Chapter 10: Perspectives
281 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Month 5, day 11, A.T 882. Noon.
The corridor leading to the back hall.

 “So, you were not planning on using me as a pawn for a political marriage? Sell me to a slave merchant? Or for worse, kill me because of my stupid appearance?”

As Stephany uttered those ominous words, Alusu turned around startled, and held tightly Stepahny’s hands. He didn’t noticed Stephany’s presence until now, just like to Rachael, but he ignored her for now, and hastily prioritize clearing the ‘misunderstanding’ between her daughter

“There is no way I could do that to my daughters! I’m sorry that I made you through that life and you will never go through that again!” He appeals and hugs her daughter. “So please live life the way you want, and I will support you what you want”

To think that he drove his daughter to this thought, he felt guilty for an entire lifetime in the span of seconds. But he took a vow and promised to never again think like an otherworldly person, he is who he is, and nobody will ever take that from him. And now that Stephany knew this fact, there is no way she won’t take this advantage. 

Although she wanted to say she wanted to read the reports that passed through his office, she held back that idea, and instead planned to test Alusu. A sudden change of heart in personality is always questionable.

“If that is so, am I allowed to not go to school? Be married? Join the social parties of nobles? Or diligently work?” She asks a barrage of questions. “That being the case, learning etiquette is unnecessary, and I have finished reading the books in the library so I don’t need to go to school, I also don’t need to train my magic too.”

Although it sounded like persuading him, her objective was to know how much her father willingly helped her. Becoming an atrocious daughter to the point he will not hesitate raising his sword to the emperor, but that’s only a mere wish. After all, he has that position of a Grand Duke, it is not a title for nothing, additionally, he is the hero that slayed the demon king.

Once these goals were accomplished, her life from now on will be an easy-going laid back life, Stephany does not want to be bothered by noblesse oblige, and is certainly happy to her siblings since they took those burdens from her. 

Alusu misunderstands her daughter's goal, and completely overthinks things. He thought that she had grown without relying on others, and along the way, she failed to reciprocate the gestures from the help of other people. In that way, resulting in no trust to people, and by default choice, she would rather seclude herself as she drowns from books.

“If you desire it so, then be it. But in one condition” Alusu was slightly doubting his actions “each of those wishes, you must have experienced once from it, you can quit if you no longer feel like continuing. Do you agree?”

This was to at least make a change in Stephany’s life, otherwise, Stephany will be in solitude if not making a change. He only mentions “Those”, the previous Stephany’s wishes, the marriage, social parties, school, training and etiquette. 

Stephany was surprised by the fact that her father gave out conditions, it was rather a trivial work looking for the reasons to not continue. Moreover, it’ll take a long time for them to be eliminated, but it won’t matter as long as everything will return in the end. 

Since her father is redeeming himself, there’s no need to execute the “Run-away plan” unless she was revealed as an imposter of the Queen, but taking a glance inside the hall, it won’t matter for long. The appearance changed the magic formation that laid down on the floor, it was rather weird that they have to draw one needlessly large, it could be written in chalk board and still be effective as ever. 

If in the future, Stephany would meet again the royal prince and princess, she could change her appearance without a sweat. So this appearance change won’t hinder her for any case, or rather, this appearance change will benefit her the most, since she could revert back her silver hair and be an imposter. But she won’t be seen as “Stephany” because her appearance was already changed and confirmed by others. 

“I can’t fulfill the condition with my hair,” Stephany acted the stupid one despite knowing the appearance change “So rather than selling me, or using me like a pawn, you want me to destroy your reputation?” 

Though her voice is monotone as usual, the way she chose her words is clearly showing her anger. More than that, Stephany was acting like she didn’t know after analyzing the situation. A priest looking like a superior, in addition, many priests from a church were moved, if the reason was just to change Stephany’s appearance, there is no way that they would dispatch large numbers for a daughter, right?

Being blessed by the Spirit Queen may have helped her father request a ritual such as this so easily, if it was to gain favor by the Grand Duke, it’ll be a different matter of analyzing. The word appearance change didn’t appear in the books of the Reign’s Library, so it made it questionable if this appearance change was common or not. But Stephany took her “being-isolated and lack of common-sense” into her advantage.

So, it's not weird for her to not know about this, or so Stephany analyzed. Alusu swallowed his saliva, and said.

“You see, yesterday was your birthday and I didn’t give you any presents.”He glanced at the Cardinal, and kneeled down in front of his daughter, holding her hands gently, “Although, this is a little bit late, but I will give you a life changing present.”

The atmosphere between them became warm, something that a family would give just being together, Alusu smiled and continued, 

“From now on,” He reaches for Stephany’s hair “this appearance of yours will be changed, it saddens me that you will have a different appearance from onwards,  but it could at least lift the restraint you have been carrying.”

Thanks to Stephany’s emotionless face, she was able to hold herself from grinning, since her half-based analysis was actually true. Though, his words were vague about the appearance change, the way he sugar coated it made it confirmed her analysis, 

For the case of Alusu, he hid the details by talking in a way of a businessman, which only tells the advantage of a product. He was slightly worried if her daughter asks for more detailed information regarding the appearance change, Alusu has that business smile to discern the worries of his consumer. And if she did, it’ll be an inevitable fate.

“Yes, that is right. With our sacred techniques, we are able to change one’s hair and eyes.” The cardinal entered the battlefield. “I guarantee it!”

Fortunately, Cardinal was able to read the atmosphere between the two and supported Alusu. There is no telling if this information gets leaked through Stephany’s mouth or what not, although she favors to seclude herself and not socialize with people, this information is rather confidential.

Furthermore, this ritual cannot be done everyday since it costs thousands of gold coins. Thanks to Alusu’s donation and sponsor, the mana potion, the magic divinity dust and labor were paid. The total sum of the ritual is too much for a simple appearance change, it’ll lead people in chaos and suspect the church for extortion.

Although, there are details to why it is expensive, it is not enough to pursue people. Stephany was dumbfounded by their sudden act, but she declared that they were not on the same page and moved on. She said.

“I will trust you for now, and I’ll accept those conditions,” She agrees

Stephany gave up on fighting back, and agreed to the conditions made by her father, she only thought of it as more trivial. She plans to quit after doing it a day or two and everything will return to normal once she finishes the trivial task.

Alusu was glad that her daughter agreed to such conditions and was deeply moved. Stephany proceeds to her next plan before it becomes too late to mention, she opened her mouth as she took out something inside her robe.

“The maids you sent were quite rude, they were all scared of me for no reasons, and they did not cleaned the library like I asked for nor did they return the next morning  and before that, they would leave a letter of resignation at the a table” 

She took out a bunch of letters and handed it over to Alusu, he was so confused why she suddenly mentioned the maids, much more shocking when he heard how they treat her daughter. Each of the letters contains their names and their reasons for quitting, furthermore, their reasons were quite similar to each other.

They were afraid of the monster living inside the library, and couldn’t do their duties as much, some reasons were because of family problems and such. Some also contained that the lady inside the library is extremely kind and pure, they couldn’t make themselves get closer to an angel like her.

What’s more, the letters of resignation by Halsey, the recent maid serving lady Stephany, were not mixed in these papers; this could only mean that she is somewhere in this place, but couldn’t be seen. Alusu was confused and relieved at the same time, he did not receive any reports regarding the quitting maids nor have heard about their circumstances.

The letter was mixed with emotions, they were different from one another, it was as if they were tampered to make disarray in communication. Or so Alusu had thought, he does not know which letters to trust, nor even believe in a single word written. Furthermore, some maids shouldn’t be able to write, but those who are unable to, have the same handwriting, it is as if someone is assisting them.

“Did you open the letters?” Alusu asks with a service smile in his face “Why haven’t I received them?”

Stephany replied with a sharp tongue, “I haven’t opened the letters since I prefer to read the words of a knowledgeable person than a brainless peasant. And I was about to mention it yesterday, but you have a scary face, so I refrained”

She has the tongue of a noble, as expected from the daughter of a duke, and her reasons were convincing, but still leaves them in question. Stephany made it this way so that they won’t be persistent in searching for the maids, of course, she knew that there was a search for them and she might become the suspect for all these disappearing maids. That’s why she came up with a plan by giving them information that would lead them in confusion.

Naturally, those letters were made from Stephany, and she intentionally didn’t make one for the recent maid, Halsey, as she still has a major role for her. Stephany added incorrect information again.

“For Halsey, I didn’t receive one from her yet, and she hasn't shown herself today. I wonder if she’s sick,”

The truth was hidden behind the lies she spouted, after all, she was killed yesterday, just like the other maids. Alusu starts to assume that there is a person who intruded the house, and has yet to be caught for the last 13 years. Furthermore, only targeting maids who are serving Stephany. 

It is either that person believes that this is a lost child of the empress since she has a similar appearance to her, or that person is just an eccentric individual. Or so, Alusu thought. He nodded slightly and glanced at the finished magic formation inside the hall.

“I’ll talk to Halsey about it later, and investigate more on the letters you gave. For now, let’s start the ritual.” He suggested.

The Cardinal agreed with a nod “Yes, right away.”

It would have been great if the great caster hero was here, it would make them less suffer from mana depletion. But she passed out earlier and couldn’t attend this ritual. Nevertheless, they continued the ritual. Stephany followed the Cardinal.

Part 2

Month 5, day 11, A.T 882. Noon.
The corridor leading to the back hall.

Stephany entered the magic circle as instructed by the cardinal, she was irritated to see the unnecessary size of the magic formation under her. And seeing the symbols she recognizes, she immediately came to a conclusion that there is a mage somewhere in Leiterra. 

But seeing it in front of her eyes, she won’t turn blindly at this. To think that a mage exists in this world, it must be either reincarnation or got summoned by chance from the emperor. She feared that they would obstruct her from achieving the freedom she wants, after all, mages have its obligation to annihilate every beast that spawns, but so far living in this world, she has not seen one.

In her past life, she has fought and defeated thousands to millions of beasts for innumerable years, it was to the point that even other mages came to fear her, but she ignored it and simply did her duty everyday, not taking a day for a rest. 

Flashbacks start to materialize in front of her eyes, she felt those days when she was on a leash, like a dog being ordered by her colleagues, or to be precise, the other masters. Of course, she was a master herself, but she always commanded in places filled with beasts. Other masters like her, also fought and assisted in the battlefield, however, they were always at the society of mages in order to teach new mages, and procure more talented allies to defeat beasts.

But since Stephany has no students or assigned teaching, she was always on the battlefield. Naturally, this spoken beast was not something that an individual can defeat. These beasts spawn at an unknown rate and in a quiet place, in other words, they could spawn in space, oceans, and the like. 

The “beast” has two phases, one being at its early and docile stage, and the two has consumed its prey. The first phase has an appearance of a pure-black ball as if void itself, it is engulfed in shadow-like flames; at this phase, beasts are extremely weak. They can only shoot flames, and make emp like waves. 

They don’t have fast movement, as they could only roll at the maximum speed of a mountain bike, however, the black flames they emit are extremely dangerous as it could wither the living within seconds, or melt the surrounding areas. Hypothetically, if a beast manages to kill its prey, they would inherit few skills and magic from the victim, whether the victim is a mage or a normal human, they would gain something and multiply the ability they inherit by five.

If the mage was the victim, the beast would gain every mana it has, and multiply it by five. This is the second phase of the beast. Extremely powerful, furthermore, what they eat, they could try to copy the appearance of it, but the physical size would be multiplied by five and still be engulfed by never-ending darkness.

If the beast becomes too powerful, they can multiply itself, but at the exchange of its power. Moreover, if the beast has conquered the whole planet, that planet would go in twilight, the phase where the world will reset, that is what the society of mages wants to avoid. However, seeing how the master who always fought on the battlefield is here on another world, one can say, the world she previously dwells had gone through twilight. In order words, they failed.

Although, the society of mages hid themselves and about the beast, it was only to make the world balance as is. If not, war would disrupt every country. Furthermore, the society of mages has its own strict rules and laws, doing illegal things could make that mage in prison for thousands of years and be making items requested by the superior. 

If so, if there were mages in Leiterra, she would likely be requested to join. Making her desire in the dust. Furthermore, a particular law exists for the rebels, if an individual is being driven by lust, greed, or similar. All mages are to be mobilized to terminate the threat, and to those who successfully execute the incoming threat, will be awarded according to the level of threat.

In other words, if she denies and runs away, she will be pursued by mages all around the world. The thought made her shiver, although she is ultimately powerful and all, she cannot win against multiple masters at once. In combat, Stephany can win all the masters in one on one combat, but not multiple. She will never keep up from multiple and simulations attacks and actions. 

She peeks through the opening of her hood and glared at the cardinal besides her, allowing her [evil eyes] skill to be active. She questioned.

“Who is the one that created this?” She whispered just enough for both of them to hear.

The cardinal was paralyzed in fear, as if a black haze removed their surroundings, but Stephany’s appearance came in contrast. The prickling feeling in his knees made him weak, his body went numb as if turning to a cold corpse, and filling his ears with noisy silence, it made him paranoid. 

He couldn’t think calmly, or more like, he has no ability to think. His fear got the best of him, and his complexion grew pale as snow. With his blank mind, he easily submitted himself, and answered in whispers.

“It was. IT was. It was the Empress Artermia!” His broken sentence made him like a broken radio. 

“I see,” Stephany replies, retracting her [evil eyes] skill and forcefully calming herself.

In the beginning, she already suspected that Artermia was a mage, through the information that her daughters made, Lesly’s and from the Spirit Queen. Those existence that appeared one by one, made her think that way.

But she didn’t let her guard down and remained vigilant if a mage were to appear one day. And she decided to keep the [mana zone] active for now. She wants to gain a lot of information, gossip and rumor could do. In other words, visiting a busy town that carries information through the mouths of the townsmen. Well, despite the chances of encountering a mage, she still has no choice but to go.

Although she can send golems made through alchemy, she rather desires to personally see the world outside her comfort zone.

Part 3

Month 5, day 11, A.T 882. Noon.
The corridor leading to the back hall.

At the same time, when Stephany enters the magic formation in the center, Rachael was giving her reports to the Grand Duke Reign, They remained in the same place while they watched the ritual start. Rachael spoke first as she continued to glare at the Grand Duke.

“First of all, about Lady Stephany appearing and disappearing suddenly, is true. Lady Stephany performed it in front of my eyes, and I could barely see her image, it was as if she’s ghost. I believe her stealth ability is above mine, as expected of the hero’s child, she’s quite the talent.”

Alusu nods, agreeing to her statement. Since the evidence supporting her statement has been revealed earlier, when suddenly Stephany appeared behind him, out-of-nowhere. But to think it's above Rachael’s ability, it might be her skill or some sort. After all, Rachael obtained her Stealthiest from her rigorous training.

Rachael has magic of [darkness], and she has gone through and through achieving many things with this single magic. If it's Stephany, Alusu also believes that her daughter has a hidden potential, but suddenly Rachael drops a bomb before Alusu could prepare.

“What I’d like to report next is, I mistaken Lady Stephany as an intruder earlier, and I do apologize for it. Not only have that, I even attacked her with my claws” 

Alusu immediately turned around to Rachael, who had sat in distant lands. Alusu knew that one of Rachael’s greatest weapons is her claw, and getting a cut from it makes an instant death, or that’s what he saw on the battlefield. To be accurate, Rachael’s background was that of a captain of knights, she fought with Alusu as assigned from the emperor, but after subjecting the demon king, she left her role to serve Alusu. They don’t know the reasons for Rachael's position, but they couldn’t refuse her desire, and just accepted her in the end. 

That being said, Rachael gained many experiences, and strove throughout the battlefield and stayed alive. By no means is it easy to win a war against demons, let alone a lady fighting. And through her hardships she gained the position of a captain, but now a former. The point is, her skill is more enhanced and refined, and however, why is Stephany still standing in front of them?  When Stephany has no battle experience and has only known her magic yesterday.

And of course, Stephany has yet to know that Rachael does not “serve” for Lesly, but Alusu. Furthermore, Lesly and Rachael are not close to each other. She was only helped by madam that one time which led her to assume their relationships in that way. Additionally, about Rachael being a former captain of knights, Stephany doesn’t know about it and the fact that Rachael also assisted Alusu in the battlefield 

 He was calmed for the fact that her daughter is standing on her feet, in other words, something happened that Stephany couldn’t receive such a deadly attack, but regardless of what happened, Alusu will have to punish Rachael for an attempt of harm to the Duke family.

“So what happened?”Alusu asked calmly.

“I was following madam from behind when we stumbled across the garden, the one with the library, and lady Stephany suddenly appeared in front of it.” She began telling the story behind it with distant eyes “I couldn’t see her face because she has that full robe, so at first I thought of her as the culprit of the disappearing maids, and I suddenly went and held her down with my claws.”

She rolled her eyes, her gaze went further than distant lands, and looking so defected, she continued.

“She collapsed on her knees, and so did her hood, it was then I realized that she was Lady Stephany. I was terrified of what punishment would come to me, but she retaliated at me with her magic, without even a chant nor a magic circle appeared, icicle grew from the ground and ceiling, it restrained my movements before I could react, some sharper ones were pointing my neck”

In other words, a prodigy, the word invaded their minds. Being a 2nd rate caster means being able to cast magic without incantation, but the magic circle would still appear before manifesting. However, if being a 1st rate caster in this world, one is capable of not chanting and not even a magic circle appears.

Naturally, claiming this, Rahael, who’s hand turned to claws the moment she crossed the garden, one can say that she is a first rate caster, so will be Alusu’s sister, Grey. 

Rachael added, “And that’s why I was defeated. As expected of the children of the Hero. Lady Stephany is rather skilled and talented at her age.”

“I still can’t believe it.” Alusu doubted, his expression turned frown “A necromancer who massacred an army alone, made the corpse as her army and assisted the empress Artermia from the incoming invasion of the Ornella Kingdom.” (AshNote: ref to CH.4,)

As what Alusu has said, it was obvious that a girl who recently knew her magic and had no battle experience, would lose to a matured woman who had gone through training, and fought in war. That reason of being a prodigy and a daughter of a hero, herself is more out of ordinary.

“Stop reminding me of my edgy past, one-slash-man, and the man who cut literally cut the strongest fortress in half with a single swing” Rachael returned a compliment

Alusu responded with a dry laugh and a wry smile, admitting defeat. One can say they really hate the nicknames made by the people of Leitterra. 

“Won’t it better if we tell the public about her amazing feats?” Alusu suggested.

He has yet to announce to her daughter Stephany as they fear for their reputation to go in the drain, what’s more, his friend, Hernaez emperor, had recently experienced what a broken heart feels like. Alusu doubts whether the emperor will kill Stephany or not, either way, Stephany won’t get away from the mouths of other nobles.

So, in these upcoming parties, he will announce Stephany, together with her amazing feats. In this way she will not be judged by other people, or rather be seen as someone that comes up with the family name of reign. Naturally, there will be people who won’t believe it and spout what they favor, time will only tell that their words were true.

“That... “Rachael spoke, looking at Stephany “I don’t recommend doing that. Not because I hate losing, but I fear what will Lady Stephany do afterwards, and what her reactions will be”

Alusu had a question mark in his face as he was tilting his head, he asked “What do mean by that?”

“Remember what the others feel when they see Lady Stephany?” She replied “They feel fear, an unstoppable force that holds them down, they were intimidated by no less a child. And I too, experienced it”

Although she says that, her face was dyed a beet red color. Alusu knew about those rumors from the mouth of other people, Rachael continued with a straight red face.

“I don’t what makes her the ability to do it, but it might be the hate she harbors in her feelings, or perhaps a skill?” Rachael speculated, folding her arms as she put her finger at her chin. “I also heard from Lady Stephany that she wants to go to town now. That being said, what do you plan on doing now, Master?”

“I shall allow it, since this works for my favors anyway, so you should escort Stephany properly and safely” Alusu answered, “because today, we will celebrate her birthday. Although it is quite late, it is still something to be celebrated. We will invite all the nobles as we introduce our Stephany, this party will last for three days.”

As he ponders his plan, he strokes his chin. “The day after, we will celebrate an anniversary for Linux and Her highness Cristabel**, it’ll also last for 3 days” (Ashnote: Refer to CH2.5)

Although, it is not his obligation to make a party for the Princess, but knowing that the emperor is busy with the Ornella kingdom. He lifted some weights of responsibility from his friend, in addition, Linux is his son. And knowing he will be a future king from imperial kingdoms, he couldn’t be more proud than that. 

Though, thinking in that way, made an empty feeling in his chest. He wondered what would be the reaction of his first wife.

“The next would be my announcement of remarriage with the princess Lesly, will invite king Maynard to this party and last for 5 days.”

Knowing these upcoming events made Alusu a headache, he caressed his temple gently. He made a long sigh before continuing. “After that its Stephany’s first social party, I will make sure to invite the cursed children of noble only, in that way she won’t stand out as much”

He let another sigh, as he looked down on the ground as if overthinking things. “I just hope it’ll work out just fine, and Stephany won’t say she’ll stop coming to social parties and such.”

“This plan is rather detailed” Commented Rachael, who was nodding at Alusu’s words.

“Well, if it is for my Daughter, I’d even defeat another demon king” He jokingly said.

“And after this month, the Demiurge National academy will resume its activity, so the Reign Family will go to the Royal capital including Stephany.” He declared “Whilst we have an official marriage, Stephany will go to school together with her siblings”

Part 4

 Month 5, day 11, A.T 882. Noon.
The corridor leading to the back hall.

As the ritual started, the people of the church surrounding the magic formation started to pour their mana on the magic formation, by putting their hands on the ground nearby the circle, it glowed a bright golden color and sparks of dust surrounded Stephany.

In the midst of ritual, Stephany analyzed the magic formation in an instant in order for her to know how powerful the empress is. Since, exposing a magic circle equals exposing your weakness. Magic circles and formations are the results of a hardworking and knowledgeable mage.

The use of circles in different structures shows how the speed of casting, and how large is a mage mana. Using large circles like this means that the empress has abundant mana, the structures were placed in a complicated way that one can say it's only random scribbles, however it is not. It was made this way in order for it not to be hijacked by other mages easily.

The symbols, language, numbers, and calculations were all complex. She used the symbols of astrology, the language of ancient Tamil, these singularity numbers objects to numerology, and the calculation were a preset of computer programming. To summarize, Artermia is without doubt a mage with a high position. 

But with a single magic formation that was heavily made and focused on astrology craft, there were no other crafts than that, so she cannot assume more than Artermia is skilled in using Astrology craft.

As Stephany ponders, her robe starts to flutter from the gust of wind brought by the start of the Ritual, the hoodie she wore fell lifelessly, and it made all the people of the church shocked at the sight of her appearance. But it didn't make them lose concentration.

They focus their job assigned from the Cardinal as they now proceed on chanting the words required by the magic formation. Not only that, they also keep an eye of their mana, and potion. 

However, some priests couldn’t help but to worry, from this sight at the rim of the Magic formation, people could see her pale as snow skin, deep red eyes that look like a predator. But then, the color of her silver hair starts to fade, like a leaf that starts to wither but her hair turned to white.

Looking closely, her pupil too, changed into a golden yellow. It was then, The cardinal noticed that the potions they drink after draining their mana to certain extent, it was already empty, and yet her hair hasn't changed much to a different color, so as the 2nd second eye, it was still at red.

He looked over to others, and saw their complexion gradually grew pale. If this goes, people’s lives would be endangered due to mana depletion. He shouted to Alusu.

“Grand Duke! We cannot continue the ritual any longer, our mana potion is almost used up and we have yet to change her appearance completely!”

Alusu, who heard Cardinal’s warning, came over to him without stepping on the magic divinity dust, Rachael followed him from behind. He looks around to assess the situation if possible, but glancing at their feet, they have already consumed numerous bottles, almost counting at 90 potions or so.

The Cardinal didn’t know that the situation was going to be like this, he didn’t know that even with 20 crates of potion is not enough to change Stephany’s appearance. Normally, when they held this ritual, it would only take 20 potions or so. They didn’t know why it turned out like this, but knowing the reason won’t change their current situation.

“If you stop right now, can you still change my daughter’s appearance later?” Alusu asked.

“No” The cardinal strongly rebuked, “If we do another ritual to her, no one knows what will happen to her, since we haven’t done something like this. Furthermore, it would also make us bring double the amount of crates filled with potion”

The cardinal beside the Grand Duke could hear him grit his teeth. Sharing mana is not an option too since all individuals are different from each other. Alusu looks at his daughter in the middle of the glowing magic circle. 

It was then Stephany opened her mouth and said “Having a white hair is not bad either.”

“Fine!” Alusu heeds her daughter's words and agrees “stop the ritual!”

The Cardinal and almost every priest let out a sigh of relief simultaneously as they stopped pouring their mana in the magic formation. At that moment, the glow of the magic formation disappears, and the priests start to collapse on their knees and backs. 

Stephany, who was standing in the middle, has her hair turned white almost similar to her pale skin. If it wasn’t for her black robe, she could be seen as a lingering ghost. Her odd eyes, red and golden pupils made them reminded of the Spirit Queen, in the contrast, her beauty was different from other nobles, in other words, she has this unique appearance that will make her stand out.

“Beautiful” Uttered Rachael with wide eyes.

As they stood in the rim in daze, Alusu agreed to Rachael’s words by nodding. It was then Alusu realized what Freya meant when she said “My sister Steph is mysterious and cool, she’s more than meets the eyes”

And now, he also agreed to Freya’s words, perhaps he may see Stephany now as a natural treasure hidden within the stacks of books in his library.  He has not seen the current Stephany with silver hair, it was a pity that he will never see that appearance of Stephany again.

And Despite being his daughter, he does not know Stephany apart from rumors and reports, it was a shameful side in him. 

Stephany was dumbfounded as to why they were staring at her like a goddess descended from the heavens to bestow blessings, she touched her face if there were changes but after a brief seconds, she confirmed there weren't any changes.  

However, she has no means on how to check her appearance, she could use her magic but that would mean exposing herself. With that in mind, she restrained herself from using and walked towards the Duke. 

Although Stephany hadn’t taken any lessons from Grey, let alone any knowledge regarding etiquette, the way she behaves and the aura she gives was overflowing with dignity. Perhaps of the cursed appearance she had made them cower in fear without looking at her carefully, they were all mistaken, or is what they had thought of themselves.

Though, there are others that still feared her – the red velvet on her left eye and the lingering after image of silver on her white hair. Naturally, it was close to the color of silver, this would only mean that she will be judged because of her unnatural hair color. The only color does not fit on any categories of a position.

Naturally, the emperor’s ban on the said appearance has nothing to do with the church, they didn’t even move nor rebel because of his sudden claim. Not that they could do about it, after all, the two most known figures in the empire, the hero and the emperor, was bestowed a blessing from the sacred Spirit queen, the natural being which most people of the empire follows.

It would be strange that the church rebelled against the powerful empire, nor even went triumph against the weak. They stayed neutral as they still didn't have authority stronger than the emperor, let alone an army to siege through the almighty walls of the royal castle. 

When Stephany faced the duke with unchanging face, she stated “With this done, I want to go to the silver wood town in incognito and without escorts”

Even though Rachael had already reported that fact, Alusu was still unsure how to answer her request. The fact that Alusu could arrange her surprise-birthday which favors him, but the fact she is open to harm in any way possible, made him not too.

“So I had heard from Rachael,” Alusu said, which made Stephany startle and glared at Rachael.

It was at that moment, Stephany corroborated and realized that Lesly was not her master but it was the Duke instead. The thought of betrayal and immaturity on her mind was mixed, she held back herself from erasing Rachael’s existence because of the eyes laid on them.

Stirring inside her mind was that of a malicious intent, Rachael unconsciously shivered.

Alusu continued, “I will allow it, but Rachael has to come with you” 

Rachael nodded in the Duke’s words, and agreed with a salute “Yes!”

When Stephany heard those words, she couldn’t help but flash a small grin on her face, it was gone by a second pass.

“Mhn,” Stephany nodded as she agreed with her mouth closed.

 

 

 

 

Ashtal's note: I'm bacc. 

6