Chapter 38
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

{How are things looking, Huehue?}

{I’m amazed at how many people showed up.}

A mass of people joins together for the festivities hosted by Romina and the monastery. It is amazing that so many people, as poor as can be, are willing to work together to support the orphanage. I knew there was a reason why I wanted to stay here, well before the Commandante established himself.

[m_t]

“Huehue, is Papi watching?”

“And listening, little Milagros.”

{Huehue! Why did you tell her that?}

“Oh, ok. Hi Papi! I miss you. Get some rest!”

Huehue bends over and provides Milagros with the biggest hug.

{You didn’t have to do that.}

{But it’s what you would have done.}

{I’m sure she appreciates it, especially coming from you, Huehue.}

“Are you ready to perform?”

“Of course, nena. Let the people come to me! I am here in all my glory!” Huehue embellishes her statement with her arms wide open and the largest grin I’ve seen on her yet.

“Come on everyone! And watch the beautiful acrobat and performer Huehue!”

Huehue begins to dance and parade around her small area. She does some summersaults, a handstand, cartwheels, and many other acrobatic tricks. She is as graceful and nimble as can be imagined. From my point of view, the world tilts and turns on several different axes.

{Don’t get dizzy, Alvaro.}

People begin to crowd around Huehue. Milagros walks around carrying a small pouch for “doñations.” Huehue is definitely a hit with this crowd.

“Here you go, Milagros."

Huehue stops long enough for me to spot the owner of the voice.

“Lt. Lavina! Thank you!”

“Consider it a gift from the Commandante himself.”

“Um…is he here?”

“He’s standing over there near the church entrance. He said he loves your acrobat. What’s her name?"

Milagros is happy to see her. I’m sure she sees her as a relative, far removed, considering the brief history Lavina has with me. Lavina was present at Milagros's birth but there is no way Milagros can remember that far back. What’s making her uneasy though is the presence of the Commandante. There is no way we could have avoided him.

“Socorro! Help!”

{What’s going on?}

{Looks like the thieves have made their presence known, Alvaro.}

0