Chapter 10.5: Aftermath
226 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Month 5, day 11, A.T 882. Noon.
One of the Drawing rooms in the hall of guests within the manor.

Aftermath when Stephany and Rachael were heading to the silver wood town, both the servants and the duke inside the drawing room were mentally exhausted by the demands of her daughter Stephany. By means of demands, it meant her necessities of clothing.

To summarize, the Duke called the servants during their free time to dress up his daughter Stephany. Of course, all the servants serving the Reigns, even if they were new or not. They will hear about the rumors of the freak – the child of a demon hiding in the depths of estate, they knew about the missing maids, and other rumors.

The Duke made a story that he neglected his daughter Stephany because of Jeanne’s death, he wanted to put someone to blame in order to relieve himself, because of that, he was not different from a fool despite the whole world claiming him as a hero. He claims that if Jeanne was here, things would have been different. All of his story was true, but he didn’t mention Stephany's cursed appearance nor her change of appearance. 

The duke’s darkest feelings and emotions were relieved by Princess Lesly, and made his way of doing things change. He was returned to what he was from the past, because of that, he wants to repay Stephany's freedom he took. 

Changing the appearance was not illegal under the law of the empire, but in the first place, there was no law that contradicts the change of appearance. Regardless, he silenced the church with his wealth. 

Going back to her demands, her sense of taste in clothing was different from lady, she liked the thought of wearing the upper formal attire of men, and a skirt at the bottom to symbolize her gender. The servants were hesitant at first, as they didn’t know how her appearance would end up. Not to mention, these dressed up maids are currently serving Lady Merry, they all know what mess they would end up if they evoke the wrath of the noble. 

But regardless, they didn’t refuse because they were ordered. 

Following the steps of looking neat and clean, Stephany was told she must take a bath with petals of roses. But she refused because it was a waste of time, not to mention, she already took a bath earlier this morning.

Being emotionless as she is, her voice was not far from different either, since that was the case, the servants were given an eerie feeling crawling within the corners of their body, they couldn’t help but to shiver and feel restless. But it suddenly went away when Stephany took her robe and other clothing off, not to mention, in the drawing room where the duke, the cardinal, and the other male servants were present.

The dressed up maids quickly covered Stephany with a blanket, and asked permission to let the maid guide her to another room where she could change her clothes. 

Was it a lack of common sense? No, because she was a mage in her past life that had lived for uncountable years. Not to mention, a place of mages where sexuality is not valued by entertainment nor in any case, rather, it never existed between mages. Though few were, couples were numbered by thousands.  

Experienced mages didn’t feel anything when their clothes were blown off by accident due to magic, rather it was a daily occurrence within the society. Although, the shops within the society offer special clothing that gives off special effects, the chances of getting it destroyed is not absolutely 0%.  

Clothing armor is only used for battles that come, because they too, sometimes get messed up during experimenting and testing. So rather destroy it on something that occurs daily, mages tend to save it when necessary. Naturally, it has many effects and provides support and buff for the user.

So it didn’t feel odd to Stephany who was a former mage. But for someone’s outside perspective, not to mention, not knowing the existence of mages, they could only feel pity for the lady. Naturally, Alusu plans to teach common sense to Stephany through Grey or Rachael.

Stephany could assume the movements, feelings, and emotions of the humans through the books she had read. Not from the experience she has, since it was out of being abnormal. Because of that, the cases why humans have traditions, customs, and such. Stephany doesn’t know the slightest, which is why Stephany is adapting through what she observes and learns. Though, she still has that superiority complex when talking to servants, she treats them as pets or dolls for her ideals, to the point servants were worse than commoners.

In the society, servants were treated worse than insects, because their master holds their lives, ego, body, mind, and will, literally speaking. 

Anyways, when Stephany finished changing her clothes with the help of servants. Though, the ‘help’ part was more of the servants doing all the work. But the servants were thinking of her as a dress-up human size doll, they didn’t feel fear because of how their lady is still as calm water and emotionless as stone, rather was fascinated by how her body gives off majestic and superior feeling despite not even moving an inch from her position.

Her clothes complimented very well with her small frame, though it was slightly bigger and made her look small. The seamstress quickly fixed that error, and made her majestic aura more enhanced. The servants wanted to show their creation to the duke, but Stephany immediately left without going back to the drawing room where the duke is, let alone speaking that she will leave.

Naturally, the servants were slightly confused by her indifferent action, though it felt natural when Rachael silently accompanied her behind, and because of that, they didn’t mention anything to the duke. 

 When they left the estate after 3 minutes no less, the duke received the message that his daughter already left the estate. He was left disappointed and mentally exhausted why her daughter acts like this. It was different from how Merry and Freya acted, so he was unsure what he would do next. 

He laid back to the sofa, but it was also the moment when another soldier rushed in, and reported about the bandits that tried to harm the royalty. The duke was surprised to the point he jumped off from his sofa, and inquired the soldier for more information.

He was relieved when he heard that the prince Dantalian and Jallian are safe and no injuries were made. Because of that, the duke sat back, whilst facing him was his friend Cardinal.

The duke let out a sigh before continuing the conversation, “To think that bandits are appearing in our territories, is this the Spirit Queen’s doings? Is she backing down from her words to protect my people?”

The cardinal replied, “I don’t think so, the atmosphere in this place suddenly changed earlier. The air became more tense and powerful. Rather than weakening her protection and blessing, she is slowly waking up”

Although they may not know about this, amongst the culprit this actions that brought this scene was Stephany’s actions. Spirit Queen had its spiritual form return earlier, but it was not the fact that it made this conclusion, thus, their conversation is heading towards misunderstandings. Or is it?

With Stephany’s [mana zone] active, she was constantly losing mana, but despite that, it would take several hours to empty her mana pool. The cardinal’s declaration was referring to Stephany’s mana zone as they were under her mage’s territory.

“If she is waking up, that means the shadow dominion’s king is reviving. Huh?” Alusu sighed.

He had enough of killing, he was exhausted to fight the demons. With a family, political problems and territory management that were always inside his mind. The thought of another demon king made him exhausted even further.

There will be sometime in the future that his children will be called forth by the emperor, as to assist the new hero for his journey defeating the new demon king. It would have been better if it ended in that way, however, the possibility that his children becoming the new hero is not zero.

Otherwise, the possibility of his children returning alive from the battlefield is likely. The former hero Alusu was troubled by that fact, making his children all too talented from the ordinary.

“It might be, but we can’t be so sure until the spirit Queen makes an oracle about it. The emperor should receive the call before anyone else. Aside from that, the blessings in these lands had grown stronger than before” the cardinal said

“Emperor, huh?” Alusu drops his body on the sofa, not caring a bit of his current behavior “Working for 300 years for the imperial nation’s management, and even bearing the responsibility of subjugating the demon king.” 

Just thinking of it, Alusu couldn’t bear the thought of the emperor’s work. Though there was a thought that came to him, uniting all kingdoms and the empire to slay the demon king, it was rather a childish thought. Since the empire would be at loss if the offset chance that it will trigger an alliance between many enemy nations, not inviting the empire on their hands.

It would become more difficult for the empire to move. 

“Though, despite all of that, I still hope that the demon king will not revive until Ornella kingdom is defeated and has restored the loss of the empire.” Alusu sighed.

It has been years since the war between Ornella kingdom has started, but because of the previous demon king’s revival. The empire prioritized subjugating the demon king before its army grew larger, thus, there was an extreme loss on the empire’s side. Certainly, if Alusu had come and helped the empire after the demon king’s defeat. The battle between Ornella kingdom and the Demiurge Empire would have been decided.

But with the loss of his brother, Yardrar Reign, and the aftermath depression that Grey suffered, the hero’s party was immobilized. Soon after, the Empress – Artermia suddenly vanished, it also made the whole empire shake itself from the very foundation. Though, afterwards Alusu was healed with Jeanne’s embrace, it made everything worse when she passed away. The hero’s party was, naturally, in chaos.

If things continue the way they are, adding more unfortunate things in the future. The admirable emperor might destroy himself from within. Things needed to be healed through time, but the current state and the future won’t allow it. 

The wandering hero caster, Grey Reign, had herself healed, but the thought of it will linger in the corners of her mind. As it is a trauma that has been born. The emperor’s immortality destroys the concept of lifespan, it would take a long time for him to heal, after all, the loss of his beloved was more heavier than anything. 

Alusu, who has a strong front, kept his mind busy with stress.

The empire’s strongest sets were down. Despite that, the movements of Ornella kingdom were only gathering soldiers and supplies from the neighboring kingdom. Although they had access to the seas, the empire has the largest fleet in the continent, which made it impossible to cross the waters without getting shot.

With the war happening, traders and businessmen in the Ornella kingdom had become one of the most profitable this year, but little did they know, one of the main suppliers was from the empire. Supplying fakes and junk items to the Ornella kingdom.

Although the Empire itself was weak, the heirs of the strongest was active and ready for battle. Exceeding the count of fingers, the Ornella kingdom had to tread carefully because of that.

When the room’s atmosphere became heavy, a knock from the door was heard. Opening the door was Freya, she asked with a shy voice. 

“Father, can I interrupt you for a moment?”

Her voice, together with her behavior, was different when she was with Stephany. For Freya, even her father, she considers him a stranger, or perhaps the line of an acquaintance. She doesn’t know how to approach them with such manners since she doesn’t know how to behave one. For the commoner, she needs to act brave and show dignity. For the nobles with lower position, she needs to act above them and gracefully. For royalties, she needs to act polite and humble.

With many things that are listed, they have different forms of formality. It made it more confusing for her. Freya was probably born in the wrong era, perhaps the time when monarchy no longer exists, but a civilization which democracy is. Alusu had thought of it, but regardless, he would like it if people don’t regard Freya as a rival in power. 

The Grand Duke Alusu Reign, becomes the ‘imperial’ king of the Handel imperial kingdom. He plans to adopt Daniel, Freya and Stephany, and when time comes, the throne will be handed down to Daniel. In which Freya and Stephany will either live as neutral nobles or live with him.

Alusu fixed his position before replying with a smile “Sure, what can I do for you?” 

Slowly, Freya entered the room and stood in the center. Her expression showed terrible tiredness and sorrow, it was clear that she had woken up recently. Alusu was concerned about her body, but it was probably lacking in Stephany. Furthermore, it would seem like Freya was hiding something behind her back, after all, her arm was making it transparent. 

“Have you seen Stephany? I look around her usual spot and even her bedroom, but I haven’t seen her. The people from the church claim that you know something about it.” 

‘I knew it’ Alusu retorted in his mind.

Alusu wanted to say Stephany’s current location, but since it was Stephany’s visit to the outside world, he doesn’t want to ruin her fun by having Freya there. Stephany might not even consider going to the town the second time because of Freya. With that in mind, he said. 

“I gave some errands to Stephany, she will arrive before the evening comes.” Alusu replied “Unfortunately, I made a promise to Stephany to keep her location and our little talk a secret.”

“I-I see” Freya’s voice stuttered as her body went forward to slump. 

Looking at the dejected Freya, he almost confesses everything. But he held it within him since he also prioritized Stephany.

“W-well, aside from that, I took something from Stephany’s room. I had seen this before in the capital and I took a liking to it, but I forgot to tell you to get one for us in the past.”

When Freya continued, she took out something behind – it was a blue covered book, with a title named “how to build a piano” on its cover. Alusu was surprised over the fact that the book glimmers over the rays of the sunlight, showering from the open window behind. It was a book made from plastic. 

Which in this world’s current era shouldn’t have. Furthermore, the invention of the piano was not duplicated, though they exist. The empire disclosed it for themselves, for their own culture, interest and entertainment. 

Though the empire had piano, it can be counted with fingers. In the estate of Reigns, they had one, stored inside the attic of the manor. From the past, Jeanne was the one who played this piano but because of her death, the piano was kept out of sight from Alusu’s view. 

It only makes his heart and as well as his mind, to become emotionally unstable. 

Just remembering it even, it made him feel uncomfortable. Mixed emotions of how, where, and when was this book made. How did this book end up in Stephany’s grasp, and where did Stephany receive this?

Alusu has no idea of what Stephany is thinking, what she desires and wants. But after seeing this book of a piano, it was safe to assume that Stephany is interested in these kinds of things. He looked carefully at the blue book on his hands, he then realized the fact that the language of the book was different from demin language, rather, it was a language that came from his former world. 

More and more questions piled inside his mind, but it couldn’t be answered, until Stephany returned home. 

However, despite that, Alusu didn’t forget to praise Freya’s action, he moves his hand over Freya’s head and gently caresses her hair.

He remained calm despite all the suddenness, he calmly took the book from Freya, whilst also patting Freya’s head. Alusu smiled back, “Sure, in fact, we have one in this house. Thank you Freya, for bringing this book”

Because of Alusu’s praise, Freya forgot to report about the mysterious things in Stephany’s room. The limbs of dolls, and the mysterious door that was not there before. 

He took a bell that sat atop the crystal table, and rang the bell.

That was the day, when Alusu accepted and feared not the fact that Jeanne is gone. Jeanne would have preferred Alusu to do that, and live the life they wanted. 

5