Chapter 9: Broken Routine
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“By the way. I’ve been attacked by bandits again.” Marko doesn’t know if he should scold her or cry hearing that.

“Can’t you maybe wear something less conspicuous?” He asked her in a strained voice.

“What? These armors are great, don’t you know? Am I not supposed to use them?” She retorted, sounding a bit displeased.

“I’m talking more about your jewelry.” He clarified. Nothing shows that you are wealthy more than these shiny cosmetics.

“These? But they’re enchanted! I can’t just not wear them, it'll be a waste!” She complained further to his horror.

“Enchanted?” He repeated as he doesn’t quite understand what she’s going on about.

“Do you not know? Some equipment can be blessed to increase its wearer’s strength, wasn’t there a shop of this kind of item at the center of the capital?” She explained to him.

“(So that’s what that shop was-!?) Wait, so that means you’re using them as a crutch…” He realized a few things with that statement.

“Don’t try to devalue my performance so suddenly! It’s just a blessing to make me less tired! And small mana regeneration… And a minor regenerative blessing…” She tried to downplay her reliance on it but he’s not buying it.

“Haaah… Could you at least not put it on unless we’re on a request? I don’t think you need to wear it all the time…” He requested again.

“It’s quite a bit of pain putting these rings back on and off don’t you think? I refuse.” She said, stubborn as always.

“Can’t get through you can I.” He muttered with a sigh. Since it was getting nowhere he tried to change the topic. “Did you get hurt at all?”

“I’m fine… Someone came to my rescue. Came from nowhere and left to nowhere. Didn’t even get to see their face even as they seemed to approach me. Almost like they’re covered in darkness…” She casually mentioned.

“(Sounds like a spy or an assassin or something… or maybe also a mage?)” Marko thought after hearing her testimony. “(Well at least she’s safe.)”

“Hmhm~” He heard a humming sound from the nearby table, seeing the bard he met a few months back playing his harp and giving the lobby a rather calm atmosphere.

“What a wonderful melody.” Yur commented. Marko himself does like the tune but doesn’t feel like expressing it himself.

“Glad you like it young lady. And nice to see you again the other-… Ahem, the young adventurer. Seems you have gotten stronger since.” The bard replied and greeted Marko, still playing the harp.

“You have pretty good eyes.” He commented, not really sure where this is going.

“Seems you’re going to continue with this little routine, little socializing, doing some requests, getting stronger. I can respect your dedication. I can say that much.” He said casually. Odd things to say.

“Why say all that?” Marko asked, starting to feel suspicious of the bard already.

“No particular reason, I merely think you’re a bit persistent, perhaps trying to reach the status of a living legend, something few have courage to do.” He replied, unfazed by Marko’s cautious tone. “Or maybe… It’s just the only-”

“Haaah~ That was such a mess… Oh hi Marko.” Dane suddenly walked in, looking like a mess as he sat at the same table as the two. “Oh hi Jedi…bidah? Jedidia? Uhhh…”

“Just Jedi is fine.” The bard said to Dane’s greeting, who has learned the bard’s name at some point without Marko knowing. “Seems you’re rather exhausted.”

“Yeah… Miss Belphi is… as brutal as always.” Dane muttered, putting his head down on the table.

“What else could you expect from one with so many titles related to demons?” Jedi remarked.

“Who’s that?” Marko mindlessly asked, hearing a name he’s not really familiar with.

“““Huh???””” All he got was a stupefied voice from all three sitting close to him, as if he said something extremely asinine. He wasn’t expecting Dane and Yur of all people looking at him like he’s an idiot.

“Haaah… I suppose a tale needs to be recounted for one so uninitiated…” Jedi said with an exasperated sigh. “Belphi. One of many titles. One of many feats. Daughter of the dreaded Black Knight, Hero of the Red Sun, the Flower Devil, the Bloodied Flower, and no doubt many more titles to come…”

Jedi takes a deep breath while Dane and Yur almost look disappointed in Marko for that very question. “(What did I do wrong!?)”

“A Mythril-ranked adventurer, highest possible rank of all, and a mercenary most lethal. Willing to take jobs from not just the guild but anyone willing to pay a fortune, one with no equal in combat. Hunting dragons as a young teen, conquering a foul dungeon that almost took the King-to-be’s life, massacring hoards of adventurers with Conflicting Requests, the list goes on. A name feared even by the King himself as rumor goes. A true right hand of the King some may say, and the strongest the kingdom has to offer. While a mercenary’s life is scorned by many, no one dared to scorn her due to her status as the strongest, even armies falter in her wake, monsters can feel fear in her presence, and she will do all of that without a shred of mercy. All adventurers know better than to get in her way. If her task ended up requiring you to die, you will. End of story.” Jedi explained in length, making sure to drill it into Marko’s head that it’s the one name meant to be feared.

“(Sounds like a final boss material or something…)” Unfortunately for him, his intent does not shine through in Marko’s thoughts.

“Please take this at least a bit seriously or you will die.” Jedi said, sounding concerned for Marko, able to tell from his expression that he’s not taking his caution seriously enough.

“I support that too!” Dane chimes in.

“Come on, what's the chance of running into her anyway? I doubt she’s doing anything remotely normal if what you said is true.” Marko dismisses their concerns, as he doesn’t see himself even confronting her for at least a long while.

“Haaah…” Dane just let out a defeated sigh hearing that. “Welp. Not gonna bother arguing. I need a long nap so I’ll go to my room.”

Dane left the conversation and went out to get some rest.

“If you don’t heed my warning then so be it… It’s meaningless anyway.” Jedi said before walking away to sit further from the two.

“That was kind of awkward.” Yur muttered. There was an air of danger in the two’s words, a sort of bad omen that’s hard to shake off.

“They act like I was burning bridges or something.” He muttered to himself.

“I mean what you said wasn’t wrong exactly… but it still sounds really stupid.” Yur replied with an attitude that for a moment makes him see her sticking her tongue out.

“I really don’t wanna hear that from you of all people.” He snarked back. “So what’s with you and bandits anyway… Make fun of their mom or what?”

“I would never! They just seem to be oddly persistent, carrying the same symbol on all of them too!” She clarified, clearly not having it with his little joke.

“Probably because they’re the most notorious ones or something? The Iakesi Bandit… What the hell is that stupid name anyway?” Marko concluded. “(Would be great if they just all get captured or die or something. I just want her to stop getting into trouble already… Speaking of symbols, there’s a weird… sci-fi symbol on her rings and shit. Maybe I’m just imagining it.)”

“Wasn’t there a special warning against them? Where’s the hero to vanquish such evil!” She said in a dramatic tone.

“I’m talking about you damn it!” She said pointing her finger at me.

“Me!?” Marko sounded his surprise at her brazen request.

“Who else could I depend on to deal with those rascals?” She explained.

“I don’t know. The Mythril-ranked adventurer we were talking about earlier?” He said with some uncertainty.

“Well she’s usually pretty darn busy so I don’t know anything about that.” Yur explained further. “Besides. She’ll probably bleed us dry of money if we try to ask her.”

“I guess it might.” He mumbled, clearly feeling a bit of pressure at her expectation for him. While he can confidently take down even a dozen of the bandits, he probably has to deal with a lot more if he wants the problem to go away completely, or perhaps find the ringleader, whoever it may be. “I’ll probably have to take out an entire hideout for that to work, and no one has a clue where it is.”

“Isn’t that just inconvenient…” She commented with a sigh. While she has come out unscathed so far, she isn’t stupid enough to not know that her luck will run out at some point.

“Maybe if… No, if interrogations worked we would’ve had the location by now.” Marko muttered. There are many of the bandit group that were jailed and no doubt interrogated, and nothing came up despite months passing by. “(Are they seriously that tight-lipped?)”

“What a troublesome bunch. If they just stop targeting me that would be great, or if they just stop being such a low life altogether.” Yur muttered. Marko himself is not quite sure if he’s even ready to deal with what might be a small army. From the looks of it, even though more than a dozen bandits have been captured or killed, they’re clearly still causing trouble with how there is notice about them posted on the bounty board.

“Haaah… Let’s just get some requests done to take our mind off things…” Marko proposed. Walking to the request board and began checking it out.

 

“Are you sure you wanna try this?” Marko asked as the party approached the reception.

“Of course! Have you never heard how much this kind of request builds character?” She said, undeterred.

“I mean I have read more than enough stories to know that but still?” Marko still felt unsure as they reached the counter.

“Ease your concern Marko. You may not trust me but I trust you, I’m not going to try anything funny.” Natez said, trying to ease Marko’s obvious stress.

“Like hell that means anything!” Marko pointed out.

“Come on you two, can you stop fighting?” A newcomer said, build like a giant ball, large body of muscle and fat but surprisingly soft spoken.

“Indeed you two should stop.” Yur chimed in.
“Ugh. Fine. (This guy really is suspicious if he feels hella a lot more shady that cartoon character over there.)” Marko relents as he looks at the guy who volunteers to be the fourth member of the escort. His bloated appearance gave him a soft round look. “(Looked a bit friend-shaped)”

 

“Haaah…” Marko takes a long sigh as the wagons slowly make their way to the destination. “(If only the client isn’t insanely paranoid to ask for four people…)”

“Relax, Marko. It’s not as if you’re on guard duty or anything.” Yur said seeing his bad mood.

“That’s not really my problem.” He said.

“Indeed. The problem seems to be me, a menace to society.” Natez said teasingly.

“Please don’t start this up again. Can’t we all be friends here?” The giant man requested, clearly bothered by the hostility.

“Just bare with it, Krib.” Yur suggested, already having to deal with Marko’s emanating hostility more times than she can count.

“I just hope they can shove the banter away. We’re gonna pass more than a few dangerous areas and make sure everyone is safe for two days...” Krib noted, repeating the reasoning for the demand of at least four adventurers.

“I’m sure they’ll be fine once something serious comes up. I’ll just yell it in Marko’s ears and it’ll all be good.” Yur said, trying to reassure the relatively novice adventurer.

“I know full well we’re passing somewhere dangerous!” Marko said seeing the two clearly losing faith in him.

“And you best be prepared. Large woodlands and rivers mean a lot of life and danger!” Natez reminded, to Marko’s irritation.

“Fuuuu…” Marko took a deep breath, breathing in and out slowly to calm himself.

“Talking about living rent-free.” Natez muttered in amusement.

Thankfully for the other two, that’s where the banter ends as silence fills the wagon they’re in aside from occasional shaking. The surreal scene of one plain looking guy, two people wearing bright and fancy clothing despite their occupation, and a large man both horizontally and vertically.

As they still haven’t entered the dangerous areas just yet, the wagons traveled smoothly for hours as the sun began to set.

A campfire was set up as the four began patrolling the area and keeping the client and the wagons safe.

“So far smooth sailing isn’t it.” Yur commented, with Krib taking the guard duty first. She looked up at the night sky, not paying much attention.

“About as expected. After all, we haven’t entered the monster’s habitat just yet. Depending on our client we may take a detour to the river to the east as well, which would up the risk factor.” Natez chimed in. Tomorrow will be where they will test their skills. While way less dangerous than the great mysterious forest far west of the kingdom that has covered a large chunk of the continent, the area they’re about to pass is still filled to the brim with all kinds of monsters. “Meanwhile if he tried to go around it if he feels extra unsafe, it might take over a week.”

“All so he can transport his riches to his village, is that right?” Yur asked, wanting confirmation for what she thinks is a bit odd.

“Indeed. No doubt having so many dangerous woodlands isolating them from the capital the village would no doubt be running short on resources.” Natez explained further.

“Quite personal for you isn’t it.” She commented, thinking back on his motivation to join this escort mission specifically.

“Of course. I’m also from there.” He stated confidently.

“A shady guy from a poor village… Even if that’s true it sounds like a sob story to make people cry for you. Sounds like a cliche…” Marko said, making his retained hostility clear.

“I do believe you did say that at one point. Cliche sob story it may be but it is something that still happens.” Natez dismissed it, seeing as Marko’s suspicion is ultimately inconsequential. “(There was never any worry about his tone is there… Just words and nothing more in the end… Like a dog who’s all barks but no bite… Well he is strong physically I can admit that much.)”

Soon all of them took guard duty until the sunrise. With the client yelling at them to hurry into the wagon already.

“I was having a nice beauty nap too! That old man…” Yur complaint despite staying awake the least out of the four, something none of them dared to pointed out.

The wagons began leading them into a woodland, with the four looking out with concern on their faces, as it’s more likely than not that they will be attacked by something as they saw the land covered in trees with the hillside that looks to funnel them into a small area of dense woodlands.

They all have their hands on their weapons as the trees and hills block the sun, leaving a grim atmosphere as the shadows loomed over them, the wagons traveling through the road less traveled.

***ROAR***

“Seems like it’s time!” Marko shouted out to the rest of the group. They leaped out of the wagon and guarded the wagons that had stopped its movement, looking around for monsters that no doubt were targeting the intruding vehicle.

Suddenly multiple monsters jumped at them with no warnings, each adventurer holding tight to their weapons and ready to fight. Marko wasn’t too sure how others will fare and what they’re going against, as they have split further apart to make sure no monsters slip through.

In front of him were a basilisk and a troll. A giant lizard on all fours and a monster that looks like a giant goblin, green and monstrous with great strength behind its large build.

The troll ran towards him with wild abandon, throwing a punch with its massive arm.

*Evade* *Slash*

He easily dodged the predictable attack as he managed to get a few cuts on it in retaliation. The troll’s attacks are relentless, rushing it to attack him but failing each time as all of its approaches were the same, a rather common thing with monsters and their wild yet still predictable nature.

“(This is getting annoying!)” Marko was getting irritated that it kept going despite slowly being whittled away by him each time it tried to get close. “[Flight Step]!”

He used the speed-boosting spell to run further away from the troll before running back and gathering more speed.

*Leap* *Slice*

Leaping into the air at high speed he sliced the troll’s head clean off. One enemy down out of many.

“(Now to-) Urgh!” Before he could gather his thought after checking that the troll really is killed off, parts of his body turned stiff and weak. A strong light blasted at him and left him disoriented, turning to its source to see the basilisk staring at him ready to strike. He was focusing too much attention on the faster and more aggressive monster to notice it. “Screw… off!”
Even as he is kneeling on the ground and barely able to move or feel his body, he manages to concentrate and weaves mana into a few rock projectiles and launches them at the giant lizard. It managed to slow it down but not quite put it down just yet, leaving it more paralyzed than he is. “[Fireball]!”

*SIZZ*

He launched a large ball of flames towards it to finish it off, exploding and engulfing the monster in flames upon contact, finishing it off.

“M-Move damn it!” He struggled to move as the infamous paralytic gaze of the basilisk’s effect lingered on him. The strength difference between them wasn't enough for him to shake it off so quickly.

He limped around, still holding his sword tight as he walked towards the sound of battle closest to him, and seeing Yur struggling against a few kobolds surrounding her. The taller and scaly goblins close in on her while she looks tired, she may be able to take a few out on her own but this is a few too many for her to handle. “[Earth… Bullets]!”
Multiple rock bullets formed and launched at the kobolds at extremely high speed, killing all but one as they are aimed at the their heads, leaving just one who managed to dodge it in time, but leaving itself wide open to-

*Slash*

-Yur’s attack, seeing the opportunity to strike. She was relieved to see him but immediately changed her mood as soon as she saw his state, shaky and stiff, still having trouble moving. “Are you alright!?”
“Not dying or anything… But I can barely move, so there’s that.” He snarked, trying to not worry her too much. She walked over to try to support him, but he refused. “Just go help the rest already…”

“But I-!” 

“That… won’t be… necessary…” Natez approached them, sounding heavily winded, with Krib behind him looking hell of a lot worse, body completely covered in sweat as he can’t even hold his greataxe anymore.

“...Is the attack over?” Yur asked, hoping that this is all of the attack.

“Yep… Let’s get going already… All of us need a good rest don’t we?” Natez said, putting on a strained smile.

Everyone silently nodded and got on the wagon, getting their deserved rest as the travel out of the forest area went smoothly. The other two noticed Marko’s strange movement as well, with Krib asking first. “Are you alright?”

“Just some basilisk gimmick. I’ll be fine…” Marko replied, clearly in a bad mood about it.

“I see… Unfortunately the village doesn’t have anything to cure such an ailment, at least the last time I checked.” Natez noted. “Still, a basilisk huh… Neither Krib or I faced anything even remotely as dangerous.”

“Unhelpful as always.” Marko groaned, not really knowing how long it’ll take for him to get better.

“Just don’t move too much. From what I’ve heard you’ll turn stiff like stone if you were to overexert yourself.” Natez advised, disregarding Marko’s snark, insteading smiling to show how he’s not bothered by the comment. “Not turned into stone mind you. That’s just an exaggerated rumor.”

“Yeah yeah…” Marko mumbled, with Yur looking the most concerned of the three, something others can see clearly.

Soon enough the moon rises and night permeates the sky, leaving the group to once more guard the wagons, each taking turns to make sure it won’t be attacked, though now that they make their way out of the most dangerous part of the trip, it doesn’t feel as necessary.

“Argh!” It was Marko’s shift and he groaned out loud and woke up Yur immediately. She quickly grabbed her equipment and ran over to him, fearing for his life.

“Marko!” She shouted out, seeing him collapsed onto the ground, his body stiffen and riddled with pain. Yur quickly dragged him back into the wagon, while seeing the other two also awoken.

“Guess that monster’s curse is no joke huh…” Natez commented.

“Damn it… Hey, Natez. Does your village have some place we could lodge at? Doesn’t matter how unrefined it may be.” Yur asked, showing hints of desperation.

“Hmm… Guess we can’t let him suffer all the way til we’re back at the capital can we. I’m pretty well acquainted with people back home so I’m sure at least one of them could offer a room.” Natez answered, sounding confident in his connections to his home village. He then turned to the Krib. “Would that be fine with you? It could take days until he recovers.”

“Of course. We came all the way here as a group, we go back as a group right? No way I’m gonna leave anyone behind.” Krib confidently said with a large yet gentle smile.

“Heh. Of course we do.” Natez said with a grin before looking back at Yur. “There we have it, He’ll be fine.”
“Thank you. Truly…” Yur said, sounding relieved, her voice almost shaking.

The rest of the night goes by with the three cycling the guard duty around while Marko sleeps in the wagon, trying his best to recover. When the sun finally came the travel continued, with Marko able to move around at least remotely normally.

Marko didn’t comment on what happened to him that night, despite the three being more than aware of what transpired.

“Don’t worry. I’ll make sure you get plenty of rest. The least I can do since you helped my village out.” Natez said, breaking the silence. “(I was planning on having them stay over anyway. It’s still a long uncomfortable escort request so they must be longing for warm beds and such, but now they have no choice in the matter. This is like some sort of plot convenience…)”

“Make sure you actually do alright?” Yur said to Marko, saying to playfully to ease his tension.

“Heard you the first time.” Marko grumbled, having trouble making sudden movements, but otherwise still feeling like giving a few snarks back.

There wasn’t any banter as the ride continued unimpeded, Marko still feeling weak and stiff, needing a lot of time to rest, somewhere that isn’t shaking and uncomfortable to sit in for a long period of time.

“We’re here!” Suddenly the wagons slowed down as the client spoke out, with the four peaking their heads out and seeing that they’re at the village entrance.

“This place seems less humble than I expected. How do they make it look so thriving I wonder…” Yur commented. The village is a lot larger and more prosperous than its isolation due to the dangers that segregating them from the rest of the kingdom would suggest. While certainly not on the level of the town close to the capital, it’s definitely better than the likes of Marko and Dane’s home village.

Soon they got the client’s signature and payment, leaving only going back to the guild to increase their rank and officially complete the request. Unfortunately Marko is not in a good enough condition to go back past the forest of monsters again just yet.

Natez began approaching his old acquaintances, requesting them for a place for the three to stay while he went to his old house. The three get a spare room in different houses close to each other. Despite also looking for a cure, no one knows any that can cure or at least fasten Marko’s recovery.

Marko himself can’t really do anything except sleep for the rest of the day to wake up somewhere unfamiliar with his hands chained.

“Wait… what? Where am I?” He still felt drowsy as he woke up in a dark room, or rather a cell in some sort of cave dungeon.

“Woke up, have you? Thought you died in your sleep.” A cell on the other side spoke out, revealing Natez who had both hands and arms chained.

“Where the fuck are we!?” Marko asked, seeing that Natez is more aware of the situation.

“The Iakesi Bandit’s base I believe. I can see their symbol when they drag me here.” Natez causally answered. “Those dastards surrounded me in my own home and apparently the town’s guards were in cahoots… Did they kidnap you while you were asleep or something?”

“How should I know!? We should get out of here!” Marko said, trying to break free.

“Don’t be hasty! There’s nothing stopping our magic and such but there’s no way we can get out if this is the main base of the bandits.” Natez said, trying to stop Marko from doing anything risky. “At least we shou-”

“Oi! You sissy boy! The Boss wants something from ya!” Suddenly a large and rough-looking bandit shouted out, addressing Natez and his pretty boy look, opening up the cell and dragged him away without Natez even getting to say anything.

Marko for his part just stays quiet until he can’t hear them anymore. Alone and with a few thoughts in his head as to how all of this happened. “(What the hell do they want to do with me anyway… And where are the others… Where’s Yur!)”

A lot of thoughts passed by as time passed and nothing came by, anxiety and panic built up on and on in his mind, clouding his thoughts…

*SNAP*

He broke off his handcuffs, leaving a numbed wrist as he used as much strength as he could to bend the tough metal bars, just enough for him to squeeze by, tiring his arms. He immediately takes a look at other cells to find no one else. “(Maybe Yur is still safe? If that’s true then I need to leave! But what if she’s elsewhere!? I have no idea at all! I need to find an exit!)”

He tried to navigate through the caverns he’s in, from what he can tell the place is turned into a massive bandit hideout if Natez’s words are to be believed, with furniture, dug out parts, human-made structures, and so on. The whole place is nicely lit up with torches to make walking around the place much easier, not that he knows exactly where he’s going.

*Slam* *Smack*
He found one patrolling bandit by his lonesome and attacked him with his weapon, and quickly ran from the scene hoping no one could tell what happened and where he’s going. The sounds echoing in the dungeon however doesn’t do him any favors, and soon everyone will be alerted of his escape.

He ran, desperate to look for the exit, trying many paths and ended up finding nothing of importance, with no doubts bandits patrolling and guarding the place on his tail.

He ran into a large area with a singular path to who knows where. It could be the exit, or it could be deeper into the bandit’s lair. It doesn’t really matter as long as he gets out by the end of all this.

“Ugh!” Unfortunately for him a certain ailment wouldn’t leave him alone as he felt his legs stiffens up for a moment, suddenly bringing him down to a halt and a jolt of pain.

“Seems you really are that predictable. Brute force method it is then. Marko.” A voice taunted him on the other end of the path with a wicked grin.

0