Loop Two – Chapter Two – A Fresh New Meeting
907 4 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


If you want more to read, consider joining my Patreon! Or check out my other original works:

Stray Cat Strut (A cyberpunk system apocalypse!) - Ongoing
Fluff (A superheroic LitRPG about cute girls doing cute things!) - Volume Two Complete!
Love Crafted (Interactive story about an eldritch abomination tentacle-ing things!) - Completed!
Dreamer's Ten-Tea-Cle Café (An insane Crossover about cute people and tentacles) - Hiatus
Cinnamon Bun (A wholesome LitRPG!) - Ongoing
The Agartha Loop (A Magical-Girl drama!) - Ongoing
Lever Action (A fantasy western with mecha!) - Volume One Complete!
Heart of Dorkness (A wholesome progression fantasy) - Volume Two Complete!
Dead Tired (A comedy about a Lich in a Wuxia world doing Science!) - Hiatus
Sporemageddon (A fantasy story about a mushroom lover exploding the industrial revolution!) - Moved to Yonder
Past the Redline (A girl goes too fast, then she does it again) - Ongoing
Magical Girl Crystal Genocide (Magical Girls accidentally the planet, and then try to fix it) - Ongoing
Noblebright (A shipcore AI works to avenge humanity) Only on Spacebattles (for now)

Loop Two - Chapter Two - A Fresh New Meeting

The SUV drove on, past fields and through little towns just like Hollowpoint--places that could be missed in a blink. Amber wasn’t really paying too much attention; she had other things on her mind.

First, a more plebeian concern. She was hungry. It was annoying more than anything else. A bodily need when she had other things to think about.

She shifted in her seat, aware of the fake leather sticking to her legs. Another thing to ignore.

What she needed to do was create a timeline. As long as I can remember it all. I have a knack for knowing at what time something happened, but that doesn’t extend to remembering things any better than I did before.

Today was the... “Hey,” Amber asked. “What’s the date?”

One of the two black-suited people at the front glanced back. “It’s the 20th. Friday.”

Amber nodded her thanks, then glanced at the digital clock on the radio. It read 09:12. It’s a minute behind... why did I even look?

She shook her head and tried to think. She’d arrived in Agartha before seven in her first loop. That was the night she met team Glasir. She spent the night in the clinic, then met Morgan the next morning.

So the administration building was bombed in the afternoon of the 21st. Assuming the dates here and on Agartha line up, and there aren’t any time differences. That was a Saturday.

She had met Cassy and Jade the next day, then the day after were her first classes.

And I died right after Ethics class on Wednesday.

Five days. She had been on Agartha for roughly five days. Will that be enough time to train and get strong? No, I’m assuming that I’ll just die on Wednesday again, which is dumb. I’m expecting trouble this time.

She nodded to herself, then leaned back and watched the world rush by outside the tinted windows.

She didn’t notice when she fell asleep, but a soft hand on her shoulder jarred her out of a wild dream. “Miss Green?”

Blinking, Amber took in the agent carefully touching her shoulder. Her shoulder covered in a mostly-clean hoodie. Her costume had faded away. “Oh, sorry,” she said as she covered up a yawn. A bit of focus and she could make out the time. Just shy of eleven.

Sliding out of the backseat. They were in an above-ground parking garage, one of those with ramps leading above and below, with half walls along the edges overlooking the backwalls of a few businesses.

It stank of gas and burnt rubber and cigarette smoke, and for some reason that made her hungry.

“This way, Miss Green,” the agent said. Amber followed them out of the parking garage, then leaned her head back and took in the towering building they were parked next to. A hotel, with mirrored windows and awnings all around it.

It wasn’t the only skyscraper around. In fact, there were so many that the horizon was completely lost behind steel and concrete and glass.

They entered the hotel through the back, and were met in a corridor by a young man in a well-cut uniform. He looked professional, at least until he started to speak. “Ah, hey. Got your room card right here. Twelfth floor. Uh, and we received this too.” He gave Amber a card with a lanyard and a small envelope. “Elevators are right there. Just ring if you need anything.”

“Is there, um, food?” Amber asked.

The man blinked, then nodded. “Yeah. Lots of magicals on that floor, so we have all-day all-night room service. There should be a menu. Cooking staff is pretty fast too. Or you can order in, I guess.”

“Thanks,” Amber said.

Her escort helped her find her room after a short, tense elevator ride.

It wasn’t anything too incredible, just a plain room, a bed tucked against one wall, and a large window with a view overlooking the busy streets below. “We’ll be off then,” the agent said. “We have guards on this floor. Just ask for an escort if you head out anywhere.”

“You mean out of my room?”

“More out of the hotel,” the man said. “It’s for your own protection. There are people who would mob a magical with questions, and others who would be more than a little rude. Having an escort protects you from all that.”

“Oh, alright,” Amber said.

She wished the two agents good night, and was soon left alone.

The first thing she did was raid the mini-fridge. There was no alcohol in it, but there was an entire box of cheap brownies and enough soda to stop a diabetic’s heart on sight.

She shovelled some brownies down, then drowned them in sugary goodness. When she was done, Amber found her way to a seat by the window, the box of brownies and a fresh can of soda by her side. She sat and opened the envelope she’d received.

Scanning it, she felt her eyebrows rising. There was a credit card glued to the page, and an explanation that it was a prepaid card, valid for a week, with a thousand dollars on its account. There was a number to call if she needed more.

For food and clothing, I guess. That’s... pretty generous.

She set the letter aside, then moved over to the door to make sure it was locked. A quick trip to the shower later, and she stumbled to the bed in a complimentary bathrobe.

Amber fell asleep almost as soon as she crashed onto the bed.

Her sleep wasn’t as deep and restful as she would have wanted. Strange noises from the hotel, cars honking outside, and the occasional rumble of a low-flying airplane kept pulling her out of her strange dreams.

She still managed to wake up fairly late, the sun already above the skyline and beaming bright light into her room. Eight ten. Early enough for breakfast, I guess.

Amber slid back into her clothes with some distaste. It was camp clothing, a bit frumpy, and not nearly as clean as she would have liked. But it was modest, at least.

She stifled a yawn, hung her lanyard with the door card around her neck, then stepped out into the corridor. She was greeted by the same tired old carpet and two agents wearing black suits and sunglasses.

Amber moved towards the elevators, where one agent was waiting. “Um, hi, sorry, but where’s breakfast being served?” she asked.

The agent smiled and gave her some directions, which led to Amber going down to the ground floor and wandering over to an open buffet overlooking a swimming pool at the back. There were some heating pans at the rear and a dozen round tables with guests poking through omelettes and microwave-heated bacon.

Amber was aiming for a plate near the side when she saw a familiar head of blonde hair, blue streaks and all.

“Cassy?” she muttered. Then she was walking across the room, beelining towards the girl. It was only a last moment flash of common sense that stopped her from just hugging Cassy from behind. “Cassy!”

The girl turned, head tilting back and eyes scanning over Amber. She didn’t recognize her.

That was normal, of course.

“Oh, hi,” Amber said.

“Hey?” Cassy tried. “So, you know me, I take it?”

Amber laughed, a nervous titter that died soon after. Cassy turned, eyes roaming the room as if looking for the hidden camera.

“Sorry, uh, this is complicated to explain,” Amber said.

“You know, there are guards and stuff here. Pretty sure they don’t like people going all fangasm right out in public,” Cassy said.

Amber shook her head, then sat down next to the blonde. “No, it’s not like that. It’s... well, this is a little awkward to explain. I’m on team Svalinn. At Norumbega.”

Cassy’s eyebrows rose. “Oh, you’re a, uh, you know.” She made a vague gesture in the air, hands together like a butterfly.

“Is that supposed to mean magical girl?”

“I was trying to be subtle,” Cassy said.

Amber snorted. “Cassy, subtle isn’t your strong-suit.”

“Did you read my file or something?” Cassy asked.

“Uh, no. I... okay, so this is going to be a bit hard to believe, but I know you from tomorrow.”

“Huh?”

“You know how your power makes, in your words, gravity your bitch?”

“I don’t think I’ve ever said that,” Cassy said.

“You will say it—later,” Amber said. “My power is time-related. I’m, um, a bit misplaced timewise right now. So, yeah, I’m your teammate, pleased to meet you again for the first time.” Amber extended a hand.

Cassy eyed it, then carefully shook. “Okay? That’s kind of weird, but vaguely possible, I guess. I mean, if you’re lying, you’ll get found out soon enough.”

“Yeah, I wish there was a better way to verify things,” Amber said. “Oh, is there a Seelie around?”

“One of those marshmallows? Nah, haven’t seen any since I got here.” Cassy frowned. “Is it always the same one, or are there a bunch that just look the same?”

“Both, I think? The Seelie in Norumbega have hats. I think that’s just some girls being cute, though they might just change hats whenever no one is paying attention.”

“That does sound kinda cute,” Cassy said.

“Do you mind if I eat with you?” Amber asked. “I haven’t had anything to eat in a while, and, well, you know what it’s like being a magical girl. If you don’t get your three thousand calorie meals, your magic gets all fritzy.”

Cassy stared down at her plate, which had some crumbs and half a piece of plain buttered toast on it. “Uh, okay.”

Amber got up and rushed to the buffet, grabbed three plates, and started to pile them up high with food. None of it looked as good as the cafeteria food at the academy. I was only there for a few days, and I already miss the food.

“So,” she said as she returned. Cassy was looking at her cellphone. “Do you know how to contact the academy? I haven’t received my academy phone yet.”

“I think you need to call the government first,” Cassy said.

“That’s no good,” Amber replied. “I need to stop an explosion from happening in about... three and a half hours.”

“An explosion?” Cassy asked.

“Magical attack,” Amber explained. “Someone will blow up the administration building.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah,” Amber said. “Hey, after that, do you want to help me with shopping? I’ve got money to burn, and nothing but rags and my costume to wear.”

Her smile was a little strained, but she had to do her best, to make sure Cassy became her friend again, and to foil the plans of the person that had killed her once already.

***

Are You Entertained?

Sporemageddon Volume Three and Cinnamon Bun Vol 6 are done on my patreon! 

Spore's chapters are up for free as an epub right now! Go grab them! 


Some of my stories are on TopWebFiction!
-Cinnamon Bun
-Stray Cat Strut
-Lever Action
-Dead Tired
-Heart of Dorkness
-Sporemageddon
Voting makes Broccoli smile!


The following books are available as paperbacks (and as Ebooks) on Amazon. Oh, and there’s an awesome audiobook for Cinnamon Bun Volume One and Two, and also Love Crafted!

9vQeXd6.jpgk5Otibe.jpg0hCV2U9.jpeg9dxOeI7_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grand
(The images are links!)

All proceeds go to funding my addiction to buying art paying for food, rent, and other necessities!

Thank you so much for all your support everyone! And thank you extra hard for allowing me to do this for a living; I’ll do my best to keep you entertained!

57