Chapter 9: The Archduke’s……
677 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Chapter 9
Month 5, day 11, A.T 882. Noon.
Training ground at the back of the hall.

A wide round hall area with pillars all around to support the heavy looking ceiling entailed with numerous art designs, and banners. One of them is the empire’s banner, three-headed dragons and at the center, a shield with staff and sword at the sides. It emphasizes wealth, divinity, power, and meant the power to control and rule

Next to it was the banner of the Grand Dukedom of Reign’s, an alluring sword striking through the withered rose, and deep red color pouring out from it as if bleeding, it is also surrounded by numerous stars and leaves. It symbolizes “Nevertheless death, it will be killed. The manifestation and meaning of ace.”

Asides from the banner fluttering above, half of the hall was accessible from the outside, it was unnecessarily big, but large parties or ceremonies were held here. Moreover, on the outside, there was a large open area with numerous marble houses, and over it was a garden of flowers. A perfect location for all events. 

On this day, the back hall was opened for a ceremonial event held by the Grand Duke, and the people from the church of the Spirit Queen were requested on this ceremonial event in exchange for an innumerable amount of donation. In fact, Alusu Grand Duke Reign is the richest man in Leiterra, seconding Hernaez Emperor. 

Inside the hall, people in white uniforms were drawing a huge magic formation with magic divinity dust, it was just as large to fill up the entire floor inside the hall. Other people were distributing large quantities of mana potion to others, and some were checking and correcting mistakes if it was present. 

While the people were in haste, the duke and the cardinal were chatting at the entrance of the hall. Supposedly the cardinal was one of the highest positions of the church and couldn't be moved so easily, however, through the connections that the duke’s wife made, it became more like an invitation rather than a request.

“We are happy that you invited us for a ceremonial appearance change for your daughter Stephany, I didn’t even know that you have another daughter!” Said Cardinal as he rolled his eyes inside the hall. He added, “Does this connect to the death of your Saint Jeanne?”

Cardinal’s appearance was not different from other priests, he had that of cassock clothes but with a red ribbon tied at his waist and wearing a red hat. Him being a Cardinal, he has left his previous name and family, just to be close to the Spirit Queen.  Not only that, but his body structure was also that of an adult, however, despite his young-looking face, he has lived 90 years in Leiterra. In fact, the human’s age in Leiterra is decided by how large their mana pool is. The bigger, the longer their life is.

For Alusu who is not a human born in this world, he is still able to regain his young appearance using his [diving heal] to heal dead cells. Although, for some reason Grey, who is not a human from this world, was still able to retain her appearance because of her immeasurable mana, just below Artermia in terms.

“Perhaps I have changed my common sense in this world” Alusu grieved, looking so dejected “it was as well to how I look at others. I should not have changed the way I used to or to be feared at others that seek. Because of it, I neglected one of my daughters that was born from our love”

Alusu had lived in this world for more than 25 years already, he had gone through many challenges, from physical fights, lust, defeat, and nobility. The way of a noble’s thoughts probably made him anxious because a silver-haired girl was born, although he knew the truth and has blamed Artermia’s action for it. It still didn’t change Stephany's fate.

“If only I had known about this ceremony from the beginning, Stephany wouldn’t have gone through that” He added, “From the start, I am not a person from here. I am from a world that discrimination is being judged, but in Leiterra, it is a combination of both, to top it off. Discrimination and judgment is just a mere trait to have”

Cardinal showed a complicated face, he has not seen such sorrow from his friend in the past, just expect for the scene he mourned for his wife. Cardinal was a long time supporter for the hero, together with Grawford (Lesly’s father), they provided food and water for the hero’s army. While the emperor provided houses for the victims of the demon’s action and brought more soldiers and caster to assist the hero, for the long time past.

“But” Cardinal rebuke, “without that realization, you would have become more terrible and keep neglecting Lady Stephany. So stop being depressed, and support every one of her decisions, let your hidden gem shine more than diamonds. Saint Jeanne would have preferred this action, will she not?”

Alusu knew it, but he was unsure if he was worth it. The sins he has made thus far is more burden than a thousand year's worth of work, he wanted to repent to it, but it will not change the fact that Stephany suffered from his action. For a Hero such as himself, the savior of the humanity in Leiterra, making a single individual suffer. It was not a befitting image for a hero. Alusu nodded and declared.

“I will, no matter, this child within the Reign’s house curtains, she will be free and shine like the light provided above the clouds. To those that intend to harm, I will kill them. To those that lust for her, I will cut their pride with their swords. To those that desire for her, I will grant a painful death.”

He paused and gave the cardinal a confident look. It was as if declaring a mass purge just to protect his daughter

“For each of her wishes are much more burden than my work, I will give everything she desires. For her words, I will devote myself. Thus, I will give my knight’s oath for my daughter Steph,  regardless I am her father or my position in the ranking.” 

A knight’s oath, giving absolute loyalty, complete obedience to one’s self, willingly serving the master for the entire lifetime, it is as if giving one’s life to devote all to the master. Although Alusu is a hero, he had still learned it for the sake of serving the emperor. However, he refused politely since he does not regard the emperor as a master, but a friend. 

The emperor went through a lot just to make Alusu stay on his empire, and even now, making him remarry to Lesly, to make him even tied more with the responsibility of being a king.

The cardinal went pale, he was the reason that Alusu thought of making a knight oath to lady Stephany,  and at this point, no one would stop Alusu once he had already decided. He swallowed his saliva as his sweat formed from his face and drops. 

“Oh dear,”  The cardinal thought as he watched Alusu with burning passion in his eyes. “what have I done? Dear spirit Queen, forgive my sins for mistakenly deceiving the hero”

Part 2

Month 5, day 11, A.T 882. Noon.
The corridor leading to the back hall.

As fleeting shadows crawled through the long corridors, the windows panes displayed along were being pierced by a noon sun. Stephany was striding her way to the back hall while Rachael accompanied her from behind, her face dyed in beet red.

Stephany was just as nonchalant as ever, it was as if nothing had happened between them. However, inside the unchanging face, Stephany is extremely happy that she could make a triumph pose any moment. Moreover, she also planned to ask Alusu that she will go to town with Rachael, rather than sneaking out of the house. That’s only if she was allowed, otherwise, she would still sneak out.

Rachael was in a daze, trying to recall the pleasureful torture granted by her master, it only aroused her even further by just thinking of it. She grips tightly on her skirt, stopping the urge to ask her master to bully her, whether verbal or physical or even a single glance, anything was fine. 

Of course, it was also surprising that she suddenly changed the way she had acted, she couldn’t collect herself every time she thought of indecent things. She tried to deny the feeling of the first time she met Stephany, however, it was also that Stephany made her realize that her pursuit for the hero was not admiration, but lust.

Rachael felt being played by it, she still has lingering doubts about whether to succumb or not. Their positions between them, a maid, and a duke’s daughter, this immeasurable gap will lead them into the scandal. Harming the reputation of the hero, that thought only made a burden to Rachael. Rachael grew concerned about it, she wouldn’t mind destroying her reputation and being targeted by the eyes of judgemental people, but it's different for Stephany. She became anxious by that fact

Rachael glances at her master, small and fragile figure, and wearing a robe to cover her cursed appearance. Perhaps because she was left in the dust, her hatred and agony grew. Resulting in fully distinct socialization to others, and having no trusts to others. She can’t blame her master for that, but the Grand Duke himself. 

Rachael starts to overthink and assume things as they walk through the long corridor. But she doesn't understand why she was so intimidated by a child, perhaps it was her skill or some sort, she decided to write this down to her report. However, it would still not change things, since the Grand Duke has already known that Stephany can frighten someone with a mere look of her eyes. 

While deep in her thoughts, Stephany suddenly stops and turns around, she opens her mouth. 

“I will go to town later,” Stephany decided to tell Rachael little about her plans, “Whether the duke allows it or not, you will take me there”

Stephany decided to test Rachael’s loyalty for her. Since they just recently met, they have no idea what each other’s behavior is. Rachael could only assume her master’s behavior through the information carried by the rumors. In fact, she heard a rumor that all maids assigned to her would suddenly disappear and never be found. That is why the Grand Duke raised the salary quadruple the amount to every servant that serves her.

But Rachael was more interested in why Stephany would go to the town. Is it curiosity? It is likely that Stephany has yet to go out outside of the house since her curse appearance hinders her from doing so. She wanted to deny Lady’s request because she feared the danger might come to Stephany. But recalling how she got to a situation that she would die, Stephany was powerful enough to defend herself.

Nonetheless, Rachael will write this down on her report. Knowing that Stephany got her magic yesterday, she was too powerful despite being unfamiliar with it. She became suspicious of her since it doesn’t make sense to how she suddenly got to that level. But no matter what, there was no evidence to support her claim.

Rachael nods in agreement, “Understood. I will obey your orders”

Stephany turns back satisfied and resumes her walk. Rachael followed her from behind slightly regretting her decision without consulting first from her superior, she let out a sigh inside her mind. Perhaps because of Stephany’s sudden order, the indecent things circling around her mind had faded. It was for the better anyway.

Moments later, when Alusu and cardinal came to sight. they were just at the entrance of the heavy looking door. Stephany was surprised that her father and the cardinal were speaking casually to each other as if they regarded themselves as close friends.

 Stephany stops her walk and says to Rachael without averting her gaze.

“Conceal your presence, and follow quietly” 

And continues without waiting for a confirmation from Rachael. Naturally, Rachael was dumbfounded by Stephany’s words, since there was no reason for them to conceal their presence, and it’s not like they were heading out for battle. This time, she let out a heavy sigh, it was to the point it can be deemed as disobedience and rude to a noble. Stephany was not bothered by it and kept on walking.

Rachael heeds Stephany’s words without asking the reasons why. Her smell, the sounds of footsteps she makes, she blended herself well into the atmosphere as if she was one of the natural. This type of concealment is usually used when her madam Lesly talks to other nobles, it was to get rid of her discourteous glare, and made the progress of the conversation makes it more smoother,

She glances at her master for confirmation whether her concealment is good enough, or lacking. However, by the time her eyes lock at her master’s figure, Stephany herself also blends naturally in the place. It was as if Stephany was an object in the first place, Rachael was shocked at how skilled she was. 

No, this was her first time seeing Stephany's appearance to become faint. From the rumors she had heard, it included this. To those that had seen her, she will instantly disappear in thin air as if a living ghost. Earlier, Stephany also appeared instantly in front of the library and disappeared after talking with Lesly. 

She had confirmed it with her own eyes that the rumor is in fact true, or for them. In fact, for Stephany in those times she had used [blink] rather than [conceal] or [stealth], it only created misunderstanding between them. 

For Steph’s case, when she goes out to take a brief rest from reading, she would go to the garden or the silver spring. Perhaps in those times as well, there were nearby servants or soldiers and have seen her appear and disappear from their sight. Certainly, considering Stephany’s personality, she would use [blink] in the instant if she felt the natural mana being disturb.

But for some odd reasons when she met the princess Jallain, she didn’t and what’s more, deceive her. 

Stephany came up close to her father without getting noticed, Rachael was as well. However,  Rachael took a curtsy despite the others not being aware of her presence. It was then, Stephany heard a declaration from her father.

“I will, no matter, this child within the Reign’s house curtains, she will be free and shine like the light provided above the clouds. To those that intend to harm, I will kill them. To those that lust for her, I will cut their pride with their swords. To those that desire for her, I will grant a painful death.”

Stephany was at a loss for words, it was for the first time she heard those honest words. Not to mention, her father was making a confident face as if he would achieve anything by just looking. Stephany doesn’t know what to give a reaction, or she simply doesn't react. 

Although Stephany’s movement came to halt for a brief moment, inside her mind, her thoughts accelerated much faster than before, plotting the perfect schemes while eliminating the threats that might come. However, even if she gets a disadvantage from a situation or unexpected outcome, she would bail out and execute the “run-away plan”, hence she concluded some plots without fear. 

Hearing Alusu’s declaration, there is no need for Stephany to hold back, or rather, before becoming greedy, she decided to play with their perception of her and raise their affections. In that way, it will be more efficient and effective when controlling them. This was also the start of another seed, in which Stephany really looks forward too. 

Although charming them would definitely raise their affection immediately, it will make other people doubt. So she threw that easy-going plan to the trash.

Alusu continued, “For each of her wishes are much more burden than my work, I will give everything she desires. For her words, I will devote myself. Thus, I will give my knight’s oath for my daughter Steph,  regardless I am her father or my position in the ranking.” 

Although the seed has already sprouted this much, Stephany holds herself back. She does not want to skip a simple game nor rush it, otherwise, the conviction of her image will crumble in the end. She does not want that to happen and has no choice but to do things step by step.

Stephany came behind Alusu, and said “So, you were not planning on using me as a pawn for a political marriage? Sell me to a slave merchant? Or for worse, kill me because of my stupid appearance?”

She starts executing her plot.

Rather than publishing chapters in full, publish it in parts.
  • In parts, in that way, faster uploads~~ Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Remain the same, wait for the whole chapter to finish. Votes: 19 70.4%
  • The Parts, the chapters and the poll I don't know which one to pick. Votes: 2 7.4%
Total voters: 27
12