Chapter 12: The Verge of Death
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She hid the letter away from him and looked at him with her usual friendly smile. “Welcome back.”

He ignored the red flags and walked in, seeing the food on the table and just relieved to come back alive and getting to see her again. “Sorry for being a little late… Just the request being a tad bit difficult.”
“About what I expected honestly. I am glad you still came back early though, it put my mind at ease.” Yur said with a gentle smile on her, wanting to clear away his fatigue.

“I’m glad you feel better for it.” He muttered.

They went quiet as Marko ate his meal, taking his time as Yur turn her back on him and read the letter, then scrunching it and throwing it away. Marko didn’t think much about it, seeing as it’s not the first time she got a letter and threw it away looking frustrated.

“Haaah… So. Anything you wanna talk about? You can vent some thoughts with me around.” Yur proposed to him, despite having some turmoil herself.

“Hmm… Ah right. Dane and I promised to go back to our village at some point. It’s been two years already and we should pay them a visit by now.” Marko brings up the old promise. Perhaps in a week or two he’ll go back there for a short visit.

“Your home village huh… A backwater place so far away from the capital… Well I guess I should go too, even if it doesn’t sound that impressive.” Yur muttered and suggested.

“It’s hella far away though. It’s gonna take a week to get there and back.” Marko said, knowing that she doesn’t have the best patience. “Also it’s gonna be rainy the next few weeks we think of going. You’re just gonna get soak wet.”
“Think a bit too little of me aren’t you?” She playfully said knowing full well he means well even with the awkward delivery.

“I just… Hope you know it’s not pretty.” He said, reminiscing the long, painful, and boring travel that really eats away at his patience.

“I’ll just have to bring a nice umbrella, or even a parasol then.” She nonchalantly said, leaving him to scratch his head, bewildered by her casual attitude and how insistent she is.

“Alright fine… I’ll go talk to Dane later when we’ll actually go.” Marko said, giving up on persuading her.

 

“I’ll be going now.” On a new day, Marko once more left the house early in the morning. A few have passed since the discussion of the reunion, and neither can come with a concrete time to do so, feeling like they should perhaps try to reach the elusive rank before going back, but also uncertain if it’s even reachable, with how long they have been working, and how many more have done so longer, yet never reach it.

“Take care.” Yur said, waving him goodbye, seeing his confident smile upon hearing her sweet words, still feeling burnt out about adventuring, and coming to appreciate the peace and mind of simply living with someone she loves.

*Knock* *Knock*

“Come in?” Only a few minutes after his departure, someone knocked at the door, leaving her confused as to who could’ve come to see her at this time of day. She can only reply to the knocking in uncertainty.

A single step, a single clear moment and the sense of dread now filled the room. The individual walks in casually and stares right at her, leaving her speechless and unsure of what to say.

“...There’s no way to put it nicely…” The one clad in red armor and black coat said, taking a long sigh before further elaborating on her purpose of coming here, saying out loud her demand as Yur felt trapped.

 

——————————————

 

“I’m back!” Marko announced, with cash in hand and expecting a warm welcome.

“Ah! Welcome back!” Yur said, sounding oddly strained, which this time he can’t simply ignore.

“Something wrong?” Marko asked, his expression turned sour seeing the distress she’s in.

“...It’s just that… Uhh…” She doesn’t know what to say for certain, especially since she wanted to avoid the heavy topic with him at all cost. “I was thinking about… going somewhere for a while.”

“Huh?” He sounded bewildered at what she’s saying, it all came by so suddenly. “W-Why? Where?”

…There was nothing but silence that filled the room. The otherwise happy routine was broken in a few sentences.

“...It’s complicated.” That was all she could mutter, avoiding eye contact. “It won’t be long I promise…”

He can only silently stand still, unable to respond as she left him with his thoughts, before he knew it he was suddenly alone, colors washing away, the warm feeling leaving his body. He was so in shock over the conversation he didn’t even try to stop her from leaving.

By the time he pulls himself together, he’s not sure what to think. Can he believe that she will be fine? Is there any other choice but to believe that?

He did all of his usual routine, but with the one beside him missing, all afternoon, all night, all without embrace, barely able to think.

Waking up hoping it was all a dream, but no one was there in the bed with him, saying good morning with her charming smile. A sudden loss. It might not be forever like she said, but he already felt lost and unable to process it.

Not able to say a word in the household with only one person. He leaves feeling lonely, and goes to the guild for a sense of familiarity.

“Marko?” Dane called out, able to see the miserable state he’s in.

“Huh?” Marko sounds stupefied, barely recognizing his long time friend as the lost still cut deep.

“What’s wrong?” Dane asked, but received no answer. He was never one for conversation, but he usually at least said something to dismiss those concerns, now he doesn’t even bother.

“Something is definitely wrong.” An orange-haired woman said, standing besides Dane.

“What should we do? Pira?” Dane asked, never seeing his friend like this before.

“Well… If nothing else we should keep an eye on him.” Pira stated, lacking expertise on the matter.

Without any ideas or information on his turmoil, the two can only watch closely and make sure he isn’t blinded by his own suffering. The two saw that he went on with his normal routine, but noticeably more rigid in movement.

“How about we team up?” Dane asked as both of them approached him.

“...Fine.” He finally replied, not telling both much of the circumstances.

“Well let’s look for a Gold Rank quest then…” Dane muttered as he took a quick glance for the gold symbol.

“Those don’t grow on trees…” Pira commented, not really bothering to check for one.

“Well here’s one right here.” Dane nonchalantly replied as he got his hand on a request for Gold Rank adventurers.

“Seriously?” Pira exasperatedly said, looking at the request in question. “Seems pretty simple, but I guess these things are pretty tough.”
“Have you fought them before?” Dane asked.

The two exchange questions and banter before deciding to accept said request, with the barely responsive Marko being dragged along, not wanting to take their eyes off him.

 

As the ensuing battle comes to an end, the two can see that his mood is barely improving.

“Phew… At least he didn’t forget about self-preservation.” Pira made some light jabs to lighten the mood a bit, the fight was easier than expected and no one was hurt.

“It’ll be really worrying if he does.” Dane commented.

In the end not much happened, and the three went back to the guild, collecting the monster parts as requested and getting their pay and progress in rank, and all parted ways.

Now Marko is once again alone at home, where both of them sought and brought to live together under the same roof, yet now it doesn’t serve that purpose. Since moving here neither dared to be out for more than a day, and any request that took multiple days were either disregarded or done together, neither clearly want to be separated, with Marko’s overprotectiveness and paranoia growing each day, leaving him to worry if he left Yur by herself for too long, now it has truly come to a head.

The routine went by as normal, waking up the next day without her again, the sense of restlessness filled him further.

Going to the guild again, with both Dane and Pira there as well, anticipating him to come.

“(He look even worse…)” Pira thought to herself seeing his appearance, which is more disheveled than yesterday.

“...You think he’s gonna be fine out there?” Dane asked her, looking for advice.

“Honestly I doubt it…” Pira answered, looking at the man who looked sleep-deprived.

“...I think we can test that.” Dane said with a small smirk, walking over to Marko while Pira already figured out what he meant. He approaches and smacks Marko on the head.

“Wha?” Marko was caught completely off-guard, not even realizing the two were here at first.

“Hey Marko, I challenge you to a duel!” Dane said boisterously.

…It takes a few seconds for Marko to register what Dane said, and only manage to reply obliviously. “S-Sure?”

“Good! Cause’ I’m gonna smack some sense into you!” Dane said confidently, and dragged his friend to the dueling ground which is empty at the moment, meanwhile Pira has to walk to the staff members and apologize for her partner’s behavior, and then went to the dueling ground and mediate the fight.

“Just don’t go too far either of you.” She exasperatedly said, before taking a long sigh and began counting down. “Three, two, one… Go!”
Dane rushed at Marko as soon as the countdown was over. The battle rages on with Marko constantly on the defensive and forced to pay attention as Dane keeps up a hit-and-run tactic, meaning he never has a good opportunity to strike and prolong the battle.

While he continued to get pushed back and lost his stamina and footing he started to look more like himself, something both of them can see. Not back to his usual self but at least he’s mindful of what’s going on and starts taking some initiative, beginning looking for openings and changing his approach.

*Strike*

He hit Dane’s side with the training sword, which while certainly hurt, with his current posture of reaching out and leaving himself full of opening, Dane immediately-

*Slash*

-make an even heavier attack that knocks him back and trips him down. A trade that was in Dane’s favor, with him now pointing the sword at Marko’s neck, which basically spelled his victory.

“Glad you got some of your funk back.” Dane said with a small grin, extending his hand, to which Marko held on to and supported him standing back up.

“Shut it…” Marko said it somewhat sarcastically, showing more of his old self.

Ultimately both were left tired and neither felt like doing any request as a result, not that they found any request for Gold Rank today anyway, which is what Dane was looking for.

Marko went home early, staying alone once more, but with a bit clearer mind due to his childhood friend’s aggressive attempt to get him fired up. He appreciates the gesture even if it doesn’t do much in the end, not that his friend gets to hear them due to his reserved nature.

“(Just when will she come back?)” That was the thought that still lingers. He has no idea where she went, no trails, no clues, no anything, at least as far as he’s aware.

Ultimately that just left him with the worry that does not subside, and the day ended without any progress on the matter.

Next morning come and back to the usual routine he goes. This time the two weren’t here, but he wasn’t betting on them to anyway. Perhaps him getting a bit better after yesterday makes them see it as okay to not show up, or other matters came up, not that it’s his concern either way.

He sat down at an empty table and further pondered on what to do, perhaps looking for a high-end request, asking around for Yur’s possible whereabouts, or simply just waiting. 

“Excuse me…” Suddenly someone called out to him, to which he saw a nondescript staff member approaching him. “The guildmaster is asking for you.”
“Huh?” Marko was left confused more than anything, as he has never even seen the branch, or any branch’s guildmaster for that matter.

“It’s about your rank. Please don’t keep her waiting.” The staff further elaborate and wait for him to follow her up to the office. He obliges silently, still unsure of why it all happened so suddenly.

He entered the office and saw a blue-haired lady sitting at her desk, her hair cut short, with a decent amount of muscles on her. While he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed he can tell that she’s no stranger to battle.

“Welcome Marko. Sorry for demanding your presence on such a short notice.” She said putting her hands under her chin.

“It’s alright, I was free anyway.” He said a bit casually, not really sure of how he should approach her.

“I see. Let’s cut to a chase then. Your performance has been remarkably well so far, and any hiccups were from unforeseen circumstances that a respected source can verify for…” She began talking about his actions so far as an adventurer, still a bit uncertain where she’s going with this. “I’d say you are almost eligible for Mythril Rank. I know full well nary a soul has reached it…”
His face tensed up now that he heard it right from the authority, keeping his silence as she clearly has more to tell.

“Now here’s the fact of the matter. To reach this rank you need to fulfill a personal request from a noble or a Royal Request. Which brings me to a topic of a rather… desperate nobleman.” She said while Marko kept his attention. “Someone come and issue a request on his behalf, wanting someone on your level specifically, and nothing less.”
“...What is it about?” It would be extremely dire for someone to want a person that is not only Gold Rank but close to Mythril.

“Unfortunately I haven’t been filled in with details myself. It’s supposedly an in-person sort of affair, too personal to even indulge me from the sound of it.” She further elaborates, and sees that he wants more info on the matter. “Don’t worry, I got his names and locations. It’s in the northern section of the kingdom full of pompous people, a bit of a long trip but nothing you have never dealt with before.”

“And I get to be Mythril-ranked after that?” He asked, still not satisfied with the details.

“To be more specific, you’ll be granted an audience with His Majesty, that’s where you’ll get said prestige rank.” She clarified. Certainly more roundabout than he would expect, but probably should have.

“...Alright I’ll bite.” He muttered, with the guildmaster letting out a relieved sigh.

“Thank goodness…” She muttered before gesturing to her assistant who was standing still like a rock the whole time to get the documents ready, leaving the two of them alone for a moment.

“...What happens if I fail?” He randomly asked.

“That depends on the client I’m afraid. Anything could happen with them, so be careful.” She answered, sounding her concern. It wasn’t long until the assistant came back with the documents, and the briefing finally began. “Now then…”

 

——————————————

 

She curled up in her bed, waiting for time to fly by and hoped to finally leave this place. Two days passed and it doesn’t seem like he’s done talking her down just yet. She wanted to leave, but she doesn’t have it in her to force her way out, they may have some disagreement, but it doesn’t warrant bringing him harm.

“My Lady, your father wishes to speak to you once more, again an urgent request.” One of the servants said, entering the room preceded by small knocks on the door.

She silently followed him down to the first floor, and saw her father standing alone near one of the stairs in the foyer, approaching him while the servant went on his way after her father dismissed him.

A man that’s nearing his fifties yet kept up his appearance well, showing an image of a handsome adult with only a few wrinkles on his face, and sharing the same hair color as he daughter, letting it reach his neck.

“What is it now?” She asked, making her apprehension clear.

“Just a few things I need to talk to you about. Then we can talk about your leave.” He said, maintaining the strict tone he kept up for these few days. She can’t quite see what he’s doing, but soon sees a portion of the stair opened up, leading into a secret part of the mansion. “Come in.”

She felt more apprehensive, more paranoid than ever as he led her to a place she never even heard about, let alone enter, yet it was under their home the whole time. At this point she’s not sure what to believe.

“Where is this…?” She muttered as they found themself in a dull dark gray room with naught but the light panel to shine light upon something that was stored inside a large stone block, the entirety of the basement seemed to be made of stone, with darkness seeming to creep around as its darker color was emphasized in the room with no sunlight.

“The place that holds our sacred legacy. It’s something I need you to know.” He said as he makes the container split open, folding and moving about with little force, a far cry from its supposedly unshakable appearance. “Our legacy was not merely a result of our ancestor’s glorious past, suspicious conducts, or whatever else those houses like to believe we did.”

What was inside the box was peculiar, and she was certain she had never seen anything even remotely like it.

“What is this thing?” She asked, still filled with distrust and doubt, seeing this thing that was hidden below their home all this time, this thing that towers over both of them. 

“Our true legacy.” He answered, explaining the hollow metal giant standing almost twice as tall as his daughter. “Our bloodline is the only one who can use this monstrous armor safely, and more than any other noble family, we must keep it going for when the inevitable crisis comes. It’s our duty to preserve ourselves for when any crisis comes to pass, so we can be there when others need us, you’re putting people’s lives in danger just by being such a reckless runaway.”

She was left speechless at his implication, one that she started to spin around in her head, quietly thinking to herself yet her soul filled with turmoil.

“It seems he’s soon to arrive.” A voice hiding within the shadow of the room said, interrupting the two.

“Hmph, seems this will go as smoothly as you said.” He replied to the voice, meanwhile anticipating his daughter’s response, hoping for her to consider her well-being as well as better her judgment. It feels like hours have passed as she dwells on his words.

“Is this all it boils down to…?” She muttered, taking him by surprise hearing the pained response.

“Hm?” He’s unsure of how to respond, seeing that she didn’t express anything conclusive.

“Is this all about whatever the hell this legacy is!?” She shouted at him, wondering if his doting since childhood, his protectiveness over her, was all just to serve this greater cause and was never about her, that’s the dramatic conclusion she came up to. She was lashing out, very loudly.

“What!?” He said in disbelief.

“What’s going on here!?” Suddenly someone barged in unexpectedly. He ran down hearing the shouting upon being guided here, only to see a familiar face he longed for.

Suddenly a new face appeared who has completely no context whatsoever for everything that is transpiring, everything suddenly escalates and his plan seems to spiral in less than a minute.

“So you’re here, aspiring adventurer.” He said trying to remain courteous even as things start to turn sour.

“Marko!” Yur said, addressing her lover as she ran over and hugged his arm, rendering both him and her father shocked at such a sudden act, with one feeling like life has returned to him, and another feeling irritated but trying to be rational.

“Good to see you accepting my request. It’s a very personal matter as you can…” He started to explain why he wanted Marko to come here, only to see him brandishing his sword and looking extremely hostile.

“Explain to me what you were doing to her!” He shouted, demanding what he has done to her the past couple days.

“Ridiculous! As if I would try to harm her!” Yur’s father retorted, putting his hand on the sword hanging by his waist, paranoid about a possible attack.

*Parry*

That reaction however would lead to the two to suddenly clash swords. What should be a reflexive action was seen as an act of aggression, and before Yur could say anything the two were locked in battle to her horror, and froze, unable to speak a word as terror overwhelmed her.

It was a battle of two people of different position and skill, a mostly self-taught man who fought through many battles, a common man who now faced a skilled and trained noble, who saw it as his duty and right to become powerful for the sake of his family and bloodline.

“(What the hell is this guy!?)” Marko was left speechless because he was so strong, he would’ve expected such a pompous looking man to not put up that much of a fight.

The man’s dead focus on disarming him started to unnerve the upcoming fighter, and that despite all of the battles he went into, all the peril he survived, that there just happened to be someone to challenge him in the most dire circumstance.

Marko is furious.

“Damn you!” He shouted out as his sword was engulfed in flames as he lunged at the man.

“Marko no!” Yur yelled out, but in his rage he was unable to hear her.

*Strike*

Despite his attack looking quite intimidating, it was once more an attack with clear tells and opening, not learning his lesson and left him wide open as the nobleman circled around him and struck his weapon away and grazed his right arm, suddenly putting himself in front of Yur while the disarmed Marko slowly stepping back, getting close to the artifact.

“Ready to listen to reason now?” The man said, sounding a tad too condescending for Marko’s taste. “Listen here boy, as someone dared to get close to my daughter, you’re someone I simply cannot leave alone, which is why I summoned you today to say one thing…”
“If you think I’ll leave her alone then keep dreaming!” Marko shouted at him, not even bothering to let him finish as he looked for his weapon only to see the towering armor. Three pairs of arms, a rather janky set of metallic legs, and a body that to him looks like a… “(An iron maiden?)”

“Ridiculous! If that was all there is to it I wouldn’t let you be here! In the very room of our relic, the great armor that our house shall use to vanquish all evil!” He said, clearly trying to emphasize the complexity of the situation, yet one thing only clicked in Marko’s mind as he started to go into a frenzy, starting to lose reason as all he could see was his lover in distress, and that was all he needed to know, as well as what this thing is, as he must use everything he has at his disposal. “What I must say to you is- What are you-!?”

By the time he realizes what happened, Marko forcibly opens the cockpit of the giant armor. He wasn’t even certain how it worked, but it was his best bet to beat this foe.

“Stop!” The man’s plead fell on deaf ears while Yur wasn’t even paying attention at this point, just knowing that things are going to hell due to her outburst.

Suddenly the armor came to life as Marko made his way in, he could feel his body already getting numb as what feels like waves of electricity ran over him multiple times over, it was even as if his clothes were burning from it as well.

“UNAUTHORIZED USER, INCOMPATIBLE DNA.” Suddenly words were jammed into his brain essentially saying that he is not its worthy user, and soldiers on despite the warning and the pain that began to accumulate as it seems to try to forcibly eject him.

Suddenly the armor launched itself toward Yur’s father, neither him or Yur expecting things to escalate this badly.

*Smash*
Before he could even try to defend himself, he was punch in the side by multiple fists from the suit, launching him into the wall and left Yur even more speechless, seeing the metal giant that her lover now piloted and can tell that he looked at her for a moment.

“Argh!” Marko groaned out in pain as he could feel the suit trying to reject him again and again, which just makes him more agitated and refocus back at Yur’s father, who is now lying on the floor with his back against the wall, never seeing something like this coming, feeling overwhelmed and afraid, he felt as if he could see the young man’s glare from inside the suit as it once more aimed to attack, possibly killing him.

The suit lunging itself at the nobleman, with fist forming and violent thoughts filled its unchosen pilot. A single punch from one of its many fists, an attack from the giant metal could easily spell fatal.

However, that attack never reaches its intended target. That one punch to end it all was interrupted by something he didn’t know existed in the same room as them, it feels like this someone just came out of nowhere, shocking everyone at present as a giant metal fist was stopped, catched by a single human hand.

The pale-green hair luminates in the underground light, the dark coat obfuscating her figure further in the dark gray room. An appearance that will strike fear in anyone who knows her name.

“I suggest not doing something you’ll regret, boy.”

0