44th Fragment – An Old Friend II
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Why are you coming here?"

 

Johann slowly stood up, revealing his unkept face and hair. His eyes stare coldly at Arisa, still filled with the rage and determination to seek justice for his father.

Yet, Arisa stands still while staring at him back. She then smiles to reply to Johann's piercing gaze just now.

 

"I just want to see an old friend. There's no harm in it, right?"

"Nonsense. There's no reason for you to come here. Look, I've killed a lot of people. So I ask you: Does your family still around? Your parents, or maybe your stupid siblings perhaps? So, are you going to make me pay because of that, Arisa?!"

 

Arisa's chest feels hurt hearing Johann's question. Who wouldn't feel disturbed when someone who had indeed caused such a disaster and snatched away her family is in front of that girl, provoking her further?

Still, Arisa has been thinking about this many times. Her parents as her past families who had given her the warmth of a family relationship, her childhood friends who had taken extreme paths to avenge his only family due to political agenda, and the resemblance of her loss to Johann—

—both lost someone who made their chest warm and feels safe.

Arisa understood very well what Johann was feeling all this time.

 

"No answer. So your family is gone. Then, what are you going to do with me now?"

"…"

"So as you know, I'm not regretting what I've done so far. I won't apologize to you either. Just you wait, I will definitely be get out of here and avenge my father."

"Johann—"

"This is the pain I've been feeling all this time, you understand?! Let all the volunteers know how I feel about this goddamned planet! Damn you all!"

"I care a lot about you, Johann. Because that's the main reason I came here."

 

Arisa's calm reply made Johann feel grith his teeth. If Arisa continued her words again, then he would—

The girl with the long brown hair hugs Johann tight suddenly. His eyes widen, totally not expecting his childhood friend to do that. Why would Arisa embrace the killer of her parents?

 

"What the hell? Let me go."

 

Johann struggles to push Arisa. However, she is much stronger somehow. Perhaps it's because Johann had been confined in this place since the accident, so he doesn't move that much.

As her friend is still trying to push her off, Arisa pushes Johann's body first until he hits the wall hard. He groans weakly because his head hits a bit and almost falls if only Arisa doesn't catch his body first.

 

"Ahh–"

"Have you calmed down a bit?"

"Kuh, damn…"

 

Johann is no longer saying anything and letting Arisa do as she pleases. Even though Johann is no longer showing signs of struggle, Arisa doesn't let go of her arms even a bit. In fact, she tightened her hug even more, just like what she did to Rio when they were at the border of the safe zone. Or when Arisa found her younger siblings during the dam accident. She hugs Johann so tightly that she feels breathless herself.

 

 "…now I understand how you feel, Johann. Why would you do such a risky thing for the sake of your only family… even at the cost of our planet's future? Therefore, I apologize that I cannot understand your feelings at that time."

"—uh…"

 

Arisa apologized. Johann is really confused because of what Arisa has said. However, his ears didn't lie. Arisa really apologizes to him.

Even after everything that he did.

 

"Seriously. What do you mean, Arisa?"

"I'm really sorry for not being able to understand you since we met again that night, under the heavy rain."

"..."

 

Arisa is breathing heavily. And somehow, Johann also feels the same way–he can't understand Arisa's viewpoint. Deep beneath his consciousness, a little bit of guilt appeared, even if it was just an atom-sized.

For the first time, they reconnected in a long time since their last meeting when Arisa's biological father died.

Is it okay for Johann to let his guard down in front of his childhood friend?

Is it really okay for him to be weak in front of Arisa?

 

"To me, you are still my friend. You are Johann, who always accompanies me when we are in the laboratory to study and to play," said Arisa quietly.

 

Johann closes his eyes.

He secretly wishes that if possible, Arisa will no longer be affected when Johann gets the chance to seize his opportunity back to seek justice for his father.

0