Ch.7- Day off
140 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We walked through the night, me following closely the girl ahead of me. The rain fell in a steady rhythm, its sound masking my footsteps and the occasional grunt from her as she stumbled over unseen obstacles in the darkness. The slums around us were quiet, yet somehow oppressive in their stillness. I could feel every drop of rain on my skin as if it were trying to wash away my ugliness.

I had nowhere to go, so I followed the white-haired and red-eyed girl full of wounds. I didn't know where she was going, but I had no other choice but to keep following her. I no longer had a home to come back to.

We traversed the night streets of the slums and slowly everything started getting illuminated by the streetlights, we were reaching the real city. Reality started to set in my mind. The pain and sorrow I had been living with, showed themselves more clearly in this illuminated world. Just what in the world I'm doing here...? I don't form part of this place...everything is so...clean.

"W-where are we going?" I asked, she looked sideways at me and continued walking.

I would like it if she could at least answer... I know she can actually talk, I remember that Maria told me that she was just timid, though, she doesn't look timid to me... I mean, it's not like I don't have an idea of where she must be going, after all her clothes and weapon are the ones of an adventurer. Still, I don't think I'm prepared to go to The Abyss. I'm the one who asked her however, It's nighttime...and my heart isn't ready yet...

More soldiers began to appear around us. Their eyes followed me very clearly, I don't blame them, this is not the place for me. Only people from the slums with bad intentions traverse Agartha during the night... Is this really the way toward The Abyss...? I mean, I feel like we are deviating a little, we aren't going straight.

"Could you pls pls pls pls pls tell me where are we going?" I begged, she looked sideways at me again and continued walking again.

This might be dangerous, what if she sells me to a slave trader...I had asked her to take me with her it was too late now to back out... A part of me wanted to turn and run away, but my feet kept moving forward anyway. I didn't know how far we would have to go, or what we would find when we got there. All I could do was grip onto the hope that maybe things wouldn't be so bad once we reached our destination, wherever that may be.

I was so cold, the rain felt colder than ever before in my life. Wasn't she cold too? All I wanted was something warm, somewhere safe, away from this wretched place. But thinking about warmth only made me think of the fire magic I'd seen her use earlier. She had engulfed her adversaries in flames, something she definitely couldn't do before today. Maria would have told me, she wasn't the type to be able to guard secrets... Also, was this girl always so...clean...? She looks...good. I don't remember her being this scary too. Did she keep her power ridden all this time? Why did she suddenly change?

"Have you been hiding your abilities all this time...? When you fought against Las Serpientes, you did some pretty amazing stuff you know"

This time she didn't even look at me, do I even exist in her mind...? More importantly, why did she attack Las Serpientes? That gang is definitely one you don't mess with... Did she have some type of conflict with them? Was it because of Maria...? If that's the case then-

"You are lucky I decided to wait much longer than my original plan"

A deep voice pulled me out of my thoughts, I looked up and see a tall muscular bald man with a black suit and an umbrella over his head looking at the white-haired girl in front of me. He was imposing, just like her, they were nearly the same stature, him being a little taller. Is she really fifteen years old...?

"Did you know that when someone does a favor for you, you thank them?" He said, he seemed to be a little irritated. The white-haired girl just keep staring at him with a blank look, no emotion could be discerned. "What are you confused about? How can you not understand that you need to thank people for the favors they give you?" The man added.

What does he mean by her being confused, she doesn't look confused to me.

"You seem to had have a pretty awful day," The man said as she looks at her from toe to head "I'll show you the way to the inn."

So we are going to an inn, I thought we were going to The Abyss... I feel more relaxed now.

"Is the girl behind you coming too?" He said.

The white-haired girl looked at me, she seemed to be thinking about something, then she shook her head. An action that throw me in confusion. Fear started setting in me.

"I don't think she thinks the same..." The man said, he seemed to give me some kind of pitiful look.

The girl looked at me, then at him, and started doing nonsensical signals with her hand trying to convey some type of complex message.

"So you are saying that she just followed you...?"

What!? How did he understand her...? No more importantly. What does she mean I just followed her?

"W-what do you mean? I asked you if you could take me with you"

She didn't even look at me and instead signaled the man and did some more nonsensical signs again.

"Do you want to get going? I think that you should resolve the misunderstanding with the lady first, but it's not my problem" The man started walking "Follow me"

The two of them slowly walked, getting further and further away from me. I stared at the back of the girl. My heart started racing.

"W-wait, don't you need someone to help you descend The Abyss?"

She kept walking.

"I can help you. I have always been good at throwing stones."

She didn't even seem to hear me.

"Please, I have nowhere to go"

Her silhouette started fading in the rain. My mind went blank and I started pursuing her back, running with all the little strength I had left.

"P-please, wait"

The girl looked back for a moment. I little of hope started to build up in my heart only to be eradicated as she took a dagger from her hip. My heart paused at the action.

"Hey, don't attack her, she didn't do anything wrong" The man said, looking at me sideways.

The girl pointed at me and then looked toward the man.

"No, she didn't try to attack you" He sighed "Also, you don't want to fight here, in the city. Even if the soldiers take your side since you are an adventurer and she is a beggar, you won't go unscathed, fighting in the city is a very big deal"

After looking at the soldiers around us, she slowly put her dagger on its scabbard around her hip. She looked at me with an unexpressive face, it was terrific. She then turned around and the man and she began walking again.

I fell to my knees. The cold rain poured on me making me shiver.

"P-please, I have nowhere to go"

She kept walking.

"If I go alone to The Abyss, I will die..."

She didn't even seem to hear me.

"I don't have anywhere to go, my parents were kidnapped, they probably are already slaves...my grades are not good enough to keep attending the church classes... I have nowhere to go..."

Her silhouette started fading in the rain.

"Las Serpinetes... They killed Maria, they took them..." I mumbled to myself "I don't care anymore, I'll just go and save them...even if that's impossible..."

I heard steps coming in my direction, I looked up and saw the girl in front of me, she was slightly crouched and looked at me with an impassive expression. Her eyes were glued to mines.

"...You will help me kill them..." She said.

 

------

 

The three of us stepped into a small building. 'Small' at least for this city's standards. I can't even feel my hand due to the other cold. The man could have at least let me join under the umbrella with him...whatever, I never expected anything from anyone, people suck after all.

This building is very elegant... The walls are a mixture of orange and yellow, it was decorated with paintings of what seemed to be nobles. The tables and chairs look pretty damn expensive. Is this really just an inn...? No way.

"It's not that great, don't get surprised" The man said while looking at me.

"Are my emotions that obvious...?" How embarrassing...

"They aren't, this man right here is just too good at reading emotions." I turned around and saw a woman with glasses from around middle age, she had brown hair and black eyes. She wore a kind smile on her face.

"So...you are a mind wizard...?" I asked curiously.

"I am, though it's not related to me being able to understand emotions easily" He said, then turned towards the white-haired girl. "Don't look at me like that... Reading facial expressions and reading minds, are not the same. Even if I wanted I wouldn't be able to read your mind. Your [mental fortitude] must be really high, it's easily close to level 5 or 4."

The girl kept staring at him, he frowned at her and then clicked his tongue.

"Well, who might these ladies be? Mind introducing me to them, Miguel?" The woman asked, she looked at me with a smile. I smiled back.

"Customers" He responded.

"I mean, what are her names..." She sighed.

"I'm Plotina and her name is Irena, it's a pleasure to meet you" I said while smiling at her.

"The pleasure is mine, you might refer to me as Barbana."

Irena fixed her red eyes on me for some weird reason... It was really uncomfortable, is my smile weird? I really can't understand her.

"Have you come here to rent a room?"

I looked sideways at the girl at my side, luckily she seemed to notice my gaze. She nodded at her.

"I see... Wait here for a moment, I'll bring towels" She looked at the two of us, then her gaze fixed on the girl at my side "...I'll bring bandages too"

Irena immediately stopped her with her hand.

"Uh, You don't want me to bring the towels?" The woman said.

The girl shook her head. Her thought process is truly a mystery... Isn't she like full of wounds and wet... Did some of her wounds disappear or it's my imagination...?

"She doesn't mind the towels" The man said, then paused and looked at the girl, probably trying to decipher her emotions "She just doesn't want the bandages, probable cause of money"

It amazes me that he can actually understand anything she conveys, not a single facial muscle of her face has moved... How does he do it...?

"Alright, I'll come back in a second"

Just like Barbana declared moments before, she came in a minute, I didn't exactly count but it felt like an exact minute. She gave us the towels and gave an annoyed look at Miguel who averted her eyes.

"Thank you" I said while smiling.

Irena fixed her gaze on me yet again, which made me uncomfortable. It's really something wrong with my smile...?

"How about if we sit there" Barbana pointed to two couches on the right "Thank you, Miguel, you can now go"

"I think I should stay a little longer" He said.

Barbana looked at him with her brown furrowed "Weird... Are you really the Miguel that I know?"

"I am"

"Whatever. Do what you want...?" She glanced at Miguel with a weird expression for some moments, then she sat on the couch.

We also followed her example and sat on the couch too. The two adults seated right in front of the two of me, the girl also seated at my side, sitting so close to her makes me uncomfortable again...

"Well, normally this is done in the reception but since Miguel wants to join I guess that this is going to be more complicated than it seems... So we might as well get comfortable"

"Oh, don't worry. It's not something official or important. Just curiosity" Miguel said while looking at the white-haired girl.

"Oh? I didn't know you, of all people, could get interested in someone" The woman said, somehow her voice was playful.

"... It's not what you think it is" He said with an irritated voice.

I don't think they know she's fifteen... I don't blame them though. I'm close to eighteen and I look younger than her...

"I'm sure it isn't. Well, let's get to business"

 

***

 

In the end, Irena finished up paying 1 silver coin for a week, Miguel helped her to convince the woman that she will pay the silver coin that was left the next week, plus the usual amount. She seems to have plans of staying here for quite some time.

Right now the two of us were in a room. Irena was in the washroom, she was taking a shower. I also took a shower. I felt strange... It's been close to a month since I don't wash. My hair was back to its original state, it was back to being gold.

Irena also ordered food which was placed on the table. It consisted of two bowls of fries. I felt reluctant to start eating without her since she is the one who has paid for all of this, so I stay quiet and sat on the bed.

The room looked comfy, there was one large bed and a little table. It wasn't that luxurious but also not that modest. It was similar to my room back when I was still with my parents... They took them... Those guys... I'll avenge them.

*crack*

I looked to my right side and saw the white-haired girl. She finished bathing... It's a weird thing to say but was she always so clean...? I remember her being full of trash and shit in the slums, at first I couldn't even recognize her. She looks...good, like really good... Not fair, why can't I be tall too... I also want adventure clothes...

The girl sat at my side, she seemed ready to eat, it made me a little uncomfortable that she was so close.

"...Why...?"

Uh? Did she just speak to me?

"...Why were you smiling back then...? ...Your...friend is dead...... your family no...longer with you.....No place to return... Why were you smiling at the woman from before...? I don't understand"

What...? I....where does that come from?

"...Aren't you sad...?"

"I am sad!" Of course, I'm sad that they were kidnapped what does she want to say about that?

"...Then why we're you smiling...?"

"I-I was because I wanted to be polite..."

"...Why...?"

"What?"

"...Why were you polite back then...? ...Your...friend is dead...... your family no...longer with you.....No place to return... Why were you smiling at the woman from before...? I don't understand"

"I-I...what?"

"...Why were you smiling back then...? ...Your...friend is dead...... your family no...longer with you.....No place to return... Why were you smiling at the woman from before...? I don't understand"

"I-I don't know... Why was I even smiling...?"

9