Hellfire Invasion (3): Flying Retreat
1.4k 11 83
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The demon slammed its head against the cocoon, its grotesque limbs pounding on the dark barrier that Raven had conjured. Its thick hide and angular body made me realize that my knife would barely scratch it. I flipped the knife into a reverse grip and pressed the blade against my bare underarm, feeling the cold metal on my skin. It was the only defense I had for now.

The rest of the Titans were getting ready to fight again, but that was foolish. We had been thrashed a moment ago and we would be thrashed again if we stayed.

I sighed as my mind connected to my foragers. A picture started forming in my head. Police sirens wailing in the distance, National Guard arriving on helicopters and Humvees with .50 cals speeding down empty roads to the blockade around the park.

We had a chance, if we made it to the blockade their guns would tear these demons apart.

“Police sirens,” I said to our leader and pointed in the direction, “Probably a blockade, we should make a run for it.”

Starfire paused to consider. “And lead them to the law keepers?”

“They have guns, more than me, they can hold them off, they will hold them off,” I said as I moved to Raven. She was struggling but she did not look completely broken. She could keep going but for how long? Only she knew that. “Besides, we will die if we fight here.”

Starfire’s lips tightened, her eyes closed as she thought, then she nodded. “We fly out of here. I will take Raven and Mira. Blue Beetle, Robin rides with Beetle, and Beast Boy will follow us.”

A silent second passed in the cocoon where no one argued. The plan was set into motion.

I quickly jumped onto Starfire’s back as she held Raven by one hand. I looked towards the other three. Blue Beetle had his blasters out and Robin had his pellets ready. Beast Boy had just taken the form of a small hummingbird.

“Ready?” Starfire asked. We nodded. Then she turned to Raven. “Ready,” the Goth superheroine answered.

“Let’s go.”

Beetle took the lead, his back sprouting two blue thrusters that looked like miniature rockets. Concentric rings of neon blue light powered up in seconds inside his jets, creating a loud whirring sound. He shot into the sky like a bullet, breaking the cocoon as his body collided with the dome. The dome cracked like glass, shards of darkness falling to the ground. We followed him, flying as fast as we could toward the sirens and the guns.

The feeling of the cold wind grinding against my skin made me feel relieved as I caught the sight of many many small explosions happening on the ground and around us. Robin was using what he had, the flyers though, they barely noticed. 

"Explosives barely affect them…" I mumbled out and grilled my knife harder. The grounded leather felt soft in my hand and ready for work. And just as I did a flyboy slipped by a few inches from me before it was blasted by Starfire. 

My eyes were drawn by a howl, three…masses of flesh floated towards us, teeth that looked like skewers lined a gaping mouth, a tongue taller and thicker than me swayed widely in the wind, its wing were barely anything more than props and its eyes barely anything more than crude gel glared straight at us.

I shuddered as I saw the arm of a girl skewered onto one canine, swaying two and fro as the abomination of mass slowly moved towards us. 

It was crude, like a beast that had been sown together from a mangle of corpses. An abomination. If it got to us we would be dead…but it was slow, it would never catch us then why? As my mind raced one of them broke off and headed off in a different direction, my eyes followed its path, it was going to the suburbs, unintentionally my voice leaked, "Oh." 

The demons planned to force us to fight because my bigot teammates would definitely fight if they threatened civilians. But no one else had noticed it, they were all too busy…they would go to help if they knew. If they knew. They did not. So I ignored it, focused on watching other threats, and as if to punctuate my point another three Demons swooped down from the heavens to which I drew the two girl's attention, "Two—no—three flyers, above us!" 

Starfire nodded and turned to the sky and blasted them they dogged but it broke their trajectory. 

It was then that I sighted the blockade, my heart jumped, the national guard had brought in heavy IFVs, Bradleys. Their Bushmasters aimed up into the sky, one man grabbed a megaphone and shouted into it, "Titans! Quick! Get to us!" The sirens rang strong as the small arms were aimed up.

But that was not it, the Demons were rushing through the tree line as well, they had not left our…Raven's trail. I dumped all the panic I could muster into my voice, "Starfire, we need to warn them of the ground demons!" 

She nodded as green energy started to glow around us, her orange skin glowed with a green hue, and she blasted down with us, I felt physics take its toll as pain racked my arms due my interia but I bit down. She was blitzing down the path, a demon tried to fly into the way only to be skewered by a Robin that crashed down into it with the business end of his Katana making sweet love to its flesh and jumping out of it, using his cape to make a gentle glide down with us. 

Beetle was soon next to us along with Beast Boy in an eagle's form then we touched down. 

I followed my instinct and jumped down from Starfire's back and immediately shouted, "Demons are in the tree line as well, not just the sky!" 

The commander—I did not know his rank—raised his brows but he nodded, "Bring down the Bushmaster—" He was cut off by a scream, nay, a warcry as demons emerged from the trees onto us, we were some hundred meets from the trees, and they were at the flank of the blockade which was built around the holding the main highway against any attack from the road. They were not trained for demons, were they? But that did not matter as the .50 cals swung around immediately along with the Bushmaster auto-cannon on the Bradley. 

The cannon cycled its first round and with a deafening roar, the shell moved past all of us, the crack of the sound barrier, the shockwave I felt it all as the bony carapace of a demon was blown into smithereens. Only a stump where a once mighty demon stood. Then it fired again, and again and again…

The 50s joined the carnage too, they tore chunks off the beasts, the three Humvees unloaded bullets that could go through steel plates into flesh and bone before switching to the sky as the commander shouted, "Humvees keep the bogies off us, we have some anti-air assets being routed to us." 

I had to agree, the army unlike how it is depicted in the comics is a force to be reckoned with, the streaks of light that filled the sky in the form of tracers were beautiful. But I broke my mind off it and caught sight of a supply vehicle guarded by two men, I walked over to them, "I need one pistol," they were surprised by my request and shared a look but before one said, "Listen we can't…" I pulled my jacket open, showing them rows and rows of magazines latched onto a bulwark of Bat-grade kevlar protection. 

Their brows raised before one of them shrugged and took out a barrette a six magazines, but before he handed them to me he said, "You don't look like a Superhero." 

I smiled at him, not that he could see it behind my mask, "I was enjoying the carnival then this happened, didn't have time to get into armor. And do you guys have grenades and flashes?"

He nodded and slid me a pair of both, "You know the usage?" 

I shrugged, "Like the back of my hand and are you guys okay with giving it to me, I thought there would be a lot of bickering involved." 

He smiled at me, "Superhumans and mutual cooperation during times of crisis Act 2007, look it up. And what's your name?" 

"I joined the Titans and by extension the superhero side recently, no name," I said as I adjusted everything into place. The magazine into the latches and the nades into my underskirt pouch and started back, the feeling of the gun was off, it was not as well made as the one Jason gave me but heck I doubt there were many guns that were. 

My mind was drawn off from the gun by the man, "Good luck." 

I nodded and rejoined the rest, the Titans were in discussion with the commander, they had the map out and were talking around it. 

Grabbing my phone out of my pocket I tapped it open and checked the messages, I saw the reply from Batman "/Superman-Mind Controlled. Fighting./" So that's why they were not here yet. But about the rest of the League? Tapping my phone app I started scrolling my way through my contacts [Martian Manhunter]. 

I dialed and it connected instantly, and from the other side came a calm and collected voice, one that felt cool as ice, no panic, no hurry, like it was just another Tuesday, "Hello? Batman's daughter?" 

"Yes, Martina, is there anyone available for reinforcements for the Titans?" 

"No. This is a global attack, all heroes are engaged and Superman's…loss has proved most troublesome." 

"They are very likely after Raven." 

He let a beat drop before continuing, "Please Explain." 

"They surrounded her and started speaking. They did not do that with anyone else did they?" 

"...No, no they did not. I will reroute the core members as soon as…They are coming now. Superman has retreated." 

"I don't like the sound that one bit. Thank you." 

"Neither do I, keep your friends safe." 

I nodded as I cut the call and at the next moment I saw the sight of a cop rushing in, "Sir, one monster has started attacking the eastern Suburbs!" He shouted to the commander. 

Starfire immediately interfered, "Only one?" The cop nodded and so she immediately took flight, "I will be back." 

Yes, that tactic to lure us into a fight, though it was poorly implemented, at least it proved that the demons did have some brain matter. 

I walk over to the rest of the Titans and the commander while announcing, "The League should be here soon." 

"Who?" Robin asked as he pulled himself next to me. 

"Batman should be among them, don't know about the rest," I said and switched my eyes to the start of today's show, "Raven, I think you have something to say?" 

She was sitting on a rock next to the Bradley and she looked up she nodded, "Let Star come back first." 

Really, you must be feeling pathetic. Having already lost one home you lead your father to another. Demons searching for you killed hundreds, of men, women, kids, young and old all dead because your father wants you. If you had just killed yourself we won't be in this predicament now, would we? 

And keeping quiet? Despite the fact that your knowledge could be of use to us? What a useless bint, she probably thinks her peers will shun her when they find her story out and so she lets her emotions influence her decisions. A mistake. A mistake that will bite you in the ass someday Raven. And it will bite down hard. 

I wonder what will happen when that shakes out. Will you burn to the ground or will your friends catch you before you turn to ash? Either way, not my problem. 

I am such a bitch, aren't I?

83