Chapter 26: Sins of the Leaders
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I was just getting ready to give this Xiwaoan exactly what he deserves!” The captor kept his sword raised until another villager grabbed him by the wrist. This man was taller and far stronger, evident by the muscles on his chest and arms that his slim hide vest failed to cover up. His long black hair was tied at one end as it dangle over his chest. From the bottom down he was dressed like the other villagers, wearing similar pants and boots that reached up to his shins. Around his neck he wore a necklace with the teeth of unknown beasts looped through the strings.

He turned and stared at Yaihan with his dark brown eyes, all while keeping the other villager still by the wrists. “Another captive?” he said.

Yaihan lifted his wrists and showed the man the torn rope. “As of now, no,” he replied.

“Look at how he mocks us! At least the other Xiwaoans had the decency to come gracefully!”

“Calm yourself, young one.” He let go of the captor’s wrist, making him lower his weapon to his side. “Remember what I said? We have to be better than the Xiwaoans.”

The leader of the village stepped forwards and stood in front of Yaihan with his arms crossed in front of his chest. His scanned the cultivator from the top down. “You look as though you could be a formidable soldier.”

“Some would say that,” Yaihan replied.

“Shame that you are Xiwaoan.”

Yaihan tilted his head to the side, locking eyes with the village’s leader. “And why is that?”

“See?” the head captor boasted with a finger pointing at Yaihan’s face. “He plays dumb! He acts like he knows nothing of our history with his people.”

“Quiet, Willmin.” The head of the village waved his hand over his shoulder, dismissing the insubordinate individual with a flick of his wrist. “You will have to forgive him. He’s hotheaded, much like I was at his age.”

“I hold no ill will towards him,” Yaihan replied. “But, I must ask. What have you done with the rest of my party? Willmin said that there was to be a trial.”

“And he’s right. The Xiwaoans are to be held accountable for what they’ve done to our people.” The village leader patted his heart twice with his fist, followed by all the onlookers doing the same."

“I’ve done you no harm,” Yaihan said coolly. “And there’s even a Mesimican among those that you captured.”

“A Mesimican among your ranks?” The villager leader cocked his head sideways and stared back at Yaihan, perplexed. “There were only three. Two Xiwaoan women and Remcroftian spy along with three steeds.”

Yaihan’s eyes peeled open. “So Lysa is missing?”

“I don’t know a Lysa. All I know is that if there really was a Mesimican among your party, we would not have taken them captive.”

“She is very important. The woman is a powerful healer. If you cared about your people, you’d let my party and I search for her. The survival of humanity depends on her. Both Mesimican and Xiwaoan.”

“You are in no position to give orders. Even though you seem honorable enough, you are still Xiwaoan. A soldier, most likely. So I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re only feigning ignorance to avoid retribution for the atrocities you’ve taken part in.”

“I’ve done nothing wrong,” Yaihan said, refusing to step back despite the other’s advances. “And I’m sure the rest of my party are innocent as well.”

“That is what the trial is for. With some proper questioning, I shall determine whether or not you and your allies are not guilty for taking part in Xiwao’s acts of cruelty towards my people.”

“If you are to determine our fates, might I ask your name?”

“I am Tolluk, leader of what remains of the Woodsroamer tribe.”

“Your men spoke very highly of you during our journey here,” Yaihan said as his eyes angled toward Willmin. “And through this brief conversation, I can tell that you’re an honorable man.”

“I appreciate your compliments.” Tolluk bowed as he put a hand over his heart. “But keep in mind that flattery will not change how I will go through with your trial.”

“You could at least tell me the crimes that I’m being charged for. That way I’d be able to defend myself properly.”

Willmin burst forward, flailing his sword around until the other villagers grabbed him by the arms. “I’m tired of your fake ignorance! He acts like he knows nothing of what his people did to my family.” Tears streamed from his eyes as the other villagers pried the sword out of his hands.

“Willmin!” Tolluk shouted. The younger man stopped squirming and instead hung limply in the arms of his fellow tribesmen as he sobbed. “I understand how difficult it is for you to recall what happened to your loved ones, but you need to have composure. I’ve already stopped your intrusions twice. If I have to do it again, then no water for a day and a half. Is that understood?”

“Y-Yes...” Tolluk said. His fellow villagers freed him, allowing Willmin to wipe away his tears with his wrist.

“Now then.” The leader returned his attention to Yaihan. “Are you being genuine when you say that you don’t know what Xiwao has done to various tribes all across Mesimica?”

“I haven’t set foot on Xiwao’s mainland in over a decade,” Yaihan replied. “I was cultivating.”

A murmur travelled across the villagers, discussing myths and legends amongst each other. “Cultivation?” Tolluk asked, intrigued. “Those wild tales you hear from some of the less-than-stable Xiwaoans after a heavy night of drinking?”

“Yes. That kind of cultivation.”

Tolluk reached down and lifted one of Yaihan’s wrists and looked at the torn rope. “That explains what happened here.”

“Don’t tell us you actually believe this man!” one villager called out. “Not once have we come across a Xiwaoan as strong as you! This man lies like the rest of his people!”

“That’s what the trial will be for,” Tolluk replied without turning away from the cultivator. “For capturing, torturing and the enslavement of the innocent people of the Woodsroamer Tribe!”

Yaihan staggered back, stunned by the accusations. “I would never do such a thing!” he said bluntly. “And I can’t believe that Xiwaoans would be capable of such terrible acts.”

Tolluk put his arms across Yaihan’s shoulders. With his hand, the leader started pointing at the people of his village. “Are you saying that you don’t believe them? Every single one of us had to endure the ruthlessness of your vile regime.”

The leader pointed directly at Willmin, who sat criss-cross with his face buried into the palms of his hands as he sobbed. “Take him for example. I know he’s brash, but he has a reason to be. A Xiwaoan slaver killed his entire family for sport! Hunted them like game in the back of his estate!”

“My condolences,” Yaihan said. “I too am familiar with what it’s like losing family and being treated as less than a human. All the more reason to believe me when I say that I took no part in these events.”

The leader shook his head, still unmoved by Yaihan’s statements. “Even if you didn’t, one of those in your party certainly was.” Tolluk peered into Yaihan’s eyes. “We have a Xiwaoan commander in captivity. You must know of her.”

“Fei-Lu.”

“Yes. I believe that’s her name. You know she is Xiwaoan nobility, correct?”

Yaihan nodded. “She told me she is the daughter of a prominent tactician.”

Tolluk narrowed his eyes. “The very same man that organized the raid on Mesimica that forced us over here!” Tolluk pointed at Yaihan’s chest but kept his eyes locked with the cultivator’s. “And here you are, part of her party, roaming our land! And you expect to just believe that you had no idea of what the Xiwaoan people have done over the past ten years?”

“I’ve explained myself before. I understand your anger, but there is a greater threat at hand.” Yaihan nudged the leader’s hand away from his chest and looked at him with a scowl. The entire village gasped in shock, but Tolluk remained calm despite the sentiment of his village. “You know of the Oni-Zhen. And you know that there isn’t much left of Xiwao.”

“Of course we know of the evil demons that roam the continent,” Tolluk said, his face wrinkled with disgust. “And do you know how those demons are created?”

“I have an idea.”

“They are made when weak Xiwaoans give in to their cowardice and lust for strength. Your people have only yourselves to blame for your destruction. I can say with certainty that not a single member of my tribe has given in to the temptation to join the Oni ranks, no matter how often they threaten our village or take our people as slaves!”

Yaihan paused, focusing on Tolluk’s last statement. “You said slaves?”

“Yes. Even when the Xiwaoans are on the verge of destruction, they still manage to enslave our people.”

The cultivator stepped closer, making sure that Tolluk listened. “Then you will want to hear the bit of information that I’ve come across.”


Art Spotlight: Tolluk Woodsrunner

0