Clues
265 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Far away on the East. At certain city where the Holy Grail Wars were first founded, within a certain mansion of magus family. 

"Is it fine to do it, Tokiomi? That seems too harsh on her..." 

"As a magus, I am proud my daughter is selected by the Grail. And she even brave enough to still participate in it. However, our family already give up on the Grail. Even if it's the original Grail..." 

"You're still hesitating about it, right?" 

"That's... not what I meant, Aoi."

"It's fine, Tokiomi... no matter if Rin decided to quit or insist on participating into the Holy Grail War, I am also proud of her." 

"....." Tokiomi Tohsaka was silent as he looked at his wife, Aoi Tohsaka, who smiled calmly, seemingly already accepting things as they were. 

'It's really... pathetic of me...' 

In truth, it's exactly as she said. He was still hesitating whether to give up or kept pursuing the [ROOT] through the Grail. Since the three families lost hold on Greater Grail sixty years ago, Tohsaka family at that time already gave up on the Grail. They then found another method in attempt to reach the [ROOT]. 

However, the new method that's found since sixty years ago was challenged due to the emergence of long-lost Greater Grail. Even more so when the successor of Tohsaka family was chosen as one participating Master. 

After going through some internal struggles, Tokiomi Tohsaka decided to leave the decision on Rin. She's the one chosen by the Grail. She's also the successor of Tohsaka family's magecraft, their future generation. Concerning their family future's path, Rin would be the one would go through it a lot. It's better if Rin could choose a decision she wouldn't regret later on...

'If Rin decided to back off after only such trouble, then it's perhaps really the time for Tohsaka family to give up on the Grail... However, if she didn't back off, then...' 

Tokiomi quietly glanced at the old model telephone atop the wooden cabinet on their living room. With it, he just informed the Association about his decision on Rin's participation inside the upcoming Holy Grail War...

"Well, prepare your and Sakura's luggage, Aoi. We will be going to London to pick up Rin."  Tokiomi suddenly said. 

"Really?" Aoi's expression brightened as she both worried and missed Rin. 

"Hm." 

"Is it only to pick her up?" 

"Well, that depends on her decision." 

"You know, I heard she's living with a guy inside the same mansion there..." Aoi said randomly as she went to prepare their things while smiling slightly. 

As she had her back facing him, she didn't see that Tokiomi seemed to have several black lines on his face after hearing her words. Apparently, he was thinking what kind of punishment he would give to that boy who dared to trick his daughter... 

...

"....."

"....."

The room was in a tense silence as both Caster and Rafi looked at each other -- unflinching, not giving any ground to the other party. 

Although no people could see through the fog around her, but her current gesture indicated she was having a staring duel with him.

"...are you sure you don't know anything to help her wake up, Caster?" 

"There is no problem to my contract with her. However, for the solution to her current situation, I am still unclear about it. I won't say something I am not sure myself." 

"Are you really a Caster Servant? Isn't magecraft your forte?" Rafi spoke as he looked up and down at her, still trying to see through the fog surrounding Caster. From what he inferred, that bluish fog was really similar to the black mist which surrounded Berserker Lancelot, distorting other's perception on her and hindering any Masters from sensing her stat values. 

In the end, he muttered in lower voice as he looked disappointed at her, "...you can't even explain her condition. I really doubt how you can be summoned as a Caster, hmph."

It's been a week since he summoned his Servant. At each day, he would check up on Rukino as he frequented the Association's library to see if there was a similar case as her and its cure. He skimmed through many books to find a chance, even if it's a slight one. However, none of the cases he found were able to help in her recovery in the slightest.

Currently, Rukino was being treated by Caster as per his request. He felt Caster was more of an expert in magecraft that most mages of current era. He believed that someone as unfathomable as Caster might have a chance to awaken Rukino... 

Though, his hope seemed to be dashed when she said she had no clue about awakening Rukino from her current state.

"Hm, did you say something?" 

"No. Perhaps you have a hearing problem, Caster." He stated with a poker face.

"...ah. I forgot to say it. However, I can deduce that it's her spirit which is injured." She spoke as if she just remembered it, sounding like a genuine one on her part. While Rafi was immediately put on rapt attention as he listened to her, putting away his previous frown to her.

"She overdrafted her mana and spirit to exceed her limit. There should be a reason which compelled her..." 

"Ugh." His poker face gradually turned into awkward expression as he kept listening to her words. 'Did she hear it from Rin or Luvia?'

"Maybe it's because someone thought highly of himself." 

"Ack." Her words were like another stab on his conscience as he felt it was likely true when he reviewed again the event at that time...

"And he did something reckless which not only put himself on danger, but also herself." 

"*cough*..."

"Not planning things thoroughly. Being a bit conceited due to slight increase in power. *sigh*. I really wonder which idiot it was..." 

"...fine. You won, Caster. I'll go right now..." In the end, Rafi said listlessly as he staggered to outside Rukino's room, feeling defeated even if they're not really fighting.

When he just stepped out, he turned to Caster as his listless look became firm, saying seriously to her, "Even if there's no way to cure her, I'll definitely find - no, even if the the world doesn't have it, I'll make it one myself, Caster." 

Clank. 

The sound of closing door brought back the silence in the room as Caster was rooted in her place, standing beside Rukino's bed with strange look on her face. In one side, she was feeling happy by his words, but in another side she was also feeling conflicted over it. 

"It seems he really cares for you a lot. Why don't you say the truth to him, little girl?" A beautiful figure showed herself from the shadows behind Caster as she spoke softly to her.

"...no, it's fine like this. I don't have much time here before Gaia or Alaya recognize me. I am not really a Servant, and the one who should be 'her' Servant is still out there... fu~ fu~

That's why I need to finish 'it' quick. I... don't want to see him became like that again. 

Besides, when 'it' is completed, 'she' will also wake up. To her, this may only be a dream. But to me, this is really happening... so, let me cherish it as far as it could lasts, Teacher." 

"His future self huh. I wonder how will I compare to him at that time. What do you think of it, little girl?" 

"...unfortunately, you died on his hand, Teacher." Caster said with awkward voice as she looked at Scáthach, feeling troubled by it.

"Really? Then it meant my other self really didn't waste her effort. But then, how can I cross to your world?" Scáthach looked curiously at Caster. 

"Um, one of us have the power of possession, so..." Although she was dumbfounded for a moment due to Scáthach's unexpected response, Caster still managed to reply to her.

"Hmm, I got the gist of it. A reverse possession huh. Interesting. As expected of myself." Scáthach spoke as she smiled a bit complacently at herself. 

"Teacher Scáthach, do you really believe what I have told you?" Caster suddenly asked as she looked directly at Scáthach's eyes. 

".....I believe in my own observation. Although it's quite an impossibility, but your existence proved it otherwise." 

A corner of Scáthach's lips showed a little smile as she spoke, looking gently at Caster. She could sense the anxiety and insecurity that Caster held in her heart as she was once like that too. It's just like seeing her past before she grew numb to the affairs of the world, before she secluded herself inside the Land of Shadows. 

Because she could foresee the future, she lost the right to savor the unexpected things the world offered. As her spear tore through countless higher beings, and she was bathed in their blood and prestige, Scáthach gradually turned into something more than a human as she approached the rank of Divine Spirit with an undefined lifespan. In the end, she decided to close herself up in the Land of Shadows. 

Her enjoyment later on came only from her love for nurturing worthy heroes as they ventured into the Land of Shadows, seeking to be her apprentice. 

She trained many Celtic warriors who ended up creating their own legendary feats. One of the famous hero she taught was Cú Chulainn, son of the God of Light Lugh, acclaimed through Ulster and the land beyond it as one of the most valorous heroes.

However, her purpose in training those heroes wasn't only for her to enjoy the process. She wished there would be someone among them who could finally grant her a release from her long period of life, ultimately granting her a chance to die. 

Unfortunately, even her best pupil, Cú Chulainn, was unable to take the life of such transcendent being like herself. 

"Thank you, Teacher..." Caster said softly as she felt like a burden was released from her heart. 

Caster could be said to be someone who was 'alone' in the current timeline, drifting from unknown future into current era. From her point of view, she was suddenly placed into something which was both familiar and unfamiliar to her. It felt like all of what she knew was only a dream, causing her a complex sense of alienation and familiarity to her surrounding. 

Her happiness when she was with him, the deaths of their friends, the pain of separation... all those returned to their previous state as if she was being given a clean slate, again. 

That's why having another person who could believe her, understand her feeling, was actually a kind of help for her...

"Hmm, about your plan, after I analyzed it, it is feasible. Combining my knowledge on Primordial Runes and your magic formation, we can create 'it' as per your design. That something to bypass your so-called 'System'." 

"...finally, it's the time. Let's start on it, Teacher." Caster spoke with serious look on her face as she waved her hand, creating multiple barriers inside the room. 

Various magic runes arranged themselves to cover the whole room, forming an invisible fortress which could repel even a Servant's Noble Phantasm. Unless it's a Noble Phantasm ranked at least A+, they would be nullified by the invisible fortress. It's most important function however wasn't for a protection...

After she put enough protection inside the room, Caster followed Scáthach into the Land of Shadows through a rift on the space. As she left, another Caster slowly materialized beside Rukino, looking as mysterious as usual. Nothing seemed to change in the room even after Scáthach and Caster ventured into the Land of Shadows.

... 

Outside Luvia's mansion. 

Rafi was making his way into the Mage's Association as he decided to look for another clues there. Although Caster didn't have clear answer to cure Rukino's condition, but at least she told him what's wrong with Rukino. 

'Since it's an injury on her spirit, then perhaps spirit mending medicine should works best on her. But still, it's said that injury on the soul is a delicate issue... no matter what, there must be a way.' 

When Rafi was in deep thought, a voice sounded from beside him. 

"Master, is it really fine to leave lady Rukino's protection to Caster?" Gawain suddenly asked.

While they were not in battle mode, Rafi decided to let Gawain staying in his physical form, with the condition that he would wear casual clothes rather than armor... In the end, Gawain chose to wear a blue T-shirt and a black pant which were to his liking. At a glance, considering his extraordinary muscle proportion, Gawain looked like the ideal rugby player who's the star of his team...

"Hmm, yeah. It's no problem. She's her Servant anyway." Despite slightly surprised at Gawain's question, Rafi replied unhurriedly to him.

"...she's too mysterious, Master." Meanwhile, Gawain was still feeling slightly confused as his Master seemed to be calmer than he thought. He already knew that Rukino was someone important to his Master. Even so his Master still felt assured to let that unknown Caster to stay around his defenseless partner, allowing Caster to protect Rukino...

At first, since he was summoned into the current Holy Grail War, Gawain already swore to himself to be his Master's sword, to help him winning the War. His greatest regret in his previous life was to not devote himself thoroughly for his King's sake, letting his personal grudges affected his judgement and loyalty to his King; which in the end even caused his King's demise. 

Now that Gawain was given another chance by being summoned in the Holy Grail War as a Servant, he would try to redeem his past mistake. It's none other than by devoting himself thoroughly for the sake of his current King, his Master. He was worried for his Master's sake as his Master seemed strangely at ease letting that dubious Caster to safeguard Rukino.

"Now that you said it, she's indeed mysterious. Everything about her is hidden, as if they're shrouded inside a layer of fog."

"Then..."

"However, I feel like I can trust her, Gawain. It may sounds weird, but she feels strangely familiar to me...

Perhaps there's another reason why she hides her identity. Until she decides to reveal it on her own initiative, I'll hold back my curiosity.

The cause of her summoning is really similar to someone I know. *sigh*... maybe some truths are better be hidden." 

When Gawain saw the profound light inside his Master's eyes, he realized that his Master seemed already have a clue of who's Caster. It's perhaps because of that reason his Master believed Caster to such extent. 

'Is she Master's acquaintance...? Just what kind of miraculous coincidence is this...' 

As they were walking through London's street in that afternoon, surrounding pedestrians on the street slowly became thinner. 

"Gawain, didn't Luvia and Rin say they're going to the Clock Tower last morning??" 

"I believe so. They also said that Master was also invited to the Clock Tower, but..." 

"Ah, I forgot about that. Well, I hope I didn't miss anything there. Ugh, if I really missed something, it will be Caster's fault!" Rafi slightly frowned as he imagined Caster's victory laugh when she successfully drove him away. For some reason, that image was quite irritating to him...

"....." While Gawain was silent as he thought, 'Master, are you in position to blame Caster...? Because it seems to me that you enjoy your interaction with Caster though.'

The street gradually became even quieter, no people who went to or back from work, no moving vehicles in sight, all the parked cars were empty. It's as though there're no people at that busy hour. That strange situation immediately alerted the pair of Master and Servant as they felt familiar fluctuation of mana and magecraft from surrounding area.

"Master, it's a diversion enchantment. I am not affected because of my magic resistance, but looking at its area of effect, this degree of magecraft should be from someone at the level of Caster Servant." Gawain reminded Rafi as he immediately equipped his armor.

"Let's see just who is playing this little trick. Hide yourself first, Saber." 

"As you wish." Gawain replied as he turned into his spiritual form, ready to strike at any given moment.

As they kept following the street heading to the Association, at a particular corner of the street, Rafi saw a priest stood there calmly as though he already knew they would be coming, and he was waiting for their arrival. 

"Master of Saber, I presume? I am the current overseer sent by the Church for this Great Holy Grail War, Shirou Kotomine." That priest spoke courteously, showing his genial smile as he looked at Rafi. 

"...Master of Assassin, huh. What do you want?" Looking around the empty surrounding, Rafi knew it must be Semiramis's doing which silently cleared the area. 

"Mind if we talk for a moment?" A fleeting trace of surprise flashed inside the priest's eyes for a moment before he quickly hid it, returning his calmness.

"Not interested." Rafi replied shortly as he didn't really want to have any contact with that fake priest. 

Rafi intended to walk past him when that fake priest suddenly spoke while keeping his smile, "I heard Caster's Master is your partner... and she seems to be in trouble currently?" 

His words brought Rafi to a stop as he suddenly flashed, moved in front of Shirou with lightning speed. His hand formed a pincer as he went for Shirou Kotomine's neck. 

However, before Rafi was just inches away from Shirou, several black chains suddenly appeared as they bound his hand tightly, stopping him on his track. 

"Impudent! Such a boorish Master!" A furious voice sounded from beside Shirou Kotomine as a beautiful figure then materialized at his side. 

She was such a breath-taking beauty who was also gorgeously draped inside midnight cloak. Her lustrous long black hair was like starless night, matching her regal appearance. Her pointy ears made her looked like an elf from the lore. Subconsciously, she exuded royal and majesty aura, a proof that she was one who's accustomed to rule over others before. Just being near her, others could feel the pleasant aroma emanating from her; an intoxicating, refreshing and yet also a dangerous aroma... 

However, at the moment, her expression was cold as she scowled at Rafi who was intending to harm her Master. 

"Calm down, Assassin." 

"Hmph. Just why do we need to talk to him?" 

"He's our ally, Assassin. Besides, I believe he's just that anxious for his partner." Shirou Kotomine said as he smiled toward Rafi who was looking coldly at them. 

"...if you dare to have any design on her, I won't hesitate to pay any price to annihilate you, Shirou Kotomine..." 

As Rafi said so, several arcs of white lightning flashed around him, destroying the black chains binding him. 

"Hmph." Seeing her poisonous chains were being destroyed quite easily, Semiramis scowled even more at Rafi. 

"I don't have any thought on her. However, since this is our first formal meeting, I will tell you something. If you want to help her, you will probably need to go to the Clock Tower's Botany Faculty, Master of Saber." 

After saying so, Shirou Kotomine and Semiramis started to walk away from Rafi, leaving him who looked confused by that information. Meanwhile their surrounding area also became normal again as the strange silence was broken and many pedestrians appeared along the street. Shortly after, before Shirou Kotomine and Semiramis truly disappeared from his view, Rafi asked them,

"Hey, what do you mean by that?!" 

Though, the reply he got was only a mysterious smile from Shirou Kotomine as he then said, "Let's meet again later, Master of Saber. I hope we can have proper cooperation at later date." 

Due to his loud shout, several people distanced themselves from Rafi as they looked at him with strange gaze. 

Disregarding the looks from his surrounding, Rafi continued to walk to the Clock Tower as he was thinking about that encounter with the fake priest.

'Tch. That fake priest... still, the Botany Faculty huh. Just what he did mean by th- ah?! Did he mean her? 

If it's her - no, there's no precedent that she should know a cure for something like Rukino's case. But, there's also nothing to rule out the probability that she knows something about it... Agh, fine, it's better to confirm it with her first.' 

Unknowingly, while he was thinking about that, Rafi already arrived in front of the Clock Tower. Just as he wanted to ask around the way to get to Botany Faculty, he spotted Rin who just came out of a particular building inside the Clock Tower. 

"Ah, Tohsaka...?" Rafi intended to call out to her for asking the direction to Botany Faculty, however, as he looked closely at her, her expression was not right as she had a furious and sad look on her face. It's as if she was just greatly wronged... 

"Hm, who called me?" Rin Tohsaka looked around as she felt someone just called her. It didn't take long for her before she found Rafi walked to her. 

"You- do you know that you're late to the meeting among Masters?! Do you know what you missed?!" Rin spoke as she glared at him, looking as though she would devour him alive if she could... Even so, despite her furious expression, it still couldn't hide the subtle concern hidden inside her voice. 

"Oh, okay, looks like I missed quite an important meeting. However, there's something I need to talk to you, Tohsaka." 

Contrary to Rin's expectation, Rafi shrugged it off calmly as he didn't look bothered in the slightest. To her surprise, he suddenly grabbed her hand as he began to lead her away. 

"Hey, hey, what are you doing?!" She protested a little when she was suddenly brought away like that. Still, it seemed he ignored her little protest as he insisted and kept holding her hand tightly. 

"You look like you're about to cry, Tohsaka. Don't you have something you need to say?" 

"It's none of your business. I can handle it on my own." Rin replied coldly as she tried to shake his hand away. 

"I just don't like seeing you being sad like that. Tell me what's troubling you, perhaps I can help it, Tohsaka." Though, Rafi didn't budge in the slightest, still refusing to let her go. 

"You can't even handle your own problem, just how can you help me?! Isn't Rukino still...- ah,... I am sorry. I didn't mean it like that..." 

After some times passed, her protest became weaker as she became quiet, allowing him to bring her away from that place. 

After a period of silence among them, he said to Rin, "...I know. It's fine, I can find ways to help both of you." 

As he looked at Rin Tohsaka who seemed in distraught, for some reason, he tightened his hold on her as if he wanted to assure her that all would end well eventually. Although Rin Tohsaka was still quiet as before, perhaps it's because she got his meaning or it's because of other reason, but he could see that her previously distraught expression loosened, being slightly at ease...

6