45th Fragment – Serene, Peaceful Night
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The light green-colored car drives at an average speed on the main bridge, Tantoris' north. The sun is setting in the far west, letting the moon appear soon along with the stars in the sky. Someone driving down the road hums cheerfully, following the rhythm of the radio she is playing. She glances at the rearview mirror to check the vehicle behind her for a moment. She adjusted the ice cream-shaped hair clip in her hair before turning her gaze to the road again.

 

"Hah, a week-worth work is finally done!" Arisa cheered and then followed the soft music again

 

It's been seven years since the event at the dam. The restoration is a big success as indicated by the latest construction substituted damaged property due to the flood. When Arisa glanced out the window from a distance, she could see the dam was still in the restoration process–about a quarter more to the completion. The structure got some green spots in the lower half, almost covering all available concrete. It's a feast for Arisa's eyes seeing the dam with greenish addition like that.

 

"Amazing. Rio's plan has come to fruition. He should be able to see how it turns out in the future. I think they focused on restoring the city first and when it was finished, they're going to the dam. If I heard it right…."

 

Not long after, Arisa arrived at her house. This residence is also one of the objects that are the result of restoration from the city government. When Arisa gets out of the car, she takes a glimpse of her perfect home with her arms folded on her chest.

 

"After all, Rio and Valerie worked hard until all the damage had been taken care of before they returned to the future. Although there are some minor changes, it's not a problem. Those two are really diligent people," Arisa commented.

 

Entering the house, Arisa finds her siblings wearing aprons and preparing dinner.

 

"What a surprise, Big Sis is already home at this hour. Usually, you're stuck with overtime," said the younger brother.

"Hehe, I feel very diligent today so there's no need to work overtime. Wow, what are you making for dinner?"

"I'm in the mood to eat some chicken. We also already have the ingredients in the fridge so we decided to make chicken curry," Vanilla replied in a cold tone. Her hands are still busy preparing the dish inside a hot pot. The brownish orange color and scrumptious aroma quickly fill the dining room, arousing Arisa's appetite after a long work day.

 

Later, the two take off their aprons and join the eldest sister, who was already prepared with her plate at the dinner table. When Tirto served the dish, Arisa's impatient hand quickly took a large spoon which Vanilla slapped lightly.

 

"Don't be hurry. We have to take Mom and Dad's portion too," the bob-haired girl rebuked flatly.

"Ahaha, right, right," Arisa replied awkwardly.

 

Arisa glanced at the two empty seats right next to Tirto. Those chairs are where Mom and Dad usually sit. Now, only three people are occupying the table. So, it feels quieter than before.

Everyone is silent for a few minutes before Arisa takes her curry. When Vanilla helps Arisa take her portion of chicken curry, Tirto waits patiently.

 

"As usual, it's so spot on. Good job, you two."

"Slow down, big sis. You'll choke yourself," Tirto warned.

"You should be more polite even though it's just the three of us," Vanilla sneered.

"Hahaha, because it's so delicious I can't control myself…."

 

The dinner went by as usual, just like the previous night.

 

Vanilla and Tirto are in high school now, and usually, they say goodbyes in the morning while wearing uniforms to Arisa, who is still half asleep, forced to wake up still wearing her pajamas. Seeing them leave the door daily to school made Arisa proud as the eldest.

She feels she successfully raised her siblings, according to her determination, seven years ago.

So, Arisa is puffing her chest to see how Vanilla and Tirto are in their teenage years now. All the hard work she did has paid off.

 

Saturday has arrived. On that day, both Arisa's siblings got a day off from school. She also has no work schedule this weekend. So, everyone is currently free, and it's suited to Arisa's plan.

When morning came, everyone in the house wore pajamas to laze around. Vanilla is playing on her cell phone while sitting on the sofa, and Tirto is on the floor, watching the news on the television.

 

"For next news, we will bring you to the progress of construction for the Tantoris City's dam. The city government stated that the construction of the vital facility is progressing smoothly. They also claim to have found the right formula for reinforcing concrete structures using a special type of vine or plants. It is enough to get the attention from abroad regarding the implementation of the plant related to the safety of dam construction. Our source said it's estimated that the dam will be able to function again after the next five years."

 

Vanilla shifts her gaze from her cell phone to the television screen. A glimpse of nostalgia greets her memory as the former resident of the said place. However, she doesn't think much about it and returns to her cell phone.

 

"Next, we will bring you the mysterious round object that caused the collapse of the dam seven years ago for the next topic. Investigations have been conducted for years and the analysis report which stated that the object is a product of far more sophisticated technology than ours remains unchanged. Theories regarding the origin of the object have not yet received any significant proof. Is the round thing coming from outer space or is there someone from the future who visited us here? Hopefully, we will get the answer soon from the authorities."

 

Tirto enjoyed his snack while his gaze was still on the screen. He glances at his cell phone lying on the floor but quickly loses interest and returns to the television.

 

"Today we are going on a picnic!" the eldest sister cheered suddenly, piercing the ears of his siblings lying around on the weekends.

 

Arisa is already dressed when the two of them turn their heads. They're having the same thought: What's this all of a sudden?

 

"Wait a moment! Before you ask why, I will answer it first! You see, I got a promotion at work yesterday, so I want to celebrate it today since everyone mostly are free. Let's play until we beat! Don't be lazy, you're still young!"

 

Arisa's siblings look at each other before Tirto nods slowly. Without words, they rushed to prepare themselves with the excited eldest sister waiting on the sofa.

Arisa drives her green car to go around the western's town. Tirto was in the front passenger seat to help his sister navigate, and Vanilla was in the back seat, looking out the window.

 

"So where are we going?" asked Vanilla.

"Of course to have fun!" said Arisa from the driver's seat.

"What an abstract answer…let me guess. Will we go to the shopping complex first?"

"Good guess, Tirto. I really want to go shopping first."

 

In short, they arrived at the city's shopping complex. Since today is Saturday, the situation looks crowded. People spend their time just looking around or unwinding by buying various things they want, just like what occurred in Arisa's head.

Vanilla grabbed her sister's arm when she was going to enter an electronics store that featured a new refrigerator promo with a bonus set of ice cream makers.

 

"We don't need that," Vanilla said flat. Arisa just laughed dryly.

 

Ultimately, they decided to go around while enjoying ice cream in each other's mouths. For Tirto, he did not follow his two sisters, who were able to eat cold snacks continuously, so he preferred a hot dog perched on his lips.

Those three arrived at the eatery, which was located about fifteen minutes using a vehicle from the shopping area. Vanilla and Tirto couldn't stop looking around because it was their first time here.

 

"I've never been here before. This place looks fancy," said Tirto as Vanilla nodded in agreement.

"It's necessary to be fancy when I want to celebrate something. This place is perfect, all right." Arisa replied as they took their seats while looking through the menu book. She doesn't mind the dishes' price there.

"Big Sis, are you sure we're going to eat here?" Vanilla asked to be sure.

Arisa smiled wide and she puffed out her chest. "I'm hundred percent sure. Now! Order as you please!"

 

Since that was the final straw Tirto needed, he started to list what he should eat. Vanilla is looking through the menu while carefully choosing because she doesn't want to let this opportunity go by.

Arisa guesses each of the choices of her siblings. Most likely, Vanilla will order something cold plus ice cream as her mandatory dish, while Tirto prefers western dishes. 

 

"Big Sis, why are you smiling by yourself?" Tirto asked when he noticed that Arisa was watching them.

"No. It's nothing," Arisa replied casually.

 

When the waitress brings over the dishes, Arisa feels like she has achieved a moment in her life because her guess is quite correct. Vanilla ordered light snacks accompanied by a large portion of ice cream, while Tirto chose a steak. 

In short, those three left the restaurant satisfied. When Vanilla gazes up, the sun is setting in the west.

 

"Next, we will go to the Ferris wheel as the last destination. You still don't want to go home yet, do you?" asked Arisa while driving the car.

 

There was no objection from her siblings. Thus, the girl wearing an ice cream-shaped hairclip rides her vehicle to the city's south, where they can find various kinds of night rides and the Ferris wheel Arisa refers to. They're going around to enjoy most of the rides on a weekend night first, then ride the Ferris wheel.

The three of them couldn't while enjoying the view from above even though they had seen it several times from the Tower Café. No matter how often they see the evening sparkle of Tantoris City from above, something magical always takes their attention in a grasp. Arisa can see the city dam shrouded in bright construction lights at the city's northern end this time.

 

"Thankfully the repair of the dam is progressing smoothly so far," Tirto commented.

"Precisely what's the news anchor said," Vanilla added.

"On the other side, This city is indeed very charming when viewed from above like this. It's like a firework that never goes out." Tirto smiled a bit with his gaze locked on every corner of the city. 

"I agree," replied the girl with the bob cut while looking at the area she had rarely seen.

"Yeah. No matter how much several years have passed, this sight can't be compared to anything else. It feels warm and makes me feel comfortable, even though it's supposed to be cold because it's nighttime already," Arisa added.

 

Instead of enjoying the night view of the city, Arisa stared intently at her siblings, who watched outside the window. Perhaps, Arisa is talking about something different than the previous topic.

There's a smile on her face, a smile that came from the heart of someone who loved ice cream so much that she wore an ice cream-shaped hairclip on her head.

0