Chapter 39
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

{What are you up to, Huehue?}

{Well, we have to put a stop to that thief.}

{How are you going to do something like that?}

Huehue does not answer. She simply moves away from the makeshift stage and wallops one thief in the face before he can escape.

{He has an interesting scent. One of Mesquite it seems.}

She fails to acknowledge me as I continue to question her. She also fails to acknowledge the people around her.

“You there!”

{Alvaro, it’s your precious friend Lavina. What do you want me to do?}

{Do not engage! Get out of there!}

Huehue runs away from the crowd and kicks another person, carrying t square in the face. They turn to swing with a rapier but they fail to connect with her.

{By the way, your friend carried the same scent of Mesquite on her person.}

I can hear people gasping as they see Huehue in action. She takes another man out and lets loose against a woman as well. The woman is also a tough fighter and does not back down. I feel the excitement in Huehue and the smile on her face.

{You can't just do this…}

I try to stop her but she seems wild and untamed. She is enjoying herself.

{I think…He’s…the last one!}

She duals another thief with her two daggers and gains the upper hand in little time.

{Huehue, can you at least run into an alley? Change before people see you and connect you with Sister Romina’s rebeldes? Come on! You know you are smarter than that.}

{You…are…right…but…the one got away.}

HUEHUE

{Fine!}

She runs into the shadows and returns in a puff of smoke. in her bandit form. She does not break her speed or her concentration.

{Not exactly what I had in mind.}. I’m certain that someone may have seen her run out change and run back in. People are not as dumb as she may believe them to be, or naive.

Huehue runs on all four limbs and leaps into the air. She pulls her dual pistols out of thin air and fires two magical shots. They bounce and ricochet off the adobe walls and hit the thief in the two legs. People duck for cover at the sound of her pistols. Others run out of the street and plow into one another.

{Huehue!}

{I got them all, Alvaro. Are you not proud of me?}

{Huehue. You could have hurt someone.}

{I did hurt many someones!}

{Not the thieves, Huehue. I mean the people in the street. The bystanders.}

{Oh. Don’t worry. I’m sure…}. Huehue tries to catch her breath.

I can see through her eyes that she notices a young lady in the street being cared for by Milagros. I recognize the young woman.

{That’s Rocio!}

Huehue quickly transforms herself back into her normal attire. She runs through the crowd.

“Milagros! Are you all right!”

“Yes, Huehue. But Rocio. She’s hurt badly. We need to get her to the doctor.”

Dr. Sepúlveda miraculously appeared out of nowhere. "I’m right here, Milagros! Let me look at her.”

“How, is she, Dr.?

“I’ll need your help, Huehue to get her to my clinic and into a bed. She’s knocked out and bruised from the stampede of people running from the gunfire. Nonetheless, I’m sure she will be all right in time.”

{Gracias a dios! Rocio is a good woman.}

{I am sorry, Alvaro. I didn’t think…}

I struggle to speak. My words are hard to find. Part of me is disappointed. The other part is filled with rage at being unable to do a thing to help.

{Just…just help her and Dr. Sepúlveda. And get yourself home with Milagros. There is no time to waste thinking about regret.}

{Yes, Alvaro.}

I did not realize I was holding my breath. I let it out slowly.

{Alvaro…I’m…I’m sorry.}

I don’t respond.

...

0