouldn't be good to just let her go. She would convey our nest’s position." (T)

"No, I don't want Liana to die! She was nice to me!" (N)

"They killed my little ones!" (E)

"But she didn’t kill anyone! I was with her the whole time!" (N)

"S-still!" (E)

"I don’t have anything against it but if the others all disagree..." (A)

"Please! I don't want you to kill her! Please! (N)

"I'm sorry, but this is not just your decision! There would be consequences and we need to decide together to have a common course!" (T)

 

No!
What can I do?
They will kill her!

And I made her defenseless in addition!
She wouldn't have a chance in a fight, but still, I am at fault!
First, she was trying to defend me, and then I brought her down!
It's all my fault!
I'm responsible for anything that happens to her now!
I... I...

 

"I claim her!!!" (N)

 

70