Chapter 8: Somewhere to Belong
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She was gasping for air in the end, while her examiner was also extremely exhausted, but still standing.

“(Is she going to be fine?)” Marko has such worrying thoughts as he observes the duel to its conclusion, leaving the other two to converse by their lonesome.

He approached her as she struggled to stand back up, more from exhaustion than anything else, reaching out his hand. “Are you alright?”

“Hah!... More than… fine…” She replied as she took his hand anyway. “Appreciated the assistance… Nonetheless.”
“(She definitely perform better than I thought but that was still middle-of-the-road.)” He thinks to himself seeing her bravado. “Well you definitely need a break at least, can’t go out there without being at your best.”

“Yes… Let’s.” She said still breathing heavily.

The two return to the lobby and sit at a table, staying silent as time passes with only the occasional questions toward each other.

“It occurs to me I never ask for your name? So? What’s your name?” The girl sitting across from him asked.

“Oh. It’s Marko… What’s yours then?” He replied, unsure of how to ask back.
“Hmm… You can call me Yur.” She answered rather casually.

“(Would’ve expected someone who seems a bit pompous to have a long name…)” He snarked to himself, and tried to not make it show. “Alright then. Nice to know you, Yur.”

“And I you. It’s nice to have someone to assist me on my first day here… I must say it seems a bit more rowdy than expected…” She said as she looked around, mentioning how loud the guild can be at times.

“Quite… It does have people of all kinds here so that’s to be expected…” He said so on the fly.

“Not much of a conversationalist are you?” She teased.

“Not much to say right now unfortunately. I replied more often than actually talking.” Marko replied.

“Well that’s fine, I don’t need people running their mouths all day long.” She said with a somewhat reassuring smile.

“That’s good to hear…” He responded, then leaving the conversation dead in its tracks.

“Miss Yur, you will be designated at Coal-ranked halfway. Please enter your information here.” After a bit of silence between the two a staff member came in with pen and paper, to which Yur quickly filled in the information before gesturing at him to leave. She then looked back at Marko as he left.

“Coal huh? I expected myself to be at a much higher rank…” She said somewhat bitterly.

“You were off easy. The person I fought was so strong even with my friend we were completely trounced. I can tell whoever you fought was not even half her level.” He mentioned.

“Doesn’t that just insinuate my supposed inferiority more than anything!?” She said, starting to get annoyed.

“I didn’t mean it like that!” He said, trying to diffuse her tension. “(From what I can tell she’s clearly trained, but has no real experience to speak of… About on par if not slightly stronger than her examiner but still lost…) You’re strong, that much I can say for sure.”

“How encouraging…” She sarcastically said, but at least she has calmed down somewhat.

“(Now that I think about it, where is Dane and Pira?)” Marko thought to himself as he looked around. He might’ve left them alone but he didn’t expect them to up and leave so soon.

 

——————————————

 

“W-WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!?” Dane screamed out as he pointed towards the odd crater. Its appearance is too abnormal even in the world of magic, while Pira looks concerned but keeps quiet.

The shadows creeped over, darkness clipping through the floor, dirt disintegrating away into dark ashes, the area around the center wavers and volatile, moving like ripples of water.

“If this is what I think it is…” The leader muttered as she put away her normal sword and slowly stepped over for a closer look.

 

“r̷͍̜̤͚͓̲̠̎̉̊̋̈́̚͝0̴̧̮̯̮̤̀͗̔͆͘r̵̩̲̘̙̤̜̃̓̈▂̷̡͕̦̻̮̓̓̋▂̷̤̑͌͆▃̶̨̨̳̍̽͛̓̊̑▃̷̧̛͚̱͚̭̬̹̑̑̏͊́͝▄̷̡̩͓̭͖̯̔y̶͉̦͓͙̻͈̐̈́̒͆̐̕͜͝1̴̜̭̣̗̅̔̽͝≠̼̬͙̄͝h̵̡̗͎̗̎̓͝B̷̗̖͔͗̔!!!” Whatever is in that crater roared out incomprehensible sounds.

 

“Right on the money… You two stay back! And don’t look at that thing!” She commanded the two with Pira immediately covering Dane’s eyes and dragged him away.

*Shine*
Suddenly red lights appeared in her hand as it then envelops the area in the same kind of darkness, with Dane only catching a small glimpse of it as Pira didn’t cover his eyes well enough. Something manifested in her hand as the area was filled with incomprehensible power.

“HAAAAAH!” She yelled out and jumped into the crater to confront the creature inside herself as the area around them distorted further as they clashed.

“WHAT IS GOING ON!?” Dane shouted out, still panicking as all he heard were voices he couldn't comprehend.

 

——————————————

 

“(-probably doing some mundane requests or something…)” Marko concluded, just sitting around killing time and keeping Yur’s company.

*Rumble*

“Floor boards seem a bit shaky.” Yur commented as the ground seems to shake ever so slightly.

Soon enough her adventurer card is made and she can start doing requests for real.

“Alright! Time to finally start! Now what requests…” She said in excitement then went to thinking mode as she walked over to the request board. “Let’s try… this one!”

Marko walked over and saw that she took a request about hunting down some monsters. “Twin-deers’ head… Just a head?”

“I guess I should go for something more glorious.” Yur muttered as she was about to put the request back.

“Please don’t.” Marko stopped her seeing her knee jerk reaction. “Most other requests for the starting rank are really boring, you don’t want to do them.”
“Alright fine… If you say so.” She conceded with a sigh.

The two then went and registered the request at the reception then went on their way. Hopping onto the public carriages on their way out to the capital’s entrance.

“Guess these stuff just aren’t in the capital?” Yur asked him as both are still on the carriage.

“Right, there’s just no monsters around where people are for some reason… By the way, do you have bags to stuff the corpse in?” He answered and asked a question of his own.

“Yeah I do.” She said showing a bag she folded up and put in the supply bag. “I know some stuff about adventuring!”

“Right…” He said looking a bit worried at how proud she is of the simple answer and common sense.

Soon they reach the closest station to the capital’s entrance, getting out of the carriage and paying the coachman.

“It’s wonderful how cheap this ride is.” Yur mentioned as they both walked to the east entrance.

“Certainly is…” Marko muttered. It’s not an unheard concept for him so he doesn’t feel like appreciating it much.

Reaching the guard post they showed their adventurer card and the request copy and passed without issue.

“This is when we’re supposed to enter a wild area like forest or rivers, correct?” Yur asked as if trying to gain more validation.

“Right.” Marko said in a monotone voice, able to judge what’s up with her.

The two then casually stroll to the nearest forest.

“By the way, do you know anything about twin-deer?” Yur asked as they entered the forest.

“It’s supposedly one of the weakest monsters out there aside from lower goblins and slimes. They’re pretty common in less dangerous areas.” He answered as he continued to search for it. In the forest so close to the capital most dangerous monsters have been wiped clean, leaving only those one would call insignificant.

“I see. Guess that’s why it’s for beginner’s rank.” She concluded the obvious as the two continued to search for it, making sure to not make too much noises as to not alert any creatures in here.

Suddenly Marko gestured to her to stop as he pointed towards a pond. A creature with two heads walking towards it.

“Is that it?” Yur asked seeing the deer-like creature.

“Yeah. Wanna take a swing at it yourself?” Marko asked back. It was easy for him to kill it himself, but this is her outing so she should be doing it.

“Well… I guess I should. Make sure to look out for me in case anything goes wrong alright?” Yur responded with a request.

“I’ll make sure of that.” Marko said, showing some confidence.

“Good!… Hup!” She replied with a smile before jumping into action, brandishing her sword and aiming right towards its neck.

*Evade*

Unfortunately with its large line of sight it managed to anticipate and dodged her attack before it could connect.

It tried to retaliate by tackling her, but she swung her sword at it to stop it and ended up locking her blade with one of its many antlers before backing off again.

“(I didn’t quite expect that…)” Yur thought to herself as she went in for another attack, ducking down and slashing at one of its legs.

*Slice*

Which is quickly followed by slicing its neck off, giving her the victory.

“Hah! A flawless victory!” She boasted as she raised her sword into the air for a victory pose.

“(…It's been pretty dull having to watch over her. Whatever Dane is doing is probably more fun than this…)”

 

——————————————

 

“What’s going on now?” Dane asked as he and Pira brandished their weapons, with caricatures of humans and monsters surrounding them with hostile intent.

The area around them seems to become more unstable in front of their eyes. Sounds of violent battles raging on in the background between the two whose power they can’t hope to reach.

“No idea. Just stay close and make sure to not die alright? Best we can do is stall until she wins.” Pira answered as the shadowy creatures began closing up on them.

“Right… Nothing else for it!” He replied back with great conviction, grabbing tight to his greatsword and ready for what these creatures are about to attempt.

 

——————————————

 

“(-hopefully not in any sort of peril.)” Marko remarked, then noticed the girl looking at the decapitated head in disgust then walking over. “Can’t stomach yourself?”

“It’s disgusting alright!? You do it!” She said kicking the head towards him in panic.

“Don’t just beat up the… Nevermind, I’ll do it this time.” He responded, exasperated at her behavior, picking up the head and putting it in his own bag. “Let’s go.”

The two quickly make their way back to the guild, taking about half an hour before they arrive. Submitting the requested item and getting their pay and progression. It was an uneventful travel throughout the field and back inside the capital’s border.

“It was so little!” Yur complained as both sat down at a table.

“Well it was two people doing a pretty easy request, they’re going to split the difference regardless of our feelings on the matter.” Marko explained trying to ease her tension.

“Haaah… Just had to try some more I guess.” She muttered, leaning against the chair and looking a bit defeated.

“(Just have to try harder to get where she wants to be… I don’t even know where that is. Never asked her.)” Marko thought seeing his new companion’s eccentric behavior.

“Ugh… Haaaa…” Suddenly someone barged into the guild completely out of breath, two of them actually, clinging to each other.

“Ah. Dane, Pira.” Marko quietly called out as the two walked over and sat, seeing their miserable state, completely out of energy. “What in the world happened to you two?”
“Honestly I don’t have a clue…” Dane replied, his body sore and stamina spent. “We did complete the request but… Haaa… Payment will come later since something came up…”

“Must’ve been quite an extraordinary adventure.” Yur commented.

“Yeah right. More like a nightmare…” Pira snarked back, then noticed that she didn't recognize this girl, but heard off-handedly. “So you’re the girl flirting up with that guy.”
“Huh!?” Yur reacted with confusion.

“W-What do you mean flirting!?” Marko asked the accuser.

“Well I heard she was making you all flustered so I thought she was teasing or flirting or something…” Pira dully answered. “Guess I’m just imagining it.”

“It’s a leap in logic don’t you think?” Marko exasperatedly commented.

“I imagine you’re feeling something special with how preoccupied you are with her.” She retorted. He looked at her with a rather annoyed expression, that she could tell he was acting a bit odd.

“I was just concerned alright? It’s her start as an adventurer afterall.” He said, trying to dismiss the accusation.

“Right right… Whatever you say. Not really my problem anyhow.” Pira dismissively replied.

Soon enough the couple leave the two by their lonesome, thinking to take a long break after an unexpected event took place.

“So are you doing anything else today?” Marko asked as silence filled the air.

“Not really… I think I’ll hit up a place to rest… Got any good ideas?” She answered dismissively.

“Well I’m staying here so there’s that, you could rent a room here.” Marko gave an idea.

“Hmm… Seems rather uncouth but I may as well try.” She said, nodding to his answer.

“(How would things go for her I wonder…)” Marko remarked to himself, a bit worried.

 

The months passed by so quickly as he oversaw her. Becoming more accomplished, getting stronger, and more shenanigans taking place.

 

“More bandits…” Marko groaned as they were surrounded by them again. “Should’ve learned it’s not going to work!”

He shouted and activated [Flight Step], greatly increasing his speed as he went in and took out the bandits in a few seconds, leaving them unconscious and bleeding out.

“You didn’t even let me do anything!” Yur complained.

“Ah! Sorry. I was getting a bit mad seeing them again.” He replied, sounding embarrassed.

 

“Who’s that guy? Seems rather fancy I must say.” Yur commented as she saw a man with well-kept and regal appearance.

“No idea. Don’t care.” Marko replied dismissively.

 

“I’ll be going on requests with her if you don’t mind.” Marko said to his friend.

“Eh, it’ll be fine, that just means more time with Pira for me!” Dane said with a smile.

“(The heck does that mean?)” Marko thinks to himself, puzzled at his friend’s attitude.

“Hope you can make time to go on request with me again though, we’ve been teaming up less don’t you think?” Dane requested before they went their separate way.

“No promises.” Marko sarcastically responded.

 

“Isn’t this one for three people or more?” Marko pointed out.

“Ah crud…” Yur muttered.

“Seems you’re in need of another member?” The regal-looking man approached them to his chagrin.

“...Seems like it.” Marko hesitantly answered.

“Good! I want to try this one out. What’s your name by the way?” She smiled and asked the newcomer.

“I’m Natez. Nice to meet you two.” He politely introduced himself.

 

“I don’t want you to be with him alone.” Marko said to Yur as both were out of his earshot.

“Hm? Why?” She asked, confused at his somewhat hostile tone.

“Someone who presented himself like a saint on the first meeting? That’s suspicious no matter how you look at it.” He said, making his paranoia clear. “Too good to be true kind of scenario.”
“Not sure I get it but… I guess I can do that.” She said, not sounding very convincing.

“Whatever are you two saying?” The person in question asked as he saw the two talking by themselves.

“(I hope we can end this request as soon as possible…)” Marko thought to himself.

 

The battle that ensues as they took out a group of monsters ended rather quickly, with Marko and Yur slicing and dicing through them while on Natez’s end he kept the other monsters at bay with his ice spells, and finishing them off with his skillful swordplay.

After the whole ordeal was done and over with, Marko immediately pull Yur to the side to get away from a man he has terrible impression of.

“This is starting to feel like coddling and being overprotective, you know.” She pointed out, it’s something she’s getting sick of.

“I know that. I just don’t want the ‘knight in shining armor’ over there to try anything funny.” He said while Natez, who can hear bits of the conversation, gave them a funny look.

 

*Gulp*

“Ahhhh! That hits the spot!” Dane said as he drank another glass of beer, with Marko looking at him slightly exasperated at how much of a drinker he is.

The two now at a nearby bar, enjoying themselves, eating and getting shit-faced. The bar was loud and full of cheers alongside some musicians playing away to their heart’s content.

“(It’s definitely something I never really experience back then…)” Marko thought to himself as the festivities continued into the night. Some days it’s quieter, some days it’s this loud and crowded.

“Hey. You seem a bit stressed out. Anything you wanna say?” Dane asked, seeing that his friend isn’t enjoying it as much as usual.

“It’s just that… I’m a bit worried about possibly sketchy people sticking their nose where they shouldn’t.” He answered, sounding a bit sleepy.

“Well you just gotta make sure they’re intimidated or something. Show them that it’s gonna be a bad time messin’ with ya…” Dane tried to offer some advice.

“Yeah right. I’ll just end up looking like a thug.” He muttered hearing the somewhat extreme advice. (Then again nothing short of that will deter everyone isn’t it… But I don’t think I should go that far…)”

“Maybe. I dunno how people will treat you after that.” Dane dismissively said. “Probably not super duper well.”

“Yeah so that’s a no…” He said with a sigh.

“Is this about that girl again?” Dane asked, noticing him hanging out with her more and more.

“What if it is.” He responded, sounding apprehensive.

“You know it feels weird that you would be so protective of someone you barely know…” Dane explained his feelings on the matter. “Look. I know we should help each other out since we’re all people here, but you’re really focusing on her. Pira was probably right about you…”

Marko was frustrated with what Dane said, but wasn’t sober enough to come with a retort. Neither of them were really sober enough to argue, both were sleepy and a bit intoxicated.

“Actually. What about you? What’s with you and Pira? Are you getting to know her?” It took a while but Marko finally came up with a retort. What he didn’t quite expect was how smug Dane looked.

“Heh. Of course! I hang out with her all the time! We exchange stories, I get to know her parents, the whole nine yards! Haaah… She was so lovely during our dates…” He began boasting, a bit to Marko’s surprise with how he seems to only care about the world making tales about him, becoming a legend, etcetera. “It was soooo romantic like you wouldn’t believe! You should try getting closer with Yur, Marko! I’m sure you won’t regret it!”
“(Of all things this guy is gonna boast about-!) Go explode, why don’t you! Why have you never told me!” Marko snapped back, sounding really irritated.

*Gulp*

“The heck you on about? I told you about it all the time… Wait, did you think I was joking? Have a little more faith would ya?” Dane said after chugging another mug.

“Grrrr!” Marko mumbled, irritated and drowsy. He’s gonna need more drinks to chug these revelations down…

0