Chapter 16 – Scammer
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"It's... Its happened, nothing can change it now." Newt resolutely says, trying to accept the past.

"Doesn't mean you should discard your past however, its important, embrace it, accept it, and move on."

Jennifer advises Newt, her gaze containing sadness and something else that Newt couldn't determine.

"Dun woree, Sniff, I'll protek yoo." Tanya tries to comfort Newt, patting him on the head and giving him a hug.

Seeing the pure and compassionate face of this child, Newt couldn't hold himself back and started to pinch her cheeks.

"Ahh! Staphh!"

Tanya breaks into a panicked shaking of the head, desperately trying to break free.

After failing to break free she looked for help from her allies.

Who were laughing!

"Beetwayel!" She barely uttered out.

"Well since you two are getting to know each other, we'll leave you to it, Jared would mind getting some more fish whilst i cook up Lunch?"

Initially, as her mother began speaking, she starts to freak out as they were abandoning her, but as her mother continued, a snarky grin covered her face as her father began to go pale.

"Sh-shouldn't I bring along Tanya? To test her fishing skills?"

"Well, sure, but doesn't she usually come along?"

"Its alright mum! I'll come along with dad, however I would like to take brother along!"

"B-Brother?!" Jennifer freezes muttering the word.

Jared on the other hand has paled and begins shaking his head rapidly, getting a evil smirk from his daughter.

"Heh." Tanya puffs out.

-------

Still sore, Newt limped along with Jared while being supported by Tanya, although the effect of her support wasn't very... Helpful? Her height was around 1/3rd of the height of Newt, making the only possible way of somewhat helping, was for Newt to use her head as a arm rest.

He felt bad for her so he decided against it.

"Thanks for the help Tanya." He says with the nicest smile he could.

"No problem!" She says with a beaming face, turning into determination to continue her 'supposed' help.

Which consisted of holding his arm above her head and walking beside him.

Jared on the other hand was dwelling in his own embarrassment as another was being brought into the secret, or well, one of his two secrets concerning fish.

"Newt, kid, please don't tell Jennifer that I can't fish, she still thinks I overcame my fear and have become an expert fisherman. I'm begging you!"

He gets on his knees begging Newt to cover his, secret, that literally didn't matter.

"I would consider it, if you fucking helped me walk!" Newt gets pissed off as he was still limping and barely walking whilst Tanya was diligently, holding his arm?

"Tanya has you covered right?" Jared asks with a hint of sarcasm as he chuckles at his misfortune.

"Well if you could relieve Tanya's burden and make it easier for all of us that would be fantastic!" He replies whilst his legs feel like they are burning.

"Don't worry bro! I can't keep helping you!" Tanya pridefully exclaims.

Getting a small smile from Jared at her proclamation, he walks over and slings Newt's arm over his shoulder.

"So you'll keep it a secret right?" He whispers in Newt's ear, slightly pissing him off, he decides not to respond.

"How long will it take to get there?" Newt asks, unfamiliar with the terrain and location.

"We'll arrive shortly, be patient."

Jared advises Newt, who is internally yelling at him, Says the person who is perfectly fit and UNHARMED!.

Though to be fair, he was entirely correct, the group reaching the river shortly after.

Sitting down on the edge of the creek with his legs dipped in the rushing water.

"Ahhh..." Newt lets out a sigh of pleasure as the refreshingly cold water massages his burning hot, sore limbs.

"Ever fished before kid?" Jared suddenly asks, getting a short shake of the head.

Even in his past life he hadn't really been interested of thought it was necessary to learn. I mean when all your food is caught by others and all you have to do is buy them, what was the point in needing to do so, he wasn't going to do a better job catching them then the professionals, let the experts fisherman catch fish.

He lived in a civilized world in a country not lacking food whatsoever, all he needed to live was a paycheck.

Fisherman will fish, programmers will program. Simple as that.

Though in hindsight it would have been awfully useful to have some wilderness survival lessons considering where he has ended up.

Not like I would think, 'Just in case I get teleported or reborn in another world I should learn how to hunt and catch fish!'. That would be an entirely illogical decision, with no prior knowledge on anything outside of earth hinting of such a impossibly miniscule possibility.

"Come up here I'll teach you."

Getting a look of confusion, "I thought you couldn't fish? With your ichthyophobia?" accidentally switching into English at the end of the sentence.

"Ichthy-what? Anyway, I have a fear of fish, doesn't mean I can't fish... I'm just not the best at it is all..."

"Dad you're really bad!"

"Right... So does Tanya fish then?"

"Yep! I do all the fishing while Dad takes all the credit!"

"You say it as if I'm a scammer or something! Its a deal we have, I occasionally get some candy whenever we visit a nearby city, and give it Tanya in exchange."

"Sounds like a scam to me."

Newt calls Jared out, slight sweat falling from Jared's brow.

"what do you mean?"

"Well..." Newt takes a deep breath and begins. "I'm pretty sure that isn't economically equivalent and since the deal is between you, the guardian and Tanya the child, the parent who is meant to supervise and make sure their child isn't getting scammed would be Jennifer. However because the deal is directly tied with not telling her, this entire deal can take place."

"Bro what does that mean?" Tanya asks curiously, getting a immediate response.

"You're getting scammed."

"Hey wait a minute! How am I scamming her?! She's my own daughter!"

"Well how much candy have you gotten her? How much did they cost? How often?"

"Well... Maybe once a year, just a few different candy and chocolate. Probably costs around something like 27 copper?"

"And how often do you all have fish? And on average how many does she usually catch?"

"Uhm, 2 - 5 decently sized fish? One for an adult to eat for a meal, most nights we tend to have fish for dinner."

"Each fish able to fill a adult man. So each fish would probably cost around 20 to 30 copper, based on its size, depending on its freshness as well. See where I'm going with this?"

"Well, we are family! We are merely doing what is best for our entire family, including Tanya."

"Well it would be good for the entire family to be aware of this deal, don't you think?" Shutting Jared mouth slightly.

"Tanya, with the amount of fish you are catching, lets say you catch 3 fish on average every day for a year, and sell it within 3 days, assuming the fish are properly preserved, and using the rough average for the price of the fish, not to mention the days you can't catch fish whilst travelling, skipping some steps, your looking at about 1 day of fishing then travelling to the nearest city, around 2 days, then back, another 2 days.

To simplify Around 5 days to sell 3 fish is little but whatever, and not mentioning food for the travelling, how long it actually would take, the difficulty to properly preserve it. after 5 days you would be looking at around 125 copper, or 1 silver and 25 copper pieces for the fish alone, minus the other stuff, lets say something like 50 copper counting everything. For less than a single week. 50.

Remind me again Tanya, how much did the candy you were bought cost?"

"27!" She angrily replies to Newt, staring daggers at Jared, who was promptly sweating.

"W-well, my point still stands! Its for the family, you wouldn't starve your poor mother and father would you Sweetie?" Jared asks through fake tears.

Tanya however was slightly conflicted, more candy? Yay! Dad and Mum going hungry? That sucks.

Quietly contemplating, her messy short blonde hair flopping back and forth as she tilts her head, eventually coming to a decision she replies. "Its worth it."

"Nooo! You're tearing this family apart kid!" He exclaims as he dramatically grabs his chest tears filling his eyes as he glances between his daughter and Newt.

"You did say this was all for the family, Tanya learning this stuff could really help out the family from getting scammed? Its all for the family right? Unless you want to tell your dear wife about your secret?" Newt evilly grins to Jared's despair.

-------

"Okay, joking aside, we are mostly self sustainable, occasionally we might want something from the market but for the most part, we just live by ourselves. It's not like we have a lot of money, nor do we sell the fish Tanya catches, occasionally firewood for a bit of money."

"Makes sense." Newt nods as Tanya is gets whiplash from the sudden seriousness the conversation turned.

"Though... Kid who are you? Runaway son of a merchant or something?"

Getting a confused look, Jared explains.

"Kid that isn't a normal line of thought, unless your a merchant or from a somewhat important family than your education is nonexistent. Considering the quality of clothes given, the state they were in, the state of your body when you arrived here. It is the only think that comes to mind." Jared explains, quietly whispering under his breath, "...at least in Vesuvia..."

"Talking only about your mathematic skill is far higher than most children your age, for the most part at least, not even mentioning maturity and thought process."

"Ah, I had a teacher for a short while who taught me?"

Newt tries to cover his slip up with a justifiable explanation.

"What are you? Some prodigy who learns for a short period and masters the subject instantly? Some things can't be taught, only learnt through experiences Kid, maturity and though process being some of them." Jared chuckles.

"She did say I was talented." Lying through his teeth.

"Sure kid, anyway I won't pry, unless it puts my family at risk..." He gives Newt a serious stare, Newt barely holding the intense gaze, luckily getting saved by Tanya.

"So does that mean I'll get more candy?"

"...Maybe when you're older."

"Awwww!"

Chuckling a little at the antics of the little girl, Newt decides to change the conversation to a more light subject.

"So since Tanya is the only one able to fish, how about she teaches me. If you would be kind enough... sis?" He quietly mutters, only heard by Tanya.

"SURE! Come over here I'll show you!"

Quickly delving into fishing technique, positioning, reading the water. Newt is completely caught up in Tanya's pace, as she beams from excitement with Jared watching pridefully as a small tear streams down his face. Unable to hold in the emotions he feels watching his only daughter enjoying herself, or more precisely, being able to enjoy herself.

"Barry and Pierre would have loved watching this." He quietly smiles as he watches his daughter beaming with happiness at a new... Friend? Brother? Either way, he was happy, "Jen will like this." He smiles and dismisses his lingering worries over Newt.

 

First chapter i wrote after i got my PC back. Chapters should be around 1.5k to 2k words. Occasionally hitting higher and lower.

0