Chapter 11: Seeking New Heights
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marko woke up.

The sun rises and a new day begins. Sleeping comfortably before the sunlight flashes through.

*Yawn*

He yawned loudly, waking the one sleeping in the same bed as well.

“Hmmhmm… Good morning…” She muttered, waking up with a quiet yawn, clinging to him.

Soon both of them get out of bed and dress up, walking downstairs.

A quiet home near the outer ring of the capital. A rather humble abode for the two of them not too far from the guild.

“...Going to the guild today?” Yur asked, relaxing on the couch while Marko equipped his armor.

“Yeah. Just like always.” He casually replied, before taking a small pause before commenting further. “Guess you’re not going today?”
“I’ll take a break for today. You really should take more time to relax yourself.” She said, clearly wanting him to take things easy.

“...I’ll think about it.” He half-heartedly replied. He has been working almost every day and hasn’t stopped, and he doesn’t see it stopping until something happens, something that will shake the status quo he set up.

“About what I thought…” She said with a sigh. “I’ll get a meal prepared for the afternoon. Remember to come back.”

“Don’t worry. I will.” He said with a small smile on his face as he left.

Taking the public carriage, he went to the guild immediately and looked up some requests, seeing his old friend there as well.

“Ah! Marko!” Dane called out to him, with both seeing that they’re by themselves this time. “Guess Yur don’t feel like it today?”
“Yeah.” Marko replied simply. “Same with Pira then?”
“Yep. I mean she usually come here less than me anyway, but seems like Yur came here less nowadays.” Dane commented.

“I can tell. It doesn’t really bother me anyway, actually nice that she doesn’t always put herself in trouble.” Marko replied, thinking back on the times where her eagerness gets them into trouble.

“I can imagine.” Dane said with a chuckle. “You’re a bit overprotective at times…”

“Of course I have to be. You don’t let people you love get in danger do you?” Marko responded, sounding rather bemused.

“Well there’s that and be worried all day and night. You were like that before even being a thing.” Dane pointed out casually, before seeing that they’re getting railroaded into an argument. “Ahem… So anyway wanna team up?”
“Yeah sure.” Marko replied, not really preferring one way or another.

“Then let’s start looking then!” Dane said, quickly go to the request board and check requests before Marko could even reply.

“(Still as active as ever.)” Marko mused to himself, slowly walking over unlike his friend.

 

They traveled a long distance, going north east of the kingdom, looking around for any clue of their target and where it could be.

“Are these large footprints from it?” Dane pondered as he saw some massive footprint in the ground, they’re comparable in size to a car. “It’s said it’s a large golem right?”
“Yeah, but is it this big?” Marko commented, seeing how massive the faint footprints are.

“I mean big enough that they can tell where it is.” Dane pointed out. They have a pretty clear idea of where this behemoth is because there are witnesses seeing it from afar, all able to describe it as massive. “Probably quite strong.”

“I would imagine it would be with if it’s that big.” Marko noted. Both continued to search along the trails of this golem that has gone rogue due to unknown circumstances. It was definitely alarming that it requires at least Gold Rank to take this request, which signifies how severe the situation may be.

Their search was uneventful, following obvious trails yet didn’t find the golem yet, clearly it has traveled far from where it was sighted. Marko is left with his thoughts for a moment. “(For an important quest this sure feels boring so far… Maybe a few more and I’ll reach this Mythril Rank everyone is so gung ho about…)”

“Hey. Marko. It has been two years right?” Dane suddenly asked in the quiet moment. Marko is left confused at his words, making it clear through his expression for Dane to clarify further. “Two years since we left home.”

“Ah… I guess so… You’ve been keeping track?” He responded, sounding rather unsure. He himself didn’t think back on the village much.

“Yeah… We should go back, one of these days. We promised, didn’t we?” Dane mentioned a promise from what seemed like such an impossibly long time ago, at least in Marko’s view.

“...Guess we did do that…” Marko muttered, thinking back on when they left, when they said their goodbyes, when they promised to return, it started to come back to him. “Hmm…”

“Thinking about Cece?” Dane asked, vividly remembering his friend’s bold declaration.

“What if I am?” Marko replied. He started to remember many humiliating defeats during their many spar, and old grudge resurfaced.

“Could’ve sounded less butthurt there buddy. Well it should go away when we visit them and we give her a piece of our mind… Well just you I guess, I didn’t say anything.” Dane said somewhat playfully, trying to lighten up his friend’s day.

“(It’ll be a rematch alright… I’m much stronger than when I started, and if anything is gonna prove that… Well I need to find and kill this golem first.)” Marko thought to himself, feeling rather confident that he’ll win when next they met. “Well let’s get this done and over with before talking about it more.”
“Alright then, whatever you say buddy.” Dane put off the conversation as asked and continued the search.

However soon the trails ran cold, they did find something, but they don’t think it’s the golem.

“It’s… like a massive house… made of wood… and looks like it collapsed.” Dane’s oh so eloquent description showed just how out of place it is. The best they can call it is a massive pile of wood, or rather a small pile of massive wood, all seemed to be stacked on haphazardly next to the nearby woods. “Think this has anything to do with the golem?”

“I think so. Otherwise the trails wouldn’t lead us here.” Marko replied. He began looking around the area, to see if he could catch it hiding or moving around somewhere, meanwhile Dane just looked at the pile more, able to easily walk in because of how large it is and seeing the pile from the inside.

“Huh?” Dane let out a stupefied voice as he saw something within the pile of wood. “(Red gem… thing? It’s massive… Like almost as big as me.)”

He reached out for it only for the pile of wood he’s under to shake, causing him to panic and run away fearing its collapse.

“What’s going on!?” Marko, noticing the phenomenon, also ran over to see what caused his friend to panic.

Unexpectedly a few massive humanoids came out of the woods, ranging in color from red, blue, and green. All wearing loincloths and have distorted heads with fangs and horns, each wielding clubs or large logs.

“(Oni? Ogre? What the hell do I call these things?)” Marko thought to himself seeing the monsters. “Brace yourself!”
Both of them stare at the demonic beings closing in on them…

*CRASH*
Before anyone could register it, part of the pile of wood crushed the ogre-like creatures before they even posed a problem for the two, with the rest of them fleeing the scene quickly while leaving the two confused at what even happened.

Suddenly the pile of wood began to stand up, an absurd looking event that the two witnessed.

“What in the world is…” Dane muttered, holding tight on his sword as the pile of wood stood up, properly showing its form.

A massive vaguely humanoid figure stood tall. Standing roughly half the height of a skyscraper, and by far the largest enemy the two have ever faced. Made entirely out of wood with its head having a large mana gem embedded as its core.

“I… I think we found the golem…” Marko said nervously, looking up and seeing just how much it dwarfs the two in height.

There was a moment of stillness as neither side moved at all, staring at each other, the large gem in its head that is also the core looking like a red demonic eye that is assessing its prey.

“Move!” Marko commanded as both saw a fist suddenly descending down on them, leaping out of the way as it hit the ground loudly. “Tch! [Flare]!”

*BOOM*
Marko pointed his arm at the towering wooden golem and created a massive burst of flames that enveloped its lower body for a moment, but quickly subsided, with it not being lit up at all and seemed immune to the attack.

“What the hell!?” Marko shouted out, vocalizing his disbelief. He was hoping a brief but powerful burst of flame would cripple its wooden body.

“Well if that doesn’t work then how about this!” Dane recklessly threw his prized sword into the air, spinning up high as he jumped to reach it, then descending back down and aiming for its leg joint.

*Slash*

The massive golem visibly shakes as the attack connects, but it wasn’t taking that offense lying down.

*Kick*

Still not landing on his feet just yet, it kicked the dropping adventurer, sending him flying away as his friend looked on with shock.

Dane ended up rolling on the ground for a few seconds, bouncing around with his body bruises further with each impact before he could stop it from going longer.

Marko couldn’t focus on his friend however as the golem set its eye on him. Once more trying to attack him with a fist descending down, at a speed that’s terrifying for its size.

“[Flight Step]!” He shouted as he activated his signature spell, quickly getting himself away from the incoming attack.

Suddenly as the fist once more reached the earth, the golem noticeably buckled, catching Marko’s attention as he realized that Dane’s attack had far more effect than he realized.

*Sizz* *Strike*

He imbued his sword in flames as he ran towards the damaged joint, this time making sure it began to burn bright before making his retreat.

The flames don't spread too far from its joint, but it does keep the golem from moving around too much, giving Marko breathing room while Dane can stay still and recover.

*SLAM*

“Argh!” He was perhaps a bit too relieved, as the golem’s long limb allows it to easily reach him despite his retreat and its wound. Its palm reached him and sent him flying as well, but able to stabilize himself and get back on his two feet fast enough to react to the incoming attack.

Dodging to the side as the fist slams straight down, the earth shakes and Marko is shaky.

His gliding body was able to move around easily despite that however, so he quickly moved away far enough from the golem for it to not reach him lest it moves, which at the moment have some trouble doing so.

“Oof!” The enchantment did not last long however as he fell down, standing back up to his feet feeling rather unstable, his legs began to buckle as well.

*Sizz*

Seeing as he made a safe distance between them, he began chanting quietly as spears of flame manifested from thin air.

*BOOM*

Multiple spears were launched at the staggered giant, rapidly depleting his mana as he continued to attack it from afar. Each attack explodes and stops the golem from moving, a consolation considering that each strike doesn’t damage the golem too much.

“(This thing is way too resilient!)” Marko complained to himself, while he can see part of its body burnt and chipped off, they’re essentially equivalent to scratches, tiny wounds that can easily be shrugged off. He then turned his attention to its head and saw the large glowing gem in the middle of it, stopping his spells and thinking further. “(Maybe if we could lodge the core from its body… But even with it one leg down that’s like more than a few dozen feets…)”

He pulled out his sword and ran at it with wild abandon, seeing that it’s still downed on its knee and an easier target to hit. “[Flight Step]! [Reinforcement]!”

*Leap*

With the enchantment and a powerful leap, he launched himself towards the golem and ready to strike its head, aiming at its neck thinking to sever its core embedded head clean off.

*CRACK*

A sound of something crack and shattered. Unfortunately for him however, it was not the golem’s neck, but instead… “(M-My sword!)”
He landed back down clumsily seeing his broken sword, lucky that the golem didn’t even take notice of his attack at first, allowing for a clean yet futile attack.

*Sweep*

It tried to retaliate by swiping at him, but not fast enough to connect as he noticed the incoming massive attack and get out of its range.

“(It’s not world-class or whatever but I strengthened it! Just what kind of weapon can scratch this thing? Should I keep using fire spells?)” Many thoughts ran through Marko’s head. Somehow his best attempt at physical attack was thwarted by its unprecedented durability, despite his friend being able to cripple it himself. “(How did Dane… His sword!)”

The special weapon gifted to Dane, a greatsword with polished and sharp granite blade emanating intimidating strength and toughness, dark gold ornamental hilt with blue gem embedded in the middle.

Marko can tell it’s not an ordinary sword once he first laid eyes on it two years ago after the incident. He may not know of its true origin, but it’s clear it’s a weapon of great power. “(That thing is a legendary weapon in its own right. It clearly can hurt this thing… Where’s Dane!?)”

He immediately ran around to look for his friend who seemed to move from last he saw him. He was definitely alive, but for some reason he can’t find them.

“Looking for me?” A voice behind his back asked.

“Wha!?” Marko jumped hearing those words, looking back to see Dane, clearly still worn out and injured, but definitely fine and alive. “Don’t scare me like that!”

“Haaah… sorry. Anyway, got a plan?” Dane playfully apologizes before asking Marko something.

“That sword of yours. We can’t win without it, so I want you to go up there so you can sever its head clean off.” Marko instructed. It was the quickest way to deal with such an overwhelming force. “We should disable its leg joints first before anything else. Be careful.”
“Easier said than done, but I’ll do it.” Dane replied, proudly holding his sword, but still a bit shaky.

“I’ll provide cover fire to distract it, and then you jump and aim for the neck, got it?” Marko said, trying to reassure his friend that the plan will work.

“Right!” Dane replied firmly as he readied himself, changing his stance and ready for a sprint.

*Sizz*

Meanwhile Marko continued his magical assault on the giant golem, manifesting multiple spears of rocks and flames, committing to use the last of his mana to take it down, having enough trust in Dane to get the job done.

“HAAAAH!!!” Marko screamed out loudly as the projectiles were all rapidly launched at the hulking wooden golem, able to slow it down and more importantly distract it as it tried to stand back up on its two feet, now glaring at Marko’s defiant attacks.

Meanwhile, seeing the great length his companion has gone to to make this plan work, Dane begins gathering up power as he is nearly ready to launch himself and ready for the decisive blow.

“[Blast]!” He yelled out, tightening his muscles and cast the spell the moment he forced himself off the ground, propelling himself like a bullet, a small yet deadly projectile that will pierce through one’s body in an instant. His grips of the precious weapon were never tighter as he bet everything on this attack, reaching his intended target in only a few seconds, braving through the wind.

*SLASH*
A sound of wood crumbling, breaking apart. The feel of arms ripping apart. A stop of movement.

*CRASH*

The golem collapsed entirely. Its head, or rather its core, severed from its body, neutralizing it. Meanwhile the one who dealt the decisive blow fell back on the ground on his side, feeling as if half of his body just broke, while his sword left his grip and planted into the ground just a few feet away.

Marko ran over to him, feeling extremely spent as his mana reserves is almost completely empty, feeling extremely fatigued and probably can’t even hold an unbroken sword.

“You… alright there?” He asked the collapsed Dane, still on the ground, unable to move and clearly in a lot of pain.

“Barely…” He said showing his bravado in full. While not in a fatal condition he can’t even move to save his life.

“Haaah… And we need to bring that thing back too… We’re just gonna rest here til’ we can move again it seems… Yur is gonna be so pissed.” Marko muttered to himself, trying to lighten up the mood a little, having sat down right besides Dane.

*Roar*

“What!?” Unfortunately for him however, the moment of respite does not come. Sluggish standing back up as the group of monsters that were targeting them earlier came out of hiding, sensing the end of the battle and how vulnerable their prey were at this moment.

He stood back up, still shaking and weakly trying to brace himself for the incoming horde. There were about a dozen of them directing their killing intent at him and Dane. He was completely spent and now he has to deal with these monsters, the odds were in anything but his favor. Dane himself can’t even stand up to try to defend himself, and can only look on in frustration.

They all ran at them, their weapons in hand with a wide and savage grin across their face, all intending on killing them, holding nothing back.

*Slash*

“Huh?” Marko let out a stupefied voice. The attacks never came, the oni-like creatures suddenly stopped in their tracks while their faces were that of pure agony, he could feel a strong pressure emanating throughout the air, a feeling of time being stopped for a brief moment, many things happening at once and leaving him confused, unable to process it.

Turn into two, turn into three. All of them were sliced clean, their bodies splitting diagonally into two or three parts, all of them dead on the floor, bleeding and painting the grass red.

“A tale nearing its end now trice… Yet it seems to persist for a few chapters more.” A voice rings out calmly. In her hand a simple wooden stick that now evaporates into nothing, on her face a calm expression contradicting her violent entrance. She turned around to look at the two young adults, their expression telling all she needed to know, pure shock.

The flowing green hair fluttered in the wind, a majestic white steed walking up to her, contrasting her black coat and shoulder pads. She stared at the two for a moment before her eyes wandered to the decapitated golem.

“Hmm… So that’s what they were doing with it…” She muttered to herself before walking over to the two, reaching her hand out towards them as bright light blessed them with strength.

“Whoa…” Dane let out a joyous surprise, his body healed up enough for him to stand back up and move, while Marko felt his fatigue lifted somewhat.

“That one is free of charge.” She said casually, shifting her gaze between them and the golem. “No idea if it’s your mission or just bad luck.”
“It’s a request, yes.” Dane answered before walking over to his sword, picking it up and feeling relieved. “We have to send it to the guild for completion.”

“...I see. Good luck with that.” She said, turning her back on them, getting back on her steed before riding off.

It was a short conversation that he didn’t even get a say in. Marko himself is not really sure what to make of it, looking at Dane and asking. “Know who that was?”

“Course’ I do.” He casually said while scratching his head. Taking a moment to realize something. “Wait. You don’t?”

“Why would I?” Marko said incredulously, weirded out by his friend’s reaction. “(Though, it feels like I’ve seen her somewhere before… But where?)”
“But she-... Nevermind.” Dane replied, sounding defeated. “She’s Belphi. You know, the most revered mercenary of all time?”
“...Right. We did talk about that before.” Marko said, sounding rather uninterested.

“Could’ve sounded a bit more enthusiastic there buddy, we’re talking about a legend here!” Dane said, sounding disappointed in his friend’s lack of reaction.

“Whatever. Let’s drag that thing back to the capital, I need a rest.” Marko responded, clearly getting sick of the situation and just tired more than anything.

“Jeez… Sure. Could use a break myself.” Dane replied, seeing that he needs a long rest as well.

 

“Homeee…” Marko mumbled out loud as he finally returned home, before seeing Yur along with someone he recognize but can’t quite remember her name.

“Talk about awkward timing…” Roye muttered to herself. “Well I did my job.”

She left without even so much as a greeting, leaving Marko confused as he look back at Yur with a letter in her hand, her face stressed up seeing the symbol on the wax stamp.

0